Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A restoration tale (with pics)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Pete67 wrote: »
    Hi dnme,

That looks great, must play with Sketchup sometime.

Just a thought re the oil boiler - would it be worth looking into extending the flue above the lean-to to avoid any odours etc when working and remove any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning etc.

Hope you get the boat in the water soon, will be a great feeling I'm sure.

Pete.

Thats a great point Pete.
    For the moment I'll leave as is. I would not be using the boiler until after dark, cold, winter etc, but I'll bear it in mind. I might also look at putting a gutter on it, heavy rain falloff is concentrated and could be an issue below. But it can be added at a later date if needs be.

Definately look into sketchup, but before you do, watch a few beginner tutorial videos, you'll be flying then.

wush06 wrote: »
    This just gets better and better. Where does your talent end.

You should see my needlework and crochet :D
    It's all sketchup, which makes things look very professional and easy. In reality, I havn't hammered a nail yet. That's when the profanity starts.

fergal.b wrote: »
    B&Q they are 10ft x 2ft but I can't remember how much, Don't forget to get these to screw them down.

78225_P?$p$&wid=281&hei=281&op_sharpen=1

How much did you overlap the sheets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

dnme wrote: »
    How much did you overlap the sheets?

First time poster - Fascinating thread. Kudos to you!!

Normally a 1 'corrugation' overlap is more than sufficient.
    The thing to remember is to put the screws on the bow of the sheets and not in the troughs i.e. at the higher points to prevent accumulation of debris and the possibility of leakage at the entry point of the screws.
    A dab of silicone at each entry hole for the screws can also help to prevent both leakage and cracking.
    Drill the screw holes rather than using a smaller hole as a guide or screwing through without drilling. Those fixings that are pictured are expensive but really are the way to go.
    Price Alert!!! (Online English Company) http://www.cabp.co.uk/acatalog/corrugated_fixings.html

In the event that you really do expect severe weather it's also possible to reinforce the sheets with lengths of 2x1 running across the sheets but is very rarely necessary.

Regarding the boat build... In the beginning you gave yourself until next year to put the boat in the water. Even just tipping along at the pace you've been going there's probably 3 or a maximum of 4 months work left for a decent standard fit-out - and you have at least 8 months to meet that target!!!
    Once you try floating it, and all going well, your enthusiasm will soon return. You have all winter to think about the inner fittings/furnishings and these can be done on a gradual basis once you have the engineering bits sorted. I've no doubt that people here will come good again once you start to head into the final stages.
    You'll have to think about getting that new car though as you'll be expected to tour every corner of the country with it when you're finished !! :D

Looking forward to future installments..Keep the faith and good luck with it.

fergal.b wrote: »
    B&Q they are 10ft x 2ft but I can't remember how much, Don't forget to get these to screw them down.

78225_P?$p$&wid=281&hei=281&op_sharpen=1

Just to make the point again about shopping in Ireland....It annoys me so much. I really want to go to my local shops and give them my business, even go into Sligo and shop local...but I'm being forced away by rediculous pricing. Here's the latest example...

The above screws are in Homebase in Sligo for €5.69 for 10 (Ten)!!

Amazon have 100 (ONE HUNDRED) of them for £9.99. If you brought your order upto £25 then its free delivery (and yes that also includes Ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus dnme - I see the spoiler and agree but I was just trying to help.....
    Thanks vic, I get all that stuff from Amazon, good quality, very cheap and free delivery. Spoiler: Beware Tesco!!:eek: They are destroying every small retail business in their wake which is growing ever larger. Not to mention the heart of all our towns.

Aren't Amazon English (that we buy from at least) ?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Jaysus dnme - I see the spoiler and agree but I was just trying to help.....

Aren't Amazon English (that we buy from at least) ?

They are, but have Irish depot's and warehouses also. Amazon are simply an online retailer and reseller. They dont strategically buy land and properties, place strategically sized stores in the vacinity of existing businesses purely to obliterate them, they dont squeeze their suppliers to the point of obliteration, they don't lobby and become bedfellows with senior politicians....the list goes on.

Tesco moved into my old town a number of years ago. In that time they have bought up a substantial amount of the property and land around the town, and they'll sit on that as a stratregic asset purely to keep others out. It's extremely uncompetitive and it's destroying the heart and soul of a town. They are also affecting rural communities in a negative way from the way they treat agricultural suppliers. 20 Dairy farmers a week are now selling up in the UK, primarily because of Tesco.

Rant over. For another thread perhaps. I certainly meant you no offense, so dont take any. This insomnia is a bitch!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just a thought before you go and spend all your cash, how about just using your money to get the front windows made and a door for the cabin you can then just work in there over the winter fitting it out and getting it finished and on a good day do a few bits out side, my boats are wooden so have to be keep dry till sealed where if you just take the bung out and tilt it up a bit it will be fine over the winter without "any" sort of cover on it.
    Frost will only do real damage if water is trapped with no escape when it freezes so I wouldn't worry about that.These boats are made to be outside and I doubt it ever had a cover over it's hole life.
    The lean to looks great and would be handy but do you really, really need it.
    Just think about it as you add up the total cost of materials to build it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Thats a very very valid point fergal.

They are, but have Irish depot's and warehouses also. Amazon are simply an online retailer and reseller. They dont strategically buy land and properties, place strategically sized stores in the vacinity of existing businesses purely to obliterate them, they dont squeeze their suppliers to the point of obliteration, they don't lobby and become bedfellows with senior politicians....the list goes on.

Tesco moved into my old town a number of years ago. In that time they have bought up a substantial amount of the property and land around the town, and they'll sit on that as a stratregic asset purely to keep others out. It's extremely uncompetitive and it's destroying the heart and soul of a town. They are also affecting rural communities in a negative way from the way they treat agricultural suppliers. 20 Dairy farmers a week are now selling up in the UK, primarily because of Tesco.

Rant over. For another thread perhaps. I certainly meant you no offense, so dont take any. This insomnia is a bitch!

Fair point dnme :)
    This insomnia is a bitch!

There's the name for your boat - Insomnia, it has given you loads of sleepless nights thus far !!;)

As Hector would say - "Keep it lit" !!

• Advertisement

As Hector would say - "Keep it lit" !!

Jesus don't get me started on that spoon! :D

@Fergal,

leanto is going ahead. I need a place that's dry, I need a place for fuel, kennel etc. As it is, I have nowhere, so I'm going to bite the bullet on it.

I can no longer work on that boat out in the paddock. Everything is soaked all the time, my work table is rotting away, I can't bring timber down there to work on cos it's too wet. The ground is mucky all the time. I hate running 230v down that paddock and then walking on it, dogs around it etc.

I think you are right, a dry area to work will enhance to way you look at that very work, it will inspire you.

No one wants to work in the wet.
    Jesus don't get me started on that spoon! :D

:D:D You got that right ! I'd have used the word Spanner !!

I think you are right, a dry area to work will enhance to way you look at that very work, it will inspire you.

No one wants to work in the wet.

:D:D You got that right ! I'd have used the word Spanner !!

+1.

A decent leanto will be like adding a room. A dry area for all sorts of things. Not least sitting out under it on a rainy summers evening, with a cuppa, a rocking chair, looking out at the lake and the glorious sound of rain hitting the roof overhead. I'm lookiong forward to it for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

A decent leanto will be like adding a room. A dry area for all sorts of things. Not least sitting out under it on a rainy summers evening, with a cuppa, a rocking chair, looking out at the lake and the glorious sound of rain hitting the roof overhead. I'm lookiong forward to it for that alone.

But when you have the boat inside it, will you have that much room left to work around?

Go back to your google etch-a-sketch and put in a rough estimation of the boat, just to see.

If it's too tight, then Feargal's point about leaving the boat outside might be considered. You'll still leave yourself a nice workshop area for making bits of furniture etc

The producers have been in conference with the networks all day. They have battled out a new deal for a spin off series

"A lean-To tale". First episode just aired over in the DIY forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

Thanks dnme, this thread is just getting better and better. I always look forward to checking in during the day. Keep up the great work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭meercat

dnme
    just came across this thread(found link in diy)
    never had much interest in boats to be honest
    but i have to say i am heartened to see all the support and encouragement you are receiving
    as other ,more knowledgeable posters have said already
    its looking good,keep it up and your time and efforts will pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

The producers have been in conference with the networks all day. They have battled out a new deal for a spin off series

"A lean-To tale". First episode just aired over in the DIY forum.

Heard that crowd can be a bit rough over there dnme be careful.:)

wush06 wrote: »
    Heard that crowd can be a bit rough over there dnme be careful.:)

ahh yes, I'm swimming in shark infested waters now. :cool: But I can't help it. I've become a post junkie....I need a fix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 NewHope

neyessssss! I'm not so sure! What in gods name have I started?:D

@jimmmy and @Newhope, I trust you both have day jobs?:D:D

Got a job working mad shifts, days, nights and weekends for an American company?
    Love your guts and determination man. Your audience/ fan base are growing daily. Anyone on face book, please copy and paste OUR link. We can promote dnme and his project as an example to everyone, what can be achieved on a shoe string budget in a recession when you have the will and determination to fulfil a goal. Good luck man.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭wush06

ahh yes, I'm swimming in shark infested waters now. :cool: But I can't help it. I've become a post junkie....I need a fix.

Wait till they read about the beast.

I'll get the popcorn ready. :D

NewHope wrote: »
    Got a job working mad shifts, days, nights and weekends for an American company?
    Love your guts and determination man. Your audience/ fan base are growing daily. Anyone on face book, please copy and paste OUR link. We can promote dnme and his project as an example to everyone, what can be achieved on a shoe string budget in a recession when you have the will and determination to fulfil a goal. Good luck man.

God bless us one and all !!:p

Don't spread the thread too far and wide, I don't want any of my crazy ass family finding this :D (I'm serious!!! :D:D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Just a thought I came upon the other day sitting in my truck cab in a random nameless village in the rain last week. In a country where it rains 90% of the time (in a purely vertical manner mostly) why isnt there a veranda/gazebo culture here? I dont know any public park that has a gazebo so if it looks overcast and cloudy I'll just avoid going for a walk as its inevitable that I'll get wet.
    Seriously, try walking in any park in the rain, there isnt an ounce of shelter. The only public shelter you find on any streets are bus shelters. In Houses the only place I have ever put in open sided shelters is at the front door. Personally I love the idea of being able to have a bar-b-q on a still drizzly day not just when its perfectly dry with a clear sky. It would also be nice to have somewhere to put my swinging chair, you know where one could sit and play a bit of banjo:D,

I applaud your decision to put up the lean-to its a simple blatently obvious practical approach to living in Ireland. Might follow on with one myself:D

you know where one could sit and play a bit of banjo:D

Now, there's a name for your boat dnme - Deliverance :eek::eek:

Squeal like a pig !!:D

I'm aware of the rules, profanity and offending people etc but......

In my mind, I alway ssaw it being called RUNT. Again using that old keyboard where the r and c keys got mixed up.

Just imagine it. Can you see it steaming into some posh harbour, say Fahan, or Dunlaoghaire, all those upper middle Henry's and Henrietta's out on deck enjoying their margarita's. Then along scurries my nasty cheap little thing. Then they see the name beautifully engraved on each side of the bow. "RUNT".

Everytime I think of it, I piss myself:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hey dnme, I posted about the lean-to over in DIY but I thought I would add here that I have the wiring diagram for trailer lights here, I can scan and attach it on a post here if you want it?

Shane

Hey dnme, I posted about the lean-to over in DIY but I thought I would add here that I have the wiring diagram for trailer lights here, I can scan and attach it on a post here if you want it?

Shane

Thanks Shane. I have a lightboard that just plugs into car towbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dnme. fwiw I know it can be really hard sometimes to keep at a project.

I built my own campervan, and it was hard graft I can tell you. Same as you, I had a thread going about it here and when I was finding it tough, I'd post up and no one would bother replying or thanking me at all and I'd be wondering 'whats the feckin point of this at all'. Many times I felt like putting a match to the blasted thing.

For one reason or another I ended up taking a break of about three months from the van over last winter. I can honestly tell you it was the best thing ever. It gave me great perspective and motiviation to finish the job.

I remember I would be looking at the same job needing doing and it would be staring me in the face. I'd ignore it simply because I couldn't face it for weeks on end. After the break it was still there but my attitude for tackling it was much different.

I know its easier said than done, but you need to keep the faith. If you bin the whole thing, you will end up kicking yourself in the long run.

Best of luck, and I'll be checking in here again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Jack_regan

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2518230
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2518277

Just saw this trailer for sale on donedeal. Not sure if it's of any interest, looks like it has brakes, doesn't say if they're working though. I've no connection to it, just saw it while browsing. I think the guy who is selling it has a few different trailers for sale if you just open the boats section on done deal they are on the first page.

Advertisement