Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

But real **** won't kick off till Apollo :)

...mango hasn't yet been released, and they're already talking about the following update? Shur, WinPhone9 is what I'm holding out for.

Large software companies don't just do one update or product and start the next one after its realeased. Heads at the table would already have decided what will be coming in the next one of even an idea for a two years or more plan.

their on the right track track. They just need more support from OEM's. Was talking to Samsung, HTC, Nokia reps today. Neither of them have correct info or enthusiasm towards windows phone. So till they get their oem's sorted there wont be alot going on with windows phone since they don't even train existing or new staff properly. Samsung only mentioned the word omnia. Nokia talks briefly about wp but mostly concentrates on Anna, Belle Symbian and ovi maps.

HTC doesn't even mention it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MJPE

Thanks a million for reply's guys looks like I have to do a bit of reading to do.:)

Just have one more question should I wait for Nokia's WP7 handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

MJPE wrote: »
    Just have one more question should I wait for Nokia's WP7 handset?

I bought the LG Optimus 7 for 168 euro's even though I'm waiting to see what the Nokia one is like. I'm expecting it to be around the 500 euro mark when its released. I should be able to get around 100 for my LG if I sell it before the others here do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It's very easy to install, here's a noobs guide to installing Mango on your WP7
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1164891

Seems much easier than the pdf guide I read a week or so ago. Has it gotten easier or is it just a much simpler method?

I know I keep saying I'm going to stick mango on, but just haven't gotten around to it yet (plus slightly afraid of bricking my brand new phone!). But think I'll give it a shot tomorrow if it seems safe enough and easy.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Seems much easier than the pdf guide I read a week or so ago. Has it gotten easier or is it just a much simpler method?

I know I keep saying I'm going to stick mango on, but just haven't gotten around to it yet (plus slightly afraid of bricking my brand new phone!). But think I'll give it a shot tomorrow if it seems safe enough and easy.

You'll have no problems doing it and you'll love Mango! :D

• Advertisement

You'll have no problems doing it and you'll love Mango! :D

Cool thanks.

This the best guide to follow then http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1164891 ?

And does it still take like 7 hours like the last guide said it took?

Cheers

Cool thanks.

This the best guide to follow then http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1164891 ?

And does it still take like 7 hours like the last guide said it took?

Cheers

You're not going to find an easier way to install the Mango 2 beta. You can skip looking for the backup file in the first bit as well. If you need to roll back from Mango you can do it with the Zune test you'll be installing. Just don't uninstall it. :D

If you do unistall it you'll just be back to the factory settings and have to install your app's etc.. again.

You're not going to find an easier way to install the Mango 2 beta. You can skip looking for the backup file in the first bit as well. If you need to roll back from Mango you can do it with the Zune test you'll be installing. Just don't uninstall it. :D

If you do unistall it you'll just be back to the factory settings and have to install your app's etc.. again.

Cool thanks your a great help.

I'll get it installed tomorrow so. Hopefully it doesn't take me to long and hopefully I don't have to come hassle you with more questions!

Cool thanks your a great help.

I'll get it installed tomorrow so. Hopefully it doesn't take me to long and hopefully I don't have to come hassle you with more questions!

Any questions, fire away. If you follow the instructions it will all go smoothly... :)

and it will take about 1 hour to do in total.

Any questions, fire away. If you follow the instructions it will all go smoothly... :)

and it will take about 1 hour to do in total.

Cool thanks again.

I'll post back with my results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Installed and works fine.

Cool thanks again.

I'll post back with my results.

Got it all installed there with no problems. Didn't take long and was easy to do. Now to see the new/better features and have a good play.

Thanks again AntiVirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

Does mango re-lock the phone. Touchxperiece and flashapp don't work anymore 'revoked by microsoft'

heid wrote: »
    Does mango re-lock the phone. Touchxperiece and flashapp don't work anymore 'revoked by microsoft'

Yea I'm pretty sure it does. I get the same error when I try to use TouchXperience.

I wonder what's the best way to unlock it again? Can we just do it in the registry like we did before I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi there,

Was going to post a separate thread, but then I saw that people had asked questions on this thread so I thought I'd do that instead.

We've got a few LG Optimus 7 phones that our employees use. They connect to our Exchange Server so that Email / Calendar / Contacts are synced.

One of the LG Optimus 7 phones has started running up massive data usage in the last couple of months ( i.e. about 4 Gb a month, around 400-700Mb a day ). All the other phones are behaving as normal.

All Vodafone can tell me is that it's happening, they can't tell me what the data is etc.

I did a hard reset on the phone ( just in case the user - who isn't the kind of person to start downloading massive files - accidentally signed up for something ). The hard reset wiped everything ( as I expected ) and then I reconfigured it to Sync to Exchange. It only downloads the last month's worth of email, and no email bigger than about 25k. There's a 5Mb limit for email in our company anyhow, so it can't be email.

Anyhow, even after the hard reset the massive data usage is still continuing. Vodafone have advised I contact Microsoft about it!

Does anyone know of a MarketPlace App I can get that will show me what Apps are running in the background on the LG Optimus 7, and what data is being sent / received?

Thanks in advance...

J.

heid wrote: »
    Yea I'm pretty sure it does. I get the same error when I try to use TouchXperience.

I wonder what's the best way to unlock it again? Can we just do it in the registry like we did before I wonder?

You can unlock the phone like you did before using the built in registry editor. I'm not sure Touchxperience will work with Mango. I haven't tried it myself.

If you're having problem getting the facebook chat to work try going into Settings -> People and long press on Facebook and select sync, do the same with Windows Live. This worked for me.

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there,

Was going to post a separate thread, but then I saw that people had asked questions on this thread so I thought I'd do that instead.

We've got a few LG Optimus 7 phones that our employees use. They connect to our Exchange Server so that Email / Calendar / Contacts are synced.

One of the LG Optimus 7 phones has started running up massive data usage in the last couple of months ( i.e. about 4 Gb a month, around 400-700Mb a day ). All the other phones are behaving as normal.

All Vodafone can tell me is that it's happening, they can't tell me what the data is etc.

I did a hard reset on the phone ( just in case the user - who isn't the kind of person to start downloading massive files - accidentally signed up for something ). The hard reset wiped everything ( as I expected ) and then I reconfigured it to Sync to Exchange. It only downloads the last month's worth of email, and no email bigger than about 25k. There's a 5Mb limit for email in our company anyhow, so it can't be email.

Anyhow, even after the hard reset the massive data usage is still continuing. Vodafone have advised I contact Microsoft about it!

Does anyone know of a MarketPlace App I can get that will show me what Apps are running in the background on the LG Optimus 7, and what data is being sent / received?

Thanks in advance...

J.

There was an issue with Yahoo eating data on WP7, read about it here:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20030270-75.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp7-sync/excessive-phantom-data-usage/2a8f19ff-0e82-4581-8985-04e4fb2cdb45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

From the Microsoft Exchange Team's blog...
    For Windows Phone 7 EAS issue, users might see increased data usage when a message is "stuck" in their outbox. A user might encounter this state if they send email to an invalid email address or if they send a message that's larger than the allowed message size (server side policy) from their phone. In these cases, users can go to their Outbox folder and delete the stuck message and the phone's data use will return to normal. Below are the steps a user can take to see if there is a message stuck in their outbox and how to delete it.

Note: This impacts only a very small percentage of Windows Phone 7 users and does not impact EAS users on other phone platforms.
    1. Click the folder icon at the bottom of the EAS-enabled inbox
    2. Select the Show all folders option
    3. Select the folder called Outbox (if you have a lot of folders, you may have to scroll down to see this folder)
    4. Delete any messages in this folder

Exchange ActiveSync and Windows Phone 7 "phantom data" issue

Nice one, thanks! I don't think it's the Yahoo thing ( they don't have Yahoo email ) but I'll check out the Outbox...

Jason.

jasonb wrote: »
    Nice one, thanks! I don't think it's the Yahoo thing ( they don't have Yahoo email ) but I'll check out the Outbox...

Jason.

Maybe try switching his LG with someone else, there maybe a problem with his phone or his Sim card. If the problem follows him, try getting him a new sim card. If the other person has the same problem with that phone, then its the phone.

If you get him a new sim card and he still has the same problem, try hiring someone else :D

• Advertisement

Heh heh... I was thinking I might have to go down the 'swap the handset / swap the SIM' route.

However, while I was entering my original post, something occured to me.

After I did the Hard Reset, I contacted Vodafone a couple of weeks later to check the data usage, and they said over 1.5Gb of data had been transferred. But, they meant since the last bill date, which was nearly 2 weeks before I did the Hard Reset.

Since then I've asked them to check again, and since the day of the Hard Reset there's only been around 1Mb a day usage. So it looks like the Hard Reset has actually fixed it.

Thanks for the advice...

J.

Loving all the nice little subtle features Mango has to offer. It does seem a little glitchy but that is to be expected with it being a beta and all. I'm sure the full release will be amazing.

One thing that I'm not too found of is the address bar in IE on the bottom instead of the top, and the tab button is inside a second menu instead of directly accessible. Not the end of the world or anything, maybe it will just take a bit of getting used to.

Looking forward to the final release anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

My Samsung Omnia just told me than an update was available but I won't be near a PC for a few days so I'm curious to know what it is. I have 7392 already installed and there are no more updates listed on the Where's My Update page. Does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

the tab button is inside a second menu instead of directly accessible.

Drives me completely insane. HAS to be changed for the final release.
    markpb wrote: »
    My Samsung Omnia just told me than an update was available but I won't be near a PC for a few days so I'm curious to know what it is. I have 7392 already installed and there are no more updates listed on the Where's My Update page. Does anyone have any ideas?

Its just a small update with some minor fixes. Nothing you cant live without for a few days. :)

DjFlin wrote: »
    Drives me completely insane. HAS to be changed for the final release.

Yea really hope it is. I use it way to often for it not to be directly accessible. Still like Mango overall though, and I'm sure the final build will be even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

markpb wrote: »

Its a firmware update. Not an OS update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Loving all the nice little subtle features Mango has to offer. It does seem a little glitchy but that is to be expected with it being a beta and all. I'm sure the full release will be amazing.

One thing that I'm not too found of is the address bar in IE on the bottom instead of the top, and the tab button is inside a second menu instead of directly accessible. Not the end of the world or anything, maybe it will just take a bit of getting used to.

Looking forward to the final release anyway.

If you chose to open new tabs in a web page.

Then press and hold back. You will see the tabs in multi tasking mode :) its quite handy :) can see all the pages as well

If you chose to open new tabs in a web page.

Then press and hold back. You will see the tabs in multi tasking mode :) its quite handy :) can see all the pages as well

Yea I've been using that too, its a great feature. Thanks though mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Its a firmware update. Not an OS update.
    Got the same on my Optimus. Also firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Yup,

Mango is not due for another view months at least.

Using the beta though I have yet to run into stablity issues, having said that the Optimus 7 is a rock of a phone, best one I have ever own, never an ounce of trouble with it, even with the mango beta installed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement