Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

carinabean wrote: »
    Hi, bit random I seen this... the person who your talking about is one of my best friends, just thought id let ya know that he's in hospital and doing better! smile.gif

Tell him that he's a muppet, and not to be paying 240 quid to be climbing trees!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

stoksyXL wrote: »
    Tell him that he's a muppet, and not to be paying 240 quid to be climbing trees!

This ends now. You know no details about this. So less of the snide comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

old gregg wrote: »
    ssssssshhhhhhhhhh don't call it a culture festival or the jazz heads will take it over :D:D:D

i'd rather jazz heads than electro heads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

danniemcq wrote: »
    i'd rather jazz heads than electro heads

nixon_quimby.gif

I eh, Concur

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Am thinking of going next year. Just one question, is it compulsory to wear crazy headwear at EP? Will i get in if i dont have something silly atop my ceann?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Am thinking of going next year. Just one question, is it compulsory to wear crazy headwear at EP? Will i get in if i dont have something silly atop my ceann?

They sell stupid hats inside, I had to buy a trilby to keep the sun (!) off my bonce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was never, ever ever an electronic festival, ever.

Alright, I went a bit over my head there, but is not devoid of electronic music either, in fact it has more electronic music than say, T in the Park and Oxegen and would be more akin to the likes of Scotlands RockNess festival, Glade festival and Bestival. Ok theres a lot of indie, pop and rock stuff at EP, but there has always been an interest in electronic music there, look at the Bodytonic tent, thats now more or less the Little Big Tent in what it caters for. Take a look at some of the line ups over the years, quite a bit is electronic.

2004: (cant get full info on line up) but hey Groove Armada, im sure there were others. Bodytonic.

2005: Kraftwerk, Fat Boy Slim, Royksopp, Soulwax / 2ManyDJs, Laurient Garnier, Human League, LCD Sound System, Vitalic, Hot Chip, Goldfrapp, Mr Scruff. Include here various stuff at Bodytonic, B & S and Rave in the Woods.

2006: New Order, Massive Attack, Pet Shop Boys, DJ Shadow, Sparks, Gary Numan, Cold Cut, Modeselektor. Bodytonic, B&S Rave in Woods

2007: Bjork, LCD, Chemical Brothers, Mia, Hexstatic, Paul Hartnoll, Ladytron, Unkle, Derrick Carter, Simian Mobile Disco. Plus Bodytonic, B & S and Rave in woods.

2008: Underworld, Herbaliser, Digitalism, Faust, Hadouken, Cut Copy, Crystal Castles. Plus Bodytonic (Moved to campsite), B&S,Rave in Woods.

2009: Orbital, 2ManyDJs, Basement Jaxx, MGMT, Alabama 3, Moderat, Four Tet, Magnetic Man, Nightmares in Wax. B&S and Rave in Woods.

2010: Leftfield, Fever Ray, LCD, Massive Attack, Bloody Beetroots, Crystal Castles, 808 State, Afro Celt Sound System. B&S and Rave in the Woods.

2011: **** Robot, Boys Noize, Death in Vegas, DJ Shadow, Paul Kalkbrenner, Chemical Brothers, Flying Lotus, Dave Clarke, Trentemoller, Underworld, Andy Weatherall. B&S- main stage from 2 onwards dance stuff, Earthship - Electro and Rave in the Woods.

Now these are maybe about a quarter of the overall line up bar 2008, but there is no denying that there is a strong electronic element to the Electric Picnic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Alright, I went a bit over my head there, but is not devoid of electronic music either, in fact it has more electronic music than say, T in the Park and Oxegen and would be more akin to the likes of Scotlands RockNess festival, Glade festival and Bestival. Ok theres a lot of indie, pop and rock stuff at EP, but there has always been an interest in electronic music there, look at the Bodytonic tent, thats now more or less the Little Big Tent in what it caters for. Take a look at some of the line ups over the years, quite a bit is electronic.

2004: (cant get full info on line up) but hey Groove Armada, im sure there were others. Bodytonic.

2005: Kraftwerk, Fat Boy Slim, Royksopp, Soulwax / 2ManyDJs, Laurient Garnier, Human League, LCD Sound System, Vitalic, Hot Chip, Goldfrapp, Mr Scruff. Include here various stuff at Bodytonic, B & S and Rave in the Woods.

2006: New Order, Massive Attack, Pet Shop Boys, DJ Shadow, Sparks, Gary Numan, Cold Cut, Modeselektor. Bodytonic, B&S Rave in Woods

2007: Bjork, LCD, Chemical Brothers, Mia, Hexstatic, Paul Hartnoll, Ladytron, Unkle, Derrick Carter, Simian Mobile Disco. Plus Bodytonic, B & S and Rave in woods.

2008: Underworld, Herbaliser, Digitalism, Faust, Hadouken, Cut Copy, Crystal Castles. Plus Bodytonic (Moved to campsite), B&S,Rave in Woods.

2009: Orbital, 2ManyDJs, Basement Jaxx, MGMT, Alabama 3, Moderat, Four Tet, Magnetic Man, Nightmares in Wax. B&S and Rave in Woods.

2010: Leftfield, Fever Ray, LCD, Massive Attack, Bloody Beetroots, Crystal Castles, 808 State, Afro Celt Sound System. B&S and Rave in the Woods.

2011: **** Robot, Boys Noize, Death in Vegas, DJ Shadow, Paul Kalkbrenner, Chemical Brothers, Flying Lotus, Dave Clarke, Trentemoller, Underworld. B&S- main stage from 2 onwards dance stuff, Earthship - Electro and Rave in the Woods.

Now these are maybe about a quarter of the overall line up bar 2008, but there is no denying that there is a strong electronic element to the Electric Picnic.

Wish it was 2005 again, what a line up, was it 240 euro back then???

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Wish it was 2005 again, what a line up, was it 240 euro back then???

It was only a two day fest then but punters could come Friday evening and set up camp, there was DJs and all night cafes set up all around the place.
    Proper live music kicked off on Saturday afternoon. The price was 145 euros if I recall for weekend camping ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

EP is officially known as an Arts, Music and Culture festival

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Betcha-by-golly-wow

What has it come to when people are stressing time to try to accuratley define such an awesome event such as Electric Picnic?

It is so many different things - to so many different people. It is what it is, and it is what you make it. There is no single box that EP can fit in to, stop trying.

Electric Picnic is more versatile than a PC. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tasha200

iamstop wrote: »
    Betcha-by-golly-wow

What has it come to when people are stressing time to try to accuratley define such an awesome event such as Electric Picnic?

It is so many different things - to so many different people. It is what it is, and it is what you make it. There is no single box that EP can fit in to, stop trying.

Electric Picnic is more versatile than a PC. End of.

One of the reasons why I would rather spend a few hundred and go abroad to party than go to a festival that 'shall not be articulated due to its awesomness' x :o

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This was my first "picnic" and it was amazing. I loved it. Went with two friends who have been a few times before and that helped. It was incredibly friendly, even (or especially!) on Friday when we all got soaked and it looked like we might be in for a weekend of it.

Friday night was, ironically, the best imho despite the awful weather.

Here's the weird thing though... almost everyone's descriptions of their festival seem like they were at a different one from me :)
    Even the people I went with were talking about how awesome The Family Stone were while I was telling them about watching a guy turning wood and how awesome the malaysian chicken was!

That was the best thing about it tbh, there was so much to do that even the huge crowds couldnt overwhelm it. I timed things well this year and barely queued for anything (a pet hate of mine :) )

I really wasnt sure about going this year but next year I'm a definite!

DeV.

My blog review of Electric Picnic 2011, Sunday details have still yet to be filled in but give me feedback anyway,tell me what ya think http://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/working-for-your-festival-ticket/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

I know a lot hated it, but god damn it was fun starting this with a few friends on friday morning/afternoon and seeing it take off :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb4A8ELDhzA

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

ando wrote: »
    I know a lot hated it, but god damn it was fun starting this with a few friends on friday morning/afternoon and seeing it take off :D

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

didnt hear it once the whole weekend strangely enough

When I heard it in the campsite it didnt really bother me, it reminded me of sheep in the countryside.

Meh, meh, meh - Alan, alan, alan.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Weren't you the lucky one......

*Sharpens rusty blade........ :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Literally my head was blown off at how much fun I had at electric picnic. I have been to three festivals before all outside of Ireland and all heavy metal festivals but my taste for music has opened up so gave this picnic a try and will be going for sure next year.

Best weekend ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Weren't you the lucky one......

*Sharpens rusty blade........ :mad:
    I'm sure about 50 different people all reckon they started it. It's only 3 or so years old.

What next, crazy frog?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm sure about 50 different people all reckon they started it. It's only 3 or so years old.

What next, crazy frog?

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

The Alan Steve thing didn't really bother me until I was hearing it at 6 in the morning and trying to get a small bit of sleep, when ever I heard it during the day I just shouted back DAN!!!! which confused everyone, people were looking looking at me like I was special. Some of the quotes on the facebook Overheard at Electric Picnic page are brilliant, definitely worth a read.

Seriously can't wait until EP 2012 already.

Would love to be doing this all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hugh2006

carinabean wrote: »
    Hi, bit random I seen this... the person who your talking about is one of my best friends, just thought id let ya know that he's in hospital and doing better! smile.gif

Cheers for the update, carinabean. Hope he makes a full recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hugh2006

2 Many DJs & Mylo played. Erick Morillo was there too. Cut Chemist & DJ Nu-Mark from J5 did a DJ set also (from my fuzzy recollection of '04). Twas a great little 1-dayer, apart from having to down a shoulder on the way in when I got searched, then proceeding to fall asleep for 30 mins under a tree only to wake up completely sober to find only Budweiser on sale at the beer tent. Boo-urns!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

hugh2006 wrote: »
    2 Many DJs & Mylo played. Erick Morillo was there too. Cut Chemist & DJ Nu-Mark from J5 did a DJ set also (from my fuzzy recollection of '04). Twas a great little 1-dayer, apart from having to down a shoulder on the way in when I got searched, then proceeding to fall asleep for 30 mins under a tree only to wake up completely sober to find only Budweiser on sale at the beer tent. Boo-urns!!!:(

Jurassic 5 played that day - the full group. Cut Chemist & DJ Nu-Mark came out with two old school turntables strapped to themselves and did their thang on them. Fairly class. Arrested development also played and Speech was out wandering around the crowd with his wife and kids after their set. Stopped for the chat in all.

This looks a defining moment at the Picnic, its a real pity I was working till 10 pm that day, fair play to the Wonky Palaeontology Crew for doing this, it looks amazing. Was this organised by the group or was it a spur of the moment thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Doinker wrote: »
    Jurassic 5 played that day - the full group. Cut Chemist & DJ Nu-Mark came out with two old school turntables strapped to themselves and did their thang on them. Fairly class. Arrested development also played and Speech was out wandering around the crowd with his wife and kids after their set. Stopped for the chat in all.

Great day - don't forget Grandmaster Flash! Loved being there for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

hugh2006 wrote: »
    Erick Morillo was there too.

He was awful. I remember geting a great spot at the front and staying all the way through him so I'd be up close for J5. Morillo went way over time and kept going despite being told to finish up a couple of times. Jurassic 5 had less stage time because of him.

His set at the end consisted of putting on Smells Like Teen Spirit and turning the volume up and down on it. Terrible.

Advertisement