Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor humiliates 'simple' people.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

smash wrote: »
    So it's now drifted into a "you don't know music because you like pop" debate....

I love pop. i love original music in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

billybudd wrote: »
    I know and for that reason i do not watch or like the x factory, so many great bands down the years and they went nowhere because they didnt have the ''look'' hopefully one day there will be a movement to get back to basics regarding pop music. even wham to me now seemed like a serious band :pac:

Have to wait for the rest of humanity to catch up, ya gotta have faith! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

nix wrote: »
    Have to wait for the rest of humanity to catch up, ya gotta have faith! ;)

2011 and we still can't stop men, women & children from starving to death, is there hope for humanity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Wasted talent imo.

I think some of the contestants (few and far between) that have actual talent would become successful on their own. By signing on to these talent shows, Cowell reaps the benefits and the talent gets shoved aside for next years circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

So it's now drifted into a "you don't know music because you like pop" debate....

Nothing wrong with good pop songs but how about something new? Why bother writing your own material when you can coast to success via cover versions picked for you by Louis and Simon? The point is we've heard it done before and done a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Wattle wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with good pop songs but how about something new? Why bother writing your own material when you can coast to success via cover versions picked for you by Louis and Simon? The point is we've heard it done before and done a lot better.

How many of these are cover versions? http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Anyone remember Leon Jackson and Joe McElderry?

Nobody wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

Whats worse is even if you try and avoid the whole X Factor nonsense by not watching it on TV, its everywhere! And more and more each year because all the former contestants release their new crap/song (delete as appropriate) just to nicely coincide with the show each year. So you are bombarded by them on the radio, on all the showbiz websites, magazines, news, everywhere! Its like being force fed a diet of junk food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It will be cancelled in Britain within 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I like all kinds of music too, but in the pop genre, there hasnt been a talented musician that created his own music since Michael Jackson. The rest is comercial horse ****, written by some guy and performed by whoever luis and simon want to sing it in a studio and lip synq it at their concerts, its fucking disgusting.

Hey they're happy in that world. Leave them to it. I'm gonna put on some Neil Young.

How many of these are cover versions? http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles

I find it funny, when looking up who wrote most of those songs, if the "artist" was involved in writing it, he usually had help of about 3-4 other people in writing it.

"No Regrets" is the debut solo single by British hip hop artist Dappy. The song was produced by TMS and was written by Dappy, Ayak Thiik & TMS.

And after listening to it, i cant believe he needed help writing that horse ****.

And lets face it, kids/teenagers really need to have their pocket money cut, cause the music populating that chart is horrendous ;D

Anyway, im against charts, for this very reason, they determine nothing, making music isnt a race :)

I find it funny, when looking up who wrote most of those songs, if the "artist" was involved in writing it, he usually had help of about 3-4 other people in writing it.

Now you're changing your argument though from covering old songs to artists not writing their own. There's a lot of talented writers out there who can't sing. And a lot of singers/writers that sell their songs to others who the feel would sing them better. They're still original songs.

So is your gripe that there's not enough singer/songwriters out there performing their own tracks? Because that's not really what making music is about. It's about an end product that sounds good, doesn't matter if you like it or not because a lot of others do. That's why there's so many genres.

I'm not changing anything, Think your confusing me with someone else, i said xfactor performers are karaoke singers. And alot of the pop music is complete **** and they are all talentless hacks and the fact they have to lipsynq at their own concerts is testament to how talentless they are :)

I'm aware not everybody has a voice for singing, if your good at songwriting then learn an instrument and make a band. Same for if your good at singing and **** at song writing, join a band. Don't get exploited by **** like luis walsh, who is only interested in making money out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I watch the X Factor and I don't see the problem with it. I think everyone knows how manipulative it is with the sob stories and we all know the best audition of the night will be shown in the last 10 minutes of the show. I like listening to the contestants performing and the banter between the judges always provides us with a few laughs. I honestly don't understand why some people hate it so passionately.

Joe's album went to number. 2 in the album charts just under a month ago? He hasn't been forgotten about. It's not a great album though.

And pop music is still great these days. The majority of the Top 40 may still be **** but there's still many brilliant artists hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm not changing anything, Think your confusing me with someone else, i said xfactor performers are karaoke singers. And alot of the pop music is complete **** and they are all talentless hacks and the fact they have to lipsynq at their own concerts is testament to how talentless they are :)

I'm aware not everybody has a voice for singing, if your good at songwriting then learn an instrument and make a band. Same for if your good at singing and **** at song writing, join a band. Don't get exploited by **** like luis walsh, who is only interested in making money out of you.
    I'd understand if you were making that point a few years ago but very few artists mime these days. The only one that springs to mind is Britney and even her tickets aren't selling well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I never see people crying at Karaoke night in the local but they do on that, mind boggled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

To be honest- anyone who goes on that show is mentally retarded / deluded / gullible and idiotic.

People queueing up to be expolited and cast aside-

And that goes for the viewers too- shallow bints the lot of em
    Seems to have worked well for Jedward.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

billybudd wrote: »
    Who are the people who think Irish people are stupid? Irish people have an incredible reputation across the world that many nations would be proud of, as for jedward they are entertainers and make a very good living from it. if they where two junkie 18 year olds mugging grannies they would probaly be better? if anyone has any evidence that they where planted or where ''trained' my luis walsh then please show it and i will change my tune, until then best not sprout nonsense.

... never heard a truer word :D

To be honest- anyone who goes on that show is mentally retarded / deluded / gullible and idiotic.

I made a point about how little she learned from her studies, im not the clueless one here..

Sorry if me pointing out how simple some people are was hurtful to you, perhaps i should make a TV show about it with flashing lights and get people to voluntarily come on the show, they can audition by displaying how stupid and desperate they are, and be rewarded 15minutes of fame??

I can't believe how superior some people here think they are. There's certainly no reason to get as personal as you are, nix. A quick look at the "Forum" column on your posts list shows you're just as interested in simple entertainments as any other human being. I don't have much respect for video games. I don't have much respect for X Factor. But both are valid forms of entertainment, both are made by people who want to manipulate you and make money and both are only making money because normal, intelligent, reasonable people like them. Unless you're the one who actually taught JaxxYChicK, you're in no position to be telling her what she knows.

Shows like X Factor are popular for a reason. After the first few stages it's all good singers, so what's wrong with showing some really bad auditions at the start? Yeah, it plays on our fascinations, and it humiliates people, but these people sign all the paperwork, show up on the day, and take their chance. Personally, with all the money involved, I think anyone who thinks they could make it on X Factor, but thinks they're too good for it, is the foolish one. Unless of course they already have millions in the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Shows like X Factor are popular for a reason. After the first few stages it's all good singers, so what's wrong with showing some really bad auditions at the start? Yeah, it plays on our fascinations, and it humiliates people, but these people sign all the paperwork, show up on the day, and take their chance. Personally, with all the money involved, I think anyone who thinks they could make it on X Factor, but thinks they're too good for it, is the foolish one. Unless of course they already have millions in the bank.

I couldn't agree more. What is not to like about listening to a talented singer getting an opportunity to perform and hopefully forge a career out of it. I really don't get the negative aggression towards people who part-take or watch it.

I find it entertaining and I am looking forward to seeing how the Irish contingent do this year.

I can't believe how superior some people here think they are. There's certainly no reason to get as personal as you are, nix. A quick look at the "Forum" column on your posts list shows you're just as interested in simple entertainments as any other human being. I don't have much respect for video games. I don't have much respect for X Factor. But both are valid forms of entertainment, both are made by people who want to manipulate you and make money and both are only making money because normal, intelligent, reasonable people like them. Unless you're the one who actually taught JaxxYChicK, you're in no position to be telling her what she knows.

Just lol at your post, ive no problem with people watching TV, infact the reason i play games, is because TV is ****, Because the TV is plagued with reality TV and crap shows like this xfactor bollocks. Thats what were talking about here, can you pay attention?

And all it does is hamper real talented musicians and lessens the need for real TV shows. Remember when we watched actors on TV? Now were watching idiots, its really really sad..

I find it funny you comment on my attitude in my posts in this topic, as it seems you didnt read any of my posts :rolleyes: And you're the kind of person who likes to watch a TV show to point and laugh at simple minded people?? Whats also funny, is you say my attitude is ****, yet the very show you watch has a panel of "judges" (heartless pricks) and all they do mostly is mock/degrade people and you love them for it.. Double standard much ??

The irony is hilarious!!!!

Shows like xfactor are popular for a reason, you're right about that, but they are popular as they cost feck all to run (all reality TV shows do) and they draw in the easily amused like a magnet, the sad thing is, there appears to be more simple minded people than not :rolleyes:
    py2006 wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. What is not to like about listening to a talented singer getting an opportunity to perform and hopefully forge a career out of it. I really don't get the negative aggression towards people who part-take or watch it.

I find it entertaining and I am looking forward to seeing how the Irish contingent do this year.

Same as every year, someone with a combo of good looks and a strong voice will win (being able to compose music, write your own songs or anything that merits talent beyond your natural gift from birth is not necessary), if your fat or ugly then your wasting your time. Now thats what i call a top notch singing competition, or is it a beauty competition? :D

EDIT: Also Mr "true-or-false" on your point about tv and gaming and manipulation, im fully aware it exists in both aspects, if you actually read some of my posts in the gaming threads i posted in, instead of just seeing what forum im posting in, you would see i bring up similar concerns there too. Gaming hasnt quite yet deteriorated to the quality level that TV is at now, but its getting there, quite fast unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I thought most people that went on XFactor were simple:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

As a DIY musician I can respect anyone who has the heart to get up on a stage in front of the mob. Even the screw ups and the trolls because they have to mentally prepare for it too and the mob is a whimsical and tough crowd to please. Shop talk is cheap and easy so thats some comfort I guess when your performance goes down in flames.

Anyone who hasn't been up on a stage or out busking on a busy street should try it because everyone screws up the first time. Some people go their whole life trying to avoid screwing up, so they never get good at an instrument or learn to sing or learn to write a song or do anything creative.

You can rip into Jedward if you want but to be honest thats just a part of the ridiculousness of their act. I definitely can't (and won't) do what they do anyway and I don't begrudge them their success.

The X Factor itself is nevertheless a Colosseo of noughties TV. Its a bunch of individuals at the total mercy of the mob and I guess there is a certain enjoyment one can derive from schadenfreude, in having power over others, in being the the arbiter of another's fate. I think I lost all taste for that when I started trying to write and perform my own music though.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HicksLennon

I try to avoid this show as much as possible, but since the other half watches it, sometimes I catch a bit of it.
    It was on last week and there was someone trying to sing, but anyone could see they weren't the full shilling. Still though, the producers think it would be great entertainment to give this person about 5/6 minutes of air time. The whole audience of morons, (in their collective ignorance) laugh, point and boo this unfortunate person.

If this show is looking for 'talent', then why do the worst singers get so much air time?

As far as I can see, there are some people with genuine mental problems paraded on stage for mockery. The audience grunt, point and laugh, while the smug 'judges' wait to top it off with a blunt statement about how bad they are.
    I'm nt just saying this because I despise Louis and Simon. They are total cnuts.

It's just that I've never noticed anyone else who hates the show mention this aspect, except one.
    Couldn't have put it better myself! Agreed

nommm wrote: »
    I watch the X Factor and I don't see the problem with it. I think everyone knows how manipulative it is with the sob stories and we all know the best audition of the night will be shown in the last 10 minutes of the show. I like listening to the contestants performing and the banter between the judges always provides us with a few laughs. I honestly don't understand why some people hate it so passionately.

Joe's album went to number. 2 in the album charts just under a month ago? He hasn't been forgotten about. It's not a great album though.

And pop music is still great these days. The majority of the Top 40 may still be **** but there's still many brilliant artists hanging around.
    Time is the only test... Somehow I don't think we'll be playing Joe mcelderry in 10 years time!!!!! Lol

Just lol at your post, ive no problem with people watching TV, infact the reason i play games, is because TV is ****, Because the TV is plagued with reality TV and crap shows like this xfactor bollocks. Thats what were talking about here, can you pay attention?

And all it does is hamper real talented musicians and lessens the need for real TV shows. Remember when we watched actors on TV? Now were watching idiots, its really really sad..

I find it funny you comment on my attitude in my posts in this topic, as it seems you didnt read any of my posts :rolleyes: And you're the kind of person who likes to watch a TV show to point and laugh at simple minded people?? Whats also funny, is you say my attitude is ****, yet the very show you watch has a panel of "judges" (heartless pricks) and all they do mostly is mock/degrade people and you love them for it.. Double standard much ??

The irony is hilarious!!!!

Shows like xfactor are popular for a reason, you're right about that, but they are popular as they cost feck all to run (all reality TV shows do) and they draw in the easily amused like a magnet, the sad thing is, there appears to be more simple minded people than not :rolleyes:
    py2006 wrote: »

Same as every year, someone with a combo of good looks and a strong voice will win (being able to compose music, write your own songs or anything that merits talent beyond your natural gift from birth is not necessary), if your fat or ugly then your wasting your time. Now thats what i call a top notch singing competition, or is it a beauty competition? :D

EDIT: Also Mr "true-or-false" on your point about tv and gaming and manipulation, im fully aware it exists in both aspects, if you actually read some of my posts in the gaming threads i posted in, instead of just seeing what forum im posting in, you would see i bring up similar concerns there too. Gaming hasnt quite yet deteriorated to the quality level that TV is at now, but its getting there, quite fast unfortunately :(
    First off, I am guilty of watching this drivel on occasion in the past... Sorry!! Just being honest... I don't claim to be without sin!!!! Haha... I finally got the sense to boycott it a few years ago though...
    Wouldn't be bothered with most replys... If people don't get how awful this show is on so many levels, then just let them be... Hopefully some day they might see where you are coming from... Unfortunately there are a lot of sleeping people out there that just won't get what you're talking about for now... Don't agree that you have to be good looking to win on these types of programmes... Shows like x factor/bgt love an ugly duckling (an average voice will do!!) in order to cash in on the underdog ticket!! And all the stupid sheeple buy their albums at Xmas!!!...lol!! All you can do is laugh!!! I wonder would people have raved on about Susan boyle's voice so much if she was an ordinary looking person???!! Lol!!!! The only thing worse than these shows are the shallow thoughtless insensitive dead eyed zombies that watch it and they are everywhere... I was one of them for a while... WAKE UP!!! Be a better person... Your life doesn't have to revolve around xfactor on a Saturday night!! Happy to be in a minority on this one. Stand up and think for yourself I say. Peace and love my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

The 'worst of the worst' get to go on the x-factor tour, which nets them quite a bit of money...more than they'll likely earn in a year. And they do get a bit of fame out of it. They get noticed, and people are generally nice to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jacko's Man In The Mirror on the radio now - what a song.

Of course there's still plenty of great music around of many genres - but pop is not one of them. Pop music has really gone down the sewer... :(

And now Elton John Tiny Dancer.

Sigh... ****ing Cher Lloyd and Matt ****ing Cardle and One ****ing Direction. Grim.

Advertisement