Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

AntiVirus, Yes I forgot there is one MO that offers operator billing, It is Orange in the UK & France
    Colinsyron, If your LG is SIM unlocked you can use a US Sim, Mango will work fine, You will need to change the local settings on the phone from Ireland to take advantage of the i.e Bing Local Scout

In relation to which US Operators, The phone will work with AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 colinsyron

simi956 wrote: »
    AntiVirus, Yes I forgot there is one MO that offers operator billing, It is Orange in the UK & France
    Colinsyron, If your LG is SIM unlocked you can use a US Sim, Mango will work fine, You will need to change the local settings on the phone from Ireland to take advantage of the i.e Bing Local Scout

The phone is unlocked so i'm safe enough there. My Windows Live ID is set to ireland, will i have to reboot the phone to set the primary live account location to the US or is there an easier way. I really would love to have the full scout and vision while i'm over there as i'm travellin around quite a bit.

Cheers for the advice everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

simi956 wrote: »
    You will need to change the local settings on the phone from Ireland to take advantage of the i.e Bing Local Scout

I wouldn't have thought you would have to do that, it should work by picking up your current location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

AntiVirus wrote: »

Even call credit? How can I do this?

• Advertisement

colinsyron wrote: »
    The phone is unlocked so i'm safe enough there. My Windows Live ID is set to ireland, will i have to reboot the phone to set the primary live account location to the US or is there an easier way. I really would love to have the full scout and vision while i'm over there as i'm travellin around quite a bit.

Cheers for the advice everyone!

You don't need to touch your Windows Live regions/settings or anything. All you have to do is switch the browser and search language to English.

I'm pretty sure you won't need to even do that Local Scout should already be on your Mango Phone, have a look.

Here's more info for you
    http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011/05/29/windows-phone-7-mango-bing-local-scout-can-work-outside-of-the-us-and-uk/

I wouldn't have thought you would have to do that, it should work by picking up your current location.

Cool, i figure it'll let me do Bing Scout alright but the full bing vision functionality might not work as my purchasing location will still be ireland. Anyway lookin forward to using scout over there and will be interestin to see how good the directions on bing maps will be as i'll be doin some driving too!

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Even call credit? How can I do this?

Unfortunately it looks like the mobile carriers here don't offer it. I'm not sure you could always try

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936020

You don't need to touch your Windows Live regions/settings or anything. All you have to do is switch the browser and search language to English.

I'm pretty sure you won't need to even do that Local Scout should already be on your Mango Phone, have a look.

Here's more info for you
    http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2011/05/29/windows-phone-7-mango-bing-local-scout-can-work-outside-of-the-us-and-uk/

Ya that makes sense, i'll have no trouble with it, the scout is there on my search screen in mango so it'll be no trouble at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

All you need to do is go to region and language in the settings and change to us. I have my phone always set to us. Makes no difference In Ireland. I just unlock the navigation that way :) it works grand :)

windows live id set to Ireland and phone is set to US :) works perfect :) also voice recognition seems to work better for me when locale is set to us :)

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Can you change the MMS settings in the Mango update?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

My LG Optimus 7 is going back to Price Gaurd tomorrow, keeps randomly restarting, so I did a factory reset, now it won't connect to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That really annoys me, I still cant send MMS on my phone. Christ my Ngage that I bought donkeys years ago could do it.

i tried to send an MMS a while ago and i could not as well.

I never looked into further as it is just as easy to send an e-mail with the picture attached using the phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So i've been reading that the RTM version of Mango has been released and Fujitsu Toshiba have the first Mango device on the way.

So does this mean I can install a production version of mango on my Optimus 7 now? Or are these releases still not public?

I really can't wait to see how much the browser improves on Mango, because currently it formats some pages terribly making them difficult to read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's not public yet, but MS often make RTM releases available to developers well before they hit the shelves, so it's possible they'll do it with Mango too (and it probably won't take long to leak to the general public after).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Surely mango could be released in the next 2-3 weeks at the rate their going, not sure why we have to wait until about october for an official release.

Reportedly the networks have to test and approve it, which is a big PITA, I'd hoped MS would take over the update cycle completely and just release them directly like Apple do.

So i've been reading that the RTM version of Mango has been released and Fujitsu Toshiba have the first Mango device on the way.

So does this mean I can install a production version of mango on my Optimus 7 now? Or are these releases still not public?

I really can't wait to see how much the browser improves on Mango, because currently it formats some pages terribly making them difficult to read.

It looks like they are releasing a version for developer unlock phones tomorrow version 7712, its not a beta version, the Mango RTM version is 7720. See link below

http://wmpoweruser.com/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It looks like they are releasing a version for developer unlock phones tomorrow version 7712, its not a beta version, the Mango RTM version is 7720. See link below

http://wmpoweruser.com/

Cool id install that!

stevenmu wrote: »
    Reportedly the networks have to test and approve it, which is a big PITA, I'd hoped MS would take over the update cycle completely and just release them directly like Apple do.

Apple goes thru same stuff. They just do testing first and then push it so it seems like no testing is done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Apparently the updated Mango developer beta is available via Microsoft Connect already.

Another Helping of Mango for Devs - The Windows Phone Developer Blog

EDIT: Well, I've got the update installed. There are a few UI changes (the green Windows sphere replaced by a horrible red Windows square on startup - that has to be just for beta builds). Page transitions are now different to before... you'll have to see them to understand. The location button in Maps is now called 'me'. There's no longer an icon beside groups in People.

The Marketplace is extremely fast now! And there are a few new categories (card + board, government + politics). There appears to be Twitter integration (I don't have an account, so I can't verify, but Twitter's listed under Add An Account, along with LinkedIn).

Apart from them, I can't really see anything terribly different to be honest. :)

Oh, and previously where messages from you were bright and messages from others were dark, now your's are darker than other people's. If that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fgaff

JUST GOT THIS EMAIL FROM VODAFONE. RE SETTINGS FOR OPTIMUS 7....Confused anyone know where the BLUE BOTTON WITH THE FOUR DOTS ARE ??!!

Below are listed the Vodafone Irl. Live! GPRS, MMS Settings, & Email Client Settings, for the
    LG optimus Plus 7

Live! GPRS Settings
    1. Press the Menu button (Blue button with four dots at lower right-hand corner of screen).
    2. Scroll right to the third screen and select Connectivity then Access points.
    3. Press Add access point.
    4. Set Connection title to Vodafone Live.
    5. Set Bearer to GPRS.
    6. Set Authentication to No auth.
    7. Set APN to live.vodafone.com.
    8. Press Save.
    9. Press back and select Internet profiles from the Connectivity menu.
    10. Press Add profile.
    11. Set Title to Vodafone live.
    12. Set Homepage to http://live.vodafone.com.
    13. Set Use proxy to On.
    14. Set Proxy server address to 010.024.059.100.
    15. Set Proxy server port to 80.
    16. Set Access point to Vodafone Live (which you just created above).
    17. Press Save.

MMS Settings
    1. Press the Menu button (Blue button with four dots at lower right-hand corner of screen).
    4. Set Connection title to Vodafone MMS.
    5. Set Bearer to GPRS.
    6. Set Authentication to No auth.
    7. Set APN to mms.vodafone.net.
    8. Press Save.
    10. Press New profile.
    11. Set Title to Vodafone MMS.
    12. Set Use proxy to On
    13. Set Proxy server address to 010.024.059.200.
    14. Set Proxy server port to 80
    15. Set Access point to Vodafone MMS (which you just created above).
    16. Press Save.
    17. Now go to the main menu and then Messaging (top row of icons)
    18. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Settings.
    19. Select Multimedia message.
    20. Scroll down to Multi msg centre.
    21. Select Add centre.
    22. Set Title to Vodafone MMS.
    23. Set MMSC URL to http://www.vodafone.ie/mms.
    24. Set Internet profile to Vodafone MMS (which you have just created (above)).

E-mail Settings
    4. Set Connection title to Vodafone MISP.
    5. Set Bearer to GPRS.
    6. Set Authentication to PAP.
    7. Set APN to hs.vodafone.ie.
    8. Press Save.
    10. Press New profile.
    11. Set Service name to Vodafone MISP.
    12. Set Use proxy to Off.
    13. Set Access point to Vodafone MISP (which you just created above).
    14. Press Save.
    15. Press the Menu button (Blue button with four dots at lower right-hand corner of screen).
    16. Scroll right to the second screen and click on the Email icon (top lefthand corner).
    17. A list of email account types appear - Google Mail, Yahoo.com, Yahoo.co.uk, vodafone.ie, Microsoft Exchange, Others.
    18. Select the type of email account that you want to set up (Gmail, yahoo.com, yahoo.co.uk or vodafone.ie) and follow the prompts.

Those instructions are clearly not for the LG Optimus 7, I would refer to the LG site or xda developers

that is exactly what I thought....does anybody at vodafone actually have these mythical mms settings for lg optimus....it is unbelievable that they just cannot get the bloody thing sorted out....

Sounds like it might be some Vodafone specific app, is your phone from Vodafone or elsewhere?

it is one of the windows 7 phones quite a few people bought from germany. it was originaly from vodafone.de.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I just bought a LG Optimus 7 on eBay from Price-Guard for €185 including shipping (please don't tell me if it's available somewhere else cheaper). Will I need to purchase a Ireland compatible charger to use it? If so has anybody got a link? I'm currently on pre-pay with o2. I would have posted in the BA thread but it's been locked unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I just bought a LG Optimus 7 on eBay from Price-Guard for €185 including shipping (please don't tell me if it's available somewhere else cheaper). Will I need to purchase a Ireland compatible charger to use it? If so has anybody got a link? I'm currently on pre-pay with o2. I would have posted in the BA thread but it's been locked unfortunately.

The charger you'll get will most likely be in two parts, the wall plug, and the cable. The wall plug will probably be a european one, but you can always just charge your phone from your PC/Xbox/PS3/Sky Box/etc

• Advertisement

VanZan wrote: »

Any micro usb charger will do :) I'm using a Nokia one for my Samsung so no biggie :)

it will be a two pin EU plug

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement