Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Did Midleton not beat Na Piarsaigh and the ultimate winners Sars in last years championship? Bizarre comments to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SigersonCup

Midleton and the Glen are superior to Piarsaighs?

Strange seeing as Piarsaighs beat both of them this year well.

As we're talking about youth set-up's..in a few year's the Glen will be down struggling against relegation, mark my word's. Their under-age is the worst ever.

Na Piarsaigh are a good side but Midleton did beat them in the championship last year. That's the game that matters. Your putting too much weight on league form.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Na Piarsaigh are a good side but Midleton did beat them in the championship last year. That's the game that matters. Your putting too much weight on league form.

That match last year, Piarsaighs gave away a silly goal that day. Their defence is a lot tighter now.

Aswell I'm not sure if you would remember but Midleton were 1 point up late enough in the second half and Piarsaighs had just got a few scores and the momentum was with them. Then Piarsaighs had a sideline and Mark Prendergast tried a short pass to Darren Mannix and it went straight to a Midleton forward who put 2 points between them again, after that it was all over.

If Piarsaighs end up meeting them again, they'll show who's the better side.

We'll see! Granted Midleton aren't going great this year but there is potential for a great team there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Midleton and the Glen are superior to Piarsaighs?

Strange seeing as Piarsaighs beat both of them this year well.

As we're talking about youth set-up's..in a few year's the Glen will be down struggling against relegation, mark my word's. Their under-age is the worst ever.

No one cares about the league old chap, if you are using the league to justify any argument in a GAA discussion then you are heading down the wrong path. And I didn't say anything about the Glen's underage set up, just pointing out where people's expectations regarding Midleton are coming from.

Orizio wrote: »
    No one cares about the league old chap, if you are using the league to justify any argument in a GAA discussion then you are heading down the wrong path. And I didn't say anything about the Glen's underage set up, just pointing out where people's expectations regarding Midleton are coming from.

We'll just wait and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭longpuck

The comment and post was bitter. The question was loaded and impossible to answer. Very simple to understand.

Alot of comments by people hear about Walsh and McCarthy could be considered bitter yet you and others dont find it impossible to answer or comment on that, i wonder why that is?

It seemd a very easy question to answer if you ask me

longpuck wrote: »
    Alot of comments by people hear about Walsh and McCarthy could be considered bitter yet you and others dont find it impossible to answer or comment on that, i wonder why that is?

It seemd a very easy question to answer if you ask me

We've moved on now, please stop boring me.

We'll just wait and see what happens.

As an aside, what is your problem with the Glen underage? A quick look through Rebel Og suggests they are holding their own underage.

• Advertisement

We've moved on now, please stop boring me.

Again no answer surprise surprise

Orizio Moderators on most threads (im sure you do it too) keep at someone till they get the answer they want but i bet its not so nice when someone does it to you now is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Get a room lads!

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Get a room lads!

Eh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Eh?

There seems to be alot of posts between the two of you about answering questions .... commenting....moving on.....not answering comments...blah blah blah...would have thought that was obvious.....apparently not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Back to Cork GAA matters I read earlier that the clubs have till August 2nd to give their suggestions on a hurling manager to the county board. Walsh's days look numbered so a new manager is on the cards.

Tomas Mulcahy would be a popular choice but he'll probably stay with RTE. No harm to see the County board acting with immediate effect on this rather than letting it drag on till the winter.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Back to Cork GAA matters I read earlier that the clubs have till August 2nd to give their suggestions on a hurling manager to the county board. Walsh's days look numbered so a new manager is on the cards.

Tomas Mulcahy would be a popular choice but he'll probably stay with RTE. No harm to see the County board acting with immediate effect on this rather than letting it drag on till the winter.

I would imagine Muller is quite happy where he is at RTE but unfortunately I think it will drag on till the winter, the CB have a habit of dragging things on a bit. Not sure who I would like .... O'Grady would be my first choice but he is busy elsewhere unfortuntely. Who would people like in charge? Who is available? ( Presuming Walsh will be replaced )

I would imagine Muller is quite happy where he is at RTE but unfortunately I think it will drag on till the winter, the CB have a habit of dragging things on a bit. Not sure who I would like .... O'Grady would be my first choice but he is busy elsewhere unfortuntely. Who would people like in charge? Who is available? ( Presuming Walsh will be replaced )
    Hard to know who'll take over. I doubt their will be too many participants eager to become manager! Has anyone ever considered a manager from outside the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

From looking at media reports today it seems Limerick want O Grady to stay on for one more year after this year. If the county board have any sense they should approach him asap and offer him the job. Give him a carte blanche, total control over team and management affairs with the promise of no interference. O Grady is an autocrat, it's his way or no way and that's what Cork hurling needs. This system about inviting all the clubs in the county to offer ideas as well as input from players as to the selection process for the new manager will not work IMO, the saying "too many cooks" springs to mind. Time for someone to grab the bull by the horns and impose themselves as the leader of Cork hurling. If O Grady doesn't get the job, personally I would like to see Ger Cunningham or Ger Fitz be appointed, both great servants to Cork hurling all their lives.

Hard to know who'll take over. I doubt their will be too many participants eager to become manager! Has anyone ever considered a manager from outside the county?

Personally I would not like to see an outside manager come in, there are enough coaches in Cork that are well able to do the job

• Advertisement

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    From looking at media reports today it seems Limerick want O Grady to stay on for one more year after this year. If the county board have any sense they should approach him asap and offer him the job. Give him a carte blanche, total control over team and management affairs with the promise of no interference. O Grady is an autocrat, it's his way or no way and that's what Cork hurling needs. This system about inviting all the clubs in the county to offer ideas as well as input from players as to the selection process for the new manager will not work IMO, the saying "too many cooks" springs to mind. Time for someone to grab the bull by the horns and impose themselves as the leader of Cork hurling. If O Grady doesn't get the job, personally I would like to see Ger Cunningham or Ger Fitz be appointed, both great servants to Cork hurling all their lives.
    I'd like Ger Fitz but I'm sure some will try and stop this because of his close ties with Gearld Mac. John Considine is another who'd give 100% to the job I'm sure.

I think there will be alot of interested people in the job, the Cork hurling manager is still one of the top profile jobs to have. I doubt they will go looking outside the county....that might depend on who is available within the county of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

I'd like Ger Fitz but I'm sure some will try and stop this because of his close ties with Gearld Mac. John Considine is another who'd give 100% to the job I'm sure.

To give John Considine his due, he did actually coach a team to bet Kerry at underage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joeabu

Cork employ a outside coach for hurling???? Your having a laugh. There would be riots in the streets.. And Considine isnt up to senior county management. The likes of brian corcoran need to be approached. Someone who the young hurlers in the county can relate to and be inspired to play for.

Well it seems a manager outside the county isn't required for Cork judging by the replies I got and I'm not surprised with that reaction,I put it out there to see if it was something that hurling fans in the county would consider but no is the answer. Will be interesting whoever gets the job if Walsh is replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Cant see people lining up in their droves for the hurling job.I'd wait to see how Ger Fitzgerald does with the u21s and maybe we could do what Tipp did with Liam Sheedy if he does well.Sheedy was manager of Tipp Intermediates for a spell and won a minor All-Ireland with Tipp too so maybe promoting from within is a good system to follow.

Just seen the Cork team for Saturday night's game, I'm hoping against hope that he doesn't start with this 15, Cadogan is a much better full back than Canty, Cotter should be playing in the corner. This is a very slick Down forward line we're playing against, living up here in Down I can tell you the locals are more than happy with the way our defence is selected, believe me guys and girls these fellas are really up for this one. We're gona have to be really sharp on Saturday night, otherwise we'll be beaten. Glad to see Gould get his chance, he's been knocking on the door for a while, granted he starts because of our injuries but I hope he cements his place on the team. I'll get the ball rolling on predictions, Cork to win but they may need extra time to get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Just seen the Cork team for Saturday night's game, I'm hoping against hope that he doesn't start with this 15, Cadogan is a much better full back than Canty, Cotter should be playing in the corner. This is a very slick Down forward line we're playing against, living up here in Down I can tell you the locals are more than happy with the way our defence is selected, believe me guys and girls these fellas are really up for this one. We're gona have to be really sharp on Saturday night, otherwise we'll be beaten. Glad to see Gould get his chance, he's been knocking on the door for a while, granted he starts because of our injuries but I hope he cements his place on the team. I'll get the ball rolling on predictions, Cork to win but they may need extra time to get over the line.

According to tonights Echo Kissane and Jamie O Sullivan will make way for Cotter and Cadogan.Shields will switch to 3 with Cotter and Cadogan at 2 & 4.Miskella will pick up Danny Hughes.Be interesting to see if Clarke gets the roaming role or whether he will stick to 15 like against Antrim.If he does start to roam you'd imagine Noel O' Leary would be the one to pick him up given the job he did on him last year.Canty is expected to play at 6.I think Cork should have enough to win this game by 1 or 2 points.Hopefully without ET as the Q/F will be on the weekend after.

Well said Rebel Fan. I really think Cork have a hard battle on their hands and I expect a very tight game like last year's All Ireland final with Cork scraping home by a point or 2 and as you said possibly extra time will be needed for Cork to get over the winning line.

• Advertisement

Well said Rebel Fan. I really think Cork have a hard battle on their hands and I expect a very tight game like last year's All Ireland final with Cork scraping home by a point or 2 and as you said possibly extra time will be needed for Cork to get over the winning line.

I can see Cork winning this one by 5 or 6. As commented, Canty at 6 and Shields starting makes our defence look a lot better. As for our forwards, they will surely enjoy alot of posession in the wide open spaces of Croker and will make enough progress over the 70 odd mins to make it count. I'm not expecting as tight a game as last September as I think Down peaked for that. Neither team will peak on Saturday but Cork's overall strength and experience I think will see us through. There is no doubt Down will put it up to us but I cannot see them beating us unless we have a sending off or someting - here's hoping!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement