Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor humiliates 'simple' people.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Oh yea, Jedward were also a plant... There's photos of them with Luis Walsh before they were even on X-Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I had this argument with someone and they said, the people CHOOSE to go on the show they want to be on TV and that the bottom line.

Its back to the argument....can you save people from themselves, the general belief is that people have total free choice and that include the choice to make a fool of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

smash wrote: »
    They went on a talent show, with no talent. Acted like complete morons and got signed by Luis Walsh. They're not self made, x-factor made them. Luis got them their gigs etc. then sold them on to another management agency because he owned the right to them. And he made more from that sale than they've made. In a few years they'll be nobody.

They had the balls to do it, and what x factor or luis walsh did for them is no different from what management companies do for other stars such as oasis, pearl jam etc, they used their limited talents to become millionaires, its futile and a bit bitter of you to take that away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

The telling description that sticks in mind, and which also covers Big Brother, I'm A Celebrity etc.* is "Kill the Pig Telly".

*But not Masterchef, 'cos I like that, and hypocrisy never hurt anyone. Although I'm not so sure about the Irish version, which has a nastiness that is strikingly absent in the BBC original.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Oh great, yet again people talk about Jedward being rich, here's the thing: Being rich does not change the fact that they are ****ing idiots with no talent, the real question we need to ask ourselves is how society values their services over the services of the teacher, the nurse, the factory worker who actually contribute something of value to society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

smash wrote: »
    Oh yea, Jedward were also a plant... There's photos of them with Luis Walsh before they were even on X-Factor.

whatever, i am proud of any Irish person that does well in this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Looking at the most of the previous winners, it seems like two to three years after you win x factor your music career is in the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Haelium wrote: »
    Oh great, yet again people talk about Jedward being rich, here's the thing: Being rich does not change the fact that they are ****ing idiots with no talent, the real question we need to ask ourselves is how society values their services over the services of the teacher, the nurse, the factory worker who actually contribute something of value to society.
    if they showed a show where celebs eat swans, people would copy them.

billybudd wrote: »
    its futile and a bit bitter of you to take that away from them.
    That's just BS now. firstly, I'm not taking anything away from anyone, I'm stating a fact that they're talentless? They are! Acting like an idiot is not a talent. And to second that, it's not bitter to say it.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Really? You're proud of the fact that Jedward are Irish. It reminds me of why people think know that we're a country of idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Jedward. two lads from lucan, self made millionaires before the age of 20 and during a recession, i am sure they all those things you mentioned :rolleyes:

How are they self-made?
    Also, Louis has a sordid interest in these twin boys. Louis is a creep. The way the twins go on, they were bound to be noticed by someone somewhere.

It still hurts my brain trying to fathom what is wrong with the fans. There was an article in the paper a few years ago about some Jedward fans flying over from England, to watch Jedward on X Factor, on a telly in the Lord Lucan pub. :confused:

Their words were probably:"Cos it's where they iz from innit".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Chains

It all comes down to the chicken and the egg really; people watch this show to see other people being put down, and the emotional aspect of it is entertainment to them. The show is delivering what the viewers want. Can't really blame them for the tastes of the general public.... oh wait, you still kind of can!

Its a horrific circle. I hate this 15 minutes culture we now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

mariaalice wrote: »
    I had this argument with someone and they said, the people CHOOSE to go on the show they want to be on TV and that the bottom line.

Its back to the argument....can you save people from themselves, the general belief is that people have total free choice and that include the choice to make a fool of themselves.

How do they get to be on the stage in front of a massive audience? Have they not auditioned before? I'm thinking of that huge winding queue outside the studios.

The ones who seem to be 'not with it', should be cut out at least by the editors. Fine if people want to watch this, it's not MY cup of tea. Just don't give them so much air time for ridicule.

The initial audition process is to vet out who would look good on telly, then after that they have a second round with the big stage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I enjoy watching the X-Factor very much. I'm not simple, cruel or remotely stupid. I don't watch it to ridicule the deluded or take pleasure from others embarrassment. I watch it because I enjoy singing, studied music (although granted you couldn't call a lot of the auditionees traditionally musically gifted) and it's a couple of hours I get to spend with the mother, because she enjoys it too.

I am by no means denying that some of these people are being exploited for the entertainment of the masses, but not all X-Factor fans are brainless followers of the Z list celebrity phenomenon.

Isn't watching something that is that exploitative somewhat disturbing though?

I don't mean this to question your intelligence, but you can surely see that it is quite repetitive, saccharine, and insidious?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is it wrong to put mentally retarded people on reality tv shows so the audience can laugh at them?

Most definitely YES! :mad:

And the shows are sh1t too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Seachmall wrote: »
    Bunch of tits. They can't sing (or dance). They got told they can't sing.

That judge going on about how women should stick together is also a tit.

Careful there, that was an example of 'Wimmin doin' ih fo' they'sells'.

:confused:

eh.... what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Chains wrote: »
    Isn't watching something that is that exploitative somewhat disturbing though?

I don't mean this to question your intelligence, but you can surely see that it is quite repetitive, saccharine, and insidious?

Of course I can! It's an exceptionally manipulative format. You get the sob stories, the "You Raise Me Up" in the background at the right climactic moment and the belittling of the deluded loons for the giggles.

Fact remains though that whatever team you have behind you and with whatever clever editing the producers push for, talent is still talent. X-Factor has launched a number of gifted singers into the public spotlight and at the end of the day that is what they want, what they go on the show for. I'd struggle to feel sorry for the success stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I do think about 90% of the "simple" people actually know exactly what they're doing and just want to be on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What about Bertie Ahern then? He's done well for himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    I enjoy watching the X-Factor very much. I'm not simple, cruel or remotely stupid. I don't watch it to ridicule the deluded or take pleasure from others embarrassment. I watch it because I enjoy singing, studied music (although granted you couldn't call a lot of the auditionees traditionally musically gifted) and it's a couple of hours I get to spend with the mother, because she enjoys it too.

I am by no means denying that some of these people are being exploited for the entertainment of the masses, but not all X-Factor fans are brainless followers of the Z list celebrity phenomenon.

So you studied music and you prefer to support karaoke singers who will never amount to anything in regards to raw natural talent, which does nothing but cater to overlooking actual talented musicians? People who work there asses off day in and day out only to be outshined by countless 15minute of famers, thanks to this piece of **** show.

Pat yourself on the back there, ya bleedin dzope ye! It seems you learned nothing from your studies :rolleyes:

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Of course I can! It's an exceptionally manipulative format. You get the sob stories, the "You Raise Me Up" in the background at the right climactic moment and the belittling of the deluded loons for the giggles.

Fact remains though that whatever team you have behind you and with whatever clever editing the producers push for, talent is still talent. X-Factor has launched a number of gifted singers into the public spotlight and at the end of the day that is what they want, what they go on the show for. I'd struggle to feel sorry for the success stories.

I'd agree with you there, it certainly has been what a lot of the winners wanted.

I just think that the prevalence of people doing it for 'fame's sake' is pretty abhorrent, and I think the show encourages it (as well as pretty much all the shows on MTV and E!)

nix wrote: »
    So you studied music and you prefer to support karaoke singers who will never amount to anything in regards to raw natural talent, which does nothing but cater to overlooking actual talented musicians? People who work there asses off day in and day out only to be outshined by countless 15minute of famers, thanks to this piece of **** show.

Pat yourself on the back there, ya bleedin dzope ye! It seems you learned nothing from your studies :rolleyes:

There's no reason to be quite so condescending, I think she argues a point far better than you, to be fair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

"Mock the weak" eh?
    (thats a comment on the thread title btw , not anyone here)
    ..seriously though.. it's vaucous, lowest common denominator telly*, with weak,safe, bland covers of weak , safe , bland songs.Its TV for the hard of thinking.I couldnt give a toss about it , except that TV networks seem to want to make cheap crap like this rather than decent scripted drama/comedy/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, didn't see it.

BTW, for anyone who hates this show, there's a clip of one of their judges getting served.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtzFhsv6OU

Who's the judge that was on the receiving end ? Can't remember ever seeing her before ?

It's a pity that it was someone who genuinely had no talent who put her in her place, and the last judge (whoever she is) going on about reverse sexism was a joke, too.

The only one I recognise on that panel is Louis (forget talent, here's Boyzone/Westlife/other drivel) Walsh.

Why can't they have one of these shows that (a) actually has only reasonably-talented acts on stage and (b) has recognisable judges who know what they're talking about ?

Is it just that real musicians and judges don't want to get involved ?

nix wrote: »
    So you studied music and you prefer to support karaoke singers who will never amount to anything in regards to raw natural talent, which does nothing but cater to overlooking actual talented musicians?

To be fair, there are singers every year that outshine the celebrity guests that perform on the live show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That quote should start with "Sistas...."

But then that would put an actual musical reference and talent into a thread about Z-factor, and so would probably make it explode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I made a point about how little she learned from her studies, im not the clueless one here..

Sorry if me pointing out how simple some people are was hurtful to you, perhaps i should make a TV show about it with flashing lights and get people to voluntarily come on the show, they can audition by displaying how stupid and desperate they are, and be rewarded 15minutes of fame??

:D:D:D

Advertisement