Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein now second most popular party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

djpbarry wrote: »
    Unless they’re saying sorry for the crimes that they, or their members, have been involved with in the past, then I will never listen to anything they have to say. Ever.

Then you'll probably never listen or vote for anyone ever again considering this countrys history. Meanwhile, the rest of us will move ahead.

sarumite wrote: »
    Tell that to SF, who were still talking about senior bondholders less than a month ago.

Considering your over reliance on crass assumptions in your first reply, I am not surprised by this.

I wouldnt mind some kind of substance in your replies, rather than whatever insinuations you are making (I cant be arsed working out just *what* you're saying tbh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

maccored wrote: »
    Then you'll probably never listen or vote for anyone ever again considering this countrys history. Meanwhile, the rest of us will move ahead.

So you're all on for ignoring a party's track record when deciding to vote ?

I take it you'll be giving FF a vote, then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Biggins wrote: »
    Sinn Fein is said now to be the second choice of the people in Ireland according to the Irish Times this morning

Well my conscience is clear.
    I have never voted for any of them before and never will vote them in the future.
    I don't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

My conscience is clear and i have voted for them. I will continue to vote for them unless they go the labour route and abandon policys for power or some other major shift in thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

how so?

Will they hang on to such popularity is the question, but to say its a 'terrifying prospect' is a bit rash. they'd do a better job in government than the current and last shower.

A retarded monkey could have done better than the last lot but according to their policies there's not much chance of them doing better than the current lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

There are people with no consciences ie SF, so a clear conscience with SF is an impossibility.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So you're all on for ignoring a party's track record when deciding to vote ?

I take it you'll be giving FF a vote, then ?

Read the post I was responding to Liam. He was on about crime. SF dont make a habit of committing crimes, but yet the political system in ireland is plagued with such things. Really man, it gets tiresome having to explain everything to you.

meglome wrote: »
    A retarded monkey could have done better than the last lot but according to their policies there's not much chance of them doing better than the current lot.

I wonder at the voters in this country. They hate SF, obviously dont like FF, FG or labour and so I wonder just who the hell they've been voting for?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    There are people with no consciences ie SF, so a clear conscience with SF is an impossibility.

I vote SF and Ive a clear conscience. As I reckon have many others. It think you forgot the 'imo' there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    haha thats not something thats exclusive to sinn fein.

I wonder at the voters in this country. They hate SF, obviously dont like FF, FG or labour and so I wonder just who the hell they've been voting for?

FG & Labour have only recently failed us, so that's a change in circumstance.

I genuinely don't know who I'll be voting for in the next election.

Read the post I was responding to Liam. He was on about crime. SF dont make a habit of committing crimes, but yet the political system in ireland is plagued with such things.

And yet their high-ranking TDs collect members who commit the most serious crimes from prison ? A bit of over-stated denial going on there, don't you think ?

I will agree that there are crimes - and a general lack of ethics - across the whole spectrum of politics in this country, but the majority of them at least don't involve murder and bank robberies (in fact, the worst aside from SF involves giving money TO the banks :D )

the fact that the same old same old is trotted out every time really shows the desperation imo.

Martin Ferris obviously isnt ashamed of the IRA and accepts that bad things happen - ask him why he collected them as no-one round here can give you an answer for that. SF dont murder and havent robbed banks either - unless you have differing info. In that case report it to the gards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Then you'll probably never listen or vote for anyone ever again considering this countrys history.
    We’re not talking about Ireland’s history, we’re talking about the history of current Sinn Féin members. Members of Fianna Fáil or Fianna Gael apologising for events that occurred long before they were born would be slightly ridiculous. Members of Sinn Fein apologising for events in which they were directly or indirectly involved on the other hand would be major progress.
    SF dont make a habit of committing crimes...
    Maybe not any more they don’t, but past criminal activities are pretty relevant to me when I go to the polling station. If a candidate has been allegedly involved in, say, tax evasion, they better have a pretty damn good explanation if they want my vote. If a candidate is known to have been a leading figure in a terrorist organisation that repeatedly committed atrocities. ... well, you see where I’m going with this.
    I left the country so I don’t have to make that choice.

If a candidate is known to have been a leading figure in a terrorist organisation that repeatedly committed atrocities. ... well, you see where I’m going with this.

Oh i know where you're going alright, but it's a bit pointless going there. If only these things were as simplistic as you seem to believe they are. there was a war on - like it or not - and **** happens in wars. thats always been the case the world over. if you want to over simplify the whole thing and use it as a reason not to vote for a party with more ethics than the rest of them put together, thats your own problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wrong thread. If you didnt understand them the first time round you certainly wont now.

Of course I won't understand it now. It's not possible to undestand something that makes no sense.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    FG & Labour have only recently failed us.....

All that proves Liam is that you arent very good in choosing trustworthy political parties to vote for (asssuming they would have been your choice). Makes me feel all the more confident in SF, since you totally disagree with them.

Of course I won't understand it now.

Then it makes no sense to keep going on about it.

the fact that the same old same old is trotted out every time really shows the desperation imo.
    This is a thread on the popularity of Sinn Féin in Ireland. Explanations as to why this popularity is confined to a very specific demographic are being proffered. The fact of the matter is that a very large number of people in Ireland are very uncomfortable with the idea of Sinn Féin representing them in any capacity, given the recent history of its senior members and this is why SF will never be in power while those individuals remain at the helm.
    SF dont murder...
    What about members of SF? Let’s take McGuinness, for example – you’re trying to tell us that he has no blood on his hands? Frankly, I don’t know how the guy sleeps at night – the thought of him representing the country is utterly repugnant.

• Advertisement

Then it makes no sense to keep going on about it.

I think it's very important to highlight the financial incompetence of the "second most popular" political party who have desires to be in government.

I think it's very important to highlight the financial incompetence of the "second most popular" political party who have desires to be in government.

not when the poster totally misrepresents what they were proposing. maybe the both of you should start a thread on it on something

This is a thread on the popularity of Sinn Féin in Ireland. Explanations as to why this popularity is confined to a very specific demographic are being proffered. The fact of the matter is that a very large number of people in Ireland are very uncomfortable with the idea of Sinn Féin representing them in any capacity, given the recent history of its senior members and this is why SF will never be in power while those individuals remain at the helm.
    What about members of SF? Let’s take McGuinness, for example – you’re trying to tell us that he has no blood on his hands? Frankly, I don’t know how the guy sleeps at night – the thought of him representing the country is utterly repugnant.

SF might well be in power after the next election .... its looking increasingly likely. all the whinging in the world wont help. Personally I dont really have any interest in the argument you are putting forward as its meaningless.

there was a war on...
    I don’t agree with that description of events, but let’s run with it.

Suppose you lived in the UK. Suppose a retired British soldier, who was directly responsible for the death of an innocent civilian in Northern Ireland, was running for election in your constituency.

Would you even consider voting for him/her?

not when the poster totally misrepresents what they were proposing. maybe the both of you should start a thread on it on something

No need, this thread is about Sinn Fein.

Personally I dont really have any interest in the argument you are putting forward as its meaningless.
    To you, maybe. To the rest of us, what McGuinness and co. have done in the past matters. It matters a whole lot. Sinn Féin and their supporters don’t seem to understand this, which is why they will never be able to connect with the majority of people in Ireland.

I don’t agree with that description of events, but let’s run with it.

Suppose you lived in the UK. Suppose a retired British soldier, who was directly responsible for the death of an innocent civilian in Northern Ireland, was running for election in your constituency.

Would you even consider voting for him/her?

It would depend on what he was standing for. If he represented me as a voter, then I could easily vote for an ex brit, even though I had enough hassle at the hands of them growing up. I dont live in the past, i live for the future.

No need, this thread is about Sinn Fein.

You work away - but dont expect me to derail this thread by talking about burning bond holders.

To you, maybe. To the rest of us, what McGuinness and co. have done in the past matters. It matters a whole lot. Sinn Féin and their supporters don’t seem to understand this, which is why they will never be able to connect with the majority of people in Ireland.

Then you'll get nowhere fast. If you are a democrat then you'll have to apply that thinking to everyone - every politician you have to make a decision of when considering worldwide views - every army, every PM, President .... good luck with that.

• Advertisement

It would depend on what he was standing for.
    My arse it would - you and the rest of Sinn Fein would be demanding (quite rightly) that the individual in question be brought to justice for what they had done.

Advertisement