Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What do people think of Darlans chances in the Supreme Novices? I've been hearing mixed reports

Entered in Newbury Friday, would definitely hold fire untill after that, hasnt beaten much but has won at chelttenham which is an advantage, thing I didnt like about him was that each of the last two races when challenged at the last didnt jump with any great conviction and I dont think you can get away with that in a supreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

Entered in Newbury Friday, would definitely hold fire untill after that, hasnt beaten much but has won at chelttenham which is an advantage, thing I didnt like about him was that each of the last two races when challenged at the last didnt jump with any great conviction and I dont think you can get away with that in a supreme.

Thats true. The supreme is always a bit of a minefield TBH. Simonsig catches the eye and think he has every chance. Would have liked to have gotten some of the 33-1 available. Will be interesting to see how he runs tomorrow at Kelso, personally I think he will go off favourite for Supreme Novices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Is it too early to create a thread which pokes holes in the favorites of each race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

hucklebuck wrote: »
    ste2010 wrote: »
    I can't believe this is still going on!

I bet you can't believe it's not butter either.

When are you going to change your name to Miss Leading?:D

My lips are sealed from here on in ... Even with my grade A top secret information that come from the local school lollipop lady and the guy at the hotdog stand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Just watched last years County Hurdle again. I still don't know how Get Me Out Of Here didn't win, what a race it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ft9 wrote: »
    Just watched last years County Hurdle again. I still don't know how Get Me Out Of Here didn't win, what a race it was.

Thanks, you just made me cry !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Whys that? You were on Get Me Out Of Here?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Galileos Choice for the supreme lads.. Running tomorrow at Fairyhouse and likely to be slashed if he wins!

ft9 wrote: »
    Whys that? You were on Get Me Out Of Here?

Yeah I had 50 quid on the nose. Just had a funny feeling they were setting him up for Cheltenham so I got on a day or 2 before the race, think it got 12s so would have been a great pay out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

Hey, enjoying the thread and only 4 weeks to go, so just going to add a my few thoughts!
    Try not to back ante-post but indulged the other week! Backed 2 and the double e/w.

Peddlers cross for the arkel. Obvious enough but the 4/1 was too good. If he retains any of the guts and speed he shower in last years champ hurdle I believe he will win. I know Barry G thinks a lot of Sprinter Sacre but hope Peddlers experience will stand to him. 3/1 now but think he will go off joint Fav if not Fav.

Folsom Blue for the Albert Bartlett. 16/1. Saw him in thurles last month and was impressed. I know Beneffcient and Pickapocketortwo both pulled up but he won well and then went on to win a listed hurdle. With a few ahead of him in the betting going to the Neptune I couldn't resist. would love to see Conor O'Dwyer back in the winners enclosure. Think the 3m won't be a problem, not sure about the ground. By Old Vic, can anyone help me here? Also when to expect NRNB on all races?

Other unsubstantiated hunches! Gigginstown to be top owner. W Mullins top trainer. Ruby top jockey. Sizing Europe to destroy a small field. Hurrican Fly to piss it. Both odds-on.Thousand Stars to win the Ryanair hurdle (if only..). Big Bucks and Quevega to be be beaten:eek: only because all good things must come to an end. Will not be laying them tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Think monksland is a great price for the neptune at 11/1, Fancy cinders and ashes e/w for the supreme too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

sq_forever wrote: »
    Thousand Stars to win the Ryanair hurdle (if only..).

World Hurdle?

sonnky wrote: »
    Galileos Choice for the supreme lads.. Running tomorrow at Fairyhouse and likely to be slashed if he wins!

Doubt his price will contract to much. It isnt the strongest race and hes currently only around 12s for the supreme. Seems about right even if he wins tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

3/1 now but think he will go off joint Fav if not Fav.

He won't.
    Think the 3m won't be a problem, not sure about the ground. By Old Vic, can anyone help me here?

He definitely wants some ease in the ground to show his best form. Ran in two bumpers on sound enough surfaces but might find things a little too quick at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

Huntey wrote: »
    He won't.

He definitely wants some ease in the ground to show his best form. Ran in two bumpers on sound enough surfaces but might find things a little too quick at this level.

Cheers.Think he will stay and hope he gets his ground. Only a small bet at this stage.
    There will be heaps of money for Peddlers.

I think the 3/1 on PC is short enough right now myself. If SS wins on Friday, which he will now Que Card is out, then you can expect him to shorten slightly again.

The Arkle looks a tight race so the bookies might try push them out on the day and lay the first 2 or 3 in the betting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Slattsy wrote: »
    I think the 3/1 on PC is short enough right now myself. If SS wins on Friday, which he will now Que Card is out, then you can expect him to shorten slightly again.

The Arkle looks a tight race so the bookies might try push them out on the day and lay the first 2 or 3 in the betting.

I would be surprised if Sprinter Sacre shortens after the race, I expect some more money for Peddlers as Gary Nutting stuck him up as his Ante Post pick.

Did I imagine Al Ferof being withdrawn? He is still in B365 market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Huntey wrote: »
    Hopefully there is, I don't think people are stupid enough to back him into favourite though.

Is there a price you would consider too short to back Sprinter Sacre at?

As stated before I think Peddlers will be much better in Chelt as he looked lost going right last time and he tried to kill himself on the 1st or 2nd fence, not sure I would back him if he was shorter than 2/1.

I don't think the bookies would be willing to ease either on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

If SS wins on Friday, which he will now Que Card is out

Cue Card was never the biggest danger to Sprinter Sacre in the GS so his defection is a minor thing.

A novice on only his 3rd chase start against seasoned campaigners in an open Grade 2 cannot be considered banker material. Plenty have tried and failed no matter how good they turned out to be.

If SS is odds on this Friday I will be laying him big.

If SS wins on Friday, which he will now Que Card is out

Cue Card was never the biggest danger to Sprinter Sacre in the GS so his defection is a minor thing.

A novice on only his 3rd chase start against seasoned campaigners in an open Grade 2 cannot be considered banker material. Plenty have tried and failed no matter how good they turned out to be.

If SS is odds on this Friday I will be laying him big.

Well he was 10/11 before CQ defected, so what odds will you give me?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

SS looks special.

I think he will destroy the Arkle, I wouldnt run him this close to it though which is a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

newuser89 wrote: »
    It's hardly stupid to back Peddlers into fav
    He's not a big outsider he's 2nd fav

It is, he has plenty to find no matter what way you look at it.

<snip>

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Is there a price you would consider too short to back Sprinter Sacre at?

As stated before I think Peddlers will be much better in Chelt as he looked lost going right last time and he tried to kill himself on the 1st or 2nd fence, not sure I would back him if he was shorter than 2/1.

I don't think the bookies would be willing to ease either on the day.

I have already stated I think PC will be a lot closer at Cheltenham, he was eased down after the second last when he had no chance. The point still stands though, he has plenty to find to win the Arkle.

I would have to re-analyse in depth but off the top of my head I would probably take everything until he hit evens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I think people would be crazy to back Peddlers' Cross into favouritism. Sprinter Sacre was so impressive the last day I was astounded.

People are making excuses to back Peddlers, and while they do that it'll keep Sprinter's price probably higher than it should be.

Kind of reminds me of Treasure Beach and Carlton House before the Irish Derby. People were making so many excuses for Carlton House after his third in the Derby, that people somehow let Treasure Beach go off at 9/2. Obviously Peddlers' Cross is bigger than SS in this case, but the excuses are continuing much like Stoute's horse, and I think he'll give him a good beating again

Has the Arkle suddenly become a 2 runner event?

Al Ferof for me. Right him off at your peril. Proven at cheltenham and a previous festival winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭El Ninotorres

kiers47 wrote: »

Al Ferof for me. Right him off at your peril. Proven at cheltenham and a previous festival winner.

I agree.. Its far from a two horse race. There are several horse in with a shout IMO.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I think people would be crazy to back Peddlers' Cross into favouritism. Sprinter Sacre was so impressive the last day I was astounded.

People are making excuses to back Peddlers, and while they do that it'll keep Sprinter's price probably higher than it should be.

I agree that Sprinter Sacre deserves to be fav and imo will win but to completlety dismiss the notion that Peddlers Cross might be backed into favourtism is wrong. In the aftermath of theeir encounter Sprinter was installed 2/1 and Peddlers 4/1, its now 9/4 v 11/4 so from a two point margin to a halve point, why is it folly to think that that trend may continue??

I never said it wouldn't happen (but I don't think it will), I just think people would be silly to put him into favourite ahead of SS

kiers47 wrote: »

I agree.. Its far from a two horse race. There are several horse in with a shout IMO.

I think its pretty much a two horse race tbh, yeah possibly Al Ferof may be a danger but after that its as poor in depth as the GC tbh.

The hurdle race at Kelso today usually throws up a nice horse for Cheltenham.

I see Binocular has swerved the race today, but he is running in a beginners' chase at Clonmel tomorrow. An interesting move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Sizing Europe
    West Brit
    Big Bucks
    Master Minded
    Kauto Star
    Quevega
    Hurricane Fly
    Garde Champetre

$100 on the accum @ 140/1!:cool:

Advertisement