Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

So here I am again.

Met a wonderful guy in October on pof, but after six weeks from his pov it wasn't a runner. It's only now I'm coming around to the fact that he ain't coming back. So I'm trying to back on the saddle, admittedly, it's only half hearted.

Had a look on okc and there were only two guys in my area. :( I could be sitting on this shelf for quite some time whether I like it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

My date this weekend cancelled! I'm loosing faith in it! Between cancelled date and 2nd dates never materialising I'm ready to give up.

So here I am again.

Met a wonderful guy in October on pof, but after six weeks from his pov it wasn't a runner. It's only now I'm coming around to the fact that he ain't coming back. So I'm trying to back on the saddle, admittedly, it's only half hearted.

Had a look on okc and there were only two guys in my area. :( I could be sitting on this shelf for quite some time whether I like it or not!

Would you consider looking further a field! Next town for example or a different site. Cool name by the way!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mood wrote: »
    My date this weekend cancelled! I'm loosing faith in it! Between cancelled date and 2nd dates never materialising I'm ready to give up.

Never give up. Sometimes I feel like giving up, then I remember how awesome I am and all is good again :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Has anyone noticed how what some people say in profile don't make sense? for example I've noticed some guys say they don't believe in marriage but scroll down and they state that they want to meet a girl who thinks marriage is important. Such inconsistencies are very common!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Has anyone noticed how what some people say in profile don't make sense? for example I've noticed some guys say they don't believe in marriage but scroll down and they state that they want to meet a girl who thinks marriage is important. Such inconsistencies are very common!

Just means they are indecisive. Everyone has their faults! :pac:

Larianne wrote: »
    Just means they are indecisive. Everyone has their faults! :pac:

So about 70% of grown men are that indecisive! :confused:

Do they not realise that what they write could mean they are just meeting women who what different things? More honest is badly needed on profile I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Would you consider looking further a field! Next town for example or a different site. Cool name by the way!!!

Well when I say town, I actually mean county :eek: Had a gander on connecting singles there, there's a few on it but none that took my fancy

Well when I say town, I actually mean county :eek: Had a gander on connecting singles there, there's a few on it but none that took my fancy

POF?? I know some people hate it. What I did was turn my profile private and then contacted guys that I liked. Took away a lot of the nonsense that you get on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭amacca

Larianne wrote: »
    POF?? I know some people hate it. What I did was turn my profile private and then contacted guys that I liked. Took away a lot of the nonsense that you get on the site.

interesting....what would you make of a guy doing the same thing?

not a loaded question btw....sounds like something I could try

course you will only be contacting public profile people and the site could eventually turn into loads of undercover ninjas hunting down the few remaining public profile singles :pac:

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    interesting....what would you make of a guy doing the same thing?

not a loaded question btw....sounds like something I could try

course you will only be contacting public profile people and the site could eventually turn into loads of undercover ninjas hunting down the few remaining public profile singles :pac:

Well I'd always send a photo in my opening message on POF. Although I also did the same for OKCupid but you can't attach a photo so after a few mails I sent a link to some photos of myself. Wanted to see if I could win guys over with my wit and charm first! And it worked. :pac:

If a guy did the same thing as what I did? I'd probably take him more seriously, although I wouild be wary that he wouldn't be very attractive. (in the non photo attachment). I was always honest in my mails and told the guy why I had my profile on private etc. And I think they appreciated the honesty. Although one guy thought I was married/seeing someone. He knows now that isn't the case. ;)

I also think a girl contacting a guy is a bit of a novelty - so I recommend ladies do it more! !

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I have a date tomorrow! And a good feeling about it for once! After the last freak (who I dated for 3 months) who told me he loved me on Xmas Eve then didn't want to see me after Xmas because he has "a busy couple of months coming up", turned up on numerous dating sites in the meantime and then angrily accused me of considering dumping him due to the fact that he's under a lot of pressure at work, its nice to feel enthusiastic about dating again!

My only previous relationship that came from a dating site ended after over a year with the guy just starting to ignore me out of the blue(nothing had happened-can only presume he met someone he liked better and didn't have the balls to actually have the conversation). I sometimes wonder if having met through dating sites somehow absolves (some) people from any sense of decency or good behaviour in relationships? I started to feel as though there was something wrong with me that made people think it was ok to treat me like that, but its not an issue with people I've dated who I met "normally"...only problem is I rarely meet anyone I fancy in the course of everyday life!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Galvasean wrote: »
    Sounds good. best of luck Samich.

Sent another message to a galway girl after the original message I sent to another girl, she asked for a pic too, I sent one. Thought I might have some message in my inbox as wasn't online since 6 or whatever, but no. ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ireland can be a real pain in the bum. So many of the major towns & cities are on the coast ie around the edge of the country. I always find it funny when a website says "we have found the following matches in your area" & they are all at least a 2 hour drive away. The City folk have a much easier time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I had a date today... and tomorrow... both cancelled!
    But returned home from the pub to find some hot girl literally just messaged me so now were chatting.

Oh Galvasean you sexy beast, if you had a good personality you'd be dangerous! :pac:

I had a date today... and tomorrow... both cancelled!
    But returned home from the pub to find some hot girl literally just messaged me so now were chatting.

Oh Galvasean you sexy beast, if you had a good personality you'd be dangerous! :pac:

Just be careful that she isn't reading this thread. A good read of a Boardies profile & posts will tell someone way more than any profile :eek:

Discodog wrote: »
    Just be careful that she isn't reading this thread. A good read of a Boardies profile & posts will tell someone way more than any profile :eek:

I know what you mean, but i post as myself on Boards, so there's nothing on here that I dont identify with. So if people don't like me on Boards then fair enough. If they dont like my Boards stuf they wont like me in person.

(actually, one girl I dated before kopped who I was on Boards, but fair play to her she told me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Date number 4 tomorrow, meeting for lunch. :-) She's off away for a week on Friday, hopefully she'll still want to make date 5 when she comes back!

I know what you mean, but i post as myself on Boards, so there's nothing on here that I dont identify with. So if people don't like me on Boards then fair enough. If they dont like my Boards stuf they wont like me in person.

(actually, one girl I dated before kopped who I was on Boards, but fair play to her she told me)

I read a funny article by a guy who met someone online & then discovered that they had a twitter account in the same name with loads of tweets discussing members of the dating site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

sharper wrote: »
    People misrepresenting themselves is bad but comments like "another fatty" makes it hard to feel sorry for your situation.
    I agree.
    glasso wrote: »
    "bubbly personality" would be better? It's just a euphemism for the same thing...
    johnr1 wrote: »
    No. That's not what bubbly personality means at all.

Important word in that sentence is bolded for you.
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Except it is pretty much what it means, and your either very sheltered or very naive if youve never seen it used or heard in the context to describe someone whos overweight without calling them overweight.
    However i agree with not using the term "another fatty", its a pretty horrible way to describe someone
    Yeah I'm sheltered/ facepalm.
    Pembily wrote: »
    Eh no! I've a bubbly personality and I'm not fat! Definitely no a euphemism!
    Thank you, and no you're not.
    glasso wrote: »
    see definition number 10.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bubbly&page=2

adj. A lady of sizeable proportions. Often used as an inoffensive term to describe a chubby lady in a situation which requires you not to alienate the person before they are introduced.

If bubbly is used with the suffix 'personality', you are nearly always guaranteed that the lady in question will be of the Michelle McManus school of eating.
    In the context of attempting to set up your chubby-chasing friend with an acquaintence: - "oh yeah, you'll love her, she's got a really bubbly personality."

You then quote urbandictionary to support your argument. Tbh that only shows up your argument for what it is. Jesus Christ. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I dont mean thats what it always means, simply that it can be used in that context and deffinitely is at times, arguing that its not used that way cus you dont use it in that way is just pointless

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dont mean thats what it always means, simply that it can be used in that context and deffinitely is at times, arguing that its not used that way cus you dont use it in that way is just pointless

True, some people obviously do use it to mean fat. Says more about them tbh.

Anyway, we/I are derailing.

In fairness - at least 3/5 women I've come across with "bubbly" on their profiles have then turned out to be overweight.

In fairness - at least 3/5 women I've come across with "bubbly" on their profiles have then turned out to be overweight.

Well apparently 60% of women and 50% of men in this country are, so that would probably hold true for the bubbly people too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Exactly. It's like, prefer not to say body types are never women who have anorexia, I've noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Exactly. It's like, prefer not to say body types are never women who have anorexia, I've noticed.

Maybe, but you could have phrased that a little better.

an open letter to women,
    Please don't tell me you are not "ready" for dating when you have taken the time to mail me to tell me how 'cute' I am on a dating site.
    It's confusing at the best of times. :)

an open letter to women,
    Please don't tell me you are not "ready" for dating when you have taken the time to mail me to tell me how 'cute' I am on a dating site.
    It's confusing at the best of times. :)

Story of my life, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I got a message from a lovely girl in Croatia of all places. Not sure why though, her profile looks very genuine.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    I got a message from a lovely girl in Croatia of all places. Not sure why though, her profile looks very genuine.

I keep getting random women from all over the world viewing my profile on OKCupid on a fairly regular basis. Strangely enough, the majority are American.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement