Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor humiliates 'simple' people.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

If 'simple' people were banned from performing wouldn't that be discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Regardless of ethics etc, X Factor is just rubbish, as is most TV. Go and read a good book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

PK2008 wrote: »
    If 'simple' people were banned from performing wouldn't that be discrimination?

No, they can perform... but they shouldn't be aired just for humiliation and cheap comedy sakes. It's sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I've never understood why people dislike musicians who don't write their own songs. Would these people be just as scornful towards members of an orchestra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Exploitation of simpletons on TV is hardly new.

That said, what is so disturbing - yet virtually fireproof in terms of condemnation - is that the victims are completely acquiescent - indeed desperately so - in their own humiliation. There is even the weird fact that you can become famous and wealthy despite having no discernible talent and/or being messed up.

So in a perverse way you are enabling their dreams and there is a chance that those nutty dreams have a payload , however hard that is for me to ever understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I've never understood why people dislike musicians who don't write their own songs. Would these people be just as scornful towards members of an orchestra?

ehm without being argumentative here, that isn't a great comparison. there is quite a large gap between an orchestra performing a piece written with the express intention of a large group of people playing it and a pop song written and performed by one person, already recorded and then re-recorded by somebody else slightly differently.

imho as a musician the real talents are writing the song and/or giving a great performance. singing, in and of its own is not exactly a rare talent. the best songs were written with a vocal range in mind. most of the time if a performer has a stunning voice, they will more often than not write their own music.

also i hate the xfactory, not because of the bad tv and mockery of decent people, but because of the fake, factory produced acts it churns out every year squeezing out room for the real musicians working damn hard to do what they love

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

X Factor is just lazy television. It's a cynical ploy to get the yoof of today watching. They are coining it in by offering the songs for sale on iTunes straight away (a very clever move) and the phone lines are buzzing with innocents voting for their favourites week in week out. Voting to keep someone in should be banned. It's manipulative. Of course, if you had to vote someone out, they would have less people voting, as everyone knows the crap one and wouldn't bother. When you look at the competitors on these shows, there's always one who is clearly older and the subject of ridicule. The rest are just young boys and girls completely devoid of personality or originality

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So what cover song are they gonna try and force up our assholes this Christmas? Hope theirs another rebel against it to get another song xmas No.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

aido179 wrote: »
    ehm without being argumentative here, that isn't a great comparison. there is quite a large gap between an orchestra performing a piece written with the express intention of a large group of people playing it and a pop song written and performed by one person, already recorded and then re-recorded by somebody else slightly differently.

imho as a musician the real talents are writing the song and/or giving a great performance. singing, in and of its own is not exactly a rare talent. the best songs were written with a vocal range in mind. most of the time if a performer has a stunning voice, they will more often than not write their own music.

During the competition they sing other people's songs but if they manage to make a career of it they'll end up singing songs that were written for them.

Thinking back the orchestra wasn't the best comparison as the composer gets the recognition whereas writers in pop are totally unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I will always remember a show I watched a few years ago with my old dear, Im not a big fan of the show I dont watch it much, but can anyone remember the graveyard singers, I was just sitting with a large polo mint mouth disbelieving what I saw, they looked pot ugly and were singing songs that wouldnt make it into the top million chart, I think on the same episode there was a big truck of a girl in a daft dress who thought she could sing like Madonna when she sounded more like a shrieking vacuum cleaner.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    So what cover song are they gonna try and force up our assholes this Christmas? Hope theirs another rebel against it to get another song xmas No.1

We need people to focus on one song for this to work, not like last year where several groups tried to promote their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its not exploitation to the degree some say. All the contestants on the show obviously want to be on the X Factor and use the platform it gives them to get into the music industry or to get into showbiz (TV, radio etc). Everyone uses it to some degree. Simon Cowell uses it to make money, contestants use it to try and get careers, ITV use it for ratings etc.

One thing I dont get, why are there no actual bands, why just singers. Wouldnt it be nice to see a group attempt a Radiohead or REM track. Why is there not a talent show pushing bands. Another thing about X factor that grates me is if there are singers with a modicum of talent, by the end of the season or after boot camp, they are simply bland, watered down and unrecognisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its not exploitation to the degree some say. All the contestants on the show obviously want to be on the X Factor and use the platform it gives them to get into the music industry or to get into showbiz (TV, radio etc). Everyone uses it to some degree. Simon Cowell uses it to make money, contestants use it to try and get careers, ITV use it for ratings etc.
    I think the filming of the really out-there auditions, when it's not necessary and is obviously done just for the laugh, is what people view as exploitation. I guess it is, and I feel sorry for some of them, but the arrogant ones who say they're going to be bigger than Madonna and can't sing a note, and then get stroppy with the judges for not letting them through, my sympathy is minimal for.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Is that the contestants or the audience?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

The Cnut-Factor is like a modern version of cheap Victorian variety hall acts , with a bit of a freak show vibe thrown in. I don't know if it humiliates 'simple' people as much as pander to the lowest common denominator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Dudess wrote: »
    I think the filming of the really out-there auditions, when it's not necessary and is obviously done just for the laugh, is what people view as exploitation. I guess it is, and I feel sorry for some of them, but the arrogant ones who say they're going to be bigger than Madonna and can't sing a note, and then get stroppy with the judges for not letting them through, my sympathy is minimal for.
    But they then go to the judges houses and say they need it so much, as if it is crucial for them to live any longer they need to make the live shows. The majority of people who go on the show know what they are getting themselves into.

nix wrote: »
    I like all kinds of music too, but in the pop genre, there hasnt been a talented musician that created his own music since Michael Jackson. The rest is comercial horse ****, written by some guy and performed by whoever luis and simon want to sing it in a studio and lip synq it at their concerts, its fucking disgusting.

Prince

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Well I doubt there is many university professors watching it thats for sure.:D

I was quite a fan of it when i was around 12, afterwards I discovered good music with a level of depth about it, music which has genuinely inspired and affected my way of thinking for the good. To be honest if you are over 14 and taking some enjoyment from a show which is essentially a money making scam for a bunch of record company bigwigs you should take a hard look in the mirror.

In Summary to paraphrase Hunter s Thomspson: I feel the same about x-factor as i do about herpes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the xfactor - retards on television entertaining retards watching television , its kind of sad really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Why is it the people who hate the X factor are the ones who talk about it the most?

They don't talk good things about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

To be honest i laugh at people that watch this show, i know there has been people on the show with obvious mental illnesses who have been made a fool of, but in fairness the people watching and making a mockery of them are far more retarded IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Don't worry OP, it only humiliates them in front of simpler ones that indulge in that Audio Visual effluent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You're seriously comparing members of an orchestra to karaoke singers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

SV wrote: »
    Why is it the people who hate the X factor are the ones who talk about it the most?

Great point!

They don't talk good things about it though.

I find the things I hate the most are the things I will least want to talk about. In any way.

I don't understand the obsession on either side.

Nah I don't buy that argument - if someone finds something really objectionable they give out about it. Especially something as all pervasive as the X Factor.

Nah I don't buy that argument - if someone finds something really objectionable they give out about it. Especially something as all pervasive as the X Factor.

Why keep going on about it?
    If it's that much of a problem and annoys them that much then don't talk about it. Don't give it any attention.

Though I suppose it's an Irish thing. Can't help but give out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

.....the simple people being those who take part, be it competing or the sheeple who watch. As for the facebook updates....

Advertisement