Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

pada1981 wrote: »
    i heard theres a few heros in there alright, dont worry bout me mate ill be fine, sure dont i have the like of you jedis to get advice from

Wow! A good one on the way lads:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

poolboy wrote: »
    Wow! A good one on the way lads:rolleyes:
    THANK god he will be in Dublin :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

i heard theres a few heros in there alright, dont worry bout me mate ill be fine, sure dont i have the like of you jedis to get advice from

It's us "heros & jedis" that will be watching your back and stopping you from getting the rest of us in trouble,you've already put yourself out there as a "heat-seeker" so we'll have to be on our toes when your about...and you'll be spotted straight away regardless of what Dublin jail you're posted to

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

well if youfollowed the whole thread muppet, you would see that i was looking for advice, youll be easy to spot , you'll be the dude with his head up his own arse!!!! muppet

Firstly, if YOU followed the whole thread, you'd see your queries had been already covered numerous times.
    Covered, i might add, by serving officers with decades of experience between them, who despite this, took the time out of their day to do you a favour.
    If you choose not to take our advice on board then that's entirely your business but i'm gonna try one more time;

If you can get wound up this easily by some stranger's well-meant comment on some internet forum where you're hiding behind your keyboard, then you need to seriously re-think your career choice.
    You react like that with a prisoner & i absolutely guarentee it will end up in tears. I'm sure you're a handsome little chap so think on if you dont fancy getting striped.

Like i said, it's your choice, take it or leave it, unfortunately however, it'll be myself & my colleagues putting OUR safety at risk to go & rescue you and take you home to your mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

what does that mean, uve seen it all, done it all, fairplay

I really don't care enough to start into an argument so I'll just leave it for now.. But read the advice of serving officers about the how your attitude can not only land you but the rest of us in bother.. with all your talk you havent told us if you've got the call to start on the 24th..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 lozzy23

not in the job a wet week myself but listened to some of the threaders on here some are down to earth others are a pain in the arse like every job but Pada do u even know any po's or rpo's. Congrats to everyone else and welcome to the world of sligo dont want to ruin the surprise just yet ha

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Hey,

Friend of mine got a call from HR on Wednesday asking her to start her training on the 24th of this month. She was told her contract would be put in the post that evening, but hasn't received it yet.

Anyone else received their's yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

anndub wrote: »
    Hey,

Friend of mine got a call from HR on Wednesday asking her to start her training on the 24th of this month. She was told her contract would be put in the post that evening, but hasn't received it yet.

Was told the same...still waiting:confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

Firstly, if YOU followed the whole thread, you'd see your queries had been already covered numerous times.
    Covered, i might add, by serving officers with decades of experience between them, who despite this, took the time out of their day to do you a favour.
    If you choose not to take our advice on board then that's entirely your business but i'm gonna try one more time;

If you can get wound up this easily by some stranger's well-meant comment on some internet forum where you're hiding behind your keyboard, then you need to seriously re-think your career choice.
    You react like that with a prisoner & i absolutely guarentee it will end up in tears. I'm sure you're a handsome little chap so think on if you dont fancy getting striped.

Like i said, it's your choice, take it or leave it, unfortunately however, it'll be myself & my colleagues putting OUR safety at risk to go & rescue you and take you home to your mammy.

you right, im so sorry

LoanShark wrote: »
    I really don't care enough to start into an argument so I'll just leave it for now.. But read the advice of serving officers about the how your attitude can not only land you but the rest of us in bother.. with all your talk you havent told us if you've got the call to start on the 24th..

no i didnt by the way

• Advertisement

lozzy23 wrote: »
    not in the job a wet week myself but listened to some of the threaders on here some are down to earth others are a pain in the arse like every job but Pada do u even know any po's or rpo's. Congrats to everyone else and welcome to the world of sligo dont want to ruin the surprise just yet ha

yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Like everything else, your contracts will likely arrive at the last minute.

I got mine so late that I had to send it by registered post to ensure they would get it before I started. Was told of a bloke who got it so late he simply brought it Beladd with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

Does anyone no how many people are left on the panel for the Prison Service?

Also anybody reckon there will be another recruitment drive in the next year or two.
    Was two young for the last one sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

Does anyone no how many people are left on the panel for the Prison Service?

Also anybody reckon there will be another recruitment drive in the next year or two.
    Was two young for the last one sadly :(

To be honest I don't really know about another panel being taken on soon,absolutely no talk of it in the jails,hard enough to get recruits from the '08 panel and they've been waiting 3 yrs already, so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.........don't hold your breath,****ty as it may seem,that's the reality we're in.....great job though and well worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

To be honest I don't really know about another panel being taken on soon,absolutely no talk of it in the jails,hard enough to get recruits from the '08 panel and they've been waiting 3 yrs already, so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but.........don't hold your breath,****ty as it may seem,that's the reality we're in.....great job though and well worth the wait.

:( Thanks redhotdevil for the honest reply. I was too young to apply for the 2008 competition. Id love a career in the Guards or either the Prison Service.

In the Garda Reserve at the moment and nearly finshed college so hoping something will come up soon but as you said not holding me breath about it :( .

In my own experince of talking to Guards and PO, surprisingly there has been a much better response from POs of going into a career in the Prison service than the Guards.

Which ever one does come up im without doubt going to go fopr it.
    Best of luck to everyone starting or thats in training at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

oh i haven't been on here for a little while and i heard - manna from the gods. its true this time - new recruits :D

its a new breed though. they are smart, they are sharp and beladd will teach them so well!

what with that and sligo rtc they will be super.

best of luck peoples. i think you're all mad for coming in on the wages you are on but sure enough said..............

ips is looking for social workers these days. the judges are getting stripped of their wigs - i can envisage a time where we are stripped of our uniforms.
    it scares the scumbags and scumbagettes doncha know.

it just amuses me that the very people who are teaching you have not stepped foot in a jail in donkeys years or in the case of sligo rtc not at all! its a bit silly now preaching when so much has changed in the past few years. and they sit in their cushy offices with their cushy wages and tell you what to do? get the boat!
    softly softly now boys and girls.

do not become bitter like me. embrace it and encourage it.

to infinity and beyond ;)

(well i think i'm funny and thats all that matters - if you can't have a giggle theres no point)

oh i haven't been on here for a little while and i heard - manna from the gods. its true this time - new recruits :D

its a new breed though. they are smart, they are sharp and beladd will teach them so well!

best of luck peoples. i think you're all mad for coming in on the wages you are on but sure enough said..............

ips is looking for social workers these days. the judges are getting stripped of their wigs - i can envisage a time where we are stripped of our uniforms.
    it scares the scumbags and scumbagettes doncha know.

it just amuses me that the very people who are teaching you have not stepped foot in a jail in donkeys years or in the case of sligo rtc not at all! its a bit silly now preaching when so much has changed in the past few years. and they sit in their cushy offices with their cushy wages and tell you what to do? get the boat!
    softly softly now boys and girls.

do not become bitter like me. embrace it and encourage it.

to infinity and beyond ;)

(well i think i'm funny and thats all that matters - if you can't have a giggle theres no point)

The wages I'll be getting in the IPS will be 100% better than the wages I'm on now!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jailer

QUOTE]

The wages I'll be getting in the IPS will be 100% better than the wages I'm on now!;)[/Quote]

I can appreciate that, I think it's very easy for some of my colleagues not to appreciate the situation outside their 4 walls at times.
    I personally have friends and family who are exactly in your position, I wish you the best and hope you get in the door sometime soon. No doubt you've picked up on a lot of negativity on here it's a pity really because it doesn't give you a balanced view. I only recently jones boards and had an interesting few days thrashing through the old posts, it makes for good reading BUT when your on the inside you can identify what is crap and what is not.
    It's not easy for the likes of you, this thread should be about info for you guys and girls , not easy I know but I you do take the time to look through it then you might get some hints.
    Saw in an earlier post someone said about a private forum so that management could not listen in etc. I wish there was at least we could keep this specific to people looking to joining. Then again some people welcome the attention from management.
    I don't know a lot about Sligo rtc but would think it might be an idea if anyone on the panel could apply for the course to Sligo and start doin it now as a civilian. It might knock a year off when they join or they might have it finished before they get the call. My advice get the info of the course and. Contact Sligo rtc or perhaps someone doing the course right now pass on the info.

I've heard a mixed bag of comments about the Sligo course and to be honest I've heard more negativity from those who haven't even done it. I'd like to hear from some people who have actually finished it and all the pain part is over. To give a balanced opinion.

Just a thought hope it helps.

Jailer wrote: »
    QUOTE]

The wages I'll be getting in the IPS will be 100% better than the wages I'm on now!;)

I can appreciate that, I think it's very easy for some of my colleagues not to appreciate the situation outside their 4 walls at times.
    I personally have friends and family who are exactly in your position, I wish you the best and hope you get in the door sometime soon. No doubt you've picked up on a lot of negativity on here it's a pity really because it doesn't give you a balanced view. I only recently jones boards and had an interesting few days thrashing through the old posts, it makes for good reading BUT when your on the inside you can identify what is crap and what is not.
    It's not easy for the likes of you, this thread should be about info for you guys and girls , not easy I know but I you do take the time to look through it then you might get some hints.
    Saw in an earlier post someone said about a private forum so that management could not listen in etc. I wish there was at least we could keep this specific to people looking to joining. Then again some people welcome the attention from management.
    I don't know a lot about Sligo rtc but would think it might be an idea if anyone on the panel could apply for the course to Sligo and start doin it now as a civilian. It might knock a year off when they join or they might have it finished before they get the call. My advice get the info of the course and. Contact Sligo rtc or perhaps someone doing the course right now pass on the info.

I've heard a mixed bag of comments about the Sligo course and to be honest I've heard more negativity from those who haven't even done it. I'd like to hear from some people who have actually finished it and all the pain part is over. To give a balanced opinion.

Just a thought hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

well said, you seem to be the only realistic dude on here

Just a thought hope it helps.

HI,
    Participation in the Sligo course is written into your contract and you are expected to pass the course..( NO Exceptions), So doing the course of your own bat could lead to nothing more than a waste of money (but I honestly dont know how that could pan out..) If you want to do a course, try a beginner course in social physcology or criminalology at least that would get you into the frame of mind for the job.

I'm in the middle of the course, Its tough going, With your normal roster and then AH on top as well as trying to have a normal family life outside of the job finding time to do course work and keeping to deadlines is tough.

Do I think the course is worthwhile....
    Short Answer..No.
    Long Answer... It has potential in helping officers understand the ways of thinking of the prisoners if the prisoner acted in the way that THEY think the prisoner should act..

• Advertisement

Welcome back Bitter... We I .. You've been missed!

However, you'll find its ITSligo not Sligo rtc..

P.S. I think you're funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

well said, you seem to be the only realistic dude on here
    no i didnt by the way

our loss...

Hey,

Contract arrived today. Now where do I get a sewing kit?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Contact arrived today. Now where do I get a sewing kit?:)

I have one never used i bought for my OH going into PS 2 years ago.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jailer

Hey,

Contact arrived today. Now where do I get a sewing kit?:)

Don't worry too much bout the sewing kit. They won't be checking for it . Well they didn't nearly 20 years ago anyway. Someone else is bound to have one if you burst a button. Would advise Kiwi polish though.

Good luck with the training

QUOTE]

Just a thought hope it helps.[/QUOTE]
    really? depends on your living circumstances and overheads i suppose.

there are plenty of threads on recruit prison officers. the title of this thread has nothing to do with that. see where the confusion comes from? this is a mixed bag thread - if you want a thread on recruits and college etc maybe specifically post in them ones?
    you will get different replys here. its called life experience.

our loss...

enough said, creep

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

enough said, creep
    Infracted for personal abuse. No further comment on this post please and thanks.

LoanShark wrote: »
    Welcome back Bitter... We I .. You've been missed!

However, you'll find its ITSligo not Sligo rtc..

P.S. I think you're funny..
    lol thanks for the correction ;)
    i probably should go back to college meself.
    ah sure i just like to give out a lot but i do it with a smile on my face.
    this place wrecks me head - i'm off to smash the gaff up! :mad::(:D:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Contract arrived today. Now where do I get a sewing kit?:)

I'd advise getting one, just a small one, because your uniform is so poorly made that the buttons may well have come off your tunic or epaulettes before they even arrives to you.
    As Jailer said, get Kiwi shoe polish, the kind in the circular tin. Any other kind won't cut it.
    Also, get yourself one of those mesh ironing sheets, if you iron your trousers without one they will go shiny and be ruined.
    Your mother/wife should be able to source you one.
    Here's a picture of one just incase...

Advertisement