Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein now second most popular party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

maccored wrote: »
    Then you'll get nowhere fast. If you are a democrat then you'll have to apply that thinking to everyone...
    I do. But when it comes to deliberating over election candidates, I tend to eliminate those who were involved in torture and murder first, then work my way through the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

djpbarry wrote: »
    My arse it would - you and the rest of Sinn Fein would be demanding (quite rightly) that the individual in question be brought to justice for what they had done.

If that was the case then SF would be demanding most of the BA be brought to justice. I answer your question, it doesnt suit and you say "My arse it would ..." .. at least I know the caliber of person Im dealing with.

I do. But when it comes to deliberating over election candidates, I tend to eliminate those who were involved in torture and murder first, then work my way through the rest.

Good you werent about when Dev and co went for election then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You work away - but dont expect me to derail this thread by talking about burning bond holders.

I didn't, that's why I asked you about the deficit. I know Sinn Fein supporters will dodge the question like they have always done because of the made up numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

All that proves Liam is that you arent very good in choosing trustworthy political parties to vote for (asssuming they would have been your choice). Makes me feel all the more confident in SF, since you totally disagree with them.

Wow! I didn't realise that I was so influential.

As for "trustworthy" referring to Sinn Fein, well, let's just say that their name is very appropriate....anything they do is for them and themselves alone, and they have no interest in any views which might not fit in, preferring to write any criticisms off using double-standards and cheap pathetic slurs such as "West Brit" and pretending that our state is only "26 counties".

That said, it does reflect an improvement from them - once upon a time not so long ago they would have been using more than verbal ammunition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One person commented on journal.ie, the following:
    It should be pointed out that Sinn Fein would not become the second largest party in the Dail on these numbers. They’re still very transfer repellant. You either given them your number 1 or you give them nothing.

FG 71
    Lab 31
    SF 26
    FF 19
    Ind 19

However they would at least become the leaders of the opposition. The first time that the position will have been held by anyone but FF or FG! :O

I don't know myself as to the accuracy of the figures quoted above (I'll leave that to better people at maths!) but if Mr Adams and co ever get to be the leaders of the opposition, Fianna Fail for sure will be further doomed to history.
    What a day that will be!

If that was the case then SF would be demanding most of the BA be brought to justice.
    But they are? Bloody Sunday? Ballymurphy? Dublin and Monaghan bombings? Are Sinn Féin not, are have they not been, actively involved in campaigning for investigations to be carried out into such events?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

As you should be aware if you are commenting on such issues - the parties in the north have no control at all over finance. that is ruled from London. All parties though are working to getting those powers moved to Belfast.

Yet you complain about FG making cuts when they have no/very little control over the cuts they must make because we are under the control of the IMF/ECB and EU.

I didn't, that's why I asked you about the deficit. I know Sinn Fein supporters will dodge the question like they have always done because of the made up numbers.

Not much point discussing it with you when you dont seem to understand what they wanted to do. Personally I dont give a fig if you believe i am 'dodging' your question. the reality is that its just a waste of my time.

barrmur wrote: »
    Yet you complain about FG making cuts when they have no/very little control over the cuts they must make because we are under the control of the IMF/ECB and EU.

Care to point out when Ive made any comment on FG making cuts? Plus they had the chance to stand up and be counted. The parties in the north are currently having tough arguments with westminister about transferring powers. FG didnt do that. Really - its a pain in the arse having these debates when people havent a ****ing clue about what they're on about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not much point discussing it with you when you dont seem to understand what they wanted to do. Personally I dont give a fig if you believe i am 'dodging' your question. the reality is that its just a waste of my time.

I'd consider it a waste of my time trying to make up stuff aswell tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I wouldnt mind some kind of substance in your replies, rather than whatever insinuations you are making (I cant be arsed working out just *what* you're saying tbh).

Its funny that you ask for 'substance' yet in your reply (post #26) you offer very little yourself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I don’t agree with that description of events, but let’s run with it.

Suppose you lived in the UK. Suppose a retired British soldier, who was directly responsible for the death of an innocent civilian in Northern Ireland, was running for election in your constituency.

Would you even consider voting for him/her?

I don't think you will ever get an answer to that. The Shinners do not see things like ordinary folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 casio01

I do have to laugh at all the blue shirts in ireland and the same old uppty attitude towards sinn fein I grew up on the border counties of louth armagh and I find it offensive for people to be on the gravy train of sinn fein this that and the other . If you don't come from this area you haven't a clue what it was like to see family members bereated and basically treated like animals by the british army its very easy to pass judgement from afar. As one of the comments said there was a war on and people do what they have to do to survive and get on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

How about in 5 / 10 years? when mcguinness and adams have gone back up north or retired from politics, Mary Lou McDonnald never shot anyone or robbed any banks or kneecapped a smack dealer.

How many more years must Sinn Fein remain committed to the peace process, for you to accept and consider a vote for them? I suspect never. Because IMO Irish people with a centre right leaning political opinion have adopted the arguments of Ulster Unionism instead of arguing in favour of unpopular austerity policies being implemented by FG and Lab government.

People Before profit and the independent coalition? a new left wing, libertarian party without the ghosts of Sinn Feins past? sound appealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Spacedog wrote: »

How many more years must Sinn Fein remain committed to the peace process, for you to accept and consider a vote for them? I suspect never.

You make it sound like its temporary or at least so long as SF get what they want? Is there a price then for SF to keep the peace?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

a new left wing, libertarian party...
    A what now?

casio01 wrote: »
    If you don't come from this area you haven't a clue what it was like to see family members bereated and basically treated like animals by the british army its very easy to pass judgement from afar.
    This sort of thing is frequently trotted out in defence of McGuinness et al., but it overlooks the obvious fact that the overwhelming majority of people in Northern Ireland who lived through the troubles never tortured or murdered anyone.
    Mary Lou McDonnald never shot anyone or robbed any banks or kneecapped a smack dealer.
    No, but she condones such behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

djp barry wrote: »
    This sort of thing is frequently trotted out in defence of McGuinness et al., but it overlooks the obvious fact that the overwhelming majority of people in Northern Ireland who lived through the troubles never tortured or murdered anyone.
    No, but she condones such behaviour.

And the overwhelming majority of the nationalist/catholic people in the north now support Sinn fein, they don't have a problem with them (yet)And as they were on the front line of the conflict/war/troubles why are the people down here so annoyed,To me (sf) are just doing what the official Ira did in the 70,s and the main Irish political parties did before them,With the country going down the tubes and the same people getting cut in income its only obvisious that SF will increase there support,Imo people here want to get used to it as they there going to be around for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Again, more populist talk. SF never done any of those things. The IRA, the BA and various other factions may have, but not the political party known as SF. The words 'bacon' and 'education' spring to mind once more.

"marxist ideology" - hahahaha

True plus the same people complaining about SF never batted an eyelid when poor children were being abused by the very people FF put on a pedestal here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I actually think it would be a good thing if SF got bigger in the Republic Of Ireland. That way the Irish people will see just how much nonsense they actually talk and they will fall apart after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

A lot of SFers never killed anyone, whats your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I actually think it would be a good thing if SF got bigger in the Republic Of Ireland. That way the Irish people will see just how much nonsense they actually talk and they will fall apart after that.

;) Ya just like they are in the six counties eh keith ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

realies wrote: »
    ;) Ya just like they are in the six counties eh keith ;)
    They would if the SDLP weren't so useless.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

mike65 wrote: »
    Subject to 3% +/- error rate so Sinn Fein could be on 15 and Labour on 20.

Equally Sinn Féin could be on 21% and Labour on 14%, whats your point?
    Lockstep wrote: »
    My thoughts:

Sinn Féin must be happy but their votes are usually concentrated in certain areas and are skewed towards male voters. They are also not transfer friendly. While they are likely to do well, it's unlikely that they'll become the second largest party.

Sinn Féin's first preference vote in this year's election was unchanged from the 2007 election (10%), and yet they nearly quadrupled their seat count, and came within a hundred or so votes in some constituencies of winning more seats, and did so because of transfers.

And in this MRBI poll, they found that 70% of people who voted Sinn Féin in the last election will also vote for Martin McGuinness in this election, so that in itself shows that SF are no longer transfer toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Anyway with the amount of annoyence with and slandering crap by Fine gael and the lack of credability in the fianna fail dragon its easy to see why sinn fein will come out on top..

If I was being slandered repeatedly I'd sue.........I wonder why Martin doesn't???? maybe because he'd be laughed out of court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Turbine wrote: »
    Equally Sinn Féin could be on 21% and Labour on 14%, whats your point?

Just the same as yours is!, it could be one way or the other at the extremes.
    Turbine wrote: »
    Sinn Féin's first preference vote in this year's election was unchanged from the 2007 election (10%), and yet they nearly quadrupled their seat count, and came within a hundred or so votes in some constituencies of winning more seats, and did so because of transfers.

And in this MRBI poll, they found that 70% of people who voted Sinn Féin in the last election will also vote for Martin McGuinness in this election, so that in itself shows that SF are no longer transfer toxic.

So only 70% of Shinner voters will vote for McGuinness? Doesn't sound too clever bearing in mind a few others will vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

How about in 5 / 10 years? when mcguinness and adams have gone back up north or retired from politics

Well since certain people insist on comparing and contrasting with the old 1916 IRA, treating like with like by applying the same timeline and the length of time between condoning killing innocent people and being acceptable would make SF acceptable by about 2105.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well since certain people insist on comparing and contrasting with the old 1916 IRA, treating like with like by applying the same timeline and the length of time between condoning killing innocent people and being acceptable would make SF acceptable by about 2105.
    I dont see how that makes any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    are you saying that the 1916 rising was only seen as acceptable recently? i beg to differ

Advertisement