Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

noone has mentioned the Sharon Shannon gig yet, thought it was fantastic, and Jack L coming on was brilliant.

my least favourite was pulp, was it the sound I dont know, but where we were the was a real lack of atmosphere, and there was less of a crowd than there was for undeworld prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

budgemook wrote: »
    does anyone know if the guy on the main stage of body and soul on sat about 3 was the singer from arcade fire?

No, Arcade Fire didn't get to the festival until a bit later in the day AFAIK.

Interview, out of interest, hope it's not already been posted.

The Alan/Steve dickheads were doing my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

memaul wrote: »
    brilliant weekend from start to finish. can anyone tell me the name of the band that was playing on sunday at around 6 (roughly). It was about 7 or 8 guys playing drums and bongos, one guy had a whistle. I thought they were excellent

That'd be Torann. They're drummers from Waterford who never fail to entertain! I would have been one of the sweaty topless guys at the front. It's just what happens when they play Waterford but there were definitely a few moments during the gig when I felt a bit out of place!

Had to rush over to ASIWYFA after that and didn't quite get the top back on so I stuck out like a sore thumb at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

Lesson of the day, don't be a muppet and start climing trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I had to leave clap your hands as I thought they showed a complete disrespect to the crowd by looking like they didn't want to be there. Disappointing. Here's a bit of footage I took of said disrespect

also what put me n a bad mood for these was I was smoking a cigarette behind an asshole blocking my view holding a sign "I have a right to health"...ironically he was fat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mogwai and Adebesi Shank blew me away. I'm a Mogwai fan so I might be a bit biased, but I thought they were incredible.

Had never heard of Adebesi Shank before, a friend of mine wanted to go so I said I'd tag along. After about 5 minutes I was absolutely hooked, and by the end of the gig I was absolutely blown away. Cannot wait to see them again.

Slept in the car on saturday and sunday night as i was fed up with the campsite.. Rain on friday night was absolutely miserable soaked me to the skin and i ended up going to bed early because of it.

didn't go to too much stuff on the main stage as the sound was terrible and it got REALLY cold from 6pm on, but caught Beirut on Sunday as the sun was going down and that was fantastic, and sauntered down to see toots and the maytals only to see Toots come on 15 minutes late, hum for three seconds and storm off again. Hugely disappointing.

Other honourable mentions go to the Undertones who played their first album from start to finish and were absolutely fantastic (as always), Kormac's new AV show was brilliant, Warpaint were decent and West Coast, while it took me a while to get into them, were brilliant by the end.

A great weekend, next time though it's campervan or BnB..

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

markfla wrote: »
    Here's some footage I took of ASIWYFA.....absolutely class

[/QUOTE

Great footage, what camera are you using?

Great footage, what camera are you using?

Panasonic Lumix...here's a link to one on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-TZ20-Digital-Camera/dp/B004I1KOIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315301977&sr=8-1

Here's footage I took of Arcade fire before Christmas to give you an idea of how good the zoom is

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I had to leave clap your hands as I thought they showed a complete disrespect to the crowd by looking like they didn't want to be there. Disappointing. Here's a bit of footage I took of said disrespect

also what put me n a bad mood for these was I was smoking a cigarette behind an asshole blocking my view holding a sign "I have a right to health"...ironically he was fat

I think they are notorious for it now. Saw them before and i was expecting them to change but they haven't. I left after about 10mins.

I also saw that sign since I spent my 10mins in the gig people watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Anyone think the whole kids go free thing was a huge mistake?

So many reasons kids shouldn't be in there.
    I remember seeing a baby being carried around in one of those back pack/baby carriers while the father had a cigarette in one hand and a can in another, it was very late and the music was very loud, then you look on the ground and see what a child could fall on or pick up.

Just seemed like a terrible idea to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

So tired...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Great weekend alround.

highlights:

Underworld DJ set at Arcadia on Sunday night. (anyone know who the band was on before them?)
    Meeting the young King Lannister (Prince Joffrey) from Game of thrones at Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
    Arcade Fire/Public Enemy/Chems on Sat night
    ASIWYFA
    The Rapture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I had the best weekend in years but your not gonna believe this, did not get to one gig, imagine, now saying that I came back on Sunday Afternoon. So much to do spent most of Sat Night in Body and Soul, feckin unreal, has changed so much since I was last there. Some crack in the double decker buses and the church, really amazing alltogether, cant wait to go back next year! Did you try the wonky bike, some crack trying to get from one side to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Highlights:-
    Friday:
    Foster the People / Twin Shadow / Santigold / Jerry Fish

Saturday:
    Undertones / The Maytals (even minus toots i really enjoyed them) / Midlake / OMD / Jape

Sunday:
    The Minutes / JVM / Drums / White Lies

The overall vibe was great again this year. A few of my friends got married in the inflatable church on Saturday which was great fun.

The food was so good, and it was really easy to sneak cans in past security. The body and soul was great, and the silent disco was good craic too.

Low Points:-
    Definately seemed to be a few more scobies there this year.
    The rain on Friday night
    Leaving Arcade fire on the saturday night after a few songs to head over to the salty dog to catch ham sandwich, only to get lost along the way and turn up when they were finished.

All in all, another great weekend. Will most likely go next year. defo need a month or so on the dry, my body still hurts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What a weekend. As above though I made it to nearly no gigs, Arcade Fire were amazing and other than that I spent quite a bit of time in Body and Soul. The chair-swing-merry-go-round type thing was so much fun, must have spent about 40 quid on it over the weekend :o

See you next year EP, cool little video below too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Had a good time, was my first EP so was quite excited beforehand and it lived up to it's reputation..

Musical highlights:

Might be boring to say I went to see many of the main stage acts, but I thoroughly enjoyed:

Interpol - Varied set, they were up for it, sound was good and the atmosphere was great I felt.

Lykke Li - saw quite a few differing reviews but I was fairly close to the front for her gig
    and she put on a really good show, not everyone's cup of tea but she is known for her dark side and she really is better suited to an indoor arena so I thought it was a good showing.

Beirut - Really enjoyed them, despite not knowing many of their songs.

Arcade Fire - incredible energy and all round performance, they were boss.

Pulp - Jarvis rolled back the years, great crowd interaction, he's got some moves for a man in his 40's! Great craic and the band sounded as good as ever. Sad to think it might be their last gig together.

James V McMorrow - amazingly impressive voice and put on a great show, shame about the noise from the back of the tent which was a bit distracting.

The Black Angels - really got the crowd into it, sounded brilliant, just caught the end and wished I'd seen much more of them.

Public Enemy - legendary act, thought they were giving it everything, sound was incredibly loud even at the very back, must have been mental up the front.

The Trinity Orchestra doing Daft Punk - great fun and they were really outstanding, anyone there will know what I mean,
    great start to to the day on Saturday (was it? :P)

Comedy: Karl Spain was quite poor (imo) and seemed to be getting laughs out of sympathy almost at the end, Joe Rooney got everyone laughing and it was a fun set, hadn't seen him do stand up live before and really enjoyed it.

The negatives:

I agree there did seem to be quite an amount of scumbags present.

We had a bottle of vodka and a jacket stolen from our tent, no big deal really but
    never a nice experience to know some asshole has been at your stuff.

Passed rather a long queue for the mobile Garda office at one point, from reading back through here, it seems there was a lot of robberies occurring, sad to hear this as I'd been told EP would be the opposite of Oxegen.

Chain weed and fag smokers at gigs, as a non-smoker I'm quite tolerant of second hand smoke but I don't understand people who have to have a fag in their hands every 5 mins as at almost every gig we seemed to be stuck beside a few people who seemed to be constantly puffing away which was really frustrating when you're trying to enjoy the performance but it can't be helped i suppose.

The twats who couldn't be arsed making the 30 second walk to the nearest tree and instead decided to relieve themselves about 2 yards from our tent in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Had a fantastic weekend!

However, The Chemical Brothers who I was looking forward to seeing most were a serious let down. The sound on the main stage was just terrible and there was no real atmosphere in the crowd, everyone seemed a bit subdued. Got myself right up the front for Underworld and enjoyed them far more.

Paul Kalkbrenner, Intinn and Boys Noize were my other highlights.

Lots of hidden gems there which were so enjoyable, found some small tent playing really groovey house music at about 4am on the Sunday. Only about 70 people inside but it was packed and everyone was loving it. Then on to the top deck of a bus which was a great laugh too.

I didn't think the weather was too bad, expected far far worse.

Will definitely be back next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

That was the best weekend ever. Loved Foster the People. The silent disco was great craic.

Great to see a lot of Boardsies there, maybe we should set up a tent for next year :P

How many more days to EP '12? :pac:

Go on the silent Disco! how are the gloves holding up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

also better say sorry for everyone who hated the ALAN/STEVE thing, i done that a lot....

There was a guy selling tea in the campsites walking around that was called Alan, he was good craic though even though his head was wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

danniemcq wrote: »
    Go on the silent Disco! how are the gloves holding up?

Heh, that was great craic and the gloves idea was full of win :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Was pretty close to the front for the Chemical Brothers. They were definately the musical highlight for me. Amazing visuals and everyone around us was well up for it. DJ Shadow was a distant 2nd.

Stayed in a Campervan. Don't think that I'd like to go back to camping.

Tired..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

AdMMM wrote: »
    That'd be Torann. They're drummers from Waterford who never fail to entertain! I would have been one of the sweaty topless guys at the front. It's just what happens when they play Waterford but there were definitely a few moments during the gig when I felt a bit out of place!

Had to rush over to ASIWYFA after that and didn't quite get the top back on so I stuck out like a sore thumb at them!

cheers for that.

yep i remember ye. i was the guy in the horses head stuck in the middle of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

I thought Clap Your Hands Say Yeah were great myself. My first time ever seeing them live after listening to them for years.

I certainly didn't think they were disrespectful towards the crowd. Indeed they said 'thank you, etc' and many occasions.

Overall I had a great weekend and loved the atmosphere inside the main venue. The campsites were a little messy at times but nothing like Oxegen.

Disappointing to hear about the robberies. But I still think 95% of the crowd are sound out and for that reason I'll still go every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Anyone think the whole kids go free thing was a huge mistake?

So many reasons kids shouldn't be in there.
    I remember seeing a baby being carried around in one of those back pack/baby carriers while the father had a cigarette in one hand and a can in another, it was very late and the music was very loud, then you look on the ground and see what a child could fall on or pick up.

Just seemed like a terrible idea to me.

It depends how responsible the parents are. I was there but don't stay out too late and when in the tents have ear protectors for the kids. I wouldn't be bringing them into death in vegas etc. The soul kids area is fantastic for kids and the craft areas/circus in the main arena are great too for kids.
    Sadly some parents are too selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Anybody know any websites where you can listen again or maybe download some sets that were recorded? I think 2fm have a listen again feature.
    Any others?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I had a great time. My 6th picnic and first time to play at it (finally). I know that next year I'd rather not play than have to bring my gear down (turntables and mixer). I'd rather just bring records and play 1 or 2 slots than be the fill in DJ when ever the bands were done.
    Still had a cracking time though, as always.

The Alan, Steve thing didn't make me laugh down there and it didn't really annoy me much either but I did laugh out loud at how much of a mention it is getting on here. It was only a tiny part of the weekend. I guess cos I wasn't really queuing up at bars much I missed a lot of it.

bit of PJ Harvey I recorded for anyone interested...kick drum is a bit boomy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Anybody know any websites where you can listen again or maybe download some sets that were recorded? I think 2fm have a listen again feature.
    Any others?

Thanks.

Looked yesterday and was pretty disappointed there is like 6 audios available to listen to WTF! http://www.rte.ie/radio/electricpicnic/audio.html

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

bit of PJ Harvey I recorded for anyone interested...kick drum is a bit boomy
    great footage - you can't remember the name of the last song she played can you? It was either second last or very last, very heavy guitar - loved it but didn't know it ( I haven't got the new album)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

All in all had a great weekend! I'll refrain from mentioning Alan&steveitis.

Seeing Austra was my absolute highlight. The small outdoor stage in body and soul really suited them.

Kind of like that it was that bit quieter this year too less queuing and all that! Lovely mix of people too! Have to say everyone I encountered or spoke to/at was a delight!

Advertisement