Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭bren2001

I agree, I think it's time a band like Pearl Jam performed and showed us why people talk so highly of Slane. Most of these recent performances make Slane look like just another venue, we need an iconic performance on par with David Bowie, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones and Queen - we're not going to get that from Gwyneth Palthrow's husband

I think Chris Martin is a little bit more famous than Gwyneth Palthrow in Ireland....

They are all great acts and I have the utmost respect for them but new acts come in and deserve their slot at Slane. It was a much bigger event years ago as bands would tour less and often skip Ireland. That has changed you can see you favorite band once every two years (on average). If Coldplay do it, they will be one of the biggest acts in the world next year and deserve the slot. When KOL did it they were the biggest act in the world. Its what Slane attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Is there definitely going to be one in 2012 then?It's usually announced in October/November time so not long to wait. Been to the last two, Big fan of Oasis and Kings of Leon and I will go next year no matter who it is (as long as its not someone like Beyonce). As its a great day out. We usually make a weekend of it and camp down the road. Would love to see U2 but its unlikely so i'd settle for Coldplay with someone like Noel Gallagher and Kasabian supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Is there definitely going to be one in 2012 then?It's usually announced in October/November time so not long to wait. Been to the last two, Big fan of Oasis and Kings of Leon and I will go next year no matter who it is (as long as its not someone like Beyonce). As its a great day out. We usually make a weekend of it and camp down the road. Would love to see U2 but its unlikely so i'd settle for Coldplay with someone like Noel Gallagher and Kasabian supporting.

Heard Coldplay are very good live and if Noel Gallagher and Kasabian were supporting id be there in a shot!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

i reckon its gonna be the red hot chilli peppers they will be on there second leg of their tour at the start of next summer............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

mooeire wrote: »
    Heard Coldplay are very good live and if Noel Gallagher and Kasabian were supporting id be there in a shot!!!!!!

Noel Gallagher supporting Coldplay may be an option, perhaps he should be third on the slot with the Strokes or Snow Patrol coming second.

On the subject of Kasabian, it turns out they never want to be a support act again so a second slot from them is probably a no-no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

karaokeman wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher supporting Coldplay may be an option, perhaps he should be third on the slot with the Strokes or Snow Patrol coming second.

On the subject of Kasabian, it turns out they never want to be a support act again so a second slot from them is probably a no-no.

Could see Kasabian either doing Oxegen again or maybe going for a Marley Park gig (with someone like Noel supporting) .

Slane usually gets one big band as a support these days (the size of an arena band eg Prodigy 09 , Elbow 10) so i doubt we would get both Snow Patrol and Strokes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Could see Kasabian either doing Oxegen again or maybe going for a Marley Park gig (with someone like Noel supporting) .

Slane usually gets one big band as a support these days (the size of an arena band eg Prodigy 09 , Elbow 10) so i doubt we would get both Snow Patrol and Strokes

I know that Snow Patrol and the Strokes won't be both playing as support. I think it could be one of the two, more likely Snow Patrol but I would be happy with either.

And yeah Kasabian are still a possibility for Oxegen, wouldn't mind Marley Park either but I do think N. Gallagher will be more likely for Oxegen.

karaokeman wrote: »
    I know that Snow Patrol and the Strokes won't be both playing as support. I think it could be one of the two, more likely Snow Patrol but I would be happy with either.

And yeah Kasabian are still a possibility for Oxegen, wouldn't mind Marley Park either but I do think N. Gallagher will be more likely for Oxegen.

Yea if Strokes have a new album out they will prob be back . Id be happy with Snow Patrol supporting either Coldplay or Foo Fighters .

Id hope Kasabian stay away from Oxegen and just do their own gig(imo they are way better on their own gig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Think Snow Patrol as a support act is a bit optimistic imo. I'd have thought they could do it themselves never mind supporting Coldplay, who could also do it without too much help.

Yea id loved to see SP finally headline Slane just for the irish thing ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Snow Patrol will do Ward Park again before they would headline Slane!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭mark182

As much as I hate these prediction things, a line up like that would make me buy a ticket right now! To Reading that is

Yea so if they had for example for Slane

Foo Fighters
    Biffy Clyro
    Dropkick Murphys
    Gaslight Anthem
    Feeder

Somebody please arrange that gig, It would be perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

mark182 wrote: »
    Somebody please arrange that gig, It would be perfection

This video (which is top class quality) is from Oxegen 2011 where Dave Grohl practically confirms that Foo Fighters will be returning to Ireland soon and he knows when. Surely a large possibility of Slane.

The entire video is worth a watch but if you wish to skip directly to the speech go to 3.22 or for the reference of returning to Ireland skip to 5.06...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKOOWzrxDxw&feature=related

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Snow Patrol will do Ward Park again before they would headline Slane!

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mooeire wrote: »

Matter of opinion really. Was bored sh!tless of them after about 30 minutes at Glastonbury this year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

bren2001 wrote: »
    I think Chris Martin is a little bit more famous than Gwyneth Palthrow in Ireland....

Google.ie results for Chris Martin - 35.2 Million
    Google.ie results for Gwyneth Palthrow - 38.2 Million

I hate Chris Martin so anything that I can do to embarass him is part of my mission

Speaking of which, THIS is why we shouldn't have Coldplay at Slane 2012 (or any Slane)

I hate Chris Martin so anything that I can do to embarass him is part of my mission

Speaking of which, THIS is why we shouldn't have Coldplay at Slane 2012 (or any Slane)

Surely Coldplay headlining cant be as bad as these guys doing Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭bren2001

It was a passing comment. Gwyneth Palthrow has also been around for a fair bit longer than Chris Martin. Her biggest film, Seven, was out in 1995, Coldplay had not formed. I also don't think Goolge search is the best way to determine someones fame. I also meant it in the musical world, we are in the music section of boards.ie.

Coldplay are an excellent band that deserve to headline Slane at some point. Regardless of wether you like them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Get that man a tampon ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Coldplay are an excellent band that deserve to headline Slane at some point. Regardless of wether you like them or not.

well said!!

i think its between either foo fighters r coldplay to headline tbh, with sum1 lik snow patrol supporting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

The Smashing Pumpkins have a new album out soon and are touring, they would be great imo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    The Smashing Pumpkins have a new album out soon and are touring, they would be great imo

Not nearly big enough anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Not nearly big enough anymore

Really..... suppose it was a bit wishful, The Script it is so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

I'd love to see Kasabian play - I think they supported Oasis when they headlined a few years back. Reckon they would be a good choice, maybe a swicharoo with Noel Gallagher supporting.....probably not!

My 4 picks are Foo Fighters/Coldplay/The Killers/Snow Patrol , or if Snow Patrol dont headline they will be main support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

My 4 picks are Foo Fighters/Coldplay/The Killers/Snow Patrol , or if Snow Patrol dont headline they will be main support

I feel Snow Patrol are a certainty for headline slot at Oxegen which would rule them out. I could see Coldplay doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Kasabian supported by Noel and Snow Patrol please

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

I also meant it in the musical world, we are in the music section of boards.ie.

So you're saying a musician is better known in the music world than an actress?

edit: also, Seven's nowhere near her biggest film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Pumpkins wouldn't half fill Slane anymore, especially since the last gig in the RDS was such a disaster!

• Advertisement

I feel Snow Patrol are a certainty for headline slot at Oxegen which would rule them out. I could see Coldplay doing it.

Yea i would not be surprised if SP did Oxegen but id rather see them do their own gig since it would be 3 headline slots at Oxegen since 2007

Advertisement