Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you planning to make up for the lack of booze or dancing in Berlin? Not sure I want to witness it if the latter :pac:

I have a feeling I won't be able to walk never mind dance for a few days after berlins. Doms and crystal weiss beer will make sure of that :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shels4ever wrote: »
    But planning on making up for it in Berlin.
    Something like this?

5939783402_677c154af6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Something like this?

5939783402_677c154af6.jpg

He'll have a lot of catching up to do on the rest of us. We should at least 2 pints in by the time he finishes (neither of which i'll be paying for) :p

He'll have a lot of catching up to do on the rest of us. We should at least 2 pints in by the time he finishes (neither of which i'll be paying for) :p

Some of you should be getting 4/5 in before I finish ;) But remember its a marathon session not a sprint .. no going home early!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Sounds like Brian is planning on dropping out of marathon early ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sounds like Brian is planning on dropping out of marathon early ;)

wouldn't be the first time.:D

Wed 10th August
    4.5 miles easy on grass today, will need to start to ramp thing up at the end of this week and get back to normal. If not plan b might be called on.

Thursday 11th August.
    50 mins easy on road today kept the pace nice and easy.

Thursday 11th August.
    50 mins easy on road today kept the pace nice and easy.

:eek: stay on the grass if possible for the next 10-14 days.

:eek: stay on the grass if possible for the next 10-14 days.

Grass has it's downside to with the uneven surface causing some little problems. But trying to get most of my running on grass still.

• Advertisement

Friday 12th August.
    1 hour easy on grass, was a great day to be running today. Perfect conditions and just a nice bit of rain.

Sat 13th August
    1.5 miles cycle , just needed to give the calf a rest as it's been 5 running days in a row.

Have been thinking about the way things have gone in the past few days/weeks and the plan this year was to run as fast as I can for a marathon. That won't happen in Berlin now so i've decided skip berlin. Just cant face getting injured propper now and missing 3 months. So I will ease back into the running and run Dublin in 11 weeks time.

I know I could run Berlin and get around but that just doesn't appeal to me it's all or nothing. Maybe i'm just a bit up myself but I do think I can do better then just getting around.

Training Plan B kicks in Monday ;)

You'll just have to come for the Berlin session so.

Sunday 14th August.
    Didn't sleep well last night, so at 6:30 went out for an easy hours run then back to bed :).
    Didn't feel great running this early and with lack of sleep, but felt great after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sat 13th August
    1.5 miles cycle , just needed to give the calf a rest as it's been 5 running days in a row.

Have been thinking about the way things have gone in the past few days/weeks and the plan this year was to run as fast as I can for a marathon. That won't happen in Berlin now so i've decided skip berlin. Just cant face getting injured propper now and missing 3 months. So I will ease back into the running and run Dublin in 11 weeks time.

I know I could run Berlin and get around but that just doesn't appeal to me it's all or nothing. Maybe i'm just a bit up myself but I do think I can do better then just getting around.

Such a shame but at least Berlin has you on the road to a sub 1:25 half. Must have been a tough decision but a sensible one. You going to attack the x country season?

Woddle wrote: »
    Such a shame but at least Berlin has you on the road to a sub 1:25 half. Must have been a tough decision but a sensible one. You going to attack the x country season?

Yep very hard but the right call I think. Will train away and then see how dublin goes. All going well then will have an easy month in November and then set a few pb's, will then race as many XC races as possible. But not going to set any targets or plan to far in advance for now.

1:25 :eek: still a long way from that shape and prob 10kg stll.

Sorry to hear that, are you gonna go anyway? Any old tit can get around, your better than that.

Good luck with the Dublin training, just don't target 3'45, one of the pacers is about 3/1 to make it to the finish ;)

Sorry to hear that, are you gonna go anyway? Any old tit can get around, your better than that.

Good luck with the Dublin training, just don't target 3'45, one of the pacers is about 3/1 to make it to the finish ;)
    Not going to set any targets from now on just going to see how the body holds up. Have talked the brother into running dublin now i think, so a sit and kick plan might have to be used.(I may need to site about 2 miles back at the 20 but still.)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Not going to set any targets from now on just going to see how the body holds up. Have talked the brother into running dublin now i think, so a sit and kick plan might have to be used.(I may need to site about 2 miles back at the 20 but still.)

NO YOU HAVEN'T

foleyalan wrote: »
    NO YOU HAVEN'T
    Changed your mind from yesterday ? ... everyone else is running go on.....

• Advertisement

Tuesday 16th 1 hour easy nothing to really report.

Wed 17th 1 hour easy on grass again. Pace felt good but after my shower had some stiffness in my calf.. Wait !! thats my good calf not the injured one.. Feck think I should just give up on this whole running lark.

If I was a horse I'd be sent to the glue factory long ago.

Wed 17th
    1 hour easy again, happy to be getting out each day now. All going well will start to build up from next week. But main thing is to keep running injury free.

Wed 17th
    1 hour easy again, happy to be getting out each day now. All going well will start to build up from next week. But main thing is to keep running injury free.

Good to see your back running regularly again. You gonna do the frank duffy as a training run anyway? If your bro is running tell him to tie his shoelaces properly this year ;)

Good to see your back running regularly again. You gonna do the frank duffy as a training run anyway? If your bro is running tell him to tie his shoelaces properly this year ;)
    Nope wont be doing it, didn't register for it once the calf started giving problems. Have a work party tomorrow so will have a few beers and will be found shouting abuse at the runner on the S bends for a few hours on Sat morning. Hope you don't get "ideas above your station" during the race as there will be a queue of people ready to point that out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

If your bro is running tell him to tie his shoelaces properly this year ;)

Not running it this year. I've learnt to tie my laces properly now:D.

Thursday 18th
    Rest day. Body is starting to feel alot better,but feeling a bit fat at the moment havent put on any weight so its just down to lack of running. Will start to build up next week with a bit more structure and see how things go.
    Started to get ideas of skipping the marathon altogether now and starting to build up some speed slowly, but another 500 easy miles in the legs will do me more good.

Thursday 18th
    Started to get ideas of skipping the marathon altogether now and starting to build up some speed slowly, but another 500 easy miles in the legs will do me more good.

Might be a good idea to skip marathon however you should forget totally about speed work. The only reason you are injured is because you were running miles (chasing Gerard65 if the truth is known) at a faster than normal pace. If you look back at every injury you've recently had it's a result of doing something fast. I'm not saying don't ever do fast stuff again but you need to get into the condition where there is less stress on your calf while at the same time building the strength/flexibility of the calf muscle up. It might involve a 12 month outlook but it's the only way you will run faster. Don't believe me? Map out your PBs for the last 3-5 years and see if there have been any massive improvements.

You need to get consistent 50 mile weeks going again, at least if you have an end goal such as the marathon it keeps you focused and motivated. As I said skipping the marathon all together may not be a bad idea however as you could make the Waterford half marathon a new goal race. Would also mean your long runs needn't go over 13-15 miles a week.

I'm all about the tough love these days :)

Might be a good idea to skip marathon however you should forget totally about speed work. The only reason you are injured is because you were running miles (chasing Gerard65 if the truth is known) at a faster than normal pace. If you look back at every injury you've recently had it's a result of doing something fast. I'm not saying don't ever do fast stuff again but you need to get into the condition where there is less stress on your calf while at the same time building the strength/flexibility of the calf muscle up. It might involve a 12 month outlook but it's the only way you will run faster. Don't believe me? Map out your PBs for the last 3-5 years and see if there have been any massive improvements.

You need to get consistent 50 mile weeks going again, at least if you have an end goal such as the marathon it keeps you focused and motivated. As I said skipping the marathon all together may not be a bad idea however as you could make the Waterford half marathon a new goal race. Would also mean your long runs needn't go over 13-15 miles a week.

I'm all about the tough love these days :)
    Yep that idea is on the table for sure, Had a very similar e-mail from a ghost from boards yesterday with similar advise.

Pb's over the last few years ar muck to be honest, and I would expect that I'd run a pb from 3k to half marathon next week just of the base of the last couple of months. To be honest 50 mile weeks were becoming fairly easy and this week i'll run 40 mins with basically no effort.

My thinking on how to prevent the injury are fairly simple at the moment, drop another 10kg, I think the stress I put on my calf is to much to handle and a racing weight should be about 13'2 or lower , when i'm 14'3 at the moment. So what I was thinking was 50 mile weeks plus 2-3 horus on the bike each week. Should take care of that.

This along with stretching and a very slow introduction to faster running. Have been reading up alot on this and there isn't really a simple solution other then the gradual introduction speed. Starting with strides and introduction of hills. Ironically the things that cause the injury can also be the fix if introduce correctly.

Just for some fun here my last couple of years racing. Late 2009 was the best I have run in a while but that was due to marathon miles, again 2011 I would run pb's jsut of lots and lots of easy miles.

You know yoruself I'm not a huge fan of the Marathon, So have no problem in skipping that this year totally but do want to be getting a 15 mile run 3 out of ever 4 weeks.

Here are some of my current times.

2008 Raheny 5
    48 mins (18 stone fat ****)
    63 mins Bupa 10k
    56 mins Bhaa
    half marathon 1:59
    4 mile 28:40
    5k 20:30
    2 mile 12:34
    3k 11:35
    10k 52 mins
    nothing
    5 mile 35:18

What I think I can run now with a few weeks injury free running. (won't be trying this)
    2 mile 12:10/20
    4 mile 27:00
    5 mile 33:30

Bring on the tough love, far to much sugar coated love on this board :)

What I think I can run now with a few weeks injury free running. (won't be trying this)
    2 mile 12:10/20
    4 mile 27:00
    5 mile 33:30

These are irrelevant. Maybe you could run them but I'm sure they would mess you up do glad to hear they are not on the agenda. I have times in my head that I think I could run but they are meaningless unless I do them. Instead of spouting times you think you can run why not set 3 monthly intermediate goals and go out and run them.

For Example

December: half marathon 1.45. Train for this don't try to run faster. Will shift a good chunk of that 10kg you want to lose.

March: Another half marathon or 10 miler (Ballycotton): 1.37 for half or 75ish for 10 mile.

That's 6 months of a good base with just easy running. No need to do fast sessions for you to run those times. By then your weight will be ideal and you can push on for some faster stuff if you want.

What you don't want to do is get back into the grove start doing speed work and then missing out on months of training.

• Advertisement

These are irrelevant. Maybe you could run them but I'm sure they would mess you up do glad to hear they are not on the agenda. I have times in my head that I think I could run but they are meaningless unless I do them. Instead of spouting times you think you can run why not set 3 monthly intermediate goals and go out and run them.

For Example

December: half marathon 1.45. Train for this don't try to run faster. Will shift a good chunk of that 10kg you want to lose.

March: Another half marathon or 10 miler (Ballycotton): 1.37 for half or 75ish for 10 mile.

That's 6 months of a good base with just easy running. No need to do fast sessions for you to run those times. By then your weight will be ideal and you can push on for some faster stuff if you want.

What you don't want to do is get back into the grove start doing speed work and then missing out on months of training.

Yep I agree, The only problem is not racing , I know long term is the way to go , but I get more enjoyment out of running a 5mile then any 10 mile and half. Saying that I know that I i want to run a fast 5 mile race your plan is the way to go.

How about getting back into running in the next week if all going well, pick 1 race either 10m or half marathon somewhere and use it as a benchmark, then start training for waterford?

Advertisement