Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hit_killer

pada1981 wrote: »
    surely not????? i cant just walk out of my current job like that, its not very professional for one and i would lose a few bob aswell

It happened to me, finished up on the Thursday and began training in Beladd the following Monday, I just gave the heads up to my previous job.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭pada1981

hit_killer wrote: »
    It happened to me, finished up on the Thursday and began training in Beladd the following Monday, I just gave the heads up to my previous job.

i cant tell them they would just get rid of me, couldnt blame them either to be fair, hopefully wont come to that, would like to be able to work my notice and walk away with no baggage, crazy system of doing things by the way, telling you on a thursday and starting on a monday. mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

crazy system of doing things by the way, telling you on a thursday and starting on a monday. mad stuff

It gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭redhotdevil

It gets better.

In what way............

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

It gets better.

Do Tell....

• Advertisement

The whole prison service seems to be built on crazy systems of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

i cant tell them they would just get rid of me, couldnt blame them either to be fair, hopefully wont come to that, would like to be able to work my notice and walk away with no baggage, crazy system of doing things by the way, telling you on a thursday and starting on a monday. mad stuff
    get used to it. or its not the job for you. sorry, but thats the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

get used to it. or its not the job for you. sorry, but thats the way it is
    im not complaining about the job just the recuitment process, its a bit mad.

by the way, we all got measured for uniforms after the pct last friday, we were told not to read anything into this???? they need our measurements on file, so we were told, wtf???

im not complaining about the job just the recuitment process, its a bit mad.

by the way, we all got measured for uniforms after the pct last friday, we were told not to read anything into this???? they need our measurements on file, so we were told, wtf???

Hi,
    The process is a bit mad,But thats the service that you're getting into..Things can change in the blink of an eye..

The measurement of uniforms is so, that our uniform pack can be made up..IF your are lucky to start in a class in the next couple of weeks, Chances are by either end of the first half of day one or day two, you'll be in uniform.

The reason they say not to read into it is just to keep from getting your hopes up that you'll be starting straight away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

what type of oppertunities are there once you're in?

i know you do the c+r courses and stuff but is there oppertunities to do extra? paramedics and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jailer

LoanShark wrote: »
    Hi,
    The process is a bit mad,But thats the service that you're getting into..Things can change in the blink of an eye..

The measurement of uniforms is so, that our uniform pack can be made up..IF your are lucky to start in a class in the next couple of weeks, Chances are by either end of the first half of day one or day two, you'll be in uniform.

The reason they say not to read into it is just to keep from getting your hopes up that you'll be starting straight away....

Spot on !!

(Thinks) Things appear madder than usual because everything has to be put through the Dept of Finance. IPS probably has a request in for recruits and are doing all the leg work medicals PCT etc in the hope that Finance will give the go ahead. Then it will be a rush to get them in but no fault of the IPS as such. When I say everything has to go through finance it does include anything that will have a knock on financial effect, so promotions have to be first approved by finance even the mess closing at the weekends Finance etc etc you name it.

When it comes to recruitment no one especially the people in beladd are going to give you any hints mainly because they probably dont know yet and secondly they wont be 100% sure until there are 20,40 or 80 recruits standing in front of them. There just being super careful in giving any false hope.

Others might have a cousin or a niece who got called for a medical and before you know it word gets out that the Prison Service is recruiting a 10,000 staff and boards.ie suffers a meltdown because of all the hits Jail rumors can be lethal.

Until there's BOOTS ON THE GROUND don't believe a thing, or in the case of those waiting a letter from longford a letter stating REPORT FOR DUTY

Jailer wrote: »
    Spot on !!

(Thinks) Things appear madder than usual because everything has to be put through the Dept of Finance. IPS probably has a request in for recruits and are doing all the leg work medicals PCT etc in the hope that Finance will give the go ahead. Then it will be a rush to get them in but no fault of the IPS as such. When I say everything has to go through finance it does include anything that will have a knock on financial effect, so promotions have to be first approved by finance even the mess closing at the weekends Finance etc etc you name it.

When it comes to recruitment no one especially the people in beladd are going to give you any hints mainly because they probably dont know yet and secondly they wont be 100% sure until there are 20,40 or 80 recruits standing in front of them. There just being super careful in giving any false hope.

Others might have a cousin or a niece who got called for a medical and before you know it word gets out that the Prison Service is recruiting a 10,000 staff and boards.ie suffers a meltdown because of all the hits Jail rumors can be lethal.

Until there's BOOTS ON THE GROUND don't believe a thing, or in the case of those waiting a letter from longford a letter stating REPORT FOR DUTY

so basically what you're saying is they are taking on 80 people in the next few weeks? brilliant. thanks for the info.

rogieop wrote: »
    so basically what you're saying is they are taking on 80 people in the next few weeks? brilliant. thanks for the info.

Ha Ha, You must be a jail pup with a comment like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 somehope11

Spot on !!

One of the best posts on this thread so far.

somehope11 wrote: »

Thanks

somehope11 wrote: »

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

does anyone know if bad colour vision would rule out a potential candidate for prison officer , waiting for interview at the minute but dont wanna get hopes up if this will disqualify me, just found this thread today , done aptitude test in oct 2008 and from what i believe that panel is still in use ,

You will have to get an independent eye exam before you start.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    does anyone know if bad colour vision would rule out a potential candidate for prison officer , waiting for interview at the minute but dont wanna get hopes up if this will disqualify me, just found this thread today , done aptitude test in oct 2008 and from what i believe that panel is still in use ,

You MAY be required to get an independent eye test. This would only be decided upon after you did your medical AND only if it showed up on the medical ie. If you happened to fail that particular part of the test., or if it fell outside predefined parameters. Prior to being sent for an independent exam if anything came up you would more than likely be sent to the CMO first. Chief medical officer. I'm unsure if it would form part of the medical it may indeed then again unless I had access to the form the doctor is using I can't be sure.

I'm not the CMO so Therefore I can't tell you that you WILL have to get an independent eyesight report done. It's just too simplistic of an answer.

I'd let the medical take it's course, that's what it's there for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

It depends on what doctor you go to for your medical. Some might give you an eye test and some might not. I didn't have to do one.

to be honest, you'll be doing well to get called at this stage for an interview, interview is the hardest stage aswell, ring a prison nearest to you explain your going for interview and arrange a tour slash brain storm, very good information to be got by doing this, wouldnt worry about the medical yet, tbh, get onto the ips and keep asking about your interview date!!!!!

ring a prison nearest to you explain your going for interview and arrange a tour slash brain storm, very good information to be got by doing this, wouldnt worry about the medical yet, tbh, get onto the ips and keep asking about your interview date!!!!!

Some bad advice here.

A tour of a prison does not make much of a difference to you in an interview, its somewhat irrelavant and mentioning it in interview is not much of an advantage.To get information, ask an officer or go back through the pages on this.

Ring the IPS Once, But don't plague them by ringing frequently. They can only operate when they get the green light from the Dept. of Finance..

to be honest, you'll be doing well to get called at this stage for an interview, interview is the hardest stage aswell, ring a prison nearest to you explain your going for interview and arrange a tour slash brain storm, very good information to be got by doing this, wouldnt worry about the medical yet, tbh, get onto the ips and keep asking about your interview date!!!!!

Some good points here, remember though your not going in for the tour as such but all the info and contacts you may be able to get. Best you can hope for is that the person you meet will pass you off to someone with less than 2 years service because they will be the people who were top of the 2008 panel and will have the info that you need. It's no real point talking to someone 20 years in the job. By all means ring a prison the info you could get could be able to help you answer the questions at the interview stage. Remember staff with less than 2 years service will only be found in the dublin jails.

Some good points here, remember though your not going in for the tour as such but all the info and contacts you may be able to get. Best you can hope for is that the person you meet will pass you off to someone with less than 2 years service because they will be the people who were top of the 2008 panel and will have the info that you need. It's no real point talking to someone 20 years in the job. By all means ring a prison the info you could get could be able to help you answer the questions at the interview stage. Remember staff with less than 2 years service will only be found in the dublin jails.

exactly, what i meant, i didnt go in to see the inside of a prison but to talk to guys who had been through the whole process.

LoanShark wrote: »
    Some bad advice here.

A tour of a prison does not make much of a difference to you in an interview, its somewhat irrelavant and mentioning it in interview is not much of an advantage.To get information, ask an officer or go back through the pages on this.

Ring the IPS Once, But don't plague them by ringing frequently. They can only operate when they get the green light from the Dept. of Finance..

its called preperation, i got to talk to people that were after going through the interviews and got some good info of what to say and what not to say when asked a tricky question, i cant see how ringing ips is such a bad thing either???? if you dont ask you wont get. but each to there own i guess

its called preperation, i got to talk to people that were after going through the interviews and got some good info of what to say and what not to say when asked a tricky question, i cant see how ringing ips is such a bad thing either???? if you dont ask you wont get. but each to there own i guess

Talking to serving officers with less than five years is way more beneficial than taking a tour of the prison.. Because that is more relevant to the interview..

As for ringing the IPS, If can imagine the guy in Longford who 10-20 times a day gets a phone call from people who are looking for info on what is happening in regards to the recruitment campaign, you'd get a pain in your hoop...If you ring once and they say "We dont know!, Call back in a few weeks" ... Then thats it leave it for a few weeks..

There is Great information on this site about the interviews and how you can prepare yourself for it...Just go back through the pages.. You'd nearly get answers to every question you'd ever want to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

wexfjord wrote: »

just read that haven't laughed that hard in years

just got the call today to start on the 24th of this month.

cant believ they give such little notice. obviously one way or another ill be there but im supposed to give one months notice to my current employer so it just leaves people in a bad situation.

The only saving grace was the lady said if there wasnt enough people to fill the class they may push it back a week or two but i really cant see them having any trouble filling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

rogieop wrote: »
    just got the call today to start on the 24th of this month.

cant believ they give such little notice. obviously one way or another ill be there but im supposed to give one months notice to my current employer so it just leaves people in a bad situation.

The only saving grace was the lady said if there wasnt enough people to fill the class they may push it back a week or two but i really cant see them having any trouble filling it.

Got the call too. Contract in the post today. Didn't think it would take almost 3 years but the wait is finally over.

Advertisement