Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A restoration tale (with pics)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

fergal.b wrote: »
    B&Q they are 10ft x 2ft but I can't remember how much, Don't forget to get these to screw them down.

78225_P?$p$&wid=281&hei=281&op_sharpen=1

Yea Homebase in Sligo have them for €20. The screws you mention above are €5.69 for 10 !!!!:eek: My local BP have 12ft sheets of pvc for €35 but it's thicker and heavier. I've already decided to over engineer because I am exposed to weather extremes here.

I am using
    4x4 uprights on outside, and 4x2 uprights inside (along wall)
    6x2 Rafters
    3x2 runners

So I'm wondering which way to go with the sheets, light & cheap or heavey and expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dnme wrote: »
    ???
    You've lost me

sorry dnme it was just your request to thank the posts and you were saying
    I'll tell ya why, as far as I can tell, just two people read my Day 48 update cos that's all that hit the button. I'm sure more read it but the fact that people don't consider the post worthy of a thanks, makes me feel like I'm "talkling to no one there", or at worst - I worry that people didn't feel the post was worth a mouse click.
    :)

I was going for kind of creepy but in an amusing way. :o

honestly it seemed funny at the time :) I possibly need to get out more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

sheesh wrote: »
    sorry dnme it was just your request to thank the posts and you were saying

:)

I was going for kind of creepy but in an amusing way. :o

honestly it seemed funny at the time :) I possibly need to get out more

Don't worry about it sheesh, it was amusing, no idea why that one went over his head, he must have been very stressed at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Hi DNME,
    6x2 rafters are way over the top and with regard to the wall along the house a length of 3x2 fixed to facia board should do for the "lean" part of the lean to from that out,
    I bought 6` by 2`2" sheets yesterday for €10 inc vat i know thats too short but i belive its priced at 13 for 9`16 for 12`etc.hope this helps ill double check in the am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I know you're building the lean-to and all but I just saw this thread over in BA. It's a 3mx3m gazebo. You most likely have no ned, but would rather you said "no its grand" than "you should have posted"!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056380786

The leanto needs to be robust. Very robust. You have no idea of the storms we get here in the winter (and the summer). The back of my house is overlooking the lake on a hill so it takes the full brunt of anything northerly. Also I have a span of 10ft so 6x2's will never sag.

Then, there are complexities with the building. Its a very old stone cottage that was restored. The exterior is old stone walls now covered in pebble dash. So I can't drill them too heavy. For that reason, I won't rawlbolt a beam into them. Instead I'll need to use uprights strapped to the back wall and let them take the weight. Drilling and screwing in the strapping is much lighter and easier on the wall and the uprights then bear the load.

The back wall is not straight. There's an extension that jutts out about 2ft. It also extends the roof profile downwards so it's complex to surround with pvc sheet. There's also a boiler attached to this extension.

I took a lot of measurements and put it together in google sketchup. This is a free drawing and 3D modelling tool. It's stunning, very quick and easy to learn, they have tons of video tutorials and tons more on youtube. Highly recommend this to anyone who is considering anything that may need a bit of design or planning.

Here's a few images from the sketch. I modelled the back of the house pretty much exactly as it actually is. This sketch allowed me to see all the issues and problems I'm gonna face before hand, especially wrt the extenstion, boiler etc. I now have a cutlist, angles worked out etc.

1. The backyard in reality
    Img_7706.jpg

2. Complicated by this extension which brings the roof down
    Img_7681.jpg

3. I modelled the house, then built the leanto, finding all the problems and issues along the way virtually.
    house6.png

house6b.png

house6c.png

house6d.png

house6e.png

house6f.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the DIY forum now?:D

Yea Homebase in Sligo have them for €20. The screws you mention above are €5.69 for 10 !!!!:eek: My local BP have 12ft sheets of pvc for €35 but it's thicker and heavier. I've already decidedd trop over engineer because I am exposed to weather extremes here.

I am using
    4x4 uprights on outside, and 4x2 uprights inside (along wall)
    6x2 Rafters
    3x2 runners

So I'm wondering which way to go with the sheets, light & cheap or heavey and expensive

Most builders merchants have bags of Wood screws with hex head with rubber washers on them. There is a picture of the type I mean on this website.
    http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/324760092/Wood_Screw_Hex_Flange_Head_with.html

Just be careful not to over tighten them when screwing them in to avoid cracking the plastic sheeting. Obviously the price varies depending on size but they're a lot cheaper than those other ones and stronger too. You need to buy the special hex adapter to screw them in. You could add bigger washers to the screws to spread the weight further across the sheet.

As far as the sheets go, well you get what you pay for. The more expensive ones are stronger of course. I presume your going to take this shelter with you if by chance you ever decide to move house. I'm sure the cheaper variety would do the job you want them too. It really comes down to what the budget allows. The more expensive ones would probably look better appearance wise but they'll both keep the rain off the boat.

Just with regards to the timber, you should try and get the timber in roughly the lengths you need, you don't want to end up with a load of off cuts that you can't use for anything except expensive firewood. Do the local builders merchants stock 4 by 4 or are they ordering it in for you? (Not available in my local bm)

Just after typing all this and noticed you've just posted a sketch, it looks great! The plan looks good to me, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Hi dnme,

That looks great, must play with Sketchup sometime.

Just a thought re the oil boiler - would it be worth looking into extending the flue above the lean-to to avoid any odours etc when working and remove any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning etc.

Hope you get the boat in the water soon, will be a great feeling I'm sure.

Pete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

This just gets better and better. Where does your talent end.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Hi dnme,

That looks great, must play with Sketchup sometime.

Just a thought re the oil boiler - would it be worth looking into extending the flue above the lean-to to avoid any odours etc when working and remove any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning etc.

Hope you get the boat in the water soon, will be a great feeling I'm sure.

Pete.

Thats a great point Pete.
    For the moment I'll leave as is. I would not be using the boiler until after dark, cold, winter etc, but I'll bear it in mind. I might also look at putting a gutter on it, heavy rain falloff is concentrated and could be an issue below. But it can be added at a later date if needs be.

Definately look into sketchup, but before you do, watch a few beginner tutorial videos, you'll be flying then.

wush06 wrote: »
    This just gets better and better. Where does your talent end.

You should see my needlework and crochet :D
    It's all sketchup, which makes things look very professional and easy. In reality, I havn't hammered a nail yet. That's when the profanity starts.

B&Q they are 10ft x 2ft but I can't remember how much, Don't forget to get these to screw them down.

How much did you overlap the sheets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

How much did you overlap the sheets?

First time poster - Fascinating thread. Kudos to you!!

Normally a 1 'corrugation' overlap is more than sufficient.
    The thing to remember is to put the screws on the bow of the sheets and not in the troughs i.e. at the higher points to prevent accumulation of debris and the possibility of leakage at the entry point of the screws.
    A dab of silicone at each entry hole for the screws can also help to prevent both leakage and cracking.
    Drill the screw holes rather than using a smaller hole as a guide or screwing through without drilling. Those fixings that are pictured are expensive but really are the way to go.
    Price Alert!!! (Online English Company) http://www.cabp.co.uk/acatalog/corrugated_fixings.html

In the event that you really do expect severe weather it's also possible to reinforce the sheets with lengths of 2x1 running across the sheets but is very rarely necessary.

Regarding the boat build... In the beginning you gave yourself until next year to put the boat in the water. Even just tipping along at the pace you've been going there's probably 3 or a maximum of 4 months work left for a decent standard fit-out - and you have at least 8 months to meet that target!!!
    Once you try floating it, and all going well, your enthusiasm will soon return. You have all winter to think about the inner fittings/furnishings and these can be done on a gradual basis once you have the engineering bits sorted. I've no doubt that people here will come good again once you start to head into the final stages.
    You'll have to think about getting that new car though as you'll be expected to tour every corner of the country with it when you're finished !! :D

Looking forward to future installments..Keep the faith and good luck with it.

Just to make the point again about shopping in Ireland....It annoys me so much. I really want to go to my local shops and give them my business, even go into Sligo and shop local...but I'm being forced away by rediculous pricing. Here's the latest example...

The above screws are in Homebase in Sligo for €5.69 for 10 (Ten)!!

Amazon have 100 (ONE HUNDRED) of them for £9.99. If you brought your order upto £25 then its free delivery (and yes that also includes Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus dnme - I see the spoiler and agree but I was just trying to help.....
    Thanks vic, I get all that stuff from Amazon, good quality, very cheap and free delivery. Spoiler: Beware Tesco!!:eek: They are destroying every small retail business in their wake which is growing ever larger. Not to mention the heart of all our towns.

Aren't Amazon English (that we buy from at least) ?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Jaysus dnme - I see the spoiler and agree but I was just trying to help.....

Aren't Amazon English (that we buy from at least) ?

They are, but have Irish depot's and warehouses also. Amazon are simply an online retailer and reseller. They dont strategically buy land and properties, place strategically sized stores in the vacinity of existing businesses purely to obliterate them, they dont squeeze their suppliers to the point of obliteration, they don't lobby and become bedfellows with senior politicians....the list goes on.

Tesco moved into my old town a number of years ago. In that time they have bought up a substantial amount of the property and land around the town, and they'll sit on that as a stratregic asset purely to keep others out. It's extremely uncompetitive and it's destroying the heart and soul of a town. They are also affecting rural communities in a negative way from the way they treat agricultural suppliers. 20 Dairy farmers a week are now selling up in the UK, primarily because of Tesco.

Rant over. For another thread perhaps. I certainly meant you no offense, so dont take any. This insomnia is a bitch!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just a thought before you go and spend all your cash, how about just using your money to get the front windows made and a door for the cabin you can then just work in there over the winter fitting it out and getting it finished and on a good day do a few bits out side, my boats are wooden so have to be keep dry till sealed where if you just take the bung out and tilt it up a bit it will be fine over the winter without "any" sort of cover on it.
    Frost will only do real damage if water is trapped with no escape when it freezes so I wouldn't worry about that.These boats are made to be outside and I doubt it ever had a cover over it's hole life.
    The lean to looks great and would be handy but do you really, really need it.
    Just think about it as you add up the total cost of materials to build it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Thats a very very valid point fergal.

They are, but have Irish depot's and warehouses also. Amazon are simply an online retailer and reseller. They dont strategically buy land and properties, place strategically sized stores in the vacinity of existing businesses purely to obliterate them, they dont squeeze their suppliers to the point of obliteration, they don't lobby and become bedfellows with senior politicians....the list goes on.

Tesco moved into my old town a number of years ago. In that time they have bought up a substantial amount of the property and land around the town, and they'll sit on that as a stratregic asset purely to keep others out. It's extremely uncompetitive and it's destroying the heart and soul of a town. They are also affecting rural communities in a negative way from the way they treat agricultural suppliers. 20 Dairy farmers a week are now selling up in the UK, primarily because of Tesco.

Rant over. For another thread perhaps. I certainly meant you no offense, so dont take any. This insomnia is a bitch!

Fair point dnme :)
    This insomnia is a bitch!

There's the name for your boat - Insomnia, it has given you loads of sleepless nights thus far !!;)

As Hector would say - "Keep it lit" !!

• Advertisement

As Hector would say - "Keep it lit" !!

Jesus don't get me started on that spoon! :D

@Fergal,

leanto is going ahead. I need a place that's dry, I need a place for fuel, kennel etc. As it is, I have nowhere, so I'm going to bite the bullet on it.

I can no longer work on that boat out in the paddock. Everything is soaked all the time, my work table is rotting away, I can't bring timber down there to work on cos it's too wet. The ground is mucky all the time. I hate running 230v down that paddock and then walking on it, dogs around it etc.

I think you are right, a dry area to work will enhance to way you look at that very work, it will inspire you.

No one wants to work in the wet.
    Jesus don't get me started on that spoon! :D

:D:D You got that right ! I'd have used the word Spanner !!

I think you are right, a dry area to work will enhance to way you look at that very work, it will inspire you.

No one wants to work in the wet.

:D:D You got that right ! I'd have used the word Spanner !!

+1.

A decent leanto will be like adding a room. A dry area for all sorts of things. Not least sitting out under it on a rainy summers evening, with a cuppa, a rocking chair, looking out at the lake and the glorious sound of rain hitting the roof overhead. I'm lookiong forward to it for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

A decent leanto will be like adding a room. A dry area for all sorts of things. Not least sitting out under it on a rainy summers evening, with a cuppa, a rocking chair, looking out at the lake and the glorious sound of rain hitting the roof overhead. I'm lookiong forward to it for that alone.

But when you have the boat inside it, will you have that much room left to work around?

Go back to your google etch-a-sketch and put in a rough estimation of the boat, just to see.

If it's too tight, then Feargal's point about leaving the boat outside might be considered. You'll still leave yourself a nice workshop area for making bits of furniture etc

The producers have been in conference with the networks all day. They have battled out a new deal for a spin off series

"A lean-To tale". First episode just aired over in the DIY forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

Thanks dnme, this thread is just getting better and better. I always look forward to checking in during the day. Keep up the great work. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭meercat

dnme
    just came across this thread(found link in diy)
    never had much interest in boats to be honest
    but i have to say i am heartened to see all the support and encouragement you are receiving
    as other ,more knowledgeable posters have said already
    its looking good,keep it up and your time and efforts will pay off

The producers have been in conference with the networks all day. They have battled out a new deal for a spin off series

"A lean-To tale". First episode just aired over in the DIY forum.

Heard that crowd can be a bit rough over there dnme be careful.:)

wush06 wrote: »
    Heard that crowd can be a bit rough over there dnme be careful.:)

ahh yes, I'm swimming in shark infested waters now. :cool: But I can't help it. I've become a post junkie....I need a fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewHope

neyessssss! I'm not so sure! What in gods name have I started?:D

@jimmmy and @Newhope, I trust you both have day jobs?:D:D

Got a job working mad shifts, days, nights and weekends for an American company?
    Love your guts and determination man. Your audience/ fan base are growing daily. Anyone on face book, please copy and paste OUR link. We can promote dnme and his project as an example to everyone, what can be achieved on a shoe string budget in a recession when you have the will and determination to fulfil a goal. Good luck man.

ahh yes, I'm swimming in shark infested waters now. :cool: But I can't help it. I've become a post junkie....I need a fix.

Wait till they read about the beast.

I'll get the popcorn ready. :D

NewHope wrote: »
    Got a job working mad shifts, days, nights and weekends for an American company?
    Love your guts and determination man. Your audience/ fan base are growing daily. Anyone on face book, please copy and paste OUR link. We can promote dnme and his project as an example to everyone, what can be achieved on a shoe string budget in a recession when you have the will and determination to fulfil a goal. Good luck man.

God bless us one and all !!:p

Don't spread the thread too far and wide, I don't want any of my crazy ass family finding this :D (I'm serious!!! :D:D:D:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just a thought I came upon the other day sitting in my truck cab in a random nameless village in the rain last week. In a country where it rains 90% of the time (in a purely vertical manner mostly) why isnt there a veranda/gazebo culture here? I dont know any public park that has a gazebo so if it looks overcast and cloudy I'll just avoid going for a walk as its inevitable that I'll get wet.
    Seriously, try walking in any park in the rain, there isnt an ounce of shelter. The only public shelter you find on any streets are bus shelters. In Houses the only place I have ever put in open sided shelters is at the front door. Personally I love the idea of being able to have a bar-b-q on a still drizzly day not just when its perfectly dry with a clear sky. It would also be nice to have somewhere to put my swinging chair, you know where one could sit and play a bit of banjo:D,

I applaud your decision to put up the lean-to its a simple blatently obvious practical approach to living in Ireland. Might follow on with one myself:D

you know where one could sit and play a bit of banjo:D

Now, there's a name for your boat dnme - Deliverance :eek::eek:

Squeal like a pig !!:D

I'm aware of the rules, profanity and offending people etc but......

In my mind, I alway ssaw it being called RUNT. Again using that old keyboard where the r and c keys got mixed up.

Just imagine it. Can you see it steaming into some posh harbour, say Fahan, or Dunlaoghaire, all those upper middle Henry's and Henrietta's out on deck enjoying their margarita's. Then along scurries my nasty cheap little thing. Then they see the name beautifully engraved on each side of the bow. "RUNT".

Everytime I think of it, I piss myself:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hey dnme, I posted about the lean-to over in DIY but I thought I would add here that I have the wiring diagram for trailer lights here, I can scan and attach it on a post here if you want it?

Shane

Hey dnme, I posted about the lean-to over in DIY but I thought I would add here that I have the wiring diagram for trailer lights here, I can scan and attach it on a post here if you want it?

Shane

Thanks Shane. I have a lightboard that just plugs into car towbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dnme. fwiw I know it can be really hard sometimes to keep at a project.

I built my own campervan, and it was hard graft I can tell you. Same as you, I had a thread going about it here and when I was finding it tough, I'd post up and no one would bother replying or thanking me at all and I'd be wondering 'whats the feckin point of this at all'. Many times I felt like putting a match to the blasted thing.

For one reason or another I ended up taking a break of about three months from the van over last winter. I can honestly tell you it was the best thing ever. It gave me great perspective and motiviation to finish the job.

I remember I would be looking at the same job needing doing and it would be staring me in the face. I'd ignore it simply because I couldn't face it for weeks on end. After the break it was still there but my attitude for tackling it was much different.

I know its easier said than done, but you need to keep the faith. If you bin the whole thing, you will end up kicking yourself in the long run.

Best of luck, and I'll be checking in here again soon.

• Advertisement

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2518230
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2518277

Just saw this trailer for sale on donedeal. Not sure if it's of any interest, looks like it has brakes, doesn't say if they're working though. I've no connection to it, just saw it while browsing. I think the guy who is selling it has a few different trailers for sale if you just open the boats section on done deal they are on the first page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Great thread, I only started reading today but its been bookmarked.

just spent the guts of 3 hours getting through all the updates and the trials and tribulations. I've only ever been on a boat once (bar ferries and the like) and wouldn't know my port arse from my starboard one, but this has been an incredible read.

Afraid I have little I can help with other than this commendation, but will certainly be following any more future progress with wide eyes!

The videos and quality of updates is fantastic. I know you'll find a way to keep it up, so good luck with it!

Just going back to ideas for the maiden voyage ( the real one not the enivetable "bail like hell till we get back to shore" one:D)

When we first registered with WWI I remember looking at the waterways map they provided with our reg sticker and seeing that there is a clear waterway all the way from Lough Erne to Waterford through the grand/royal canals. I havent checked with WWI but that might be a nicer way to start, maybe beginning in lough Key and finishing in Dunmore East.

Probably abit safer than heading out to sea and definately more comfortable plus its still something that I dont think is often done by most boaters. Dodging shopping trollies and the occasional suitcase body is lots easier than dodging sea gulls and 10m waves. Fuel will also be easier to come by as most small villages will have a petrol pump while sea harbours usually only cater for diesel. Takes us 3 days to get from lough key to Clonmacnoise so that trip would probably take over a week one way.

Any sign of this weather calming down? If there is any break in it tomorrow or friday hows about we throw "runt" in the water and see how she floats

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a gang of us bringing our boats to lough Allen http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,33860 on friday so if you tow it up we can give you a hand get her wet. :)

Slig, Fergal. Many thanks as always.

I'm up to my eyes with the leanto. Rushing like hell between showers and chasing darkness. I have an appointment on Friday so couldn't do it then anyway. Some day next week ?

• Advertisement

There is a gang of us bringing our boats to lough Allen http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,33860 on friday so if you tow it up we can give you a hand get her wet. :)

Enjoy Lough Allen its a great, underutilised lake and Drumshanbo, noe thats REAL deliverance country:D. I learned to sail at the Lough Allen Sailing club about 3 years ago, in November, in a gale. Serious baptism of fire but I've been back plenty since. There are great facilities up there.

Real great crowd of people running that place, very nice and helpful and I'm delighted to hear they finally got the slip way in. Last time I was there there were plans for it but nothing in place but a muddy bank. Lough Allen is a great lake but watch out for the bottom, it appears in the most un-expected places:D and the weather can change in a flash.

Just back from Drumshanbo where I met up with our own fergal.b and missus. They are on L. Allen for the weekend as part of the power boat club. Met them in the new sailing club which is a very impressive facility.

Please to meet you Fergal. That's some boat you built, shame I only got to see it in a wet and dark car park. Next time.

Great to meet the man himself after all this internet dating :) Lough Allen is a great spot but it has a weather system all it's own, flat calm in the morning with lots of sunshine then an hour later we were hit with a tropical storm and 4 foot swells.
    Thanks for the compliment,yep I think she was the best looking powerboat.:D

2011-09-17102826.jpg

You got home alright, good stuff. Yes the weather completely fcuked with my head all day. Seeing what you're driving and the quality trailer you have under that boat made me feel like a .......we like a bit of a knacker quite frankly.:D You'll have to come back up this way again Fergal, there's a maze of waterways and lakes here where you can get lost for a day easy. Great part of the country. I'm lucky to live here.

Anyways, after a day getting soaked, cold, tired and angry...... thank god for open fire's, lazy labrador's and the Deer Hunter on tele.

You got home alright, good stuff. Yes the weather completely fcuked with my head all day. Seeing what you're driving and the quality trailer you have under that boat made me feel like a .......we like a bit of a knacker quite frankly.:D You'll have to come back up this way again Fergal, there's a maze of waterways and lakes here where you can get lost for a day easy. Great part of the country. I'm lucky to live here.

Anyways, after a day getting soaked, cold, tired and angry...... thank god for open fire's, lazy labrador's and the Deer Hunter on tele.

That quality trailer broke a wheel bearing on the M4 coming home, I was lucky I had a spare with me and there is nothing like changing a wheel hub and bearings in the pissing rain at the side of the motorway 4 hours late to pick up your son and an unhappy wife, O the joy's of boating :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement