Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

lordgoat wrote: »
    Anyone see Austra and Zola Jesus?

Austra were class! The last set I saw at EP. *tear* Was wrecked though, could barely stay awake or stand up during it, but there was some vibe there to be fair. Only disappointment was they didn't play "Shoot the Water" as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I was on Duty at this so didn't get too see that much acts, was there Friday and Sunday. Friday didn't see that much acts just Foster the People.
    Sunday was brilliant though, seen The Drums and then White Lies the band I really wanted to see so that made the 14 hour shift worth it.

Pulp put on a great show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Anyone see Austra and Zola Jesus?

Got to see the tail end of Zola Jesus since Clap your hands say Yeah were poor. She was energetic to say the least. Great stuff for a small audience. Would like to see her again.

Had a good weekend except for the warm feeling down the back of my leg during Arcade Fire which turned out to be some scumbag using my leg as a urinal. I flipped.

I only heard Alan and Steve once or twice so didn't annoy me that much.

More scumbags around than there was 3-4 years ago. That was a little annoying. Puts me on edge.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Zola Jesus nearly made me go to EP just for her. Really hoping she'll be over for her own gig soon enough. Amazing.

Thanks for the replies. Her set at pitchfork earlier should still be available online, well worth a look if you liked what you heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

does anyone know if the guy on the main stage of body and soul on sat about 3 was the singer from arcade fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Zola Jesus nearly made me go to EP just for her. Really hoping she'll be over for her own gig soon enough. Amazing.

Thanks for the replies. Her set at pitchfork earlier should still be available online, well worth a look if you liked what you heard.

Actually had a look around Tower today but there was only one EP there. I think it's a pity she was on at the same time as Pulp. The atmosphere wasn't the best since the crowd was so small with a lot of passers-by like myself. However she did make a great effort and was down off the stage at one point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

The weekend goes far too quickly. I wish I was still there, it was the best picnic I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Anyone know who exactly was playing last on Saturday at the Arcadia stage? I know "wonka vision" are listed but which exact dj's were they? It'd be great if someone could shed some light on this cheers!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

threein99 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the guy fall out of the tree beside the quiet campsite yesterday afternoon ? he was taken off on a spinal board looked to be in a bad way.

I had a great time at this years picnic, though the amount of pillheads seemed alot higher than in prevous years.

My friend was in medical tent and saw the young lad you mentioned. He was in a lot of pain with a lot of blood streaming from his face. He had a spinal injury of some sort. His two mates were in tears saying they tried to help him. The whole scene reduced my own friend to tears. Please god the lad is alright

Great picnic. Weather was fine and the bands were great. Six years in a row for me and I think that one was the second best.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

Anyone find a camera much like this one? Im so sad I had great pictures on it, I must have lost it on Sunday. Its black and has 2 duracell batteries and a blue memory card in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

thefly wrote: »
    My friend was in medical tent and saw the young lad you mentioned. He was in a lot of pain with a lot of blood streaming from his face. He had a spinal injury of some sort. His two mates were in tears saying they tried to help him. The whole scene reduced my own friend to tears. Please god the lad is alright

Great picnic. Weather was fine and the bands were great. Six years in a row for me and I think that one was the second best.

Alot of people around where he fell look fairly shocked and concerned, I was sitting with my back to the tree and then heard the crash of him falling, I thought it was someone after falling over tents, then i seen the comotion of people trying to get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Fantastic weekend. Over the years I felt I was becoming an EP naysayer so it was great that the festival finally matched the solid lineup (imo) on offer at the 2007 edition. The variety of music was terrific on the Saturday. And thankfully the rain was nowhere near as bad as it was feared. Also no scumbags or scumbaggery present from my experience.

There really wasn't much in the way of "cons". Well, the bars closing at 10pm is ridiculous but I suppose that's something I've come to accept. Also, the Cinema tent was missed. The other thing... €240 a ticket is too much in this day and age... €200 would be ideal but no more than €220.

Looking back at the timetable I think these were the acts I saw all or a decent amount of their set:

Twin Shadow, The Rapture, Warpaint, M. Ward, Gavin Friday, Trinity Orchestra, Grouplove, Le Galaxie, Crazy P, Adebishi Shank, The Undertones, The Rubberbandits, Blonde Redhead, OMD, The Jezebels, Retarded Cop, James Chance, Public Enemy, The Chemical Brothers, Gordon Gano, And So I Watch You from Afar, Big Audio Dynamite, Underworld, Pulp, Mogwai

Like previous years I found there was clashing aplenty and a lot of "meh" during the day on the Main Stage (with the exception of Trinity Orchestra... that was a treat). An idea would be to axe, say, the Crawdaddy tent, flesh out the other four "main" stages with the acts that would have otherwise played that tent and cut the set lengths down. Bands like The Charlatans and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would probably get a better crowd if they played earlier on the Main Stage, and free up people's plans later in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hugh2006

thefly wrote: »

I was about 50 feet away from the tree when he fell out. Didn't see it (thankfully) but did hear the sickening thud. A lot of people went over to take a look but me & my mates decided that was probably not a good idea. Hope the guy is alright. Haven't seen anything about the incident online so hopefully wasn't too serious.

Didn't see any other negative incidents over the weekend but mate had a few cards knicked from his tent on Saturday. Security mentioned to me on Saturday morning that there had been a few robberies too.

As for the "Alan, Steve" thing, wasn't involved it that, but I was onvolved in the "Dan" thing. Much funnier.

http://youtu.be/l2D3-FkoXNU

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm really pissed off I didn't get to go into the festival! :( Was working the friday night at it, and I have to say that it was the most fun I ever had working nights at a festival. So many nice and cool people who were just a laugh. I wish some of my friends had gone to it so I could have gone in the Saturday and Sunday, or even worked with me, but none of them could! :(

Literally the nicest people in Ireland go to it though, was working the main gate at night so I may have talked to a few of you. The people I did talk to made the night go so much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

hug0 wrote: »
    Anyone find a camera much like this one? Im so sad I had great pictures on it, I must have lost it on Sunday. Its black and has 2 duracell batteries and a blue memory card in it.

Try the Electric Picnic forum (on EP site, not a boards forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hug0

I've tried but I cant remember my password or username, does anyone know how to contact admin on the site? Its a real difficult forum to navigate through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

AdMMM wrote: »
    Had my bag robbed on the first night in a bit of a strange one because they left all my drink there and I didn't actually realise until the next morning when I went to get changed. Didn't leave it ruin my weekend but obviously was a bit pissed off when I realised my camera was in it.

Found our tent completely rifled through late Saturday night as we were stopping by on the way to the rave in the woods. Everything, and I mean everything had been pulled out and searched through. Weirdly, they only took a couple of ipod nanos, headphones and a camera which was without a battery and SD card anyway - ha! Still don't like the idea of someone going through all our belongings.

Besides that, brilliant weekend, except for having to work today!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bazwin

serious amount of scum this year, i had to deal with alot of victims of wristband robbing, some people were pretty messed up from the incidents.\

and the main stage sound was dire.

public enemy was poppin tho

Have to agree.....Death in Vegas were brilliant..highlight of the weekend plus Underworld and Public Enemy...to name a few

You will always get an element of scum at most festivals...that's life:)

I hear they sold around 17000 tickets overall.......a massive decrease over previous years..usually around 30000...time to bring the price down like other festivals across Europe.........around 180 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

re: the guy falling from the tree, comment 45 here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2011/09/05/electric-picnic-2011-your-shout/#comments
    to sean. regarding the guy that fell out of a tree, he is a very good friend of mine and is in a critical condition in Tullamore hospital, because the injuries were so severe they had to put him in a coma. we are all praying for him and lets hope he pulls through, he is a tough one so we wont give up hope

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

brilliant weekend from start to finish. can anyone tell me the name of the band that was playing on sunday at around 6 (roughly). It was about 7 or 8 guys playing drums and bongos, one guy had a whistle. I thought they were excellent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mal1 wrote: »
    Actually had a look around Tower today but there was only one EP there. I think it's a pity she was on at the same time as Pulp. The atmosphere wasn't the best since the crowd was so small with a lot of passers-by like myself. However she did make a great effort and was down off the stage at one point

The album is def worth getting. I Can't Stand is one of my favourite songs.

That is terribly sad. Really hope he gets well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Korvanica wrote: »
    Did anyone else think the sound on the main arena was crap ?

It's useless. Quality was ok but the volume was way too low. You shouldn't be able to hear people chatting when a band are playing.
    This was my 3rd year & I've never really enjoyed anyone on the main stage. Tents are much better.

Fidelis wrote: »
    Does anybody know what happened to Ghostpoet's 3am B&S slot?

Did he not turn up? Seen on his Twitter he said Electric Picnic is amazing, so he was there at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Toast

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    It's useless. Quality was ok but the volume was way too low. You shouldn't be able to hear people chatting when a band are playing.
    This was my 3rd year & I've never really enjoyed anyone on the main stage. Tents are much better.

I thought the main stage sound was great. I guess it depended where you were standing. I had some major issues with the sound quality on a variety of the tents mostly on the Friday. Warpaint, Santigold, Foster the people and Twin Shadow all sounded better outside the tent than inside. I think they were mixing way too loud. Even earplugs couldn't help. I didn't notice the same issues the next two days so I'm guessing it was noticed (The Ticket did make one mention of it in a low point on a review I recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Did he not turn up? Seen on his Twitter he said Electric Picnic is amazing, so he was there at some stage.
    Yeah he was there, but he just spun a few records. It wasn't half bad, but he was billed as a live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

Did anyone go see Rarely Seen Above Ground?? Amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

hug0 wrote: »
    I've tried but I cant remember my password or username, does anyone know how to contact admin on the site? Its a real difficult forum to navigate through.

My friend found a camera on her tent. Pm me and I'll ask her to show it to me to see if it matches. She said she was gonna try posting about it here.

Update - she found the owner on the EP Forum. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Fidelis wrote: »
    Yeah he was there, but he just spun a few records. It wasn't half bad, but he was billed as a live show.

Strange one. Be a bit disappointed if I hung around till 3am for that.
    He's playing Dublin in a few weeks & Cork in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

First EP for me, great times! TrentEmoller was fantastic, well worth the wait! Got great vids of that concert front front stage going up on youtube now. DJ Shadow's sphere had me hypnotized :O Amazing. Mogwai has me deaf but worth it. Worst experience was spilling beans onto my shirt... so not so bad a weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Home not so long ago. Absolutely exhausted but so worth it. Saw so many great performances; Interpol, Santigold, Lykke Li, Warpaint and Zola Jesus (what a voice!) were just some of the best. One tops them all though; I was right up at the front for Arcade Fire and it was hands down the single best gig I have ever seen in my life. It was worth getting there at 6.45 and staying there til 11.30 just to be up that close to them.

Legend status is hereby granted to:
    *Some kid of at most 9 or 10 years old who walked up to me and gave me a high-five because we were wearing the same Interpol tshirt.
    *Some woman, clearly a bit off her head, who ran into the woods calling out to Larry Murphy to "come out from wherever you're hiding." :D
    *Santigold's dancers. And Santigold herself for pulling people onstage to dance for Creator. And for the weird pantomime horse costume she had on at one point.

Only a few lowlights, apart from the rain:
    *As mentioned already by a few people, ALAN! STEVE! stopped being funny after about 10 seconds.
    *After hours of wandering I finally made it to the rave in the woods Saturday night, only for it to end about 2 minutes later. :( I thought it would have gone on longer.
    *As far as the bands I saw wernt, the only gig I left a little disappointed was The Drums. They actually played pretty well but their setlist had some major holes in it.
    *Crowds were generally alright, though some absolute CUNT in the crowd for The Go! Team went around harassing women and then started laying into a fella who told him to back off. Luckily security got him out but I seriously hope that asshole got his tent robbed or got hit by a bus or something since then. :mad:

tl;dr - the highlights definitely trumped the lowlights and it was a fantastic weekend overall. Woot! :D

EDIT: @lordgoat, didn't catch Austra but was up the front for Zola Jesus (not too difficult, considering the tent was only around half full) She was excellent; her voice is phenomenal. It's hard to imagine such a powerful deep voice coming from such a tiny woman!

Imagine having the name Alan!

:pac:

Great weekend alrite, friggin' wrecked today still, but lots of cool points there but I can't remember too many of them :rolleyes: Weather kinda sucked when it rained but compared to other campers I was pretty unscathed with the leaky €7 tent I had... I love the open mic tent and the Family stone were my fav band.. but lots of cool bands and music I don't even know the name of! Loved the attention to detail for the festival and in the forest bits

I now feel like this fella - http://www.mobypicture.com/user/alanmckenna/view/10651262

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Thanks for whoever recommended the tarpaulin sheet.. life saver friday night.. It made the tent look like a pile of $hite and I will no doubt get laughs pointed in my direction with this pic, but it did its job very well!!! :)

unled1nth.jpg

Advertisement