Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Got a really nice message from someone, but not my type. From reading the posts here, replying if you're not interested is not the done thing by most people?

Opinions are divided on that to be honest. When I was a newbie I replied to everyone then I stopped. Now I reply to some but not all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Galvasean wrote: »
    I hope too many of ye aren't going kanoodlin' on Saturday. We need to populate the beers!

Oh I'll be coming alright, it'll be later in the night.

Quite nervous about the whole thing to be honest. I haven't drank in a month and I have a feeling its going to go to my head.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Oh I'll be coming alright, it'll be later in the night.

Quite nervous about the whole thing to be honest. I haven't drank in a month and I have a feeling its going to go to my head.

I will be there too - will be nice to put faces to names or not! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I hope too many of ye aren't going kanoodlin' on Saturday. We need to populate the beers!

We can re-populate at the beers...

Elessar wrote: »
    So I message another cute girl on POF and we get chatting and after a few hours I add her to facebook. FFS she's another fatty who's profile pics were a few years old. Sorry to be blunt but I'm getting sick of this lads.

*sigh*

even worse when you don't find out before meeting them and it's a greater waste of time and money!

If I bother to continue with this I'm demanding recent full-body photos....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Got a notification I received a new mail on OKC last night. I have been emailing back and forth with a girl but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere beyond conversation so I thought it would be another one from herself but it turned out it was from a different woman who said she loved my profile.

I check her profile and she is absolutely gorgeous.

211092_242669842430795_4056741_n.jpg

But then I notice on her profile she is only looking for friends.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN3fSuqjBcrDlDxMZXM8OpXZzoTvjIirMF0FIXMfjo7PPx4dDqag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Maguined wrote: »
    Got a notification I received a new mail on OKC last night. I have been emailing back and forth with a girl but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere beyond conversation so I thought it would be another one from herself but it turned out it was from a different woman who said she loved my profile.

Yeah, what is with that. I've seen it soooooo many times. :confused:

You never know though. People often put friends so they can be a bit more discerning about who they date! If you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Actually guys don't panic!! I'm guilty of doing that in the past!! My reasoning was that if i said i wanted a relationship guys would run a mile. If i said just friends that wouldn't sound so desperate or needy!! :rolleyes:
    I know I know!! Overthinking it?!... Moi?!...

I'd give it a go. She might just be trying to be cool? :cool:

If I see a girl's profile has listed they're looking for friends, I will never mail them, despite how interesting their profile is or how pretty they might be. I'm not on a dating site looking for friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭amacca

If I see a girl's profile has listed they're looking for friends, I will never mail them, despite how interesting their profile is or how pretty they might be. I'm not on a dating site looking for friends.

I often wonder about the "friends" thing

recently went to speed dating and got six friend matches afterwards...........followed up on a couple of them and nothing doing it would appear

I always thought it was either the girl not wanting to appear desperate or wanting to have options/choose or wanting to be nice but not really interested etc

has anyone here actually developed a platonic friendship after getting a friend match.................is it a cue for wanting to get to know a person more via messaging?

personally I think they should remove the option altogether and leave it at the yes/no stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't see anything wrong with it. I see it as well you aren't leading someone on and not putting yourself under pressure to have to date. Just the matter of getting to know someone what's wrong with that and it may or may not lead to a date? There is still that possibility if a girl could still go on a date?

She is trying to be nice, and be sure too that the guy she goes on a date with is someone she can trust and is genuine and also that there is no high expectations from the start! Its more likely to flow more naturally to either just friends or maybe more. She is weighing out her options but she might just be very fussy who she date but is willing to give most guys a chance and talk to them whether it leads to a date or not what should it matter. You make the effort to talk them isn't that something to break the ice whether it goes any further well you can't control what happens and what the other person is thinking and what they want.

I did that the last time I were on POF, just looking for friends but nothing serious, just a chat but not necessary a date unless I really liked a person and clicked with them.

I've had to decline dates as its not what I was looking for, just looking for friendship nothing more, while other guys just think when I say friends they think I want more but I don't. I feel stating friends would mean I am not leading them on and would mean meeting more genuine guys?

I'm not on POF or any dating site at the moment but have been unsuccessful with online dating and haven't had great experiences of it to be honest with you when online dating a few years ago I was looking for dates yes but signed up again last year for a short while only looking for friends. It was a dead end really for me and found it quiet boring. So gave up on it, think its better meeting in the public eye basing it on personal experiences.

But hey online dating isn't for everyone. No reason why others need to give up on it.

happy online dating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Elessar wrote: »
    So I message another cute girl on POF and we get chatting and after a few hours I add her to facebook. FFS she's another fatty who's profile pics were a few years old. Sorry to be blunt but I'm getting sick of this lads.

*sigh*

People misrepresenting themselves is bad but comments like "another fatty" makes it hard to feel sorry for your situation.

Maybe I'm just a freakish weirdo (well ok I am) but I'd see the route to relationship running through friendship. A lot of people seem to see them as completely different and contradictory things which isn't a distinction I quite grasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

+ a couple of billion.

I'm sort of the same even when it comes to girls who choose the "looking to date but nothing serious" option. I tend to avoid them too, as although I'm not looking to get married tomorrow, I'm not interested in just being some casual thing until she get's bored or think's she has found someone better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

So apparently Irish men are joint lowest in numbers to get in on dating site beautifulpeople.com according to the Irish Times.

Nearly tempted to set up an account to see if I'd be accepted or rejected.

sharper wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a freakish weirdo (well ok I am) but I'd see the route to relationship running through friendship. A lot of people seem to see them as completely different and contradictory things which isn't a distinction I quite grasp.

well maybe I'm the freakish weirdo but if a girl has the option of ticking yes/no/friend beside my name and ticks friend to me its the "meh" not really bothered perhaps I'll keep my options open option rather than the I'd like to get to know this guy and see if there is anything there option

then again maybe I'm just frustrated here............lately I think girls see me as some sort of plaything or friend rather than an actual man they would want to go out with

damn my boyish good looks (perhaps a beard and a "this is sparta" tattoo on my forehead)

People misrepresenting themselves is bad but comments like "another fatty" makes it hard to feel sorry for your situation.

"bubbly personality" would be better? It's just a euphemism for the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Signed up to Beautiful people.com for the lolz, will be rejected but said I'd go on for the look, lots of beautiful people on it anyways :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

One of my mates always befriends the girls he fancies.
    Not working well for him. Not well at all...

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    Signed up to Beautiful people.com for the lolz, will be rejected but said I'd go on for the look, lots of beautiful people on it anyways :P

I'm IN....for now. :P

about 60% beautiful, 30% no and 10% absolutely not :P

I'm IN....for now. :P

about 60% beautiful, 30% no and 10% absolutely not :P

well done you... I think................you say for now, is it provisional until someone runs some sort of beauty software over the digitized image of your face or something involving the golden ratio etc

I have to admit I'm tempted but could I take the rejection......

+just looked at the site.....only 700 couples married for the entire site...that's not a huge number is it

ah just seen the elitist existing beautiful people decide if the new people are beautiful or not..........mixed feelings

amacca wrote: »
    well done you... I think................you say for now, is it provisional until someone runs some sort of beauty software over the digitized image of your face or something involving the golden ratio etc

I have to admit I'm tempted but could I take the rejection......

+just looked at the site.....only 700 couples married for the entire site...that's not a huge number is it

I'm currently out :P

50/50 between the no and beautiful with the absolutely nots creeping up. Expecting it to go well down.

EDIT: The No's have taken the lead and beautiful just slightly ahead of absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Never heard of that Beautiful people site. I did hear of one called Elite Dating, I think their tag-line is something like "For successful people".

I was tempted to make a fake profile and let on I was some sort of millionaire just to see if any sort of gold diggers came along :)

G-Money wrote: »
    Never heard of that Beautiful people site. I did hear of one called Elite Dating, I think their tag-line is something like "For successful people".

I was tempted to make a fake profile and let on I was some sort of millionaire just to see if any sort of gold diggers came along :)

Beautiful people lets you sign up, put up a pic. Then the accepted users vote you hot or not.

I'm currently out :P

50/50 between the no and beautiful with the absolutely nots creeping up. Expecting it to go well down.

EDIT: The No's have taken the lead and beautiful just slightly ahead of absolutely not.

I wouldn't worry too much....as they say themselves

"BeautifulPeople does not define beauty it simply gives an accurate representation of what society's ideal of beauty is as decided by the members"

so technically you could still be beautiful just not societies ideal of beauty as voted on by their members who could in fairness be a pack of arseholes voting on a pic at 4 o clock in the afternoon:pac:

Things are going downhill and the hill is steep :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

amacca wrote: »
    so technically you could still be beautiful just not societies ideal of beauty

What is this? a christina aguillera song?

Hmm, just shot up to about 90% beautiful and back in, don't know how that happens?

• Advertisement

One of my mates always befriends the girls he fancies.
    Not working well for him. Not well at all...

Befriending someone with the intention of getting into a relationship with them, without them knowing about it, is a different thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement