Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭longinforababy

again apologies for tmi
    Its not fresh if you know what I mean... and unfortunately why I am saying not expecting it to be anything other than af was because the last day we "got time" to do the deed was cd12 and ov'd cd14 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

again apologies for tmi
    Its not fresh if you know what I mean... and unfortunately why I am saying not expecting it to be anything other than af was because the last day we "got time" to do the deed was cd12 and ov'd cd14 :(

Spermies can survive 'up there' for 5 days so there's a chance :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

again apologies for tmi

You still have a chance. Don't get your hopes up but keep it in the back of your mind. Fingers crossed for you!

thanks ladies, feel like I have af pains now... so just not going to think about it, just going to focus on our apt (keep checking emails for updates lol) and look forward to the new year I think!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Long time lurker here.

Myself and the OH had been TTC for nigh on 3.5 years until we were blessed recently with good news.We're in week 18,now so far so good TBTG.
    Nothing near half the hardship of some other posters here,but we went through the whole shebang,from the "Any day now" to the sheer bewilderment,confusion and frustration of the whole saga,to the "why me?" and loads of others.

I know from experience what my post is reading like,I just wanted to say that after 2 failed IVF's, being given a 1% chance of conception,consideration into so many avenues and finally a decision taken to get help in the czech republic(we were due to go the next time OH got her period), this place was often my retreat when not even we ourselves could talk to each other.
    In short, Thanks!

• Advertisement

ah Congratulations to ye both Staker! A Happy and Healthy pregnancy to your OH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hope83 wrote: »
    Hi all, I know theres another "Hope" on this thread so hopefully it doesnt get confusing! I am currently on my 2ww and its going sooooo slow! Been trying for our first bambino for about 6 months. Im not charting or anything like that coz Im afraid of getting too wrapped up in it that it will be even more disappointing that it currently is every month. Not feeling any different at all this month - due at the weekend. Trying to think positive but even a cramp of any sort would be a welcome sign. Enjoying reading all the stories on this - I think you are all great x

Welcome hope83, sorry was just reading back on the thread and I missed you! Hope your stay on this thread is a short one :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Scooter29; I have been fat & I've been thin, I've smoked & not smoked and drank & not drank (oh god just realised that I'm back to doing all the bad things again) and still have not concieve in 8 years of trying. Sometimes I think no matter what I do it will never happen. I know exactly how you feel. I hope you find the suport you need on here.

;)
    Goodne wrote: »
    Scooter29; I have been fat & I've been thin, I've smoked & not smoked and drank & not drank (oh god just realised that I'm back to doing all the bad things again) and still have not concieve in 8 years of trying. Sometimes I think no matter what I do it will never happen. I know exactly how you feel. I hope you find the suport you need on here.
    same as...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Staker congrats on the pregnancy. I'll bet you were both thrilled after the hardship you went through. Here's to a healthy birth!

Scooter29 I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. It must be so bloody hard! I don't have a lot of experience as only ttc a few months but you didn't mention if your partner has gotten a sperm analysis to check his side of things. Also have you gotten any of those procedures where the flush your tubes, check for endo, check for pcos etc? I have heard that losing a bit of weight can kickstart your fertility as well as immune system and it certainly would make carrying a baby easier and safer. I've about a stone to lose and want try get it off before end of year. There's a forum re diet and nutrition on boards and there's some great practical advice in the stickies at the top of that forum. But also, women can get preg whether they are skinny, heavier, in between etc

Well I can offer is a big cyber hug and I think if you post about your journey on here you'll get support and a place to vent

• Advertisement

Hi Ladies, re low temp, what day in cycle are you and another weird n wonderful question, were you awake for long before using thermometer? best off having it right under your pillow so you dont have to move too much and can more or less do it still slightly sleepy.
    If early in cycle your body may just be recooping after af?

I have the thermometer on my bedside table and literally as soon as alarm goes off for last time, after the much needed snoozes :-p) I take my temp without hardly moving!

I'm on cd8 now, I just checked it on my calendar and I hadn't realised I was that far along in cycle, thought I was still on cd3! It's been a really really busy week so everything's flying by. Will be starting my Halloween sex this weekend haha. Oh And my opks

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

scooter29 wrote: »
    I am 33 years of age and we have been trying to have a baby for 4 years. I got pregnant 3 years ago but lost the baby at 7 weeks. Since then, we have been trying to get pregnant, but nothing is happening. My cycle was irregular for 8 months and I suffered very heavy bleeding, but when I lost some weight that stopped. I was referred to a infertility consultant in the maternity hospital and I had all the tests for tubes etc and my husband is fine. I am overweight and this has come up again and again as some sort of reason why I can't get pregnant. I started clomid and I ovulated every month and even hyperovulated so my ovaries are fine. Still no baby. I have tried all of the tips for intercourse- legs up, pillow under the bum, timing it, ovulation kits, everything. I went to the consulant today he has given me 3 months more with the clomid and then IUI. But here is the kicker- he will not refer me for IUI until I lose around 3 stone. My BMI is too high. Just when you think they might be able to help you, they move the goalposts. I am trying to lose weight but it is so hard for me....the more I think about not being able to get pregnant, the more I eat. I know it is a vicious cycle, but sometimes the pain of thinking that I might not be able to have children is unbearable. I don't smoke or drink just eat too much. I have a good support network but people really dont understand what it is like unless they have been through it themselves.

Scooter, so sorry to hear what you are going through. I was the same as you - all tests checked out for bot of us, and I also ovulated on my own, and hyperstimulated on the clomid. I had the opposite problem, I was probably underweight but that can be just as problematic. Now I managed to get my weight up, but any stress and it drops off (normally a grand "complaint") but when TTC is so stressful your body just wants to do what it does when stress hits.

I tried the couch to 5k running programme to address the stress issue, and also to try to build up healthy lifestyle practices I smoked for years and felt that this also harmed my chances of ttc. Also, because of the smoking, I was seriously unfit, so I wanted to address it.

There is a thread here with loads of boardsies who did it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185465 I found that when you get a bad day, and you go out to do the program for 30 mins, you really have a mood change when you come in. It starts off with brisk walking with 8 60 second bursts of a run, gradually increasing over 9 weeks to full on running. I had to spend a few weeks on the week one programme, but its a brilliant stress buster, and has the added advantage of helping with your diet plan too.

I also agree that sometimes it does not matter what you do or dont do, the month we finally got our positive, we did everything "wrong". We only had sex twice, once before Ovulation and once after. I had two weekends on my two week wait where I consumed far more alcohol than usual, I ate stuff that was "bad" for me. Work was frantic, and I was stressed to the gills, the day before I got my BFP I was lugging heavy archive boxes around so dont be thinking you are doing things "wrong".
    staker wrote: »
    Long time lurker here.

Myself and the OH had been TTC for nigh on 3.5 years until we were blessed recently with good news.We're in week 18,now so far so good TBTG.
    Nothing near half the hardship of some other posters here,but we went through the whole shebang,from the "Any day now" to the sheer bewilderment,confusion and frustration of the whole saga,to the "why me?" and loads of others.

I know from experience what my post is reading like,I just wanted to say that after 2 failed IVF's, being given a 1% chance of conception,consideration into so many avenues and finally a decision taken to get help in the czech republic(we were due to go the next time OH got her period), this place was often my retreat when not even we ourselves could talk to each other.
    In short, Thanks!

A massive congrats to you both. :D If you are anything like my partner and I, we didnt realise how stressful it was until the stress went away. This thread has helped me so much too on my journey too. Being in the second trimester must be a relief for you. I will be 12 weeks on Sunday and just want to see the back of the first trimester and into the second less riskier one, but I dont want to wish away my pregnancy either - just to enjoy it. Have you posted on the fathers thread in in Pregnancy forum? lots of help and support for you there too on your next stage of the journey. :)

well... def out... it was feckin af all along cause its here now, 23 day cycle, thats the shortest I have ever had on record... last month (month I had hsg) was 25 day cycle, never in my 23 years of having af have had a cycle shorter than 28 days!

+1 for the Couch to 5k program, it's really easy for anyone to follow. I kept it up for a good while & was running 5k a few evenings a week.

I've started walking again but will build up on the C25K program again.

Longinforababy sorry you're out. Maybe the Hsg had something to do with changing your cycle! At least you're not waiting around to start the next one.

Well took a preg test today & it was negative, but I expected that. My OH was urging me to take it cos of my mega short period, just in case. I think he wanted me to take it as we had been watching that show "I didn't know I was pregnant" where women suddenly go into labour and didn't know they were preg as hadn't noticed any signs & had been getting some sort of period (probably break-through bleeds). So he didn't want me suddenly having a baby in the loo of the train or something :D.

It put my mind at ease to do the test as I have been thinking I had symptoms. It's amazing how much you get it in your head that you "might be" when you're TTC, everything seems like a possible symptom.

Friend of mine announced she was 6 wks preg, they weren't even trying and it was an accident. Oh how I wish it were that easy!

I will also +1 the couch to 5K plan, it literally changed my life (as awful and cheesey as that sounds :o)

My accupuncturist is dead against too much exercise while TTC though :( by too much I mean I would try run 5K at least 3 days a week. Am very confused about it :confused:

well... def out... it was feckin af all along cause its here now, 23 day cycle, thats the shortest I have ever had on record... last month (month I had hsg) was 25 day cycle, never in my 23 years of having af have had a cycle shorter than 28 days!

Sorry you're out this month longinforababy.....raise a glass to next month ;)

Digs wrote: »
    I will also +1 the couch to 5K plan, it literally changed my life (as awful and cheesey as that sounds :o)

My accupuncturist is dead against too much exercise while TTC though :( by too much I mean I would try run 5K at least 3 days a week. Am very confused about it :confused:

I don't see how that is too much in the slightest. I could understand a bit if you were doing 10k everyday maybe! Or if you were getting way underweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Digs wrote: »

Mink wrote: »
    I don't see how that is too much in the slightest. I could understand a bit if you were doing 10k everyday maybe! Or if you were getting way underweight.

My acupuncturist said the same no excercise, til I build myself up again...
    So I play badmington 2 nights and run from period to ovulation then walk in the 2 week wait...It`s all good :rolleyes:
    I`m running the first 11miles of dublin marathon on monday nice and slow, then bow out at that stage and meet my friends after..
    There`s a book about it here...(I`m fond of books for every occasion!!)
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Runners-World-Guide-Running-Pregnancy-Chris-Lundgren/9781579547479

Mink wrote: »

I completely agree! And that's what I run on a bad week.......I am certainly not underweight either. My exercise is the only thing that keeps me at a healthy weight tbh....

Thanks for the advice Fri.day, will have a look for that book! Best of luck in the marathon and good for you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Hi Ladies, how is your weekends.
    Still waiting for AF, due anytime from tuesday so we'll see if she shows, were just back from down the country meeting our new 7lb3oz beautiful blonde :O niece!!

wanted to slip off her baby tag and run home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

think i might try the couch to 5k plan I'm in need of some de stressing!!! As i said I'm out of the TTC for a while :( sucks. We not actively trying now. We did at the beginning of the month. Ive been feeling pretty weird lately, I've been getting dizzy spells and my breasts are very swollen but not really sore. But who knows, hopes defo not up. But hoping next year be our year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

CD25 and mad cramps (again) on left side. Af due 03/11 but it's not like normal Af pains :s

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

scooter29 wrote: »
    I am 33 years of age and we have been trying to have a baby for 4 years. I got pregnant 3 years ago but lost the baby at 7 weeks. Since then, we have been trying to get pregnant, but nothing is happening. My cycle was irregular for 8 months and I suffered very heavy bleeding, but when I lost some weight that stopped. I was referred to a infertility consultant in the maternity hospital and I had all the tests for tubes etc and my husband is fine. I am overweight and this has come up again and again as some sort of reason why I can't get pregnant. I started clomid and I ovulated every month and even hyperovulated so my ovaries are fine. Still no baby. I have tried all of the tips for intercourse- legs up, pillow under the bum, timing it, ovulation kits, everything. I went to the consulant today he has given me 3 months more with the clomid and then IUI. But here is the kicker- he will not refer me for IUI until I lose around 3 stone. My BMI is too high. Just when you think they might be able to help you, they move the goalposts. I am trying to lose weight but it is so hard for me....the more I think about not being able to get pregnant, the more I eat. I know it is a vicious cycle, but sometimes the pain of thinking that I might not be able to have children is unbearable. I don't smoke or drink just eat too much. I have a good support network but people really dont understand what it is like unless they have been through it themselves.

Scooter - im in a very similar position to yourself. Ive been trying for 18 months now, have never been pregnant and dont get periods unless i take drugs to induce the same. All my tests have come back normal so all the consultant keeps saying is my weight. Not once has he asked if i smoke, drink, what my activity is like etc.... Its very frustrating. i know deep down that weight is not my issue but with things coming to a halt until i reduce my BMI i have no choice. I know being overweight isnt the best but like yourself i have tried. its very easy for people to say cut out calories and exercise but it really isnt that simple. For example i joined the gym - went for 6 weeks doing cardio and healthy eating and i lost 2lbs! so frustrating. the consultant turned round and said to me that some bodies dont respond well to loosing weight and that i just need to try harder - i was in floods of tears. I totally understand where you are coming from - i empathise with you. Since my appointment 2 weeks ago ive decided i just need to bust my gut off. i need to prove hime wrong that my weight isnt the problem here. i cant go back in 5 months the same weight as i am today for him to sit there and tell me to loose weight again! ive decided to join weight watchers - going to do it solely for 6 weeks and hope to loose a stone, and have rejoined back at the gym. I am making myself go each week to weigh in and stay for the meeting - this will at least give me one hour of my time just to sit and reflect! im due to weigh in tomo and last week lost 4.5lbs :-) i myself need to loose around 3 1/2 stone before march - a big task in hard but im real determined - what ever it takes as this is the only thing which will continue my treatment - il be going onto injections in march if i loose the weight. I feel we are very much put into a category and to be honest it is a easy way out. i get really upset, frustrated and annoyed with society at times as bmi is not the only thing that should be looked at! Scooter just try and change little eating habbits and slowly you should notice a diff. Im in excatley the same position as yourself and if you if want to talk x

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Joanie37

Havent been back here in a while ....Well talk about a crap week. My periods wer 5 days late .......Had the most depressing day when they came on friday..... The hope had ended..... Cryed and cryed and cryed some more. So this is my last month using Menopur and then I go on the pill so i can start IVF in January.... Any one starting in January or any one going through the same thing.......
    Any ways have acupunture next week. Dont really think its any good only gave me a lot more hope last month only for my world to shatter in front of me....Well the only way is up so Positive Mental Atitude again. Heres hoping. Best of luck to everyone this month....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All,

After a looooong time lurking in ttc I thought it was time to jump in

Himself and I have been talking about it for a while and last week he tells me he's ready to ditch the condoms and not not try to get pregnant. I asked if he meant to not not tty to get pregnant or actively try and he wasn't quite sure how to answer that.

Have spent some time in hospital recently for high blood presure. I was told not to get pregnant for a while until they sort out my meds and I get an idea of what we are dealing with as they couldnt find a cause for such a high BP reading. I took that news quite hard because I wasnt sure how long I would have to delay ttc but doctor has assured me that I can go ahead once I have a consultant appointment which is soon

Anyway, some really honest and moving posts in here - there is a lovely warm supportive feeling in this section of boards.

Best of luck to everyone and I've lit a candle for the few posters in here who have a had a difficult time

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

oh joanie so sorry to hear that :( i no how horrible it is every month. Im waiting on AF now, just know deep down not pregnant boobs were tender all month nearly but now sore, just waiting for AF to arrive and break the news to OH that yet again this month didn't work which sucks. Im not going through IVF or anything yet, i hope everything works for you xx

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Custard Cream

Morning everyone.
    Another not so good weekend. On Sunday night I just got so down and had a hard time keeping the tears back. I keep thinking that I'm over the miscarriage in terms of the heart-breaking crying but then I just get so low and can't help but thinking of the scan and my little baby lying there so still. Anway it's another week and I think I may be due my period soon. Slight dull pain in my left side every now and then. It will be four weeks since the D&C next week so maybe then it will come.

Fingers crossed I get my cycle back on track soon and then come Christmas and New YEar we can start fresh. Roll on the twinkly lights and mince pies:D

Apple sox definitely take up c25k again. I don't know why I let myself go off it for so long, have to start from scratch, though I may get through the gradients faster than last time

Joanie sorry to hear what a rough time you're going through. I don't know of anyone on this thread doing ivf or about to start but maybe if you post an individual ivf thread on the forum you may get morefeedback from ladies that have been through it. All I can say is I've heard lots of success stories, more so than unsuccessful. We'll all have everything crossed for you. You and your OH definitely deserve your little bundle

Nicky big congrats on the weight you lost, fair play. I was like you about 2 yrs ago where I was jogging daily, dieting Etc but after a month and a half, literally maybe a pound lost to show for it. Felt like crying. But I decided just to keep on with it, and I got further and further on the couch to 5k, I adjusted my calories a little more to cut out more rubbish and unneeded snacks. Then somewhere around the 2 month Mark I finally started losing regularly. I think some sort of chemical process had to kick in for me, I can't explain it. Anyway I lost a stone over a couple of months, bear in mind that I only had a stone to lose and that last few lbs are slower to come off. The weight stayed off up until late last year, a few months after I stopped running, and it took ages to go back on, probably as I still had a higher metabolism from the muscle I'd built up in my legs. What I'm trying to say is that it stays off longer if the exercise is maintained, I've learnt the hard way.

As for me, my thermometer is a piece of crap, bringing it back to the shop today. On day 11, don't really have my sh1t together this month re dates and when I'm supposed to do what, need to get to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Morning everyone.
    Another not so good weekend. On Sunday night I just got so down and had a hard time keeping the tears back. I keep thinking that I'm over the miscarriage in terms of the heart-breaking crying but then I just get so low and can't help but thinking of the scan and my little baby lying there so still. Anway it's another week and I think I may be due my period soon. Slight dull pain in my left side every now and then. It will be four weeks since the D&C next week so maybe then it will come.

Fingers crossed I get my cycle back on track soon and then come Christmas and New YEar we can start fresh. Roll on the twinkly lights and mince pies:D

Custard Cream, I'm sorry you are feeling so low. I promise it will get easier though.

Its nearly 3 years since my first miscarriage, and although I have been blessed with a beautiful daughter, I still have moments where I think about the one that I lost and I can't help but cry.

Just remember that there are some poor children in the world who have never been loved as much as you loved your little bean, and its because of that love that you have felt that you can know that when you are blessed with a child (and you will be!) you will be fantastic parents and have a very lucky little person in your lives. Well that's what I kept telling myself and I believe it helped me, hopefully it will help you too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

javagal wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, how is your weekends.
    Still waiting for AF, due anytime from tuesday so we'll see if she shows, were just back from down the country meeting our new 7lb3oz beautiful blonde :O niece!!

wanted to slip off her baby tag and run home.

Af on way :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement