Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

DjFlin wrote: »
    Could anyone whos got an LG check to see if they can access the LG App Store?

Since I updated to Mango Beta 2, I havent been able to connect to it. The regular App Store works fine though.
    Have you received the LG firmware update now that you're on the Mango beta? As it's my wife's phone I didn't load the Mango beta and stayed on the standard release. I've seen reports that folk on the beta or on de-branded phone have not received the LG firmware update. My wife has one of the German Vodafone LGs which were on sale recently. The update notification popped up last week and I connected it to Zune and got the firmware upgrade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Okay, this is more to vent than anything else. But if anyone has any good ideas on this, I'd really appreciate them!

I've got a big update for Irish Train Times finished. I sent it off to Microsoft for testing and certification, but it failed because it throws an IsolatedStorageException when the app is resumed.

Here's the really fun part: the app only throws an Exception when I'm not ****ing debugging it! When I'm running it on my phone via Visual Studio 2010 it doesn't happen. It does if I start it from the phone with no debugger. And I've no idea how Microsoft worked out it was an IsolatedStorageException, because it doesn't give me any clue as to how it crashes or where. I only know it's an IsolatedStorageException because that's what's mentioned in the submission report.

Damnit. :mad:
    I read somewhere recently that MS have made their certification tool available to download, so that might help give you more details than are in the report. I can't seem to find it at the moment but I'll post a link if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Okay, this is more to vent than anything else. But if anyone has any good ideas on this, I'd really appreciate them!

I've got a big update for Irish Train Times finished. I sent it off to Microsoft for testing and certification, but it failed because it throws an IsolatedStorageException when the app is resumed.

Here's the really fun part: the app only throws an Exception when I'm not ****ing debugging it! When I'm running it on my phone via Visual Studio 2010 it doesn't happen. It does if I start it from the phone with no debugger. And I've no idea how Microsoft worked out it was an IsolatedStorageException, because it doesn't give me any clue as to how it crashes or where. I only know it's an IsolatedStorageException because that's what's mentioned in the submission report.

Yeah as above they released their testing tool they actually use to accept the apps for marketplace. If ya snoop around ya might find it.

Cant remember where it was :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If its only happening in release mode then you'll have to add your own debugging code into your app. There's no short cut, if you can replicate the error in release mode you should be able to find out where in the code the problem is and work from there. This happens all the time with software not just apps.

Have fun bug hunting! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Found the post again, unfortunately it's just a preview and won't be the complete tool until the RC release of the Mango SDK so not sure how much help it'll be: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2011/07/27/wpsdk-beta-2-refresh-for-mango-devs.aspx.

FWIW this type of bug is sometimes known as a Heisenbug :)

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    If the battery is flat it will take a while before the phone responds. Charge it overnight or at least for an hour or two as I suggested. Don't attach it to a PC until you verify that it's working or is a dud. Have you put a SIM in it?

There's good news and bad news. The good is that leaving the battery charge for an hour or two did the trick. It was working fine all day today.

Now for the bad news:

Because I mucked up the initial set up/introduction I decided to reset the phone. I went to Settings, About and Reset. The phone restarted but now all I get is the "LG" on screen and nothing else happens. I've tried powering it on and off but nothing but "LG" appears?

From the manual:

about
    View legal information, and check the
    phone status and software version.
    Reset your phone. This will erase all
    your personal content, including
    applications that you purchased and
    downloaded.

This should just restore the phone back. Are you sure that it's not just the battery going flat again? My wife's phone lasts a day and half max before needing a re-charge. Leave it plugged in on charge until the battery is showing full. If all else fails you could try a hard reset - info on Google.

Thanks Tony. It just started working again this morning and I don't know why. I tried the hard reset of holding the buttons down but it didn't do anything for me. I failed at it I guess.

I think I may have damaged it when I first got it. It says in the manual don't take the battery out when charging it and in my ignorance I committed that sin at the outset. A catalogue of errors.

As a geek I always read the manual first but as it was in Nazi I let my excitement get the better of me. To my cost it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Got the bastard.

This caught me out because it's not exactly a bug per say, but rather a side-effect of the OS, Visual Studio and my Application_Activated method.

In the MSDN article "Publishing Your Application" under Certification Requirements it states that "If your application does not complete the action taken in the Activated or Deactivated event handlers within ten seconds it will be terminated by the operating system."

My Application_Activated method had a call to MessageBox.Show(). Now if the user doesn't dismiss the MessageBox after ten seconds the OS will close the app as per the article. Presumably the OS can tell if the app is being debugged in Visual Studio, in order to allow a programmer to check or debug the Application_Activated method, and so does not close the app. When it's not being debugged in Visual Studio, the OS applies the ten-second rule. Try it yourselves! :D

I've no clue about the IsolatedStorageException that was being thrown, but I replicated the bug in a new project with no calls to the IsolatedStore, so I'm certain that this is the problem.

Cheers for all yer help. :)
    stevenmu wrote: »
    FWIW this type of bug is sometimes known as a Heisenbug :)

Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Does anyone know how to download the mobile internet settings for the optimus 7 on meteor? The drop down box for E900 is empty on the meteor site to download the settings.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Jet Black wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to download the mobile internet settings for the optimus 7 on meteor? The drop down box for E900 is empty on the meteor site to download the settings.

Thanks.

here?

Thanks Tony. It just started working again this morning and I don't know why. I tried the hard reset of holding the buttons down but it didn't do anything for me. I failed at it I guess.

I think I may have damaged it when I first got it. It says in the manual don't take the battery out when charging it and in my ignorance I committed that sin at the outset. A catalogue of errors.

As a geek I always read the manual first but as it was in Nazi I let my excitement get the better of me. To my cost it seems.
    No worries - you're not really a geek though;) - I had the manual downloaded before my wife's phone arrived:p - http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/events/pdc10/LG-E900_SHB_English_1027.pdf

So how do I go about getting some apps on my LG Optimus? I got my o2 PAYG sim and put it in. When I click on "Marketplace" it says "service unavailable. Check back in a little while"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Did you in the APN for O2 PAYG?

simi956 wrote: »
    Did you in the APN for O2 PAYG?
    Nope. What's APN? :o

Under Settings/Network
    APN: internet OR open.internet
    username: gprs
    password: gprs

simi956 wrote: »
    Under Settings/Network
    APN: internet OR open.internet
    username: gprs
    password: gprs

That worked! Thanks mate :). I don't have a data addon so I think it's €1 for 50mb. Is 50mb a lot when it comes to surfing the marketplace etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

That worked! Thanks mate :). I don't have a data addon so I think it's €1 for 50mb. Is 50mb a lot when it comes to surfing the marketplace etc?

50 megs is plenty. Most marketplace apps are under 5 megs, unless your downloading Xbox Live titles.

Just be aware that the daily usage limit of 50MB finishes at midnight. If you are surfing after that another 99c is charged for the next day.
    To check data usage type *113# and send

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I have just got a HTC 7 Pro and I absolutely love it.

Just one thing though, on my old phone, a Nokia N97, I would download video files directly to the phone's memory from www.bbcredux.com

Now when I attempt to do this it just plays the video.

Is there any way to download a file from the phone or do I have to import it to Zune and transfer it over?

• Advertisement

You will need to use the Zune Desktop client and sync back to phone, So download the file from the PC and save to the My Music folder which will automatically sync via Zune

I have just got a HTC 7 Pro and I absolutely love it.

Just one thing though, on my old phone, a Nokia N97, I would download video files directly to the phone's memory from www.bbcredux.com

Now when I attempt to do this it just plays the video.

Is there any way to download a file from the phone or do I have to import it to Zune and transfer it over?

Zune is the only way. Any downloadable content of the web is only allowed to be played. Not saved :(

Its a good way to increase security as most people would download lots of malware. Though its not very convenient :(

Anyone running Mango ever notice that the chat won't work randomly?
    I sign in sometimes and it says "No one is online" but people are online. Generally signing in and out several times will fix it, but its seriously annoying..

Anyone running Mango ever notice that the chat won't work randomly?
    I sign in sometimes and it says "No one is online" but people are online. Generally signing in and out several times will fix it, but its seriously annoying..

Nah works ok here. Once you go into it, it refreshes people online, and if you have battery saver set to come on on low battery it stops working to save battery life. Facebook chat works similiary to push mail so it drains battery quite alot more than without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Will Mango have folders for apps like the iPhone? I have an iPhone 4 and a samsung Omnia and honestly the only thing the iPhone is better at are the way they are stored in the app store and the folders on the phone itself

Will Mango have folders for apps like the iPhone? I have an iPhone 4 and a samsung Omnia and honestly the only thing the iPhone is better at are the way they are stored in the app store and the folders on the phone itself

No folders, but it has an alphabetic quicklist. At first I didnt like it, but I've found it to be really quick and intuitive.

No folders, but it has an alphabetic quicklist. At first I didnt like it, but I've found it to be really quick and intuitive.

Is that in Mango Beta 2?

Its been the only real feature demoed that i didnt find on it.

Is that in Mango Beta 2?

Its been the only real feature demoed that i didnt find on it.

Its an automatic feature, if you have more than 20 (or 25, not really sure) apps it'll start, otherwise you'll have the regular app list.

Its an automatic feature, if you have more than 20 (or 25, not really sure) apps it'll start, otherwise you'll have the regular app list.

Maybe thats why ;)

Still agree with above. Even though live tiles are handy. IT doesnt display everything you need without additional scrolling or navigation.

Folders or some quick access would be really handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Anyone know how to change the number of rings before the phone goes to voicemail? I've got a HTC Mozart if it helps...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement