Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you realise you were getting old?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

RichieC wrote: »
    Since hangovers turned from being a ropey headache and puking to the shakes and incredibly awful anxiety :(
    Billiant comment and so true!When you were younger getting sick in the toilet was all you had to deal with the next morning.Now its stress,anxiety and feeling guilty all because you had a few drinks thats how i am now after drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

yeahimhere wrote: »
    When I'd absolutely no idea who or what was number 1 in the charts. Or in the top 10....

When you refer to the charts as The Hit Parade.

Now that is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

retracting my jokey post from a few pages back I had a proper feel old moment yesterday at work like something dara o briain talked about in his stand up.

This man comes in with his young son and as he's ordering his food the kid starts banging on the slot machine. The father repeatedly tells the kid to stop but gets nowhere. After a few minutes of this the father uses the oldest trick in the book picks up his son, points to me and utters the words that all of us have heard ,in some variance, and feared in our early lives .......

"the bad man behind the counter told me that if you didn't stop messing with the machine he's going to pick you up and take you away"

needless to say the kid stopped fairly quickly. I've become "THE BAD MAN" I feared in my youth. the all-seeing , all knowing bad man. I'm only 19 ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

When I realised it was actually OK to be considered a bit odd. I relaxed a LOT when I came to this realisation. People tend to chill out more the older they get, and not sweat the small stuff so much. So my Mammy says anyway! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

When I realised I don't know most of the bands that were in the charts. Even though I'd go out to clubs pretty regularly, most of the songs that everyone dances to, I wouldn't know who's singing them (or auto-tuning them.) Even when I was a teenager and desperate to be seen as not liking ''mainstream'' music, I always knew who was in the charts.

Me and the boyfriend watching "MTV Classic" (why is all the good music on that now?:p) the other day, and having to explain to his 12 year old sister who Blur were and how "Coffee and TV" was a great video... Jaysus, I felt old then.

• Advertisement

Acacia wrote: »
    When I realised I don't know most of the bands that were in the charts.

About a year ago, I was in a queue in a shop in Britain. I was listening to whatever radio station they had on and was idly wondering who this Justin Beaver chap they kept going on about was.

Discovered a few days later that Justin Beaver = Justin Bieber. :pac: I'm 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

You know you're getting old when the last time you had 69 was at last night's bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

About a year ago, I was in a queue in a shop in Britain. I was listening to whatever radio station they had on and was idly wondering who this Justin Beaver chap they kept going on about was.

Discovered a few days later that Justin Beaver = Justin Bieber. :pac: I'm 27.

Made me lol! :D I'm sure I'll have more of those moments myself as I give less and less of a crap about what young wans listen to.

I remember one time my uncle complaining about my cousin listening to Eminem or that "Slim Shandy" fella, as he called him. That will probably be me soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭benki11

Today!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My brother was giving out about "that sh1t band Linkin Bizkit" when he was in his late 20s. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Watching the MTV Europe Music Awards tonight (for some reason).

The only thing more bewildering than not knowing who half of the acts were was the fact that it seemed to be presented by a child who was also going out with an even more famous child performer who was the most popular act. (I will admit that I know the names of Ms. Gomez and Mr. Beiber, but I'm not convinced they're older than 12!)

I'm 28!

Acacia wrote: »
    I remember one time my uncle complaining about my cousin listening to Eminem or that "Slim Shandy" fella, as he called him. That will probably be me soon enough!

:pac:

Reminds of me of a funny Jack Nicholson quote where he said he really liked that band "Coldpack".

Coldpack = Coldplay. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

John Doe1 wrote: »
    When did you realise you were getting old?

...Probably when my first child could say "Dada" for the first time - but I wouldn't turn back the clock for a second if that was a price to pay.
    No regrets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

i get annoyed when i hear kids playing ' music' on the bus

music nowadays is shite

There was a thing on the tellybox tonight, not sure what channel, but it was the greatest 'Rock' hits of the 21st century.

A few things hit me about it: We're not very far into the century, perhaps 'the last decade' would have been a better term; my housemate thought a century was 1,000 years long and I recognised less than half the music in the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

I started growing vegetables last year :(
    fryup wrote: »
    when you take up an interest in gardening...now thats a sure sign your getting old

I have been interested in gardening since i can remember .( probably since 3 years old ) .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

anto2 wrote: »
    I have been interested in gardening since i can remember .( probably since 3 years old ) .:D

I was into it at that age, but just so I could eat the worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I actually took an active interest in watching the Antiques Roadshow on BBC last night. I'm only 30 FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

When your walking down the street and you spot a couple of fine looking young wans wearing very short, tight belly tops and you think to yourself, jaysus they'll get a cold in their kidneys have they any bit of sence atall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I actually took an active interest in watching the Antiques Roadshow on BBC last night. I'm only 30 FFS.

Thats it - your doomed! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When I heard Justin Bieber has become a father. Now I feel old...

• Advertisement

When one of the buddies who's 40 didn't believe I was only 31 :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

when I read when people stop producing new braincells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm 30

I really couldn't care less what age I am I live my life my way to my rules...

Live have fun take chances, enjoy the risk, don't fear the fvck ups... and most of all
    take more chances and follow your gut instinct which is usually to the toilet for a shiote.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm 21 but felt pretty old when i started making involuntary noises when getting out of chairs (not farts) .:D

Hi John,

I think you are old when you start making involuntary bowel movements and cant get outta the chair in time... Ouuppps, I did it again!Try pampers for old folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

When I started getting more and mre like my mother in the things I say and mannerisms.:eek:

When I started having a fear of things, like slipping when getting out of the shower and when I was watching BB the other night and Faye was coming down the stairs in towering heels without holding the bannister, I thought she was gonna trip and knock her teeth out.. 10 years ago that would never enter my head.

Apart from that, I'm 31 and don't actually feel any older than I did at 17..apart from feeling wiser.

Pity I don't look the same as I did at 17!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The day i actually remembered when all this was fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

moco wrote: »

Pity I don't look the same as I did at 17!:(

Pics or GTFO! :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO! :p :pac:

I'm not that brave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I chose a national bus company over another because they have an onboard toilet :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

when i didnt know who Justin Beiber was until this time last year

Advertisement