Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

DjFlin wrote: »
    What catch up? LG apps are utter rubbish.

I have to disagree, My Optimus 7 has been a dream since I got it, even as a Dev Unit it has been a trooper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    I have to disagree, My Optimus 7 has been a dream since I got it, even as a Dev Unit it has been a trooper!

The Optimus is great, yes. But the LG app store sucks major ass. The only worthwhile app in it was the DLNA. Not to mention the lack of any updates in over 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Mango to start rolling out in the next 1-2 weeks. Tweeted by Brandon Watson from Microsoft Dev team http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/09/21/where-s-mango-an-update-on-timing.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mango to start rolling out in the next 1-2 weeks. Tweeted by Brandon Watson from Microsoft Dev team http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/09/21/where-s-mango-an-update-on-timing.aspx

Hurray, im looking forward to it. I never bothered installing the RTM when it came out. Partially out of laziness, and partially because WP7 was pretty darn good as it was!

I've started using my LG Optimus 7 for a lot more emailing and business/college related stuff, and the email/office integration is really fantastic. It made me love the device even more!

Hurray, im looking forward to it. I never bothered installing the RTM when it came out. Partially out of laziness, and partially because WP7 was pretty darn good as it was!

I've started using my LG Optimus 7 for a lot more emailing and business/college related stuff, and the email/office integration is really fantastic. It made me love the device even more!

Calendar, email and xbox live and zune for me :)

I'm writting this of my galaxy s2, but always get a feel of joy coming back to wp7. Tbh if wp7 had a hotspots feature now I'd forget about the s2 :) only reason I really use it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Edit. It doesn't seem to work on my Omnia :(

Didn't work for me either, just dumps straight back to the OS with no errors.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Edit. It doesn't seem to work on my Omnia :(

Didn't work for me either, just dumps straight back to the OS with no errors.

It says to me that AllShare is not supported on this device and then quits. :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

It says to me that AllShare is not supported on this device and then quits. :'(

The ShareTo app for my LG Optimus 7 says that it needs the latest version of Windows Phone 7 before it closes.

Co-incidence? Probably...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

Just found this very good Application for checking in for Aer Lingus flights

http://windowsphone.com/s?AppID=614e341f-9ca8-e011-a53c-78e7d1fa76f8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

simi956 wrote: »
    Just found this very good Application for checking in for Aer Lingus flights

http://windowsphone.com/s?AppID=614e341f-9ca8-e011-a53c-78e7d1fa76f8

Very good? Did a 10 year old code that app? :eek: Android version just sucks as badly :mad:

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Very good? Did a 10 year old code that app? :eek: Android version just sucks as badly :mad:

Yeah its shockingly bad. Installed it and removed it 4 minutes later.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056369938

Guys add your Xbox Live WP7 gamertag here :)

Need more friends with WP7 :)

Its alot more fun to play games on WP7 when you have lots of friends to compete on high scores ;D

My GamerTag EvolutionQY71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Got a weird problem on my LG optimus, I can browse web sites on Vodafone live except for boards.ie. This only started about two days ago. It works fine on WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

cuppa wrote: »
    Got a weird problem on my LG optimus, I can browse web sites on Vodafone live except for boards.ie. This only started about two days ago. It works fine on WiFi.

I have the same problem on my samsung wave, only started a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

wilser wrote: »
    I have the same problem on my samsung wave, only started a few days ago.

Me too... 502 Badgateway....

What are Vodafone at now.

Me to folks. VF are up to their usual wackyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

its working for me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

So I use the wireless sync most nights. I run zune on the PC before i go to bed and it downloads the latest edition of my podcasts. I set the alarm on the phone and plug it into the charger. After about ten minutes it starts to sync. The only time this fails is when the battery is very low in the phone. The sync fails and even the alarm doesn't go off in the morning until I unplug it from the charger - then it goes off immediately.

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=6786a592-4b51-455b-8913-8986301a2108

One 2 One

Found a nice free app that does a very good job at translating :)

Have a look at it. Just tried one language there and it seems to do it pretty well :)

Handy if your going traveling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Well it's been almost a year since I got my HTC HD7 and got started with Windows Phone 7.

For others that jumped onboard right at the beginning, what are your thoughts? Are you happy with the platform and how it has evolved?

Personally I found WP7 to be practically feature complete from the start (ie it did 90% of what I really need from a smartphone, and it did it really well, but it completely ignored about 10% of the niche / minor features that I do ocassionally need).

However over the last year we now have a fully-fledged Navigation app, so that's one of my key demands met. Multitasking is now a reality with Mango, although I've gotten by pretty well before without it so I'm not sure how much of an impact it will have.

The marketplace is now remarkably mature, with a great selection of well-designed apps from the key players in this space. The Metro design ethic has led to a wide variety of apps that are instantly recognisable and fit together excellently. Non-metro apps (such as that appalling Aer Lingus thing) stick out like a sore thumb and highlight how Metro is the way to go. Copying Apple or Android is actually a terrible idea in this respect.

Most importantly: Reliability, ease of use and security have been unparalleled with WP7. Over the last year, can anybody think of a single security issue? This is a secure platform that works out of the box and can be depended upon. Will this change as the platform becomes more complex? With Android now looking more and more dodgy every day (malware, premium number diallers, backdoors etc) will this drive numbers away from Android to WP7 (and / or back to Apple I suppose)?

And we now have the next generation of handsets coming out; some so-so units from HTC, but a fine new Samsung, a brand new selection of manufacturers (ZTE, Acer etc) and of course the holy grail of Nokia. I'm still very happy with my existing HD7, especially since it's getting Mango as a free upgrade, so what are everyone's thoughts on upgrading their handset? Will these new models encourage more people to buy in to WP7 do you think? Are O2 / Vodafone/ Meteor / eMobile / Three etc really committed to WP7 in this country

I just want to get some more discussion out there on WP7.5 and what is certainly the next major milestone in the WP7 journey, the make-or-break next version ;-)

This is my first smartphone but I've been damn happy with my Windows Phone. It did feel a bit underbaked when it first came out, but Mango's going to correct that wonderfully. It feels more cohesive and much more like a whole unit than a bunch of parts.

My phone - an LG Optimus 7 - is already very fast and been very reliable too, so I think my next smartphone will be a Windows Phone 8.

Pinning tiles to the Start screen is a great feature, and it's because I found myself using it for something that I didn't forsee: I'm in the habit now of pinning important documents or things to the Start screen instead of my most-used apps. For example, if I'm going somewhere new I'd usually find the location in Maps and pin it to the Start screen. I sometimes have a shopping list pinned there too. Or a contact I might be meeting soon. They're little bits of information that I need for a specific short-term purpose, which is really really handy. SecondaryTiles in Mango is going to expand on it in a great way if we can pin things like, I dunno, train journeys to the Start screen...

With regards to the Metro UI and apps, I think that the Rugby World Cup app is a prime example of what a Windows Phone 7 app should look and feel like. The Aer Lingus app is a great example of how NOT to do it: a back button (on a phone platform that has a hardware back button as standard), large buttons at the bottom instead of an application bar; in fact no Metro style at all. This is a Windows Phone after all.

I'd also like to wax lyrical on the .NET Framework and Silverlight and MSDN - my God, but development for it is smashing (though the ScheduledActionService and IsolatedStorage often give me some problems :D ). I'm having fun with the new APIs too. :)

It's a contender now, through and through. If the new phones give it a bit more exposure it'll give iOS and Android a run for their money. It's like what Ars Technica said in their initial review: "Microsoft doesn't often get version one releases right, but this time, it has got the release very right indeed. Windows Phone 7 looks great, works well, and is a treat to use. Market success isn't assured, but judged on its merits alone, this is a platform that absolutely deserves to succeed, and I really, really hope it does."

Well i started of with HD2 windows mobile. eventually put android on it once the Rom chef moved to wp7.

then once the hd2 got a port of wp7 i couldn't go back to android, everytime i did it felt boring.

So i moved to the hd7. Was a nice phone but i found the battery life horrible.

After moving to the Omnia 7 I was pretty happy. As above I had a few missing features, but they got sorted out with mango.

The only things I'm still waiting on is wifi and usb tethering, for ms to update bing maps cause irish roads database is quite out of date I think (my housing estate still doesn't exist, but that can be solve via third party app.
    As well as waiting for full zune marketplace.

After that just give me more high quality games and ill be very happy.

Id definitely wouldn't go back to android.

Maybe have a trip to apple route but that depends on what iphone 5 will be.

I still have a galaxy s2, but I wouldn't trade it for my omnia :)

Generally wp7 I sell in the shop get positive feedback. Only a few come back usually only with corrupted software. But you will get that on any OS.

Now on Mango. I'm in love with Facebook integration. Multi tasking and voice to text feature. Particularly when I'm driving. Dictating a text is a killer feature.

Galaxy s2 has it as well. But it doesn't do it as good as wp7. Keyboard is also excellent. Had to buy a third party keyboard for the s2 cause I kept misspelling everything.
    I'm total its a great consumer product :)

for ms to update bing maps cause irish roads database is quite out of date I think (my housing estate still doesn't exist, but that can be solve via third party app.

I noticed recently that Maps show places in Maynooth as, well, Maynooth instead of Naas like they used to. It's not much, but definitely a step in the right direction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I would defiantly not go down the android route again either. Fragmentation is horrible. I had a HTC tattoo (which was a expensive phone when it was first released) and due to the small resolution most applications on the android marketplace did not work correctly :mad:

With windows phone 7 you are pretty much guaranteed that all applications on the marketplace will function properly due to the hardware requirements set out by Microsoft.

Seems as Windows Phone Web Marketplace is going live. WPcentral said there were still some errors. But its obviously still testing waters :)

Follow the Link :)

Definitely a few bugs. But it looks quite good as it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ChairmanCow

Is there a new wave of phones just around the corner? I was thinking of an picking up an Omnia 7 this week but not sure if I should wait and see what new handsets come out now. Its just that 8gb storage that holding me back!

I take it the Mango update will be a free update for the current phones?

Is there a new wave of phones just around the corner? I was thinking of an picking up an Omnia 7 this week but not sure if I should wait and see what new handsets come out now. Its just that 8gb storage that holding me back!

I take it the Mango update will be a free update for the current phones?

Mango is free for everyone.

Look up the Samsung Omnia W. It should be out soon,and has better specs than the Omnia 7. Its also supposed to be quite affordable compared to others. €310 before tax is what I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

OMG! When is LG sending out Mango?

:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:eek::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭billgates

Looks like Mango is getting ready to rock and roll today!

http://mango.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-gb/howto/wp7/new-features.aspx

On another note, has anyone received any of the pre Mango updates for people running the developer Beta yet? Thats the so called “Mango Friends and Family Bundle: Pre-Cleanup” one?

They've also updated the Where's my phone update? page. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I would say unlocked / unbranded owners will have Mango before the end of the week? Everyone else here (except Samsung) in a fortnight?

HTC updated the Flashlight app this morning for my HD7 by the way. Prepping for a change in Mango perhaps?

On another note, any thoughts on whether O2 Ireland will allow the Wifi Hotspot feature on the new devices / updated old devices? Are they ok with this feature on Android / iPhone?

New HTC WP7 phones will have Wifi hotspot / tethering available if the carrier allows it, whilst older phones (eg HTC HD7) will also get this feature at a later date, again only if the carrier allows it. Fingers crossed.

I would say unlocked / unbranded owners will have Mango before the end of the week? Everyone else here (except Samsung) in a fortnight?

HTC updated the Flashlight app this morning for my HD7 by the way. Prepping for a change in Mango perhaps?

On another note, any thoughts on whether O2 Ireland will allow the Wifi Hotspot feature on the new devices / updated old devices? Are they ok with this feature on Android / iPhone?

New HTC WP7 phones will have Wifi hotspot / tethering available if the carrier allows it, whilst older phones (eg HTC HD7) will also get this feature at a later date, again only if the carrier allows it. Fingers crossed.

I think they will have it. O2 has a tethering plan so if they remove this feature their losing out the potential of making money. Meteor has never had any problems with tethering even through their T&C's say its forbidden.

Not sure about vodafone. Three will definetly get it. Dont think they care about who uses it or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Is the LG Optimus 7 that lots of us here bought unbranded or vodafone? As in the settings it has "vodafone" written beside carrier I think, but others say the phone is unbranded.

Mango is being pushed worldwide :) Brillant everyone gets it in one go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Is the LG Optimus 7 that lots of us here bought unbranded or vodafone? As in the settings it has "vodafone" written beside carrier I think, but others say the phone is unbranded.

It's still Vodafone branded, to unbrand it you need to flash it with the Euro Open firmware. Once you've done that it will show OPN in settings under carrier.

Anyone who has unbranded there LG Optimus will get the Mango update today! :)

EDIT:
    Here's a link to all LG Optimus 7 fireware's http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935578

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

updating my lg optimus now!!:D

simi956 wrote: »
    Mango is being pushed worldwide :) Brillant everyone gets it in one go

**** me, I expected a staggered release! :D

• Advertisement

WOW they actually did it. Their releasing the update. All at the same time lol

Well me and the rest of the world didnt expect it lol.

So any one on meteor or three running NoDo received a notification for an update yet? :D

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It's still Vodafone branded, to unbrand it you need to flash it with the Euro Open firmware. Once you've done that it will show OPN in settings under carrier.

Anyone who has unbranded there LG Optimus will get the Mango update today! :)

EDIT:
    Here's a link to all LG Optimus 7 fireware's http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935578

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you should be able to just change an entry in the registry for the update.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005788

I just tried updating and nothing yet....

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you should be able to just change an entry in the registry for the update.
    [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005788#[/URL]
    I just tried updating and nothing yet....

That doesn't work, try it, the only way is to flash the firmware.

WOW they actually did it. Their releasing the update. All at the same time lol

Well me and the rest of the world didnt expect it lol.

So any one on meteor or three running NoDo received a notification for an update yet? :D

I'm on 3 but I was running the RTM Mango before I updated my phone.

I'm on 3 but I was running the RTM Mango before I updated my phone.

Well im on Meteor running engineering build of Mango. Ive no idea weather to roll back or just wait for a Mango ROM to be released :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Updating right now - I had checked about an hour ago and nothing then!!!!
    Happy daze!

• Advertisement

Well im on Meteor running engineering build of Mango. Ive no idea weather to roll back or just wait for a Mango ROM to be released :)

You shouldn't need to roll back, just make sure you're running the latest version of Zune.

You shouldn't need to roll back, just make sure you're running the latest version of Zune.

See im not running beta. Its an engineering ROM from samsung. Not a generic rom. So ive no idea whats cooking :D

@evolutionqy7 If your phone is dev unlocked it should update even with the engineering ROM (So your ROM is 7720.68)

That doesn't work, try it, the only way is to flash the firmware.

Boo-urns!

So if i follow the instructions you kindly provided i take it i'll lose everything???

Boo-urns!

So if i follow the instructions you kindly provided i take it i'll lose everything???

Unfortunatly you will. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement