Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Id say Muse will take next year off unless they have the new album out.

I sooooooooooo wish your right.

I just need to see Muse sometime soon and I've never been to Slane so I want to see a band with a great live reputation for my first trip so I won't be disappointed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

karaokeman wrote: »
    I sooooooooooo wish your right.

I just need to see Muse sometime soon and I've never been to Slane so I want to see a band with a great live reputation for my first trip so I won't be disappointed.

Ive seen Muse 3 times at this stage but it would be one of those bands that might pull me to Slane ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Never seen Muse but have heard so many awesome things about their live shows. I'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

As long as Slane don't start going down the road a lot of the big festivals seem to be going down of late, by putting the likes of Beyonce and Jay-Z as headliners, then I don't mind too much.
    Not that I have anything against either as such, but Slane just has a history of having the biggest rock/guitar bands of the time as headliners. (We'll try to forget about Bryan Adams, Robbie Williams, Madonna and the Eminem gig that never was).

If they did start going down that Rihanna road, with the state of music of late and the stuff in the charts, I'm not sure where it'd end.

Personally, I'd love to see Queens of the Stone Age there next year. A new album is expected by the end of the year or next year, so who knows. I'm not sure they'd be a big enough draw to headline though. But with the likes of Muse, kasabian and RHCP all with new albums due out, you could surely make a decent line up.

As long as Slane don't start going down the road a lot of the big festivals seem to be going down of late, by putting the likes of Beyonce and Jay-Z as headliners, then I don't mind too much.
    Not that I have anything against either as such, but Slane just has a history of having the biggest rock/guitar bands of the time as headliners. (We'll try to forget about Bryan Adams, Robbie Williams, Madonna and the Eminem gig that never was).

If they did start going down that Rihanna road, with the state of music of late and the stuff in the charts, I'm not sure where it'd end.

Personally, I'd love to see Queens of the Stone Age there next year. A new album is expected by the end of the year or next year, so who knows. I'm not sure they'd be a big enough draw to headline though. But with the likes of Muse, kasabian and RHCP all with new albums due out, you could surely make a decent line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ok I know this will be laughed at here but I'm serious what about Take That with Robbie Williams two sell out shows this year in Croke Park :cool:

ratedR wrote: »

Whats wrong with Bryan Adams? Seen him a few months ago and he was brilliant and looking at the videos from Slane it looked whopper

Whats wrong with Bryan Adams? Seen him a few months ago and he was brilliant and looking at the videos from Slane it looked whopper

Nothing wrong with him at all, but on a list with The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Neil Young, Thin Lizzy - he's a bit out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

The Killers with a supporting act could do it,

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ok I know this will be laughed at here but I'm serious what about Take That with Robbie Williams two sell out shows this year in Croke Park :cool:

Take That would be great at Slane especially as a fivesome.

It's very unlikely though. The reason Robbie headlined is mainly because his music is more appealing to a rock audience than any other boyband stars who emerged from the 90s. Taking Rock DJ as an example, a Queen influenced tune that you would never hear from say Ronan Keating or Justin Timberlake.

Take That as great as they are still don't seem to appeal to a mainstream rock audience. Maybe if Coldplay headlined there would be a chance as they are more in line with general rock fans who have as great a taste in indie as anything else.

I would actually prefer Take That for Oxegen. Slane still sells out, that's the difference and unless Oxegen starts to get a whole heep of worldclass stadium-killing acts they won't be selling out in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Patsy_13

Coldplay!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Only 3 bands I want to see play Slane 2012 - Foo Fighters, Muse but most of all Pearl Jam!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭DirtyLeeds

A reformed Oasis

DirtyLeeds wrote: »
    A reformed Oasis

Oasis played Slane twice.

Croke Park FTW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Pearl Jam

Does anyone know what dates Slane will take place next year, if it does?

I would like to have it in August but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Almost always in May/June iirc.

While I'm here.. Best gig I have EVER attended anywhere was Springsteen in Slane, June Weekend 1985. The hottest day of the year that year, an amazing atmosphere and a superb gig. The crowd was estimated at 100k as the barriers were broken down and a huge amount of people got in. Up to that point it was the biggest crowd that Springsteen had played for and he fell in love with Ireland and Slane at that point. (His words, not mine!!)

Yea i kinda would like it to be late in the summer so it would be darker by the time the headliner comes on stage. Hopefully if its in August and The Foo Fighters do Reading/Leeds they will pop over :D:D . Even grab a few of the bands playing at Reading/Leeds next year. Found someones prediction for next year

ieq7qy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Yea i kinda would like it to be late in the summer so it would be darker by the time the headliner comes on stage. Hopefully if its in August and The Foo Fighters do Reading/Leeds they will pop over :D:D . Even grab a few of the bands playing at Reading/Leeds next year. Found someones prediction for next year

As much as I hate these prediction things, a line up like that would make me buy a ticket right now! To Reading that is

As much as I hate these prediction things, a line up like that would make me buy a ticket right now! To Reading that is

Yea so if they had for example for Slane

Foo Fighters
    Biffy Clyro
    Dropkick Murphys
    Gaslight Anthem
    Feeder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Yea so if they had for example for Slane

Foo Fighters
    Biffy Clyro
    Dropkick Murphys
    Gaslight Anthem
    Feeder
    Slane organisers do seem to get past support acts as headliners, personally I believe that puts Foo's in with a decent shout. They could bring QOTSA back with them as an added bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As their website says, Slane castle does weddings, functions and all sorts of other stuff. Gigs are 1 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

coldplay with snow patrol supporting??

davywalsh7 wrote: »

Its a def very possible id say

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

davywalsh7 wrote: »

God I hope that doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I agree, I think it's time a band like Pearl Jam performed and showed us why people talk so highly of Slane. Most of these recent performances make Slane look like just another venue, we need an iconic performance on par with David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones and Queen - we're not going to get that from Gwyneth Palthrow's husband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I agree, I think it's time a band like Pearl Jam performed and showed us why people talk so highly of Slane. Most of these recent performances make Slane look like just another venue, we need an iconic performance on par with David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones and Queen - we're not going to get that from Gwyneth Palthrow's husband

and pearl jam are the band to do it.without question.they played slane supporting neil young in 1993 and they should have been headlining it.they were incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a Coldplay or Snow Patrol fan, but that'd be a huge lineup. Coldplay are a huge band, future legends. Look at their back catalogue at the amount of great hits they have. Like it or not, they've some great music.

hater-prime.gif

• Advertisement

Slane had the Rolling Stones in 2007.

If anything it would be the past two concerts you would go by to determine whether or not Slane has gone down.

Oasis and Kings of Leon aren't much different from Bowie, Queen, Bruce, Lizzy and that. They are just modern legends but a few years down the line people will look at them in the same light.

Coldplay I admit would be great at Slane. 30 years down the line they will probably be one of the biggest-selling bands of all time with more records sold than U2.

Besides we all know that the one artist who shouldn't have been allowed play Slane is Madonna.

Advertisement