Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

DjFlin wrote: »
    The charger you'll get will most likely be in two parts, the wall plug, and the cable. The wall plug will probably be a european one, but you can always just charge your phone from your PC/Xbox/PS3/Sky Box/etc
    Any micro usb charger will do :) I'm using a Nokia one for my Samsung so no biggie :)

it will be a two pin EU plug
    Thanks guys! My first smartphone so hopefully the phone won't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm such an idiot.... I sent my phone back to price gaurd, but with the MFG app still there. I did relock it though. Will that void my warranty?

Also, wtf DHL wanted €35 for ground shipping and €56 for air while UPS wanted €50.11

An Post registered for €11.85 ftw! Wtf are the others thinking! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I just got updated to the latest Beta build of Mango. Apparently its identical to the RTM version.

Theres not much new in the way of features. The biggest one is that Twitter and LinkedIn now work.

The rest is minor tweaks;

Copying/Pasting now makes a little noise.
    Screen zooms out faster when entering the multitasking window.
    You can now pan through the multitasking page faster, it doesnt stop at each program.

A couple of features/changes I was expecting havent been added :(

You still cant close programs from the multitasking pane, which sucks.

Plus, if you open up the music app, and play something, the multitasking pane shows you 3 screens, the Now Playing one, the Artists/Albums/Genre/etc, and the Zune start page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I just got updated to the latest Beta build of Mango. Apparently its identical to the RTM version.

Theres not much new in the way of features. The biggest one is that Twitter and LinkedIn now work.

The rest is minor tweaks;

Copying/Pasting now makes a little noise.
    Screen zooms out faster when entering the multitasking window.
    You can now pan through the multitasking page faster, it doesnt stop at each program.

A couple of features/changes I was expecting havent been added :(

You still cant close programs from the multitasking pane, which sucks.

Plus, if you open up the music app, and play something, the multitasking pane shows you 3 screens, the Now Playing one, the Artists/Albums/Genre/etc, and the Zune start page.

Well atleast they ironed out alot of bugs. Few new animations. And i can finally easily press reply button in touch boards :)

Now 12 hours with beta 2 mango and all the annoying little bugs that I've found are fixed

:) main difference is that transition animations got shorter while keeping things polished and fast :) ie9 works perfect now :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Now 12 hours with beta 2 mango and all the annoying little bugs that I've found are fixed

:) main difference is that transition animations got shorter while keeping things polished and fast :)ie9 works perfect now :)

Hmmmm....might give mango a go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

What do you make of this?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20085028-281/microsofts-web-map-exposes-phone-pc-locations/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Apparently Microsoft is tracking our locations and handing out that info.

Jaafa wrote: »
    What do you make of this?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20085028-281/microsofts-web-map-exposes-phone-pc-locations/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Apparently Microsoft is tracking our locations and handing out that info.

Wow they know where I live. I'm screwed :)

Well atleast they ironed out alot of bugs. Few new animations. And i can finally easily press reply button in touch boards :)
    I was starting to wonder if I was the only one with that issue.

:) it was very annoying :) thank god its gone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I was reporting posts by accident instead of replying, whoops!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm trying to get tethering working on my phone (Samsung Omnia 7) and laptop (Windows 7) but I'm having some problems. I followed the instructions here and changed the Extra Initialization Commands from "internet" to "data.mymeteor.ie" but I'm not sure what phone number to use for Meteor. Has anyone got this working?

markpb wrote: »
    I'm trying to get tethering working on my phone (Samsung Omnia 7) and laptop (Windows 7) but I'm having some problems. I followed the instructions here and changed the Extra Initialization Commands from "internet" to "data.mymeteor.ie" but I'm not sure what phone number to use for Meteor. Has anyone got this working?

Tethering doesnt really work. Some apparently have managed to get wired tethering to work.

But for the rest (including me) it just never worked that way. Hopefully some one eventually will make one in the homebrew community.

Microsoft said that you can tether with WP7. Just neither of the OEM's have made it available through an app :(

Since OEM's cant make their own special apps they can make a tethering app.

Microsoft hasnt made this native probably cause their still under carrier grace for letting WP7 out and most of carriers frow about tethering cause they slow their network down :(

Couple of apps to try :)

...i'm a WP7! - See how many WP7 users are around you, Ireland and the world. It only shows how many have used the app.

Accuweather.com - Possibly the nicest live weather tiles out there ;)

Betty Crocker - Well made cooking app :)

Bingle Maps - If bing cant find something its always better to use googles business search :) I like googles data but i preffer bing maps layout so this ties them in together :)

IGN - Game reviews

IMDb - Cinema Listing and show times (inc Ireland) and movie reviews

Games

Plants vs Zombies -

Square Attack - Puzzle Block Game

Orientile - Line Joining Puzzle Game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Has anyone found a daycent gameboy emulator yet? I'm struggling to find a usable one.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I was reporting posts by accident instead of replying, whoops!

Me too :rolleyes:
    stevenmu wrote: »

Yeah, I tried it out myself, its not really worth caring about. You can stream songs one by one if you want, but its pointless. Its just how SkyDrive works, whatever files you keep there, you can open. So if you've an MP3, it'll open in Zune, if you've a PDF, it'll open in Adobe (Which is pretty handy)
    Has anyone found a daycent gameboy emulator yet? I'm struggling to find a usable one.

This is supposedly the best one, I havent had a chance to try it yet though.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1153542

This is supposedly the best one, I havent had a chance to try it yet though.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1153542

I had a look at that one, but it seems that it you need to host your own ROMs on a server, which I don't have =/

EDIT: Bfheidir Dropbox will work, will report back

I had a look at that one, but it seems that it you need to host your own ROMs on a server, which I don't have =/

EDIT: Bfheidir Dropbox will work, will report back

I just found sites that had them hosted ROM's on it. Worked fairly well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know I posted a few general questions earlier in this thread, but I've just about had it with Android and its (XDA) community at this stage!

Don't get me wrong, fair play to these guys for their time and effort in making all these custom ROMs but I'm tired of finding something else that's broken every time I update one. The aforementioned community isn't much help either with posters (who come across as teenage kids) either pestering the devs for the next release date, or fawning over their efforts, to the point where any requests for help just get ignored.

I've tried CoreDroid, LeeDroid and Revolution HD on my Desire HD at this stage and each one has it's own issues - for example CoreDroid force closes when you get a call which restarts the session (in the same was as Windows Explorer dying restarts your Windows session), Revolution HD was good/stable but the latest version seems to have a weird quirk where incoming calls don't display if the screen is locked.

I'm on my 2nd Android now and I work in IT so I'm not averse to having to get my hands dirty with roms and tweaks etc and I know ya can't test for everything and I'll no doubt fix these issues somehow by tonight but I'm just TIRED of having to do it every time I want to get a little bit more out of the phone.

So, now that I've rambled a bit, here's my questions...

1. Simply, is Windows Phone 7 "ready" yet? I know the Mango update is to add a lot of goodness but is there any functionality that would glaringly stand out as missing at this stage? I know everyone here says its very slick too etc but compared to current Android builds how does it stand up in terms of usability and features?

2. Apps and what not don't bother me too much so the number on the Market isn't a key selling point. If I want games I have a laptop/PC but there are a few more useful productivity apps I'm used to (sky+, Remote Desktop to my servers, TuneIn Radio etc). Does MS's version have these/equivalents yet?

3. I've tried looking for comparisons of Android v Windows Phone 7 but almost all of the articles seem to be based on the initial release of the latter or heavily slanted in favour of the iPhone (which doesn't appeal to me at all). Any links I should check out?

4. Despite all these issues I do like the DHD - especially the big screen. With that in mind I've been looking at the HD7 which seems like a somewhat cut-down version of the DHD hardware wise? I'd be interested in any feedback from owners though as to what it's like. Anything on the horizon or other phones I should look at?

Have any former Android owners any thoughts here? Is it worth making the switch? Aside from all the above, it does seem to me that MS are giving this a big push but I'm wondering if it's still too soon to jump yet?

Cheers for any help guys

With NoDo right now its ok. Mango is the real improvement where it catches up to android and IOS.

So if U get one now you will be missing essential features like multi tasking and few bits and bobs but nothing major.

With wp7 I had the smallest amount of hassle. No need to modify or fix something. Where my gfs desire always something goes wrong :S

The only real function I miss is tethering. I don't tether alot but having it while I am on the road is really handy :)

Regarding HD7 I found the battery life to be very poor compared to Omnia. Most users here reported to get good enough battery life with optimus.

I have data off today since the morning :) after work I still have 90% left lol :) where on hd7 it used to drain alot quicker

So its quite a deal breaker :)

But in my opinion it wont be really ready till mango if U don't wanna flash mango beta on it.

But that's just me being fuzzy. Most customer I sold wp7 to didn't care about real multi tasking or other little things. Just make calls and texts, WORK and a few apps and games and their happy :)

Ms is doing a big push. Just not really in Ireland. There's mixed reviews for wp7. All my colleages like it. Some dislike it cause U can't customize it that much.

But I switched cause I got sick and tired modding my phone. I just wanted it to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I got an LG Optimus in the recent bargain alerts frenzy :D

I use it 95% as a phone and then as a handy device for a quick check on emails/web without having to switch on the laptop...this is new to me.

I miss a few things compared to my old Nokia and I wonder is there any plans to improve these ?

At a glance without having to pick up the phone see if there's text/missed call etc (Old had a flashing led - maybe an occasional flash of the screen or chirp maybe ? )

Ascending ringtone volume(I believe custom ringtones are coming ?)

Alarm to work while phone is off

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

This post has been deleted.

Yup. Its happened to me a few times and it's very irritating.

At a glance without having to pick up the phone see if there's text/missed call etc (Old had a flashing led - maybe an occasional flash of the screen or chirp maybe ? )

That's up to the manufacturer. HTC has it on all their phones including hd7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I had to send my LG Optimus 7 back to price gaurd because of random restarting, that quickly became constant restarting. Does anyone know what might have caused this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've just experienced my first problem with my LG Optimus 7.

Was trying to call the wife's mobile and I could not hear any ring tone at all. From my end it seemed like the call was never made, but the wife says she got the call but could not hear me.

Restarted the phone and still the same problem.

Restarted again and then the phone worked fine.

The phone is fully updated.

Anyone experience similar?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do-more wrote: »
    I've just experienced my first problem with my LG Optimus 7.

Was trying to call the wife's mobile and I could not hear any ring tone at all. From my end it seemed like the call was never made, but the wife says she got the call but could not hear me.

Restarted the phone and still the same problem.

Restarted again and then the phone worked fine.

The phone is fully updated.

Anyone experience similar?
    I haven't experienced anything like that at all tbh. I've only had to restart my device once or twice since getting it which is quite impressive!

I might stick mango on my LG tomorrow...i take it that doing so would mean I lose all my data + settings etc?

I might stick mango on my LG tomorrow...i take it that doing so would mean I lose all my data + settings etc?

Nope. Some apps might not work, though. It's the same as any other update. Make sure to make a backup of it in it's current state, though.

Nope. Some apps might not work, though. It's the same as any other update. Make sure to make a backup of it in it's current state, though.

Oh sweet!

Yeah i'll backup what i have...there's not too much to backup tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Hang on now.

I don't know what tools you're using for the unofficial pre-Mango updates, but with the developer ones I got I have to keep a backup of my phone before the Mango beta was installed on it. I can't install the final version of Mango when I have the beta installed on it; I have to restore the backup of my phone via Zune before I can update to the final version.

Doing this restore will delete all data and apps from my phone. I don't know if it's the same with an unofficial update, but I would be wary of that point. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement