Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Got my tics for the Heaton Park gig on the Sunday - that promises to be one of the greatest ever - just hope the notoriously moody Ian Brown brings his A game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Jeden wrote: »
    - just hope the notoriously moody Ian Brown brings his A game.

Ian Brown has an A game ? :eek: ... I thought it took John Leckie to splice together multiple vocal tracks to find that ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

karaokeman wrote: »
    Apparently the Stone Roses have been announced for 2012 and Slane will take place on the 13th of July.
    I highly doubt Slane will take place on the 13th of July next year, Oxegen is usually always the second weekend in July. Any time during June would suit a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I highly doubt Slane will take place on the 13th of July next year, Oxegen is usually always the second weekend in July. Any time during June would suit a lot better.

I wouldn't rule out 13th July....Oxegen is on 5th-8th July next year, same weekend as TITP...

Plus with RHCP confirmed for 26th June and Coldplay, rumoured to be playing the Aviva 16th June, Slane in mid-July seems very possible!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If the Stone Roses get announced for Slane , then id be seriously worried about Oxegen since they lost 2 big headliners(RHCP/Stone Roses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

If the Stone Roses get announced for Slane , then id be seriously worried about Oxegen since they lost 2 big headliners(RHCP/Stone Roses)

Same could be said for TITP though as it looks like Stone Roses and RHCP won't be playing there either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

They could still have The Killers

If not Oxegen is certainly doomed, unless maybe Muse also come back touring next summer but its unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

karaokeman wrote: »
    They could still have The Killers

If not Oxegen is certainly doomed, unless maybe Muse also come back touring next summer but its unlikely.

the killers again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The Mirror has the Roses down for playing on Friday, 13th which would be the weekend of Oxegen. Either one or the other isn't going ahead then. Also Friday, is an odd day for a one day event of this scale.

Also the Mirror has a gig listed in Belfast the day after Slane. I can't see this happening as it would cannibalise the Slane audience. Slane is popular with the northern folks.

Personally, great as they are I'm not sure the Roses will sell out Slane in a hurry. Heaton Park is a homecoming for them so I can see it there not so convinced about here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

According to the other thread there won't be an Oxegen this year, hopefully that's true

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    According to the other thread there won't be an Oxegen this year, hopefully that's true

Well hopefully not true - Oxegen provides lots of work for people in the production business and locals in Naas. Plus it's a great live music event.

BrianD wrote: »
    Well hopefully not true - Oxegen provides lots of work for people in the production business and locals in Naas. Plus it's a great live music event.

Agreed , even if they downscale it into a smaller festival it could be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I really hope they don't cancel Oxegen, it keeps all the skangers away from Electric Picnic. It could do with an overhaul though, it needs to make up its mind whether it's a rock festival or a pop festival. If they didn't book so many pop acts like The Saturdays or The Killers it might attract a nicer festival crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

so with coldplay seemingly playing aviva in june and chilis doin croker i reckon that only leaves foo fighters r stone roses (with possibly noel gallagher as support i wish!!) to headline slane. any1 else think of any other credible headliners for 2012?
    i reckon ac/dc r certainties for 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The Mirror has the Roses down for playing on Friday, 13th which would be the weekend of Oxegen. Either one or the other isn't going ahead then. Also Friday, is an odd day for a one day event of this scale.

Not true. T in the Park takes place the 6-8th of July.

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    so with coldplay seemingly playing aviva in june and chilis doin croker i reckon that only leaves foo fighters r stone roses (with possibly noel gallagher as support i wish!!) to headline slane. any1 else think of any other credible headliners for 2012?
    i reckon ac/dc r certainties for 2013

At this stage id say either Stone Roses or Foo Fighters will headline Slane 2012

Obviously it would be replaced by something, possibly multiple events.

It hasnt been a great event in its current form for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Tbh it wouldn't really be fair if Stone Roses headlined Slane. They've just reformed, and I think there's a lot of people hopping on the bandwagon just because of that. Maybe they could play Oxegen or something, but I think Slane is a huge gig for any band and a band that just reformed a couple of months ago doesn't really deserve that, if you get what I mean.

I think Foo Fighters would be great for Slane. KOL last year was a joke, they need to start getting proper bands again. They said at Oxegen that they were planning a gig in Ireland 'very soon' and since they're touring until March next year for the moment anyway, it could be Slane they were talking about? They've played there before but weren't headliners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Tbh it wouldn't really be fair if Stone Roses headlined Slane. They've just reformed, and I think there's a lot of people hopping on the bandwagon just because of that. Maybe they could play Oxegen or something, but I think Slane is a huge gig for any band and a band that just reformed a couple of months ago doesn't really deserve that, if you get what I mean.
    Concerts and Venue are rarely measured by who 'deserves' them (whatever that means). It's determined by how many tickets will shift and, ultimately, money talks.

But perhaps you are right and MCD should have no bother passing up the enormous Stone Roses payday and give the Castle to a 'more deserving' band :confused:

In an ideal world!

Naomi00 wrote: »

Personally, I'd be surprised if they could sell out Slane. It's not that they are undeserving of it, I just don't think they have the fan base. Last album in '94, sporadic airplay on the radio. I could certainly see them headline a smaller venue or at a multi-day festival.

July 13th at Slane is one of the "leaked dates" quoted in the Mirror which would correspond to Oxegen [insert new name if required] at Punchestown [insert new venue here if required]. That could make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Personally, I'd be surprised if they could sell out Slane. It's not that they are undeserving of it, I just don't think they have the fan base. Last album in '94, sporadic airplay on the radio. I could certainly see them headline a smaller venue or at a multi-day festival.

July 13th at Slane is one of the "leaked dates" quoted in the Mirror which would correspond to Oxegen [insert new name if required] at Punchestown [insert new venue here if required]. That could make sense.

That's what I mean. They're definitely not the most popular band in the world, but because of their comeback, people are suggesting they could play Slane. They would never have sold it out before, but now that theres a lot of talk about them in the media etc and they suddenly have a lot of 'fans' :rolleyes:, like the way people say they like a band just because they're making a comeback etc. People like that would sell the rest of the tickets along with actual fans, and then there's the people who just go because it's another Slane concert.

To Savman; That's how I mean it wouldn't be 'fair', just couldn't think of another way to describe it. I just think that would be a rubbish gig if half the people don't really know the music, surely a band who could sell out a place with actual fans would be a lot better?
    What I meant was it doesn't make any sense that a band like Stone Roses who haven't been around for ages would play one of the biggest gigs all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

They would-will sell Slane out no problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

rumour going around

stone roses asked to do it and mountcharles said "sorry band is booked" belive the band booked are the foos

bryaner wrote: »
    They would-will sell Slane out no problems..

I just don't see it happening and I'd go myself. Though they'd probably get a lot of UK fans over.

The other thing is that the "leaked dates" show a date in Belfast on July 14th. This would dilute sales at Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

but1er wrote: »
    rumour going around

stone roses asked to do it and mountcharles said "sorry band is booked" belive the band booked are the foos

Snoooooooooooooooooore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Bullshít. They sold 220,000 tickets in just over an hour in the UK. They would probably sell the same again if they went on sale. Id say, relatively there's not a whole lot of difference in the level of interest in Ireland. I know a lot of people that would queue for tickets. They would sell out Slane in no time I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭bren2001

kc66 wrote: »
    Bullshít. They sold 220,000 tickets in just over an hour in the UK. They would probably sell the same again if they went on sale. Id say, relatively there's not a whole lot of difference in the level of interest in Ireland. I know a lot of people that would queue for tickets. They would sell out Slane in no time I'd say

Relatively there is a lot less people. They will sell Slane out, any band booked will sell Slane out wether its Stone Roses or the Foo's. Hopefully I will attend my first Slane in 2013.

but1er wrote: »
    rumour going around

God i bloody hope you are right :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    kc66 wrote: »

The reason they sold 220,000 tickets was it was their own town/city , the fact the UK has a way bigger population. A lot of Irish people are going over to see them in the UK and may not be able to afford tickets if the play over here. As someone said if the do Slane and Beflast which would be about 120,000 tickets combined im just not sure they could do it. I think when they plat in Ireland it will be Pheonix Park/Marlay Park and then a Belfast date maybe Ward Parl/Botanic Gardens

I think when they plat in Ireland it will be Pheonix Park/Marlay Park and then a Belfast date maybe Ward Parl/Botanic Gardens

That would be great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The tour dates list that circulated has been denounced as being rubbish so wouldn't be taking rumour for gospel just yet. It's been all quiet since they did the press conference so I'm sure some kind of announcement is imminent, I think the demand is definitely there and not just in Ireland but across Europe too.

Advertisement