Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

fjon wrote: »
    Its a firmware update. Not an OS update.
    Got the same on my Optimus. Also firmware?

Yes. It was reported somewhere that omnia and optimus are getting the update.

Mango is quite stable. One of the best beta's I've tested anyway.

Which is good news. The longest process of the os updates are usually bug fixes :) Not adding the features :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

DjFlin wrote: »
    Its just a small update with some minor fixes. Nothing you cant live without for a few days. :)
    Its a firmware update. Not an OS update.

Cheers :) Are these minor updates described anywhere?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Updated mine there. Apparently its a 3rd party certificate for apps issue (prevents certain ones loading).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Hi guys,

I am looking for beta testers, please see: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056330438 for details.

Just got bird and beaks :) to my surprise to see dlc :) you can additionally buy extra maps for Ms points :)

as well its a cool enough game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey folks. I've been looking for a phone with a qwerty keypad. Had a look at the HTC desire z and am considering getting that.

However I see they're are other HTC phones with qwerty on Windows phone 7 like the HTC pro, HTC arrive, LG quantum and HTC merge but that's android.

So what I want to know is are any of these available here in Ireland or handy enough to get online. Also if any has any experience as to which is the best that would be great. Currently watching reviews on them all.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 colinsyron

I don't normally post here but i felt compelled to thank everyone for all the info re the mango update and anything Optimus 7 related. I put Mango on last night and am lovin it so far, the groups and facebook chat are particularly impressive.

So thanks to u all, especially anti-virus for the link to the guide for newbies, never would have done it without that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hey folks. I've been looking for a phone with a qwerty keypad. Had a look at the HTC desire z and am considering getting that.

However I see they're are other HTC phones with qwerty on Windows phone 7 like the HTC pro, HTC arrive, LG quantum and HTC merge but that's android.

So what I want to know is are any of these available here in Ireland or handy enough to get online. Also if any has any experience as to which is the best that would be great. Currently watching reviews on them all.

Thank you.

I dont know if any carriers here offer them, but http://www.expansys.ie/ probably will have it.

I dont know if any carriers here offer them, but http://www.expansys.ie/ probably will have it.

Thank you very much.

Does anyone here have any experience of the HTC 7 Pro? Say versus Desire Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

colinsyron wrote: »
    So thanks to u all, especially anti-virus for the link to the guide for newbies, never would have done it without that!

I was a newbie once as we all were so I like to help out if I can. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Thank you.
    Have you looked at getting an unlocked Dell Venue Pro? They have a slide out qwerty keyboard, run WP7, have a AMOLED capacitive touchscreen screen etc. specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/dell_venue_pro-3280.php

Supposedly going for about $250 in USA at the moment, so you could try ebay for an unlocked one off someone who ships here.

Thank you very much.

Does anyone here have any experience of the HTC 7 Pro? Say versus Desire Z?

Any HTC WP7 or other OEM phones will have the same wp7. The only diff is the app hub.

Desire Z was dropped by CPW for some reason. Whatever is being sold is left over stock.

Try looking up some reviews. Www.phonearema.com is a good enough spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fgaff

Hi all you knowledgeable people, is there anyone out there who can tell me how to set up mms messaging on lg optimus windows 7 for vodafone. VODAFONE DONT HAVE THE SETTINGS ! even though the phone is listed as one of their best sellers on their website! frustrated.

fgaff wrote: »
    Hi all you knowledgeable people, is there anyone out there who can tell me how to set up mms messaging on lg optimus windows 7 for vodafone. VODAFONE DONT HAVE THE SETTINGS ! even though the phone is listed as one of their best sellers on their website! frustrated.

Try doing this:

1. Go to the phone app
    2. Dial ##634# and click Send
    3. When prompted for a password type 277634#*#
    4. You should now be at "Factory Menu"
    5. Choose "Engineer Menu"
    6. Choose "Other Setting"
    7. Verify that "Set ADC" is set to Enable
    8. From the "Other Setting" page, choose "Set network profile"
    9. You should now be on the "Set network profile" page and in the bottom half of the window you should see a list of *.xml files. These appear to be the network configuration files.
    10. Look at the filenames for the config files and select
    _PROV_VDF_IE_272_01_ENG.xml This is for Vodafone Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

1) Type ##634# on your keypad
    2) This opens the MFG password prompt. Enter 277634#*#.
    3) Select 7, Engineering Menu
    4) Select 6, Other Setting followed by Set Network Profiles . .....(please wait a few seconds...reading data) will show on the screen..Then it will display the list of all possible carriers for your handset.
    5) Select the 'network' you require.
    6) Click back button once
    7) Select Set ADC
    8) Ensure its set to enable
    9) Shut down the device. Remove the battery and SIM card, replace just the battery and then restart without the SIM inserted.
    10) Once the device is on, shut down, replace the SIM, and start as normal

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Try doing this:

1. Go to the phone app
    2. Dial ##634# and click Send
    3. When prompted for a password type 277634#*#
    4. You should now be at "Factory Menu"
    5. Choose "Engineer Menu"
    6. Choose "Other Setting"
    7. Verify that "Set ADC" is set to Enable
    8. From the "Other Setting" page, choose "Set network profile"
    9. You should now be on the "Set network profile" page and in the bottom half of the window you should see a list of *.xml files. These appear to be the network configuration files.
    10. Look at the filenames for the config files and select
    _PROV_VDF_IE_272_01_ENG.xml This is for Vodafone Ireland.

I've tried this and when i get to the "Set Network Profile" part the phone says please wait... reading data but then just goes back to app menu? any idea why?
    Thanks

Colin

colinsyron wrote: »
    I've tried this and when i get to the "Set Network Profile" part the phone says please wait... reading data but then just goes back to app menu? any idea why?
    Thanks

Colin

Try uninstalling the MFG app and retry the same steps again. Also it may have selected the correct provisioning file so check that as well.

I'm pretty sure this will only work if you are on the Vodafphone network here unless you have an LG Optimus from Germany that isn't a Vodafone one. To check go into Settings -> About and see if Carrier is Vodafone.

If MMS is really an issue for some people you can down load and flash the LG Optimus 7 open europe firmware. I haven't done it as none of my friends use MMS anymore. It's a bit like Fax :pac:

Got a few more questions you guys have been very helpful so far so thank you for that.

I hear that acessing you data on WP7 when connected to your PC is difficult and restricted. How true is this? Really all I want to be able to do is copy music or videos from my PC to the phone.

Secondly is 8GB of memory on the HTC Pro 7 enough? I mean how big are the various games and apps roughly, that you can get.

Third can you buy games using credit?

Fourth, people say WP7 is more stable than Android. Is this true even for stock android?

Thats all for now I'm sure I'll have more question later. :P Thanks again people. :)

Try uninstalling the MFG app and retry the same steps again. Also it may have selected the correct provisioning file so check that as well.

I'm pretty sure this will only work if you are on the Vodafphone network here unless you have an LG Optimus from Germany that isn't a Vodafone one. To check go into Settings -> About and see if Carrier is Vodafone.

If MMS is really an issue for some people you can down load and flash the LG Optimus 7 open europe firmware. I haven't done it as none of my friends use MMS anymore. It's a bit like Fax :pac:

Uninstalled it but now its not showing anything on the bottom half of the set network profile screen. I have the german optimus 7 vodafone carrier alright. Not too bothered about mms to be honest so don't worry about it. My father still loves em though! God Bless im!:D

It is very straight forward to access your Data (Music, Videos). You just need to install the Zune Client, via Zune.net After install you can do a custom setup to pull in the Data from whatever folder location on the C:
    8 GB is plenty as the apps and games do not take up much space
    Your Credit Card can be added via the Zune Client or via the phone.
    I believe WP7 is very stable I have not had any issues

• Advertisement

simi956 wrote: »
    It is very straight forward to access your Data (Music, Videos). You just need to install the Zune Client, via Zune.net After install you can do a custom setup to pull in the Data from whatever folder location on the C:
    8 GB is plenty as the apps and games do not take up much space
    Your Credit Card can be added via the Zune Client or via the phone.
    I believe WP7 is very stable I have not had any issues

I assume laser would work too?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 fgaff

thanks guys have been trying that. unfortunatly the select network screen only flashes for a split second then it goes back to phone menu.
    any other ideas?!?! slowly losing the will !

I assume laser would work too?

Unfortunately no. You can charge to your phone bill.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/apps/find-and-buy-apps-in-marketplace.aspx

AntiVirus As far as I am aware you cannot charge to your phone bill, the link you sent is for How to Add a CC

Microsoft points even?

simi956 wrote: »
    AntiVirus As far as I am aware you cannot charge to your phone bill, the link you sent is for How to Add a CC

I didn't think you would be able to until Nokia released their WP7 but check out point 5 in the link I posted:
    If you want to buy an app or game:

Tap Buy to buy a paid app. Or tap Try (if available) to try it.

Do one of the following:

If you're trying an app, tap Install.

If you're buying an app, tap Buy, select your payment method (either a credit card or a charge to your phone bill), and then tap Buy again.

fgaff wrote: »
    thanks guys have been trying that. unfortunatly the select network screen only flashes for a split second then it goes back to phone menu.
    any other ideas?!?! slowly losing the will !

Thats very strange?? I've never had that problem? :confused:

Microsoft points even?

No points but people are charging to their phone bill:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_live_on_wp7/f/139/t/10925.aspx

I am going over to the states for three weeks next week and was just wondering what will happen if i put a US sim into my optimus 7. Will Mango still be there and will it automatically link to my windows live account?

Thanks,
    Colin

• Advertisement

Not yet. Hopefully that will change with Nokia comming on.

I think only a couple of carriers managed to get this done so far. But not in Ireland anyway

@Colin

As long as its unlocked it should be grand. Not sure about optimus but double check will the bands work with the network sim you will be trying to use. As certain networks there use different network bands than we do here in US.

For apps and games you can add your credit card to it :) So its no biggie there.
    MS Points only work for getting add on content to the game :) IE. Birds and Beaks has that only so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement