Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The hurdle race at Kelso today usually throws up a nice horse for Cheltenham.

I see Binocular has swerved the race today, but he is running in a beginners' chase at Clonmel tomorrow. An interesting move

Thats the other Binocular!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Thats the other Binocular!!!
    Don't be ridiculous, there can only be one Binocular

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The hurdle race at Kelso today usually throws up a nice horse for Cheltenham.

I see Binocular has swerved the race today, but he is running in a beginners' chase at Clonmel tomorrow. An interesting move

He has always had the look of a chaser about him alright Urban, that Henderson lad hasnt a clue, slightly suprised they moved him to Pat Flynn though, Mullins musnt have had room :p

Sizing Europe
    West Brit
    Big Bucks
    Master Minded
    Kauto Star
    Quevega
    Hurricane Fly
    Garde Champetre

$100 on the accum @ 140/1!:cool:

Master Minded won't even be going to Cheltenham,he'll be lucky to race again. Did you place the bet?

He has always had the look of a chaser about him alright Urban, that Henderson lad hasnt a clue, slightly suprised they moved him to Pat Flynn though, Mullins musnt have had room :p
    I was wondering about that. He looks like he'll be tasty odds too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Don't be ridiculous, there can only be one Binocular
    No there can! there is two, one of them has his good days and the other doesn't!

No there can! there is two, one of them has his good days and the other doesn't!
    I was pulling your leg :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

Sizing Europe
    West Brit
    Big Bucks
    Master Minded
    Kauto Star
    Quevega
    Hurricane Fly
    Garde Champetre

Best of luck with Master Minded

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Sizing Europe
    West Brit
    Big Bucks
    Master Minded
    Kauto Star
    Quevega
    Hurricane Fly
    Garde Champetre

I'll lay you 250/1 on that bet. Max stake $1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Anyway, back on topic. Last Installment won't be going in the RSA now due to a leg injury picked up on Sunday. Will shake the market up slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Last Installment out of Cheltenham.

Colonel Sanders is obv the blight in horses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Last Installment out of Cheltenham.

Colonel Sanders is obv the blight in horses

Dear god..... I was waiting for NRNB to back it because of the ground worries

Doesn't sound serious so hopefully he'll be back next season. Interesting to read Geraghty say he thought he was finally a potential gold cup horse from an Irish yard after a bit of a barren spell since War Of Attrition

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

First Lieutenant for me now.

Hoping Morris has given him some extensive schooling. Must have a great chance as I'm not buying into the Grand Crus hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Slattsy wrote: »

Hoping Morris has given him some extensive schooling. Must have a great chance as I'm not buying into the Grand Crus hype.

It's not hype. He was a 170+ rated hurdler who has taken to fences really well. Travels and jumps as well as anything.

Today I heard that another Gigginstown horse is out aswell, but can't remember for the life of me. Anyone care to refresh my memory?

It's not hype. He was a 170+ rated hurdler who has taken to fences really well. Travels and jumps as well as anything.

Ah I dunno Richie, just a feeling he's not as good as they make out. Hurdle ratings don't always apply to novice chasers, look at Time for Rupert.

Aw ya. Quito De La Roque out of the GC too

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Hoofer

Last Installment was never going to run in the RSA..Davy Russell was always going to ride First Lieutenant anyways..just watch this horse come cheltenham..hel power up the hill on better ground..as I said before Mouse will have his jumping well sorted and highly tuned for the RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Personally I wouldn't touch First Lieutenant, haven't been impressed with him over fences so far and really needs to improve his jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ah I dunno Richie, just a feeling he's not as good as they make out. Hurdle ratings don't always apply to novice chasers, look at Time for Rupert.

I think Grands Crus is the real deal. He has been excellent in his 3 runs over fences so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Throw in Bog Warrior and the Nicholls horse (name escapes me) and it's a tricky RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Buena Vista has ran at the festival every year since 2005 and his record there at the festival is unreal.

2005 3rd in champion bumper beaten 6 1/4L by Missed That
    2006 3rd in supreme novices hurdle beaten 1 1/2L by Noland
    2007 6th in Arkle beaten 33L by My Way The Solzen
    2008 5th in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beaten 7 3/4L by Ballyfitzin
    2009 2nd in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beaten 2L by Kafy Aris
    2010 1st in in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beat Prince Erik 5L
    2011 1st in in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beat Son Amix 4L

Hes 20/1 again this year for the pertemps final.
    His age at 11 must be a negative but he has to be worth a bet each way
    on his festival form alone.

His current form is bad but its the same every year hes beaten out of sight in most races before cheltenham so that would'nt put me off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Right, this is the final warning - can we please keep this thread (and the others) on topic and quit the constant bickering which is, to be honest, very annoying. Anyone who can't behave will find themselves taking a holiday from the forum. If you've any queries, please drop me a PM. C

Johner wrote: »
    I think Grands Crus is the real deal. He has been excellent in his 3 runs over fences so far.

He jumps and travels like a dream but there most certainly has to be question marks over whether he truely stays a properly run 3M and if as I suspect he doesnt then the RSA is where he will be found out, at the moment Im leaning towards Bob's Worth, but an interesting one to consider is Sir Des Champs, I think they may redirect him here now that the other Giggingstown horse is out and he would have to have a serious chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Johner wrote: »

He jumps and travels like a dream but there most certainly has to be question marks over whether he truely stays a properly run 3M and if as I suspect he doesnt then the RSA is where he will be found out,

Over fences maybe..over hurdles he had no problem. Genuine question - Would the bigger jumps have much impact on his staying ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Buena Vista has ran at the festival every year since 2005 and his record there at the festival is unreal.

2005 3rd in champion bumper beaten 6 1/4L by Missed That
    2006 3rd in supreme novices hurdle beaten 1 1/2L by Noland
    2007 6th in Arkle beaten 33L by My Way The Solzen
    2008 5th in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beaten 7 3/4L by Ballyfitzin
    2009 2nd in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beaten 2L by Kafy Aris
    2010 1st in in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beat Prince Erik 5L
    2011 1st in in pertemps final h/cap hurdle beat Son Amix 4L

Hes 20/1 again this year for the pertemps final.
    His age at 11 must be a negative but he has to be worth a bet each way
    on his festival form alone.

His current form is bad but its the same every year hes beaten out of sight in most races before cheltenham so that would'nt put me off.

I have backed him for the last 4 years and will be doing the same this year. They keep the blinkers off him all year round and put them on for the festival. The last 2 years he has been ridden by 2 different claimers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

ste2010 wrote: »
    Over fences maybe..over hurdles he had no problem. Genuine question - Would the bigger jumps have much impact on his staying ability?

Horses tend to stay better the larger the obstacle as races tend to be run at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

Posted about this horse the othe day. Just seen this on eircom.net.

Blue team wait on festival ground

Feb 15 2012, 12:17

Conor O'Dwyer is hoping there will be some cut in the ground to allow Folsom Blue to take his chance in the Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham.

The extended three-mile contest is being considered for the Gigginstown House Stud-owned five-year-old, who has shown he handles testing conditions really well.

Trained by O'Dwyer, Folsom Blue has notched up a hat-trick of victories on soft and heavy ground at Limerick, Thurles and Clonmel.

He has stepped up in grade each time, with his latest success coming in a Listed race over two and three-quarter miles at the latter track.

"We've made no firm decision yet, but he came out of his last race in great form and we're thinking about it," said the Co Kildare-based handler.

"A lot would depend on the ground. He handles the Irish heavy ground very well, but Cheltenham is still on the agenda."

Folsom Blue is a best-priced 16-1 shot for the Albert Bartlett.

If SS wins on Friday, which he will now Que Card is out

Cue Card was never the biggest danger to Sprinter Sacre in the GS so his defection is a minor thing.

A novice on only his 3rd chase start against seasoned campaigners in an open Grade 2 cannot be considered banker material. Plenty have tried and failed no matter how good they turned out to be.

If SS is odds on this Friday I will be laying him big.

What price you laying SS buddy???

• Advertisement

ste2010 wrote: »
    Over fences maybe..over hurdles he had no problem.

Personally Im not convinced he actually did stay three miles in a truly run race over hurdles, I think in last years World Hurdle he simply didnt stay, I could be wrong but that was my impression, he is still good enough to win the RSA but he ois one of the favs I think i'll be taking on

Advertisement