Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A restoration tale (with pics)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Draw a line from one side of the bottom of the transom across the keel to the other side then measure the size of the bung hole needed off the bung plus the bit of a rim that will sit against the transom and half it then measure from the line on the keel up the half size of the hole and drill at the angle of the transom that will also give you a fall on the hole,
    The dot will be the center of the hole.
    Img_6828-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

fergal.b wrote: »
    Draw a line from one side of the bottom of the transom across the keel to the other side then measure the size of the bung hole needed off the bung plus the bit of a rim that will sit against the transom and half it then measure from the line on the keel up the half size of the hole and drill at the angle of the transom that will also give you a fall on the hole,
    The dot will be the center of the hole.
    Img_6828-1.jpg

I'll have to read this a dfew times but many thanks:confused::D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

dnme wrote: »
    I'll have to read this a dfew times but many thanks:confused::D

Just aim and shoot :D

Day 37

I'm going to keep this short and sweet using pictures rather than words. Work continues although it's pretty mundane stuff. Sanding, glassing, filling, sanding, filling etc. I took some time out over the weekend to restore my old garden seat, again thanks Slig for the loan of the table saw.

I have the side keels repaired and on pedastals ready to glass and just had a delivery of biaxial cloth for the job, but also this evening it's starting to spit rain so I am packing up before dinner. Forecast is a bit dodgy afaict.

1. This is the way to start work when your boat is down the garden.
    169411.jpg

2. A break from boat restoration to restore an old seat. I used pine from the builders merchants and borrowed Slig's table saw to mill it.
    169407.jpg

3. The side keels are ready for glassing up. Wish the weather was...
    169408.jpg

4. A 3 way progress shot showing the repair to the hole I cut in the bulkhead.
    169409.jpg

5. A 4 way progress shot. The hull exterior / gel coat is full of these tiny hole groups. I am painstakingly boring each one and then filling. The holes go right through into the old csm so I dont want water getting back in there. Once filled, I am hoping that this in combination with paint will protect sufficiently.

EDIT: Just noticed I made a balls of editing this, read it in the order C B A D
    169412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Excellent thread. just spent a most enjoyable 3 hours reading it :)

Keep up the good work, it will all be worth it when you get to launch it for the first time.

Definition of a boat ....... a hole in the water into which you throw money :D

• Advertisement

Day 37b

Well would you believe, there's another update. After dinner, the weather came good so I decided to head back out to the boat and make a start on the side keels. As I progressed, one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was commiting myself to a night of serious work. Then as sod's law states, "the rain came". So with epoxy on the boil and tacky stuff everywhere, I threw my evening's workload into the wheelbarrow and high tailed it into John and Mary's barn next door. Once settled in there, I was able to work in peace, however it was pretty dark and I struggled with one or two photographs. It occurs top me that my working conditions are worse than that of a a Chinese textile worker.

On a side note, I have spent the last couple of weeks watching all six series of The Soprano's late at night. It doesn't half rub off on you lemmie tell ya. Tonight as I workewd in the barn, poor old john came down for a chat and to see how I was doing. As soon as I spotted him I looked up and said "Hoahh, there-e-is!"

So I actually have a keel glassed up and curing overnight. I did not expect to achieve this at all. Infact since that dark day when I removed those dam keels from the boat, I have been dreading this job more than any. My previous vision of using a pedastal and crocodile clips on elastic bands for tension worked a treat. Infact without them I reckon the job would have been a failure. here's how it went.

First I stuck some silage tape to the keel underside to mask it from any epoxy.

I continued by making an epoxy paste and lining the bolt holes in the keel. Then I installed the bolts and bolted the keel tight to my pedastal. This pushed the paste through the holes as squeeze out. I then filled the bolt hole countersinks with paste flush to the keel timber.

I then coated the keel in a nice coat of epoxy and let it tack up for a good 40 minutes.

I lay down a sheet of polythene. Onto that I wet out four pieces of biaxial cloth one on top of another to make the classic patch.

After letting the patch go tacky for about 20 mins, I offered it up to the keel. I played arounbd with it for a bit until happy with its position, I then dabbed more epoxy onto it and tried to get it to sit down tight to the keel. No matter what I did there was always some piece of the patch sticking up somewhere. Then my brainwave. I brought out a box of elastic bands and some clips and mini clamps. I tied a couple of elastic bands to each clip, then clipped to the patch, and tensioned to a screw on the opposite side of the pedastal thus pulling the cloth down and in to the keel.

At both curved ends, I had to cut the patch to make a fold over seam. I tensioned this with clips and then clamped a couple of pieces of ply resting on polythene over it to force the seam flat.

I'm looking forward to getting out to the barn in the morning to see if my very hard work paid off. At times there tonight, I was covered in epoxy. I even abandoned the gloves and just worked the stuff with bare hands. Everything and I mean everything was sticky and annoying to touch. Even the dog who sat faithfully beside me in the barn did not escape the tacky treatment.

1. Adding a lining of silage tape to the keel to mask it's underside. This was trimmed flush to the keel.
    Img_6834.jpg

2. Bolting the keel down tight to the pedastal after lining the bolt holes with epoxy paste.
    Img_6835.jpg

3. Filling the remainder of the countersinks with epoxy paste
    Img_6836.jpg
    Img_6837.jpg

4. Transfer to next door's barn as it started to rain. Here I am wetting out a glass fibre patch on a sheet of polythene. The patch consisted of four layers of biaxial cloth.
    Img_6839.jpg

5. Offering up the wetted out patch to the keel. Nervous and sticky times, god knows how I photographed it at all. Sticky camera!!!
    Img_6849.jpg

6. Adding tension to the cloth in two key directions (down and inwards) using clips and elastic bands.
    Img_6853.jpg

7. The keel assmebly as I left it for the evening. The ends have a cut overlap which I clamped flat.
    Img_6854.jpg

The Good
    ======
    The job could not have worked out better. Just been out to check it. I have a keel that is solidly glassed in with no gaps, creases or anything. This thing is perfect. I am f'ing thrilled with it, and now I know precisely how to do the secone one.

The Bad
    ======
    My croc clips are bonded to the cloth tail:D. The little plastic clamps survived and spearated easily but it maybe time to go back to the pound shop for more croc clips. Small price :)

The Ugly
    ======
    Got out of bed groggy and went to the mirror. ahhghghghgh my eyes, my eyes!:eek:

EDIT: Here's the result. After cutting away the overhang cloth with an angle grinder, the remainder will be sanded flush to the keel.

Img_6858.jpg

Img_6859.jpg

Img_6860.jpg

Img_6861.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

in fairness to you, that looks pretty good!

alexlyons wrote: »
    in fairness to you, that looks pretty good!

fcuk me, you're up late:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

fcuk me, you're up late:D

Sure jazus, so are you!

• Advertisement

alexlyons wrote: »
    Sure jazus, so are you!

Yea, watchin Sopranos, "hoah there he is!":D

The shape of things to come, she's not much of a navigator though.
    169649.jpg

Looks like you might have a bit of competition.
    It's a shame they don't show more of the boat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The shape of things to come, she's not much of a navigator though.
    169649.jpg

As long as she's a good lookout though, one bark for starboard, two for port. :D

Looks like you might have a bit of competition.
    It's a shame they don't show more of the boat.

jeez that's amazing! Just sent them a message linking to here.

Have you seen this one.
    Before
    derwentboatphobetatjosie005.jpg

After

10april2011boattopock013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

Have you seen this one.
    Before
    derwentboatphobetatjosie005.jpg

After

10april2011boattopock013.jpg

a nice transformation, the inside looks ok, bet ya dnme can't wait to get his all done

Yeah, even asked owner to send me a few photos of door/hatch assembly, no luck. I think those old retro bridge's / windscreens are ugly.

EDIT: I also notice that all other N17's seem to have a step in the footrail. I have yet to find another that matches mine exactly.

The only one I could find was this, must be a rare early classic.

p108_19264.jpg&ctext=%A9%20G.C.Slawson,%202007&maxsize=600&shape=1.345

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

lol, i am sitting eagerly awaiting another update on this, i have lots of time on my hands due to a broken wrist and not been able to do feck all!!!!!

• Advertisement

Day 38

The weather forecast is for torrential rain over the weekend so it was with a sense of renewed purpose if not urgency that I toiled at the money boat today. I had to break for the afternoon to go to Carrick-on-Shannon but managed to get a lot done this morning and evening.

At this stage I'm not one for sound bites but I have to say I feel the hand of history upon us. :D Tonight my friends I can report that the keels are going home. Their not bedded in quite yet but a dry fit went well and I feel a sense of achievement akin to when Moses went to Mount Olive and she let him.

Bring it on bitch! I'm Johnny invincible! Dam right!:cool:

1. Getting ready to actually start building stuff. Here I am removing the old grp seating lip, it's just a wrapover and floats so needs to go in order that I can setup a piece of mounting timber.
    Img_6867.jpg

2. Job done, ready for a timber batton, a task for another day.
    Img_6868.jpg

3. Start work on cleaning up the newly glassed keels. Sand em flush to the keel timber.
    Img_6871.jpg

4. Sanded to perfection. When I die, I'd like "He could sure sand" inscribed on my gravestone.
    Img_6875.jpg

5. This puppy arrived in the post this morning, my new drain plug assembly. . . . . I'm gonna go drill me a hole (job for another day)
    Img_6876.jpg

6. Across the lake, looking at Truskmore behind Ben Bulben, amazing cloud formation under the TV transmitter this evening.
    Img_6877.jpg

7. Never thought I'd see the day, making up 18mm marine ply keel plates.
    Img_6881.jpg

8. A sort of homecoming, I truly never really believed I'd ever get these keels back on this boat.
    Img_6882.jpg

9. Remember the last time I was photographing keel plates for this project, a sorry day about two months ago. Progress sweet progress.
    Img_6883.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Hey dnme, Every night I check in late to see how you're doing. Your progress against odds is outstanding, and your absolute refusal to compromise and bodge it together is an example I know I couldnt follow.
    I'm a tradesman, (wood) and I admire your ability to master the new processes and tasks this boat throws up. I'd have burnt it long ago, and feel the poorer person for knowing that.
    I'm also a boater, and when you have the launch party, I'l be there if invited.
    I mentioned it before, but when you get to any visible wood finishes, if there are any tools I can lend, (I have some old and unusual ones which do jobs rarely done today) what I have is yours. I wasn't able to be of help with the wood for the keels or stringers, I'm about as far away as it's possible to be in this country, and I threw out and gave away most of my collection of wood last year, but I do have some extremely hard red mahogany- I cant actually get it identified but its amazing stuff, with an interesting history, and you are welcome to enough of it for any ornate wood you may want to add to the boat.
    Keep hitting hard, - you're on top of this sucker now, and don't let him/or should it be her:D up for air again till you have it floating.

Great post john, I now reckon I'm going to trim the boat gunwhale in wood rather than rubber or pvc cos it'll be cheaper. I have a couple of pieces of oak but wonder would your timber suit it better. We're talking 2 x 17ft lengths of say 1.5" or 2" x 1", and then 2 x 10 ft of the same for the strakes. Oak is pretty light and I wonder could I stain it (properly) if I do use it?

Here's the trim I'm talking about on another boat.
    169734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Go with timber if at all possible, its harder work but you have the attention to detail to do it right. Plastic Rubbing strake is daylight robbery. We spent 200 euro for enough to do a 17ft shetland 536. David (the guy you met while cutting your bench timbers) used mahogony on a flying 15 sailing boat we have in the shed and it looks really well. Its a lovely contrast in colour and texture to the fibreglass much nicer IMO than a light oak would be.

Sorry I didnt get down last week. we were making the most of the sunshine, getting on the water as much as possible. I sold my jeep so our wee cruiser is relegated to the back of the shed until I can get something suitable to tow it with again. We spent tuesday in Mullaghmore fishing mackrel off a 12ft speedboat, wednesday we went back to my home beach of Dunmoran strand with the kayaks on the roof rack on the roof rack and Thursday and Friday (between showers) we spent teaching Amys young cousins to water ski on Oakport. Back up in Dublin working again.

Just thinking out loud here but would a marquee tent thing be any use to you? They wont keep out the wind but it could make a difference either over the work bench or the boat on the drizzling calm days.

Slig wrote: »
    Go with timber if at all possible, its harder work but you have the attention to detail to do it right. Plastic Rubbing strake is daylight robbery. We spent 200 euro for enough to do a 17ft shetland 536. David (the guy you met while cutting your bench timbers) used mahogony on a flying 15 sailing boat we have in the shed and it looks really well. Its a lovely contrast in colour and texture to the fibreglass much nicer IMO than a light oak would be.

Sorry I didnt get down last week. we were making the most of the sunshine, getting on the water as much as possible. I sold my jeep so our wee cruiser is relegated to the back of the shed until I can get something suitable to tow it with again. We spent tuesday in Mullaghmore fishing mackrel off a 12ft speedboat, wednesday we went back to my home beach of Dunmoran strand with the kayaks on the roof rack on the roof rack and Thursday and Friday (between showers) we spent teaching Amys young cousins to water ski on Oakport. Back up in Dublin working again.

Just thinking out loud here but would a marquee tent thing be any use to you? They wont keep out the wind but it could make a difference either over the work bench or the boat on the drizzling calm days.

Sliq, a marquee would cost too much. For the moment I'm ticking along between showers ok, I have an offer of a huge shed in Gurteen from a good friend and I may take him up on that for painting.

Boy you lot had a great week, glad you sold the jeep, call up some evening for a cup of coffee. I wont be asking you again - getting sick of it now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Looks like a rocket taking off ...... :)

6. Across the lake, looking at Truskmore behind Ben Bulben, amazing cloud formation under the TV transmitter this evening.
    Img_6877.jpg

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Looks like a rocket taking off ......

That's what I was thinking Kat, it looked amazing although my battered old camera with a fixed zoom lens couldn't do it justice.

Day 39

Tonight’s topic: Anger management (attendance mandatory)

What the hell is that Evelyn Cusack’s problem? Torrential rain she says, heavy showers, some thundery. I have been sitting here all dam morning looking out waiting for this rain. I listened to Marian, I got News at one. I watched the minor match and then started on that dam Waterford game (by the way…Waterford FFS???). No rain, not a drop, in fact the day got brighter and brighter. By 4pm I decided to risk it. Out to the boat to do a bit of work, I had now lost a good half of the day though.
    What job to do? Will I take on the bedding in of a keel? Hah? Will I? Nah I’d never do it this late. Plus I have yet to get the dinner. Bollocks to that – I’m gonna do one! Starboard keel get your boots on, you’re going home!

So out with all the tools, cloth, epoxy kits, power, radio, dog and even a mug of coffee; I have never been so ready. I started out by grinding all mating surfaces. This means the hull in the area where the keel will mate with it, then on deck the areas around where I will bolt the keel plates. Vacuumed up the dust, blah blah blah.

Then I decided to rough up the keel a bit (so I took it round the back and bet the livin be-jesus out of it….oh sorry that’s a different thread). No what I meant to say is - I got out my dremmed with a side cutting drill bit and gouged out a rough key on the keels mating surface. Then I coated every mating surface with epoxy. The deck areas, the hull areas, the three keel plates and the keel top itself.

Next, time to make a batch of my clotted double cream. This is of course thickened epoxy with glass strands and white pigment making a thick paste. I piled the cream onto the keel and the deck where the plates would go. Then I offered up the keel, choc’d it into place, went to the deck and started screwing it tight through the keel plates. I tightened it as even as I could eventually tightening the be-jesus out of it. This led to lots of lovely clotted cream squeeze out making a lovely fileting material above and below.

Next, time to glass in the plates using pieces if biaxial cloth. The epoxy was nice and tacky so I could lay down the cloth and it stuck beautifully. I lay 3 pieces over each plate.

Then the problems started… Tabbing in the dam keel; Jesus what a job! I could not get the cloth to retain its shape partly due to the fact that I am so sticky that I can barely handle it without skewing it badly. I am lying on wet ground, well on a wet tarp which also seeps in the water from underneath. I am getting covered in grass and muck, making everything else not just sticky but filthy. Anyheeew, I bodged this a little, I managed to get glass to the keel and tab it in. It’s all crooked and overlapping and there are dry parts where I hope to trim it tomorrow. It’s a mess.

But once in, I looked at the pile of clotted cream I had left and felt sickened to waste it. It was about 7:30pm and I wondered could I get away with bedding in the other keel. Yes you guessed it, I went for it. Bad move. No one told me it gets dark at 10pm these nights. I spent the night chasing daylight, the universe and curing epoxy. No food, weak, starving, wet – soaked all over infact. Filthy, Sticky, everything is sticky, everything I touch, everything that moves, I am getting angry now. That dam tab #2. Again the job from hell trying to hold up a thin strip of biaxial with sticky hands, arms, clothes etc. It stretches and goes thin in one direction, then curls in another direction. I’m dabbing, cutting, frantic. It’s dark. I can no longer see what the hell I am doing. Then the dog decides to go mental. She runs up the road barking and growling at a neighbour. I have to stop and go get her, fuming! Bastard neighbour, what time of day is this to be going walking for the love of fcuk, you had all dam day for this lark. I meet him, apologise and swear to myself there and then that if I catch the dog, I will make some adjustments to her! Back to boat, dark, tabbing falling down. Now crying, I break my coffee mug. Doesn’t really help. I go to my old friend - the scream. I yell as loud as I can, that helps a little, won't tell ya what I yelled, I'd be arrested!

…………….Anyway, I’m in now, job done. It’s superb apart from the tabbing. I was so angry coming in that when the second extension cable refused to reel in; I just broke it off the wall. Bits of plastic everywhere, now that helped! No animals were hurt in the making of this post, just some property and a couple of fingers.

1. Roughing up the keel mating surface.
    Img_6884.jpg

2. A bed of clotted cream, I swear to god, every time I make this stuff, I want to dip my finger in and lick it.
    Img_6887.jpg

3. Offering up the keel. careful now!
    Img_6888.jpg

4. Clotted cream and marine ply keel plates
    Img_6889.jpg

5. Plates glassed in. That reminds me, I must give the ex girlfriend a call, the one who suffers from the cold :D
    Img_6892.jpg

It was too late and too dark and I was too sticky to photograph the tabbed in keels. Tomorrow I'll post a shot of em.

Who's the man.
    For your anger management you should spend a day sanding to be absolved of your sins and some of that language.:D

• Advertisement

Day 39 update

I had a go this evening at trimming and tidying up the keel tabbing. It came out pretty well to be honest. I managed to run a stanley knife along it, then carefully presented the good old belt sander to the edges followed by a run of a random orbital 60g disk. The photos below tell the story. But after taking the photos, I mixed up batch of epoxy thickened with colloidal silica, and painted that on. This has had a great filling and smoothing effect. I'm a little worried that the leading edge tabbing is a little short, see for yourself, but I should remember that the keel is actually bedded and filleted with epoxy so the tabbing is really not much more than cosmetic.

This is a bit of a milestone with the boat folks. It is now actually capable of being put on water, the first time since I got the dam thing. I honestly thought I'd never get the keels back on or at least back on anywhere near properly. The fact that they are on and bedded in well is a miracle to be honest.

Lets call this the half way mark. If you've been following this thread, I'd love to hear from ya, just to celebrate the dam keels, just post a hi or better still, tell me, where do you think I should go now? what are my next steps? what about colour schemes? name? anything else you can think of. I would just love to hear from everyone as I consider you friends at this stage. Give us a shout, go on you know you want to.:D

1. Looking back at the starboard keel
    Img_6901.jpg

2. Leading edge tabbing, the perfectionist in me hates this but I have since coated it in a thick epoxy mix.
    Img_6904.jpg

3. Looking back at port keel.
    Img_6908.jpg

4. Port keel again
    Img_6909.jpg

5. One of the trailing edges
    Img_6911.jpg

6. This scissors was pristine a few weeks back, razor sharp and in the kitchen for years. It's covered in epoxy now, thank god I am not married.
    Img_6912.jpg

7. How the keels used to look

157513.jpg

161411.jpg

161600.jpg

161601.jpg

161602.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Advertisement