Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Id admit if they do play Slane sell it out ill put my hand up:D . I no they sold out 3 nights in the UK but thats because the UK has a bigger population and its their homecoming gig so there will be a lot of people coming from all over the place to see them in their hometown . Apologies for being negative i just really wanna see these guys play :pac::pac::pac:

If these dates are to be believed, they are seemingly getting announced on Monday

Allegedly getting announced on Monday:

Fri 13 July Slane Castle, Ireland
    Sat 14 July Botanic Gardens, Belfast

(lifted from the Glastonbury forum)

Nah Slane would be on a Saturday, not a hope it would be on Friday because they would be playing Belfast on a Saturday. MCD wouldn't allow that. Slane would have first priority over Botanic Gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Surely there's no way MCD would let Slane and Oxegen clash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elady

I would love to see the Chilli's in Slane, I have seen them in Phoenix park, oxegen.............Slane would be epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

baz2009 wrote: »

They should do, it would keep the numpties and amateur drinkers at Oxegen, so the rest of us could enjoy a gig.......

seachto7 wrote: »
    They should do, it would keep the numpties and amateur drinkers at Oxegen, so the rest of us could enjoy a gig.......

Hilarious.

• Advertisement

Get off your high horse. God saying Slane is better than Oxegen. Anyone who has been to Electric Picnic knows that that is the gig in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Slane isn't better than Oxegen, I coudln't care less where they have a gig, I'm just alergic to numpties and amateur drinkers......

Slane isn't better than Oxegen, I coudln't care less where they have a gig, I'm just alergic to numpties and amateur drinkers......

Sure you're a hardy lad altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

baz2009 wrote: »

Yeah you're absolutely right, would shrink oxegen sales massively. I'd worry the date is correct but that they might just end up headlining oxegen...

Amateur drinkers. Gosh I forgot it was a profession.

By the sounds of you are both of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Oxegen is the weekend off 5th-8th of July 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Pretty sure the Slane gigs are nearly always in Slane.

Apart from that year they had it in Slane.

Pretty sure the Slane gigs are nearly always in Slane.

Apart from that year they had it in Slane.

Nope the never had it in Slane , they have been having gigs in SLANE for years

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

For the love of Christ i hope they dont play that ****hole,ive been waiting since 1994 to see them,i cant see them being a safe booking for Slane,the kids will want Foo Fighting drivel or....whatever,surely The Roses arent big enough for Slane *crosses fingers they arent*

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would think the roses would sell out slane easily, and I was not convinced kings of leon would sell so quickly -since KOL have played here numerous times over the last few years. You will get people with the "going to say I saw them" mentality, this goes for many bands and why I thought many would not be up for the ordeal of KOL at slane.

Most fans would be in their 30's or 40's and have the cash to go to the gig, many would never have seen them, or if they have just once or twice.

This "not big enough" thing comes up in threads every year. You do remember robbie williams, headlined, and the verve (pretty much on the back of a single song), and Madonna (I could see madonna sell out the O2 but was surprised at her playing a field).

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ireland-here-we-come-say-resurrected-stone-roses-2909816.html
    "After Manchester, Ireland is always next on our list," said singer Ian Brown, although he didn't have any detail on where the gig will be.

However, a band source said last night the Irish gig is likely to be a one-day event such as Slane Castle or Marlay Park rather than a festival such as Oxegen.

It won't, however, be the legendary Dublin venue where they played in the late 1980s. Bassist Gary 'Mani' Mounfield said: "We'd loved to get over to Dublin and do a few shows in McGonagles."

Unfortunately, the venue, which was on South Anne Street, is no more.

The then-unknown Mancunians recalled how they had to "fight their way" out of the place after being "bottled" off stage, but had better memories of a show at Feile at Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork in 1995.

"That was probably the second best show the Roses ever played. It was magical," Mani said yesterday.

I hope they do play somewhere else too, couldn't be arsed with slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

My dream act for Slane is the Rolling Stones. I know there isn't a hope in hell but I can dream! :)

For the love of Christ i hope they dont play that ****hole,ive been waiting since 1994 to see them,i cant see them being a safe booking for Slane,the kids will want Foo Fighting drivel or....whatever,surely The Roses arent big enough for Slane *crosses fingers they arent*

Thats cause the Foo Fighters are better :D:D:D:D:D

rubadub wrote: »
    I

This "not big enough" thing comes up in threads every year. You do remember robbie williams, headlined, and the verve (pretty much on the back of a single song), and Madonna (I could see madonna sell out the O2 but was surprised at her playing a field).

Robbie Williams and The Verve were MASSIVE at the time they played. Times have changed yes, but back then those acts were massive, and they sold it out.

Times have changed yes, but back then those acts were massive, and they sold it out.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2011/10/21/18858586-wenn-story.html
    WENN revealed on Tuesday that the band had provisionally booked the venue for a third night, on July 1, and after the two comeback shows sold out on Friday, tickets for the extra gig were made available - and were also snapped up within 15 minutes.

It means the Stone Roses sold 240,000 tickets in less than an hour - smashing the record held by Oasis, who took a day to sell all 250,000 tickets for their shows at Knebworth in 1996.

They still sound reasonable big/popular to me, oasis were bigger in 96 and sold out slane in 2009.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2011/10/21/18858586-wenn-story.html

They still sound reasonable big/popular to me, oasis were bigger in 96 and sold out slane in 2009.

No I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Yes The Stone Roses can sell it out! But about Robbie and The Verve, they sold it out back then because they were big at the time. Back then it wasn't like "What?? Why the **** is Robbie Williams playing???".

• Advertisement

No I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Yes The Stone Roses can sell it out! But about Robbie and The Verve, they sold it out back then because they were big at the time. Back then it wasn't like "What?? Why the **** is Robbie Williams playing???".
    It was like that to a lot of people I knew at the time, and when the verve headlined. KOL played last year and there were was a huge thread of annoyed people.

I am not saying I was surprised they sold out, what I am saying is no matter who is announced you always get the "not big enough" whingers, as though ever single other year had a timeless legendary amazing headliner. Demanding springsteen, ac/dc, elvis, the beatles and queen (with freddie) all play the same date -and then they will moan about the price of drink!

From 2010
    bonerm wrote: »
    Slane : A history ....

1981 Thin Lizzy
    1982 The Rolling Stones
    1983 U2
    1984 Bob Dylan
    1985 Bruce Springsteen
    1986 Queen
    1987 David Bowie
    1992 Guns N' Roses
    1993 Neil Young
    1995 R.E.M.

(going well up to this point, and then .....)

1998 The Verve :eek:
    1999 Robbie Williams :eek: wtf?
    2000 Bryan Adams
    ... etc .... etc .....

and also!
    The Smiths supported by the Stone Roses 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I honestly can't see how The Stone Roses would be big enough to sell out Slane, then again i thought the same of KoL

Thing is, even the most ardent Stone Roses fan will admit that they've never been known for being a great live band, got some good studio tracks but never been one of those 'Blow you away' type of live bands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Given the timing I'd say Oxegen is much more likely than Slane. Considering either option I've couldnt be happier to have bought a ticket to the Manchester gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I seriously hope they do not play poxygen. It'll be full of kids who don't know any of their songs.

I said after the disastrous Slane 2009 (Oasis) that i would never ever go there again unless Pink floyd reformed. Stone Roses to me are the next best thing and i would kill or maim to get a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

This "not big enough" thing comes up in threads every year. You do remember robbie williams, headlined, and the verve (pretty much on the back of a single song)
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ireland-here-we-come-say-resurrected-stone-roses-2909816.html

I hope they do play somewhere else too, couldn't be arsed with slane.

The verve on the back of a single song?? They had 2 of the best albums of the nineties before that single song on their third album. Laughable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

According this, Slane is on Friday 13th of July with Stone Roses headlining. Then they're playing the Botanic Gardens in Belfast the day after.

Don't know how official it is, but good rumour fodder if nothing else.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/10/21/stone-roses-slane-july-13-2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Apparently the Stone Roses have been announced for 2012 and Slane will take place on the 13th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭bren2001

karaokeman wrote: »
    Apparently the Stone Roses have been announced for 2012 and Slane will take place on the 13th of July.

Read on a few places online that the Heaton Park shows will be the climax of the tour rather than the start. Would mean a Slane date in June which I would tend to believe a bit more. But with Coldplay on 16th of June (supossidely) and RHCP on the 26th doesnt leave too much room for Slane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Stone Roses would be unbelievable. I can't actually think of another band big enough that hasn't played there relatively recently. Noel Gallagher supporting would be icing on the cake.

Advertisement