Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

shels4ever wrote: »
    Here are some of my current times.

2008 Raheny 5
    48 mins (18 stone fat ****)
    63 mins Bupa 10k
    56 mins Bhaa
    half marathon 1:59
    4 mile 28:40
    5k 20:30
    2 mile 12:34
    3k 11:35
    10k 52 mins
    nothing
    5 mile 35:18

Interesting reading there Shels - I'm sure that data could be a huge motivating factor for newbies!
    You have come a long way from 2008! I'm still trying to compute 2009 though...slow HM time versus much, much quicker 5k...I'll assume early year HM and late year 5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

belcarra wrote: »
    Interesting reading there Shels - I'm sure that data could be a huge motivating factor for newbies!
    You have come a long way from 2008! I'm still trying to compute 2009 though...slow HM time versus much, much quicker 5k...I'll assume early year HM and late year 5k?

2009 I did the half in March , then the summer raced loads over 2 miles 5k so the miles in the legs really helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Yep I agree, The only problem is not racing , I know long term is the way to go , but I get more enjoyment out of running a 5mile then any 10 mile and half. Saying that I know that I i want to run a fast 5 mile race your plan is the way to go.

How about getting back into running in the next week if all going well, pick 1 race either 10m or half marathon somewhere and use it as a benchmark, then start training for waterford?

I know where you are coming from, I love racing myself and if I could would race every day. Using a race as a benchmark is all well and good assuming it doesn't result in injury.

How about train away for next 4 weeks and if all goes well run BHAA 10k hardish. Not so much a race but more a hard sustained effort. Then take it from there. I know it's good to have a race to look forward to but you don't want it to result in injury!

I know where you are coming from, I love racing myself and if I could would race every day. Using a race as a benchmark is all well and good assuming it doesn't result in injury.

How about train away for next 4 weeks and if all goes well run BHAA 10k hardish. Not so much a race but more a hard sustained effort. Then take it from there. I know it's good to have a race to look forward to but you don't want it to result in injury!
    Yep sound like a plan, It would be perfect had there been a half marathon on the last week of september, as the pace i'd plan to run shoulnt cause a problem. Its once I get down to sub 7 pace that issue occur. Will play it by ear and if the legs are perfect I'll run the Bhaa 10k. Something similar to how I run the XC early in the year, not full out races.

Friday 19th
    1 hour easy at lunch, really enjoyed this run.

Sat 20th
    30 mins easy had a feed of beer last night so took it extra easy today. Early night tonight and will go a little longer tomorrow. Back to counting in miles next week.

• Advertisement

Sunday 22nd
    85 mins easy on grass, pace was very very slow and stopped after 40 mins for a good stretch. Think I tire quick when running slow

Monday 22 August
    Got out for a lunch time run only to arrive in the park with no runners, All I had in the boot of the car was a pair of spikes, not a chance of me putting them on for a good while now. So back to the office all annoyed....

Managed to get out for 40 mins easy along the canal last night.

Tuesday 23rd August
    7 miles (aprox) easy on grass today with another Berlin injury victim, First run that I've actually felt like i've done a run in a couple of weeks. Finially starting to recover mentally and hope to push on again.

Wed 24th August
    6 mile easy run around Corkagh , kept the pace slow again today but these runs are starting to feel very easy again.

Thursday 25th August.

Rest day.

Friday 26th August.

No car today so needed to get in and out of work on foot.

AM
    4 mile jog/walk to the office. This was extra extra slow.

PM
    6.5 miles home and a few extra miles along the canal.

• Advertisement

Sat 27th August

5 miles very easy on Sat evening, Wasnt feeling great due to piles and piles of junk food and a kids birthday. Was nice to get out at the end of the day.

Sunday 28th August
    10 miles easy, kept this very slow to start with but felt really tired for the last few miles, just wasn't feeling the love on this run.

Monday 29th August
    5 miles on road today, wasn't able to make the park so popped along the road, needed to stop agter 2 miles to slow the pace down a little. Legs feel great. Have to get a bit of a structure into the next few weeks as i'm liable to just into any race now... have foudn myself looking at 3mile and 2 mile races this week.. but need to keep away....

Monday 29th August
    Have to get a bit of a structure into the next few weeks as i'm liable to just into any race now... have foudn myself looking at 3mile and 2 mile races this week.. but need to keep away....
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

Calm the F**K down is right. Running fast miles is the reason you got injured. Jump into a 2/3 mile race now and you can write off the next 6 months. You will be back to square one or maybe even minus one. :cool:

I'm on the way down to your gaf now to give you a slap.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

Calm the F**K down is right. Running fast miles is the reason you got injured. Jump into a 2/3 mile race now and you can write off the next 6 months. You will be back to square one or maybe even minus one. :cool:

I'm on the way down to your gaf now to give you a slap.

I did a quick 2 miles to get out of my house before you arrived and popped the right calf now too ;)
    Won't be racing this week for sure, just going to increase the mileage back to about 44 miles with 11/12 on sunday.

Won't be racing this week for sure, just going to increase the mileage back to about 44 miles with 11/12 on sunday.

Hmm I heard about your cunning plan to run under an alias!

Hmm I heard about your cunning plan to run under an alias!
    :D
    I was wondering when that would get back to you!

Haven't really been enjoying the runs the last couple of weeks, so happy enough with getting out each day.

Tuesday
    8 miles very easy

Wed 31st August
    6 miles easier

Thursday 1st September
    Rest day

Diet had gone to crap this week, with a few work nights out and free food and drink.

The is a work 5k tomorrow in Tymon park but I will be keeping away from that, a sub 20 would prob be good enough for a top 3 finish, but better to come back and hammer them all next year when fit.

Probably hard to skip work race but you've more to lose than gain by doing it. Glad to see some sense :)

Probably hard to skip work race but you've more to lose than gain by doing it. Glad to see some sense :)
    Yep more so when the calf is feeling good. But that can change very quickly.

Friday 2nd September
    Left the car in work and did a nice 6.5 mile run home.

Sat 3rd September
    A few to many beers last night ment today run was goin to be a bit of a problem. Free bars and running just dont go well together. 4 slow miles back to the office to pick up the car.

• Advertisement

Sunday 4th September

Needed to cut today run short because of work, but best feeling in weeks.

8 miles @8:50 pace felt like running fast for the last few miles but held back. Now to watch Craggy do the business.

Monday 5th September
    Plan was for 6 miles easy, but found it hard to keep the pace slow. Called it a day at 5 miles as the pace was just a little to quick, better safe than sorry.

Have moved up to the M35 class from yeaterday so wonder what race i'll line up in.

Starting to get into some soft of groove in my training again, and no sign of that pesky injury.

5 miles @ 8:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Happy birthday :D

Tuesday 6th September.
    Move my rest day to Today as I wasnt feeling 100% some stomach issue might have made for a tricky run.

Wed 7th September
    5 miles easy today, feeling alot better today and enjoyed this run. Not a single person in my park today.

Thursday 8th
    6 miles easy.

Friday 7th
    Felt really drained all day. Decided to take today off as I feel a cold coming on.

Sat 8th
    6 miles easy plan was to keep it very easy but for the first 3 miles I was running way to fast. Turned the gamin off and slowed the pace down.

Sunday 11th September
    9 mils easy. Had planned to do ten miles but as the title of the post suggests pace was all over the shop today. Maybe a mix of low mileage has the legs a little to fresh. First two miles were nice and easy but the pace was far to fast after that.

Need to stop at 4 miles just to slow down. Turned off the garmin again and jogged the last 5 miles really slow.

Not going to run Dublin marathon now as there are lots of XC races that i'd have to give up. That was one of the reason I was going to run Berlin. So the bulid up to Waterford starts now going to run as many of the BHAA XC races as possible along the way and have some fun.

Monday 12 th September
    6 windy miles. Really enjoyed this run conditions were a lot better then expected.
    6 miles @ 9 m/m

Tuesday 13th September
    Rest day

Wed 14th September
    Really enjoyable 7 miles in the park today, pace was really slow for the first 4 miles but increased over the last 3. Really want to keep running today....

Thursday 16th September
    7 miles easy, feeling better after every run, Hamstring a little stiff today from sitting in an office all day. Decided to leave the garmin at home today and will do so for the next week or two.

• Advertisement

Friday 16th September
    5.5 easy miles tonight, First run on grass this year that has finished in total darkness :(

Advertisement