Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

karaokeman wrote: »
    Sorry I meant to say RHCP played twice but a second headline isn't an impossiblity.

Chad said they would like to play Slane again;

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/red-hot-chili-peppers-to-play-at-slane-14356630.html

Also U2 played 3 times and headlined twice (1983 & 2001).

But that wasnt in Slane :confused:

Never understood the following Stone Roses have either

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

nm wrote: »
    Please god do not let the Stone Roses get sucked into this disaster of a venue

It might make them a good band though :D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Lord Henry should be on the phone to Stone Roses this evening!Would they sell 80,000 tickets though?

Easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Easily.

No they wouldnt.

Mushy wrote: »
    No they wouldnt.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I can't really see The Stone Roses playing Slane to be honest. Electric Picnic on the other hand would be perfect for them as well as a date in the O2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

the only way youd get me to slane is if Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Faith no mOre were playing.

id sell my body to see that.

Why not?

Dont think they'd sell that many tickets despite a reunion show. Maybe sub-headline but not main act.

Mushy wrote: »
    Dont think they'd sell that many tickets despite a reunion show. Maybe sub-headline but not main act.

I think they easily would. They have a huge fanbase in an age group who go to gigs. There are a lot of people who'd go to Slane regardless.

If two bands 10 years past relevance sold it out in 09, I don't see why the Stone Roses wouldn't sell it well. Doubly so if they had a bill with a few of their contemporaries in there and there are a lot of those around.

That being said, I hope they don't play there as I'd love to see them and while I was only at Slane once, I really didn't like it. Oxegen (awful as that is) would be preferable (and probably more likely) as it's far less hassle to get to, although it would be a shortened set for a festival.

I think they easily would. They have a huge fanbase in an age group who go to gigs. There are a lot of people who'd go to Slane regardless.

If two bands 10 years past relevance sold it out in 09, I don't see why the Stone Roses wouldn't sell it well. Doubly so if they had a bill with a few of their contemporaries in there and there are a lot of those around.

That being said, I hope they don't play there as I'd love to see them and while I was only at Slane once, I really didn't like it. Oxegen (awful as that is) would be preferable (and probably more likely) as it's far less hassle to get to, although it would be a shortened set for a festival.

Id say Oasis were bigger than Stone Roses , i still think they will either do Oxegen or a Marlay Park date . It would be a big risk for MCD to have them headline Slane since previous acts would have a brouder fanbase than the Stone Roses

• Advertisement

Id say Oasis were bigger than Stone Roses

Really??!? A band who had done nothing of note for over 10 years against one who's had people pining for them for 15. Oasis played here seemingly every couple of years whereas a huge amount of Stone Roses fans would never have had the chance before to see them live. I do agree that they suit Oxegen better, but I think they would sell a lot of tickets for Slane, especially how many people consider Slane an "event" in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

nm wrote: »
    Please god do not let the Stone Roses get sucked into this disaster of a venue

Disaster venue?.:confused:

No question they'd sell tickets, but I couldnt see it being 80k's worth. Im not saying it cos I dont like them, I will go see them.

May support someone at Slane, someone who may not sell it fully themselves.

Agree to disagree I guess :)

Don't see them supporting anyone, though. They'd easily headline Oxegen or sell out Marley Park or somewhere similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Theres no way in hell would the Stone Roses play as a supporting act on a reunion tour nor should they.

I do think they,d sell out Slane no problem as I know a lot of fans like myself who were to young to see them in there prime are floating arounf who would love to see them aswell as there older fans. Also as has been said throw in a few more contemporary bands like Kasabian as support acts.

Really hope they dont do Oxegen, if not Slane do Croke Park, Malahide Castle or even two nights in the 02.

If you look at the big reunions of the last few years MCD have usually got them for Oxegen

2006 - The Who
    2008 - RATM
    2009 - Blur
    2011 - Blink 182(before cancelling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

If you look at the big reunions of the last few years MCD have usually got them for Oxegen

2006 - The Who
    2008 - RATM
    2009 - Blur
    2011 - Blink 182(before cancelling)

So incredibly annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Stone Roses + Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds is about the only combo imaginable that would get me back to Slane. Beady Eye on the bill purely for the comedy value :eek:

So it's been confirmed, The Stone Roses have reunited for some huge homecoming shows, a new world tour and possibly a new album. Who would've thought it! Of course, the next question on everyone's lips is, will they be playing any festivals come next Summer?

Gig promoters have been desperately trying to secure The Stone Roses for some UK festival appearances, with rumours already circulating that V Festival and Reading and Leeds Festival will host a headline show from the Manchester legends. That's not all though, reports have emerged today, October 19th, that promoters are desperately trying to sign up The Stone Roses for a Scottish gig next Summer.

With two massive shows already confirmed for Manchester's Heaton Park in June 2012, the Daily Record has revealed that The Stone Roses may also play an outdoor Summer show In Scotland.
    Either TITP/Rockness or maybe their own show

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Reckoning it'll be Stone Roses now to headline, with a strong support! :)

• Advertisement

From Slane Castle FB
    Hi Guys, I will let Lord Henry know about your reccommendation- The Stone Roses !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

From Slane Castle FB

I actually really love the idea above regarding Stone Roses with Noel Gallagher supporting.

Not sure if whether Henry knows will determine if its possible or not.

Beady Eye, much as I would love it will bypass Slane in a second if Noel is also on the support bill. Realistically it would be one of the two but preferably Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

karaokeman wrote: »
    I actually really love the idea above regarding Stone Roses with Noel Gallagher supporting.

Not sure if whether Henry knows will determine if its possible or not.

Beady Eye, much as I would love it will bypass Slane in a second if Noel is also on the support bill. Realistically it would be one of the two but preferably Noel.

Well Henry is just the owner of the land. His son is the lord now. Also, it's MCD who chooses who plays, not him.

Beady Eye are terrible, not them, please! Noel is good though :)

Stone Roses, Kasabian, and Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Savman wrote: »
    Stone Roses + Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

That could well happen

+ "token irish band with a single in the charts"

Looks like another year of skipping Slane for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

The Roses would sell out Slane in a heartbeat, they've just shifted 150,000 tikcets for Manchester in 45 minutes and have stuck a 3rd date on now. Admitedly they're hometown gigs but there's huge interest outside Manchester as well, they'd do 80,000 across Ireland no bother. You'd also get people travelling to Slane from overseas if they played, hope it happens....

Make that 225,000 tickets in under an hour, that's seriously impressive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Big Game wrote: »
    The Roses would sell out Slane in a heartbeat, they've just shifted 150,000 tikcets for Manchester in 45 minutes and have stuck a 3rd date on now. Admitedly they're hometown gigs but there's huge interest outside Manchester as well, they'd do 80,000 across Ireland no bother. You'd also get people travelling to Slane from overseas if they played, hope it happens....

Make that 225,000 tickets in under an hour, that's seriously impressive.....

Not bad is it?ha..judging by that think they'd deffo sell out Slane..lets hope MCD make the right call,would hate to see them at Oxegen

Id admit if they do play Slane sell it out ill put my hand up:D . I no they sold out 3 nights in the UK but thats because the UK has a bigger population and its their homecoming gig so there will be a lot of people coming from all over the place to see them in their hometown . Apologies for being negative i just really wanna see these guys play :pac::pac::pac:

If these dates are to be believed, they are seemingly getting announced on Monday

Allegedly getting announced on Monday:

Thu 28 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Fri 29 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Sat 30 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Thu 5 July Echo Arena, Liverpool
    Sat 7 July O2 Arena, London
    Sun 8 July O2 Arena, London
    Wed 11 July SECC, Glasgow
    Fri 13 July Slane Castle, Ireland
    Sat 14 July Botanic Gardens, Belfast
    Mon 16 July iTunes Festival, London
    Fri 20 July Espacio Movistar, Barcelona, Spain
    Sat 21 July Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
    Mon 23 July Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
    Wed 25 July Futurshow Station, Bologna, Italy
    Thur 26 July Datch Forum, Milan, Italy
    Sat 28 July O2 World, Berlin, Germany
    Sun 29 July Color Line Arena, Hamburg, Germany
    Tue 2 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
    Wed 3 Aug Spektrum, Oslo, Norway

(lifted from the Glastonbury forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Id admit if they do play Slane sell it out ill put my hand up:D . I no they sold out 3 nights in the UK but thats because the UK has a bigger population and its their homecoming gig so there will be a lot of people coming from all over the place to see them in their hometown . Apologies for being negative i just really wanna see these guys play :pac::pac::pac:

If these dates are to be believed, they are seemingly getting announced on Monday

Allegedly getting announced on Monday:

Thu 28 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Fri 29 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Sat 30 June Heaton Park, Manchester
    Thu 5 July Echo Arena, Liverpool
    Sat 7 July O2 Arena, London
    Sun 8 July O2 Arena, London
    Wed 11 July SECC, Glasgow
    Fri 13 July Slane Castle, Ireland
    Sat 14 July Botanic Gardens, Belfast
    Mon 16 July iTunes Festival, London
    Fri 20 July Espacio Movistar, Barcelona, Spain
    Sat 21 July Palacio de Deportes, Madrid, Spain
    Mon 23 July Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France
    Wed 25 July Futurshow Station, Bologna, Italy
    Thur 26 July Datch Forum, Milan, Italy
    Sat 28 July O2 World, Berlin, Germany
    Sun 29 July Color Line Arena, Hamburg, Germany
    Tue 2 Aug Globe Arena, Stockholm, Sweden
    Wed 3 Aug Spektrum, Oslo, Norway

(lifted from the Glastonbury forum)

Friday gig for Slane? Would prefer the Saturday but would be happy enough. When was the last time there was a Friday Slane??

Mate, anyone (like me!) that is old enough to remember the impact the Roses had at the back end of the 80's and on into the 90's would reckon they'd sell out, they're the most influential band of their generation, none of the explosion of decent music that eventually led to Britpop would have happened without them, no Blur, Oasis, Charlatans, Pulp, Suede, even Radiohead. Teh charts in 1988/89 before them was as bad as they are now, all manufactured Stock Aitken and Waterman ****e. The indie scene exploded directly as a result of the Roses, they were the daddies.

Guarantee it, Slane will sell out if it's announced. There's tons of people (myself included) flying over to Manchester to see them from Ireland as it is, Slane will be class if it happens....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

13th July Slane Castle??

Woops already posted..

Advertisement