Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor humiliates 'simple' people.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yeah massive :pac: except no americans I know have ever heard of them.

"In February 2007, Lewis signed a £5 million ($9.7 million) five-album contract in the United States with Clive Davis's record label, J Records, and showcased for several American music executives."

$9.7 million... not to be sniffed at. And that's without making money from the x-factor or on tour in either Europe or the states.

Ward made big money in Europe and is working his way through the states now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Chains wrote: »
    /facepalm

Words just can't describe.... I mean... *sigh*

And to your other idea about proving a point with your attitude: I call bull****.

Yep, I can confirm this. Know a few people who went for auditions. Most of them were nice so they didn't get onto the show :P

Did i prove a point with my attitude regardless? Exactly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Chains

Gal pal wrote: »
    I can confirm it too, my brother auditioned last year or the year before.
    He is only average so there was no chance of him going through!!

The fact that everybody is seen before they end up on TV means they are letting these 'vulnerables' through on purpose for entertainment value, which is beyond disgraceful and shameful.

Yeah, that's actually a very good point.

They get people's hopes up and play along with their delusions of grandeur just long enough to get the cameras rolling and capture those beautiful moments of someone who has been misled being told they are utter garbage.

The more I think about it, the angrier I get that naive people are being taken advantage of.

krudler wrote: »
    well to be fair the quality of actual quality tv is superb in recent years, yeah theres tons of sh1te on tv but for every crappy reality show HBO or AMC knocks a few out that are must see viewing:

The Wire
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Boardwalk Empire
    Game Of Thrones

to name but a few, quality tv is there its just stuck between sh1te like X Factor and Jersey Shore.

Oh i know there are gems, im talking about the shows that aren't HBO, the ones that are in trouble of getting axed and frequently do, even if they are great, if they dont hit a certain viewer rating they get axed and thats the end of them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Chains

nix wrote: »
    Did i prove a point with my attitude regardless? Exactly :)

Enough of the flame wars, we have more pressing matters than you backing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Gifted my hole. Can you think of one X-Factor winner who has stood the test of time?

Not just X-Factor, though. Reality TV has found many singers who have gone on to success.

Leona Lewis, JLS, Will Young, Kelly Clarkson, Girls Aloud and Carrie Underwood to name a few.

You may not rate them, but they've all been very successful.

Define success, making great music or whoring consumer products??

As none of them have produced the prior ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Haelium wrote: »
    Really? You're proud of the fact that Jedward are Irish. It reminds me of why people think know that we're a country of idiots.

Who are the people who think Irish people are stupid? Irish people have an incredible reputation across the world that many nations would be proud of, as for jedward they are entertainers and make a very good living from it. if they where two junkie 18 year olds mugging grannies they would probaly be better? if anyone has any evidence that they where planted or where ''trained' my luis walsh then please show it and i will change my tune, until then best not sprout nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

There is, but there should be more. Thats my point, i have to look far and wide to find music. Lets not forget the fact that reality TV is killing real TV shows aswell, a seperate entity is also suffering from this bull****. Its a trend with humanity now.

Its happening in the movie industry now, were getting nothing but remakes.

Why is this? because its better? No, because its CHEAPER to run.

The world of ART is dying to this idiotic bullshit, people used to have to work hard and create great music to get world recognition and fame. Now they just go onto a show and sing talented peoples music. Then when they have to make their own music after winning the show, they don't last long at all, why? because they have no actual talent.

Big picture people, look at it!

Come on now there's plenty of good music still being made. Just ignore x factor and go digging for it.

I don't watch the show because their not trying to do anything new. It's just cover versions of Westlife cover versions.

What I would like to see is a show where the contestants have to write and perform their own material. Stick em in a room and tell them to get writing. Maybe somebody could come up with an instant classic instead of these endless piss weak covers. That's a show I might watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jedward are for small children, and they have an (IMO) unintended comedy value, but their music is still crap. So what if they're Irish and have done well for themselves at a young age? Stating you find their music crap doesn't negate these things, and neither do they cancel out the crapness of the music. If people dislike Jedward, they can say it.

• Advertisement

billybudd wrote: »
    as for jedward they are entertainers and make a very good living from it. if they where two junkie 18 year olds mugging grannies they would probaly be better?
    Where did anyone say or even imply that?

Define success, making great music or whoring consumer products??

As none of them have produced the prior ;)

There's room for all types of music in this world. Nobody forces anyone to buy it. Whatever music you like, you can be sure that someone else thinks you're crazy for liking it.

I prefer older music myself, so would never really buy anything by these artists - I lie, I did buy a Will Young CD last Christmas - but I'm not arrogant enough to think that people who don't share my taste in music or TV shows are automatically stupid.

The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone liked the same things, wouldn't it?

Dudess wrote: »
    Jedward are for small children, and they have an (IMO) unintended comedy value, but their music is still crap. So what if they're Irish and have done well for themselves at a young age? Stating you find their music crap doesn't negate these things, and neither do they cancel out the crapness of the music. If people dislike Jedward, they can say it.

That is not the argument, if you want to hear proper singing then go to the opera. shane mcgowan in my opinion can not sing yet sill has something that makes him valuable.

Wattle wrote: »
    Come on now there's plenty of good music still being made. Just ignore x factor and go digging for it.

I don't watch the show because their not trying to do anything new. It's just cover versions of Westlife cover versions.

What I would like to see is a show where the contestants have to write and perform their own material. Stick em in a room and tell them to get writing. Maybe somebody could come up with an instant classic instead of these endless piss weak covers. That's a show I might watch.

Exactly, ive to go digging for it, and ive to dig very deep, and i know im missing out on lots of great music. remember the time when MTV played music? All kinds of different music? Thats the way music on tv should be, not this diluted talentless pop crap we keep getting shoved in our faces. Its the same on the radio, cept for maybe Nova..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Hi lads would you go give the show a break, if it wasnt for this programme you wouldnt have the extraordinary talents of Steve brookstein and Joe Mcelderry, us mere mortals will never reach their level of talent.
    ;)

This backfired once. When Susan Boyle got up to sing all the judges had these smug expressions and were ready to have a right laugh. Then when it turned out she had a decent voice Simon Cowells jaw dropped. You could see him thinking "she's not anorexic and she's not what most people would call attractive, yet she can sing. How can this be?".
    Lol at the way she was mercilessly jeered at, but once it was established she could sing, it suddenly became no longer acceptable to poke fun at her - despite her being otherwise the same person.

Hypocritical *****.

Where did anyone say or even imply that?

Nowhere, it was in argument to defend two young guys making a very good career or themselves and been ridiculed for it, that would be the opposite side of what they could have done in life.

I think The X Factor is ****, but entertaining **** in places (mostly just filler dross) nonetheless. However I don't get looking down on people who enjoy it - doesn't define them as people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

I think The X Factor is ****, but entertaining **** in places (mostly just filler dross) nonetheless. However I don't get looking down on people who enjoy it - doesn't define them as people.

Yes it does.

There's room for all types of music in this world. Nobody forces anyone to buy it. Whatever music you like, you can be sure that someone else thinks you're crazy for liking it.

I prefer older music myself, so would never really buy anything by these artists - I lie, I did buy a Will Young CD last Christmas - but I'm not arrogant enough to think that people who don't share my taste in music or TV shows are automatically stupid.

The world would be a pretty boring place if everyone liked the same things, wouldn't it?

I like all kinds of music too, but in the pop genre, there hasnt been a talented musician that created his own music since Michael Jackson. The rest is comercial horse ****, written by some guy and performed by whoever luis and simon want to sing it in a studio and lip synq it at their concerts, its fucking disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Not just X-Factor, though. Reality TV has found many singers who have gone on to success.

Leona Lewis, JLS, Will Young, Kelly Clarkson, Girls Aloud and Carrie Underwood to name a few.

You may not rate them, but they've all been very successful.

Fair enough, some are successful, it could be argued that this is due to the whole publicity machine surrounding the X Factor.

Success does not equal talent, however, and I will stand by my first sentence

'Gifted my hole'

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Wattle wrote: »

Didn't they try that with that fame academy show? It lasted about 5 minutes because your AVERAGE(not all) Fix factor fan is also simple & would rather hum along to a westlife cover than hear a new, original song.

I watch it by force (wife) but only from the "judges" houses part onwards. I have no interest in watching people with either no talent or mental problems be booed & laughed at by an audience full of knuckle dragging simpletons & judged by talentless hacks. Shame on Barlow for being involved in this joke of a show.

Exactly, ive to go digging for it, and ive to dig very deep, and i know im missing out on lots of great music. remember the time when MTV played music? All kinds of different music? Thats the way music on tv should be, not this diluted talentless pop crap we keep getting shoved in our faces. Its the same on the radio, cept for maybe Nova..

But MTV only played whatever was in the charts at the time, same as now.

In fact, there's more music channels to choose from now than there ever was....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Equally as simple are the people who think that the only music in the world are the songs sung by contestants on X-factor etc.....

I like all kinds of music too, but in the pop genre, there hasnt been a talented musician that created his own music since Michael Jackson. The rest is comercial horse ****, written by some guy and performed by whoever luis and simon want to sing it in a studio and lip synq it at their concerts, its fucking disgusting.

Obviously you do not go to the many great music venues located in this country that have independent bands, singers and song writers preforming nightly, music is more than a ipod, cd, radio or any other electric device.

But MTV only played whatever was in the charts at the time, same as now.

In fact, there's more music channels to choose from now than there ever was....

No, it had chart programs, it also had lots of other shows/programs which stemmed over multiple genres, headbangers ball, unplugged etc It even had times where it showed random bands playing, regardless of genre/notoriety.

And I dont fancy paying more money for a bundle of channels i wont watch when they split the genre of music and only show the commercial acts. MTV used to have balls long ago, it showed all kinds of music.

billybudd wrote: »
    Obviously you do not go to the many great music venues located in this country that have independent bands, singers and song writers preforming nightly, music is more than a ipod, cd, radio or any other electric device.

I do, its sad that most of the ones i see will never do well for themselves because they arent pretty and lipsinking a studio recorded album. They are the talented ones, not these xfactor lip synqing dribblers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So it's now drifted into a "you don't know music because you like pop" debate....

I do, its sad that most of the ones i see will never do well for themselves because they arent pretty and lipsinking a studio recorded album. They are the talented ones, not these xfactor lip synqing dribblers.

I know and for that reason i do not watch or like the x factory, so many great bands down the years and they went nowhere because they didnt have the ''look'' hopefully one day there will be a movement to get back to basics regarding pop music. even wham to me now seemed like a serious band :pac:

• Advertisement

I like pop music artists, hasn't been one in many years though, let me know if you see one.

Advertisement