Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Are there any protocols in place if an officer knows an inmate personally?
    There are no written rules as far as I know except i know relations of a prison officer usually end up being sent to another prison ,I have come across people in mountjoy that I knew slightly from outside and they were more embarrassed than i was after all Im doing a job while they have broken the law and been CAUGHT ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Are there any protocols in place if an officer knows an inmate personally?
    i would know a lot from the area i grew up in. they are certainly not embarrassed when they see me. most know the score though and i'd have a quiet word with the spanners.

what is the story with these AH letters? thats terrible. oh silly me i forgot you are not supposed to have a life. the wording in them is bad form :mad:

3 incidents in 6 months - lol i'm ****ed already!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macroman29

Lads what time do you need to have the 40x15 run down to pass with ease. Done it today coming in in 3m 12sec ?. I suppose ill do it faster on the day. Im thinking of pacing it for the first 30 and burst a gut on the last 10 ?. any advice most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

macroman29 wrote: »
    Lads what time do you need to have the 40x15 run down to pass with ease. Done it today coming in in 3m 12sec ?. I suppose ill do it faster on the day. Im thinking of pacing it for the first 30 and burst a gut on the last 10 ?. any advice most welcome.

There will be two lads there telling you how many you have done and how much time you have left so don't worry about trying to count it. Pacing yourself early on is the way to go, the adrenaline will get you over the last few. Best of luck. If you hear any mention of a start date when your down there let us know. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

what is the story with these AH letters? thats terrible. oh silly me i forgot you are not supposed to have a life. the wording in them is bad form :mad:

3 incidents in 6 months - lol i'm ****ed already!

Hey Bitter,

Without going into too much detail, what was the general jist of the letter??:confused:

Cheers

There will be two lads there telling you how many you have done and how much time you have left so don't worry about trying to count it. Pacing yourself early on is the way to go, the adrenaline will get you over the last few. Best of luck. If you hear any mention of a start date when your down there let us know. Cheers.
    Will do mate thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

this may sound like a stupid question but on the shuttle runs. the description says running "backwards and forwards" i assume you get to the end of the 15 metres, turn and run back to your start point, its not actually running backwards ie back tracking?

ive been doing it between 3:00 and 3:15 without really pushing at all so just wondering incase ive read it wrong altogether.

Everything else seems fairly easy, also any directions to the training and development centre from the m50 would be much appreciated. cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

rogieop wrote: »
    this may sound like a stupid question but on the shuttle runs. the description says running "backwards and forwards" i assume you get to the end of the 15 metres, turn and run back to your start point, its not actually running backwards ie back tracking?

ive been doing it between 3:00 and 3:15 without really pushing at all so just wondering incase ive read it wrong altogether.

Everything else seems fairly easy, also any directions to the training and development centre from the m50 would be much appreciated. cheers.

Hi,
    You're doing it properly. Just remember to keep to the pace that suits you, on the day people will go like the clappers and others will try to keep up with them and end up burning out before they have the number of runs done..

LoanShark wrote: »
    Hi,
    You're doing it properly. Just remember to keep to the pace that suits you, on the day people will go like the clappers and others will try to keep up with them and end up burning out before they have the number of runs done..

thanks very much, just had another go at it and coming in around the 3 min mark. did the 40 shuttles, gave myself 1 min break, then the 7 sprint shuttles, 1 min break and then the fire extinguisher one, took a one min break and repeated it and got through all with time to spare so ill be confident enough for friday. just need a good nights sleep and get there early.

out of interest, when you did it did many people not make it through? must be gutting to get this far and then fail the physical.

• Advertisement

thanks very much, just had another go at it and coming in around the 3 min mark. did the 40 shuttles, gave myself 1 min break, then the 7 sprint shuttles, 1 min break and then the fire extinguisher one, took a one min break and repeated it and got through all with time to spare so ill be confident enough for friday. just need a good nights sleep and get there early.

out of interest, when you did it did many people not make it through? must be gutting to get this far and then fail the physical.

4 girls didn't pass the 40x15 shuttle runs when I did mine but they passed everything else. There was about 25 of us there on the day. If you don't pass a particular test you will be given one more chance to pass at a later date. By the sounds of things you'll have no bother. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alan7

hey there. i passed the aptitude test in the 08 panel , came in around 530 and have not heard anything since, any body have any idea if its gone then or should i expect to get an interview some time soon. any info be great, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

Bitter lemon what the story with the AH letters didnt hear anything about them. Best of luck to all the hopeful new recruits 2m and if there is any word on a start date post up hear. Beladd is just up the road on the right past portlaoise hospital and before midlands and portlaoise prisons hope to be seeing some new faces in the jails soon enough.

Salmon wrote: »
    Hey Bitter,

Without going into too much detail, what was the general jist of the letter??:confused:

Cheers
    i found out for definite it is just localised in our jail so i can't go into too much detail. basically done under the code of discipline if you avail of your rest day 3 times in a 6 month period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

i found out for definite it is just localised in our jail so i can't go into too much detail. basically done under the code of discipline if you avail of your rest day 3 times in a 6 month period.

Is that not double punishment. You are not getting paid so a code of discipline is doing you twice for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

Will do mate thanks

3mins 30 seconds 40 x 15

Rawhead wrote: »
    Is that not double punishment. You are not getting paid so a code of discipline is doing you twice for the same thing.
    in my experience it depends on who you are as to wheather the code of dis is used , some are done some are not , the code of dis is to punish you for not turning up and will prob result in the ah hours being taken away which in the long run does noone any good . kind of defeats the purpose if u ask me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

good luck to everyone doing the pct today hope you all fly through it

Rawhead wrote: »
    yes you are right. the union are having a meeting over it but the croke park agreement and document change it is in black and white you can be under the code of discipline if you do not turn up for AH ie "extraordinary" circumstances ie your mother/father/partner died or you had a accident coming to work. otherwise they have the power.
    ips are out to get blood and they will get it. i will retract it though next week. they are making the rules up as they go along :mad:
    i was backed into a corner on this one.

cordub wrote: »
    in my experience it depends on who you are as to wheather the code of dis is used , some are done some are not , the code of dis is to punish you for not turning up and will prob result in the ah hours being taken away which in the long run does noone any good . kind of defeats the purpose if u ask me :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    they are not threatening taking away the 360 band. that does not suit them. they are looking at taking an increment or operational allowance off you.
    as i said its localised and the brain child of a certain individual who holds power.

• Advertisement

did the pct today. mainly everyone felw through it, one or two girls didnt make it. there was 3 groups of about 10-15. Everybody who passed got measured for their uniforms but we were told that means f*** all and that there was no date set yet for the next batch of recruits.

was good to see most get through.

did the pct today. mainly everyone felw through it, one or two girls didnt make it. there was 3 groups of about 10-15. Everybody who passed got measured for their uniforms but we were told that means f*** all and that there was no date set yet for the next batch of recruits.

Well done I hope you get the offer love to see new blood coming into the service :D:D:D:D

well done did it 2day myself, passed no bother, felt so bad for the 3 girls that didnt pass 2day, 3 years of waiting and to fail the 40 x 15m runs is harsh, 1 of the girls was 4 seconds out, really bad form i think,
    not holding my breath for a start date anyways, why cant they tell you what the story is???? everything is 'we dont know anything' blah blah blah, whats going on in there like???? very frustrating process......

pada1981 wrote: »
    well done did it 2day myself, passed no bother, felt so bad for the 3 girls that didnt pass 2day, 3 years of waiting and to fail the 40 x 15m runs is harsh, 1 of the girls was 4 seconds out, really bad form i think,
    not holding my breath for a start date anyways, why cant they tell you what the story is???? everything is 'we dont know anything' blah blah blah, whats going on in there like???? very frustrating process......

I'd say its to do with funding. Any recruitment/spending in the public sector has to approved by government. Probably sh!t loads of red tape. I can't see it being too long though or else they wouldn't be doing the pct tests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

cordub wrote: »
    Well done I hope you get the offer love to see christmas leave coming into the service :D:D:D:D

Just corrected that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Well done to everyone who passed yesterday,and unfortunate for the people who didn't,maybe they'll get another chance at a later date if it's their first time failing.Hopefully you get a date now soon enough for when your starting......:D:D:D:D

Well done to everyone who passed yesterday,and unfortunate for the people who didn't,maybe they'll get another chance at a later date if it's their first time failing.Hopefully you get a date now soon enough for when your starting......:D:D:D:D
    Passed myself yesterday thank god was not as hard as I thought. When people are cheering you on it helps a lot. Best of luck to all.

I'd say its to do with funding. Any recruitment/spending in the public sector has to approved by government. Probably sh!t loads of red tape. I can't see it being too long though or else they wouldn't be doing the pct tests.[/QUOT

true that!!!!
    a few people were saying that you'll get a letter for a start date and you'll have less than a week to sort out your job your leaving and stuff, one extreme to another..... all im saying is that its really a long drawn out process and nobody seems to know anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Yourwellcum

pada1981 wrote: »
    I'd say its to do with funding. Any recruitment/spending in the public sector has to approved by government. Probably sh!t loads of red tape. I can't see it being too long though or else they wouldn't be doing the pct tests.[/QUOT

true that!!!!
    a few people were saying that you'll get a letter for a start date and you'll have less than a week to sort out your job your leaving and stuff, one extreme to another..... all im saying is that its really a long drawn out process and nobody seems to know anything...

Dont be surprised if you get a call on a friday to start on the monday. Trust me thats quite normal

• Advertisement

surely not????? i cant just walk out of my current job like that, its not very professional for one and i would lose a few bob aswell

Advertisement