Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein now second most popular party

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    They would if the SDLP weren't so useless.

Ifs buts pots & pans:) BTW Like you knew avatar what happened your usual UVF ones, trying to blend in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

realies wrote: »
    Ifs buts pots & pans:) BTW Like you knew avatar what happened your usual UVF ones, trying to blend in ;)
    Never had one.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Keith got a smart-phone a while back, hence why his sig doesn't show up all the time I bet, same happens to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A mid term spike^ in the polls does not reflect reality, the Shinners obviously have a temporary bounce due to their old iRA friend Marty doing a futile stint as a presidential candidate, but as the dust settles after the election & he goes back up North with his tail between his legs, then the SF spike will begin to fade away to the normal 10% or so . . . . .

:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

There's only one place marty is going to get a job in the Park....and it's not in the Aras....

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    A mid term spike^ in the polls does not reflect reality, the Shinners obviously have a temporary bounce due to their old iRA friend Marty doing a futile stint as a presidential candidate, but as the dust settles after the election & he goes back up North with his tail between his legs, then the SF spike will begin to fade away to the normal 10% or so . . . . .

:))

Hilarious, delusional, and brainwashed? :);)

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Never had one.:confused:

You never had UVF slogans and graffiti as avatars :confused::confused::confused: Must have been ulsterafc on another site :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

And the overwhelming majority of the nationalist/catholic people in the north now support Sinn fein, they don't have a problem with them (yet)And as they were on the front line of the conflict/war/troubles why are the people down here so annoyed...
    Oh, I don't know - murder and torture tends to get peoples' backs up a bit for some reason.
    A lot of SFers never killed anyone, whats your point?
    Some did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

I wonder how the relationship with Britain would be affected should SF find themselves in office after the next election. As unlikely as it is for the moment it would be an interesting one, especially should Britain/England depending on the Scots decision be governed by a conservative government (far more likely in a free England). After all, would the Irish people think of the damage it may do to trading agreement, diplomatic relations etc?

djp barry wrote: »
    This sort of thing is frequently trotted out in defence of McGuinness et al., but it overlooks the obvious fact that the overwhelming majority of people in Northern Ireland who lived through the troubles never tortured or murdered anyone.
    No, but she condones such behaviour.
    djpbarry wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know - murder and torture tends to get peoples' backs up a bit for some reason.
    Some did?

Then why did the majority of the nationalist people in the north of Ireland make SF the biggest nationalist party there, seems as they had to put up with the murder & torture, and the largest party in NI are in goverment with SF ? oh i dont know seems a lot of people here dont know what there talking about.

• Advertisement

I wonder how the relationship with Britain would be affected should SF find themselves in office after the next election. As unlikely as it is for the moment it would be an interesting one, especially should Britain/England depending on the Scots decision be governed by a conservative government (far more likely in a free England). After all, would the Irish people think of the damage it may do to trading agreement, diplomatic relations etc?

If we can welcome there queen over here they can welcome our newly elected president over there and know I don't think it would do any damage to trade or diplomatic relations,Of course on some personnel levels it could be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Some did?

If you have any evidence, consult the Garda and PSNI.

And btw, SF are very pro-immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Its funny the amount of people here who say SF monetary policies would ruin,destroy this country!!
    This country is already wrecked,wrecked by a right wing government who were then replaced by an even more right wing Government who now use the old policies of the old Government to raid the middle,working and unemployed classes to keep their wealthy masters in luxury.
    Irish are very naive and predictable when it comes to voting and politics.A subserviant nation afraid to make any changes to the status quo hence the support for FG.
    FG have done nothing new,nothing.
    They have taken FF policies,changed a few words and released it as their own.Most of the things they promised both before and after the election,they have renaged on.Cutting the amount of boards and commitees for example.Protecting front line services,sorting out the banks,cutting back on wastage in the HSE and public service etc etc.They have done none of the above.
    Its been six months and unemployment continues to grow,people are our biggest export,dole costs have skyrocketed,more quongos now than under FF,HSE is pathetic,less police on the streets,crime is the fastest growing industry,prison service is archaic, corruption is rife in FG,the banks are still costing the taxpayer millions in the form of disgusting salaries and huge bonus payouts!!!!YUP FG are doing great!!!!!
    How could SF be worse than this???
    Somebody said if McGuinness was in power here our relationship with US and UK would suffer????How is this????He is a British (was) a British MP for years,didn't do any harm to NI,they now have peace and business success there.
    Ahhh change is coming and very soon people.The Irish don't like change I know,ye prefer to plod along with the same corrupt suits every time but after a while we get fed up with the corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Then why did the majority of the nationalist people in the north of Ireland make SF the biggest nationalist party there, seems as they had to put up with the murder & torture, and the largest party in NI are in goverment with SF ? oh i dont know seems a lot of people here dont know what there talking about.

You'd have to ask them that. They voted for murderers from both "sides".

It doesn't change the fact that in this state we dislike the thoughts of those types being elected.

This sort of thing is frequently trotted out in defence of McGuinness et al., but it overlooks the obvious fact that the overwhelming majority of people in Northern Ireland who lived through the troubles never tortured or murdered anyone.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    You'd have to ask them that. They voted for murderers from both "sides".

It doesn't change the fact that in this state we dislike the thoughts of those types being elected.

I will let djp barry seems he knows so little about the people he talks about.

As for your second point, Generalising a bit there are we not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Whats YOUR solution Liam?? as a neutral i've been reading posts for ages and apart from constant SF bashing and going completely beserk since MMG entered the presidental race, i fail to see where you're coming from. Reminds me so much of the Unionist attitude in NI, "a problem with everything and a solution for nothing"
    Before you attack me i'm not a member of SF.

washman3 wrote: »
    Whats YOUR solution Liam?? as a neutral i've been reading posts for ages and apart from constant SF bashing and going completely beserk since MMG entered the presidental race, i fail to see where you're coming from. Reminds me so much of the Unionist attitude in NI, "a problem with everything and a solution for nothing"
    Before you attack me i'm not a member of SF.

I'm not in the business of 'attacking' anyone, but I'm also dubious about why you chose to compare me to Unionists of all people.

I also don't "bash"; I call it as I see it, and there is plenty of justification for my views of MMcG & SF, so it's not bashing; I've had similar discussions re voting for FF.

I also don't know what "solution" you're asking about - what's my "solution" to what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm not in the business of 'attacking' anyone, but I'm also dubious about why you chose to compare me to Unionists of all people.

I also don't "bash"; I call it as I see it, and there is plenty of justification for my views of MMcG & SF, so it's not bashing; I've had similar discussions re voting for FF.

I also don't know what "solution" you're asking about - what's my "solution" to what ?

I said your posts REMIND me of Unionist attitudes, highlight problem after problem but offer no solution. SF are now touching 20%. we ask why? its not rocket science, they simply appeal to the people that have been hammered by austeriy imposed by our past and present governments, people that are sick of the waffle and buzzwords designed to protect those that caused the mess.
    SF are preaching what respected ecomomists are saying,not clowns and government puppets like Jim Power.
    I've read your valid posts re voting FF and suggesting that we need a new party to vote for in this country. Personally i have previousely stated that i would have no problem voting for somebody like Pearse Doherty.
    As for the presidental race, which of the 7 do you respect or think deserves your vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You never had UVF slogans and graffiti as avatars :confused::confused::confused: Must have been ulsterafc on another site :confused:
    Not on here. And yeah Wolfe, I did LOL.:pac:

I said your posts REMIND me of Unionist attitudes,

Which is a comparison with them.....no need to put words in capitals.
    SF are now touching 20%. we ask why? its not rocket science, they simply appeal to the people that have been hammered by austeriy imposed by our past and present governments, people that are sick of the waffle and buzzwords designed to protect those that caused the mess.

I'm sick of the waffle and lies and disastrous decisions too, y'know, and finding it hard to make ends meet just like most normal decent people. That still wouldn't make me vote SF as they don't represent anything acceptable to me, and have even more double-standards than the other parties, ones that are more serious and objectionable - to me anyway.

SF are simply getting somewhere based on a protest vote and disillusionment with everyone else; understandable, but for many it's the equivalent of going to the moneylender when the banks have refused you - ill-thought through desperation.
    I've read your valid posts re voting FF and suggesting that we need a new party to vote for in this country. Personally i have previousely stated that i would have no problem voting for somebody like Pearse Doherty.

Which we do. One that represents all decent people of this state, hasn't aligned itself with corruption, violence or vested interests, and one that treats all citizens of this state equally......do you seriously think that one that can't bring itself to name the state, has condoned the murder of some citizens they disagreed with, and slanders opposing views as "West Brit" fits that bill? I certainly don't!
    As for the presidental race, which of the 7 do you respect or think deserves your vote?

None that fully deserves the presidency, but Michael D Higgins is the closest fit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tweedledee wrote: »
    How could SF be worse than this???

SF have been toeing the line with cuts in the north while objecting to everything in the south. So you are right, they wouldn't be worse, simply the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

People want political reform and when the centre fails to deliver, people look further away.

No surprise here. Been saying it since the election pretty much. It is just lucky Ireland doesn't have more extreme parties TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

So Sinn Fein are now as popular as Fianna Fail. Just shows how massively unpopular they were before.

Then why did the majority of the nationalist people in the north of Ireland make SF the biggest nationalist party there...
    I don’t really care - Northern Irish politics is about 100 years behind the rest of Europe.
    gurramok wrote: »
    If you have any evidence, consult the Garda and PSNI.
    Evidence of what? Sinn Féin’s staunch refusal to condone violence when it suits them?
    gurramok wrote: »
    And btw, SF are very pro-immigration.
    Ok?

I don’t really care - Northern Irish politics is about 100 years behind the rest of Europe.
    Evidence of what? Sinn Féin’s staunch refusal to condone violence when it suits them?
    Ok?

Whether you care or not wasn't the point its what you stated above in the context of this thread that is incorrect. You can read back over it yourself as i couldent be bothered.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Really thats the UK's problem, not ours. If the UK can't respect the democratic will of the Irish people, then that says more about them than it does about us.

I also don't see how its unlikely Martin McGuinness will get elected considering he's running consistently in the top 3 in the polls.

Whether you care or not wasn't the point its what you stated above in the context of this thread that is incorrect.
    What have I said that was incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Originally Posted by LondonIrish90

Let us hope that such a state of affairs never comes to pass. Voting that lot in would be like self inflicting a nasty wound that is only going to cause much suffering over time. The electorate want a future not a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Couldnt be happier. Well the complete destruction of Fianna Fail would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Turbine wrote: »
    Sinn Féin's first preference vote in this year's election was unchanged from the 2007 election (10%), and yet they nearly quadrupled their seat count, and came within a hundred or so votes in some constituencies of winning more seats, and did so because of transfers.

And in this MRBI poll, they found that 70% of people who voted Sinn Féin in the last election will also vote for Martin McGuinness in this election, so that in itself shows that SF are no longer transfer toxic.

There first preference vote in 2007 was 6.6%, in 2011 it was 9.9% so it was certainly not unchanged. They had a 80,000 increase in first preference votes.

Advertisement