Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

My highlights were the most unexpected in the form of Paddy Courtney in the comedy tent and Kate Tempest in the Spoken Word.

But I came across these more or less by chance or word of mouth so i think its really important to put the acts and times of everything on the lanyards and not just the main music stages. Boo-urns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My highlights were the most unexpected in the form of Paddy Courtney in the comedy tent

Did Paddy Courtney do his bit about sex in the Gaeltacht?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Working there - Best one that I heard all weekend, on Saturday morning.
    "Eh, I slept with some fella and when I woke up he was gone and so was my wristband"
    Classic.

my job entailed sorting out who got replacement bands or not, got some wild stories, two lovely looking lasses

" yeah we were out and got smashed and met up with these lads for meath, we went back to our car after cos it was raining, we woke up in the lads car in the other car park with no bands, they deny taking them but i know they did.... i think the lads shafted the two of us then cut the bands when we fell asleep"

classy

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

"to every1 concerned with the guy that fell out of a tree. he was brought out of the coma today, and he is doing slightly better, but I think/hope that the worst part is over, now starts the lengthy recovery period and il be able to go see him once they bring him to dublin to operate on his multiple fractures. thanks for all the good wishes and prayers I appreciate it and am sure he does too."

Every organisers nightmare. Hope he's ok. Same goes for the barn being set alight. Just because the festival is only there for a short period of time, doesn't mean people won't have to live with te consequences for years to come.

Had a great weekend though didn't see as many acts as I'd hoped to get around to. Thought security were excellent and contributed to the vibe inside. Really enjoyed Interpol, Riptide Movement and Ham Sandwich at the Salty Dog, especially as I got to play along to Running Up that Hill!

Major lowlight for me was seeing the barn go up in flames on Saturday night and the aggressive guy who was, I'm guessing, coked off his head in the Bacardi bar. I don't think he expected me to get aggressive back but it was totally needless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The barn could have been accidental....

There was a wile lot of them lanterns floating about. Its unlikely but possible i guess

Where the barn is situated there isn't really any need for anyone to go up there unless they're going exploring. I don't know how it could have been an accident in that sense. Either way, it's not a nice thing to see accident or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

John Grant was totally amazing.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

There was a mad agressive small fella, must have only been about 5'4" at the Grill place on Sat Night around 9, he was starting on everybody, he was putting it up to this fella who was about a foot taller. Fairplay to the taller guy though, just pushed him to one side against the bar and let him eat his grub, it was bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Did anyone catch Grouplove on Saturday lunchtime? I know it was early and the tent was far from full but they were brilliant. Definitely one to watch for the future. "I AM A MAN MAN MAN MAN UP UP IN THE AIR"... quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 carinabean

Hi, bit random I seen this... the person who your talking about is one of my best friends, just thought id let ya know that he's in hospital and doing better! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

hug0 wrote: »
    Anyone find a camera much like this one? Im so sad I had great pictures on it, I must have lost it on Sunday. Its black and has 2 duracell batteries and a blue memory card in it.

Ive just got through to Stradbally garda finally. They have only a few cameras down there,after seeing the amount of cameras lost means people are not giving things back to their rightful owners please please try and get into contact with the owners or give it to a garda station.

Please see electric picnic forum to find people. Its not the camera at this stage just the pictures I will not get back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 carinabean

hugh2006 wrote: »
    I was about 50 feet away from the tree when he fell out. Didn't see it (thankfully) but did hear the sickening thud. A lot of people went over to take a look but me & my mates decided that was probably not a good idea. Hope the guy is alright. Haven't seen anything about the incident online so hopefully wasn't too serious.

Didn't see any other negative incidents over the weekend but mate had a few cards knicked from his tent on Saturday. Security mentioned to me on Saturday morning that there had been a few robberies too.

As for the "Alan, Steve" thing, wasn't involved it that, but I was onvolved in the "Dan" thing. Much funnier.

http://youtu.be/l2D3-FkoXNU

Hi, bit random I seen this... the person who your talking about is one of my best friends, just thought id let ya know that he's in hospital and doing better! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Did anyone catch Grouplove on Saturday lunchtime? I know it was early and the tent was far from full but they were brilliant. Definitely one to watch for the future. "I AM A MAN MAN MAN MAN UP UP IN THE AIR"... quality.

Ya, I caught about the last 10 mins. Good enough.
    "I see black, black, green & brown. Brown, brown, brown & blue. Yellow, violets, red." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So whos all for Bestival now next weekend, would love to do it all over again but Im totally skint.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

God I'm hankering for next year already...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

"Catherine".....don't spose you remember talking to me at Paul Kalkbrenner at the back of the little big tent on Saturday? You asked who's that on stage? I said are you for real, that's Paul K, and you introduced yourself and said your mates were out at the Barcardi bar. Pm if you do.....! :) Had a mad orange T shirt and orange sunglasses on my hat!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I took a few pics at it. I'm sure not a lot here went to Gretta Gun as the place was fairly sparse but she put on a good show, here is my fav pic of her and the rest are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fresh6000/sets/72157627618056024/

6124948522_4f05ac5072_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fresh6000/sets/72157627618056024/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭budgemook

can i just apologise if i hurt anyone while crowdsurfing during chemical brothers. i don't think i did but just in case :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Yep, they were excellent. Their album is worth checking out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This is an email I sent to 2FM for the abysmal coverage of Irelands second biggest music festival, if you agree follow suit and email 2FM.
    " Hi I would just like to point out that Electric Picnic is mainly and originally a electronic music festival, this does not seem to be reflected with your available listen back audio podcasts, I only see three artists that could be termed electronic artists, one track from Underworld, 15 minutes of DJ Shadow and two tracks by 80s group OMD. I would just like to ask where is Boys Noize, Flying Lotus, Chemical Brothers, **** Robot, Paul Kalkbrenner, Lykke Li, James Blake, Santigold, Death in Vegas, Trentemoller, Dave Clarke, Andy Weatherall, among others. Out of the twelve audios featured on your web page nine of them are either indie, pop or rock bands. So this is unbalanced and not properly representing the broad core of the Electric Picnic audience. Is there going to be more audios put up of some of the artists I mentioned who have not been featured so far."

Email address is: playerfeedback@rte.ie

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Had a great weekend though didn't see as many acts as I'd hoped to get around to. Thought security were excellent and contributed to the vibe inside. Really enjoyed Interpol, Riptide Movement and Ham Sandwich at the Salty Dog, especially as I got to play along to Running Up that Hill!

Major lowlight for me was seeing the barn go up in flames on Saturday night and the aggressive guy who was, I'm guessing, coked off his head in the Bacardi bar. I don't think he expected me to get aggressive back but it was totally needless.

Which bit ? or was that the song Podge was letting people play the guitar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 onelinedrawing

This is an email I sent to 2FM for the abysmal coverage of Irelands second biggest music festival, if you agree follow suit and email 2FM.
    " Hi I would just like to point out that Electric Picnic is mainly and originally a electronic music festival, this does not seem to be reflected with your available listen back audio podcasts, I only see three artists that could be termed electronic artists, one track from Underworld, 15 minutes of DJ Shadow and two tracks by 80s group OMD. I would just like to ask where is Boys Noize, Flying Lotus, Chemical Brothers, **** Robot, Paul Kalkbrenner, Lykke Li, James Blake, Santigold, Death in Vegas, Trentemoller, Dave Clarke, Andy Weatherall, among others. Out of the twelve audios featured on your web page nine of them are either indie, pop or rock bands. So this is unbalanced and not properly representing the broad core of the Electric Picnic audience. Is there going to be more audios put up of some of the artists I mentioned who have not been featured so far."

Email address is: playerfeedback@rte.ie

Hi

With regards this as someone who had to jump through a lot of hoops regarding clearences, its not always as simple as 2FM saying "were going to put this out" as some acts don't want to have their live sets go out for free, or to be heard outside of the context of the event itself.

For what its worth we (www.cockandbulltv.com) will have live videos for Adebisi Shank, Retarded Cop, Esben and The Witch, ASIWYFA, O Emperor, Gordon Gano, James Vincent McMorrow... had hoped to get more but as I said its a pain to get clearences and we dont quite have the clout (but were getting there)

I know this is a lot of indie stuff, but we wanted to cover as much as possible and approached a lot of the electronic acts also... I guess the indie bands are just more responsive.

threein99 wrote: »
    Which bit ? or was that the song Podge was letting people play the guitar

The last song, the Kate Bush cover. They dropped a drum down the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Fidelis wrote: »
    Mogwai, Warpaint, Santogold, 3Epkano, Health , Yuck, ASIWYFA, Midlake, Edward Sharpe, Body & Soul - all brilliant!

Does anybody know what happened to Ghostpoet's 3am B&S slot?

just heard today that his drummer hurt his arm/shoulder at EP earlier that day, and he decided to do the DJ set instead of cancelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

@ bodhrandude: I'm not sure about this. First off, the electronic music acts you mentioned were the ones I went straight for. I think I listened to 1 guitar band all weekend. I also performed live electronic music at the picnic on 2 nights. I would love to see more coverage of electronic music on the radio generally, hell just off the wall music round the clock. But I'm not sure about the electronic music ethos behind the picnic. Was it ever a purely electronic music festival? Maybe so, I just can't remember it.

I never thought as EP as an electronic music festival. It is no DEAF for example. I'm beginning to wonder, with so much else on whether it should even be called a music festival anymore.
    It's turning into a culture festival more than anything imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was never, ever ever an electronic festival, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I never thought as EP as an electronic music festival. It is no DEAF for example. I'm beginning to wonder, with so much else on whether it should even be called a music festival anymore.

ssssssshhhhhhhhhh don't call it a culture festival or the jazz heads will take it over :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Officially it's called a music & arts festival.

Advertisement