Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    ah ok, loads doing berlin. Its what i probably would have done if i was racing another marathon this year. Whats the pb like ect....
    Had a look at your last couple of months training and it looks very solid. I see most of my bitches post in here alot (brianderunner and meno):D

Marathons are my downfall so don't really count the 2 that i've done so far both involved 10+ mile walks to the finish. Fastest was 4:29 back in '99 but didnt train well for that.
    This will be the first propper marathon .

Thursday 14th
    6 miles easy today, legs are feeling a lot better but still kept the pace slow.

Friday 15th July
    5 miles easy on grass today, had company for today run which was nice, legs are starting to come back to life and the only pain was from a toe nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

so are you racing tomorrow or what? If you're 100% you should race. If you are worried about injury don't. None of this "I'm using it as a training run" bullcrap. You could do that on your own in your local park and not have the hassle of 6,300 people milling around you.

so are you racing tomorrow or what? If you're 100% you should race. If you are worried about injury don't. None of this "I'm using it as a training run" bullcrap. You could do that on your own in your local park and not have the hassle of 6,300 people milling around you.[/QUOTE]

You mean having 5700 people following me around the course ;)

Yep I'm racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

None of this "I'm using it as a training run" bullcrap. You could do that on your own in your local park and not have the hassle of 6,300 people milling around you.

Flying in from a foreign country just to use it as a training run is the way to go imo :p

Shels whats your target assuming no injuries? You gonna try and follow Meno, he's going for 33:55.

Flying in from a foreign country just to use it as a training run is the way to go imo :p

Oh jesus that is even worse;). Nothing wrong with using a race as a training run. But when it has been penciled in as a target race you either do it or you don't.

Shels whats your target assuming no injuries? You gonna try and follow Meno, he's going for 33:55.

That would be a safe option, but think i'll be going out about 33:20 pace and see if I can hold on.

It's a race I don't follow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

shels4ever wrote: »
    That would be a safe option, but think i'll be going out about 33:20 pace and see if I can hold on.

It's a race I don't follow ;)

And the only kick you'll have left going up the Kyber is the one Meno gives you in the ass on the way by. Best of luck!

And the only kick you'll have left going up the Kyber is the one Meno gives you in the ass on the way by. Best of luck!

I'll worry about the kyber when I get there. Sure its only and 800m drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'll worry about the kyber when I get there.

Same plan as myself, gonna make the best of 2-4.

I'll worry about the kyber when I get there. Sure its only and 800m drag.

That's all it is, people have given the Kyber legendary status, yes it's tough but as long as you haven't gone crazy you shouldn't loose too much time. Anyway Shels the drag up to the car park in Corkagh is comparable to the Kyber. Anybody who is afraid of the Kyber should grow a pair or introduce some moderate hills into their training.

A big fat DNF today. Calf problems at 3.5 miles so race came to an early end. First reaction was that it was a fairly bad problem. Have been on ice the last while and feeling a bit more positive. No major area of pain in the calf just a tight section so fingers crossed.

On the plus side 3.4 miles at 6.40 pace.

For what its worth splits up until I stopped.
    1. 6:35
    2. 6:44
    3. 6:41
    4. 2:49

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

A big fat DNF today. Calf problems at 3.5 miles so race came to an early end. First reaction was that it was a fairly bad problem. Have been on ice the last while and feeling a bit more positive. No major area of pain in the calf just a tight section so fingers crossed.

On the plus side 3.4 miles at 6.40 pace.
    Man you ve no luck, your training has been brilliant lately. Is it the same calf as always? There must be an underlying problem/scar tissue from before. Nightmare that it keeps going.Sorry to hear that

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Man you ve no luck, your training has been brilliant lately. Is it the same calf as always? There must be an underlying problem/scar tissue from before. Nightmare that it keeps going.Sorry to hear that

Yep same one, but hasn't totally gone but close to it, Will chill for a day or two and have booked into the physio already, Don't think its going to be a big problem, but I wont be running any more shorter races until after berlin and no sub 7 min/mile running until the Autumn.
    A few positives to take from todays one, i like Geard65s reaction just after I passed him :)

Now that's a bitch, unlucky.
    At least you have it under control and it shouldn't set you back cause you're flying.

Woddle wrote: »
    Now that's a bitch, unlucky.
    At least you have it under control and it shouldn't set you back cause you're flying.
    Yep not a happy camper today, almost stopped off to get a load of cans on the way home and get a chinese tonight, but decided not to do that. Bike it out for a long cycle if i'm ok.
    Was happy with my splits upto that point 6:35, 6:44 and 6:41 think i would have been in a world of pain for the last 1.5 miles but would have smashed my pb again, so will stick with the training plan as its been working really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

A few positives to take from todays one, i like Geard65s reaction just after I passed him :)
    'I'll use this guy as a windbreak for a while, what the f**k is that shels?, it is:eek:. 'What are you doing up here?':D
    Bummer on the calf, you were moving really well up to that.

Yep not a happy camper today, almost stopped off to get a load of cans on the way home and get a chinese tonight, but decided not to do that. Bike it out for a long cycle if i'm ok.
    Was happy with my splits upto that point 6:35, 6:44 and 6:41 think i would have been in a world of pain for the last 1.5 miles but would have smashed my pb again, so will stick with the training plan as its been working really well.

I'd say you must have run your fastest 5km in a couple of years?

I have me Pear bulmers all set for tonight :D

Woddle wrote: »
    I'd say you must have run your fastest 5km in a couple of years?

I have me Pear bulmers all set for tonight :D
    Ran 20:35 I think in 2009 and would have been very close to this today, 3 miles in 19:59 so prob a 20:40/45 5k I guess.

• Advertisement

gerard65 wrote: »
    'I'll use this guy as a windbreak for a while, what the f**k is that shels?, it is:eek:. 'What are you doing up here?':D
    Bummer on the calf, you were moving really well up to that.
    I tried to sneek by on your left as I knew you would react, what time did you finish in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I tried to sneek by on your left as I knew you would react, what time did you finish in?
    34:12. The achilles started giving out after 3 miles so I had to ease off a bit, the first sign of a hill and its complaining:rolleyes:

gerard65 wrote: »
    34:12. The achilles started giving out after 3 miles so I had to ease off a bit, the first sign of a hill and its complaining:rolleyes:
    Ah pity though you would have gone close to 33:00

Last two days i've done nothing but sit on the sofa with the leg up on ice, and things are looking very good so far, Calf is in fairly good condition but need to find the cause of this pesky problem.

Tightness is almost gone today and there is 100% no tear to the calf so I'm feeling good. Have booked in for a session tomorrow evening but won't run until after that. Though about doing a jog\walk today but 1 or 2 days missed wont kill me.

Though about doing a jog\walk today but 1 or 2 days missed wont kill me.

correct and somebody would kill you if they spotted you out running.

Have you looked to see if you can find any strengthening exercises for the calf? Standing on a step with your heel hanging off the back and moving up on to your tipee toes and back down.

get cracking
    linky

correct and somebody would kill you if they spotted you out running.

Have you looked to see if you can find any strengthening exercises for the calf? Standing on a step with your heel hanging off the back and moving up on to your tipee toes and back down.

get cracking
    linky
    Been doing that almost every day for the last 6 months(maybe not every day but 4 to 5 times a week), thats what makes it more frustrating. I've almost put as much time into stretching etc as I have running.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Hows the leg now mark?

foleyalan wrote: »
    Hows the leg now mark?

The leg is getting alot better, had a good session with the physio last night and will get out today for a few miles to see how its going. Will keep the running easy this week and should be 100% by the end of the week.

Have a few things to work on now at buliding up the area so think the problem is coming from my foot.

Wed 20th July
    30 mins easy on grass today to test out the leg, It's a little tender from last night but feels very good today. Will take the rest of the week very easy and get back into the hard stuff again next week.
    Think the 2:14 for berlin is out the window so the target now is 3:29:59....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Wed 20th July
    Think the 2:14 for berlin is out the window so the target now is 3:29:59....

I hope you do it.

Advertisement