Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

It wouldn't really surprise me if Cork don't win an All Ireland hurling title this decade I believe there's so much work to do on hurling in the county. It's time to blood new young lads on to the team and for past heroes to say farewell.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Orizio wrote: »
    Well there was a five year plan put in place (or else put forward to the CCB) a year or so back which looked excellent, and apparently there is a massive amount of new coaches in the county over the last couple of years plus full-time development coaches (not sure if they are still in place) and underage development squads. At the same time a lot of people are still saying Cork hurling underage is nowhere near as well prepared as the footballers, so who knows if things are getting better.

Well tbh I've read the report and the one thing that struck me was the amount of volunteers that they were assuming would come on board an implement things like schools programmes, people that are knee deep in work and barely enough time to stay involved in the club

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

The Cork U21 Hurling team to play Tipperary on Friday night will line out as follows:

1. Darren Mc Carthy
    Ballymartle

2. Christopher Joyce 3. Eddie Finn 4. Seamus Corry
    Na Piarsaigh Ballinhassig Ballymartle

5. James Nagle 6. William Egan 7. Mark Ellis
    Midleton Kilbrin Millstreet

8. Seamus O'Farrell 9. Daniel Roche
    Midleton Sarsfields

10. Dean Brosnan 11. Conor Lehane 12. Aidan Walsh
    Glen Rovers Midleton Kanturk

13. Luke O Farrell 14. Michael O'Sullivan 15. Jamie Coughlan
    Midleton Tracton Newtownshandrum

Subs:

16. Michael O'Neill Bishopstown
    17. Brendan Withers Banteer
    18. Brian Collins Killeagh
    19. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarrs
    20. Maurice Sexton Kilbrittain
    21. David Drake Carrigaline
    22. Eoin O'Sullivan Sarsfields
    23. Seamus Harnedy St. Itas
    24. Simon O'Brien Carrigaline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Well tbh I've read the report and the one thing that struck me was the amount of volunteers that they were assuming would come on board an implement things like schools programmes, people that are knee deep in work and barely enough time to stay involved in the club

There are plenty of 'untapped' people out there though, the populations of East Cork, Cork City etc have exploded in recent years. Membership drives seem to be something the vast majority of GAA clubs have no interest in - the only time you get GAA lads at your door is if they are looking for money for draws etc, and then they still go to local GAA families.

Show Time wrote: »
    Long road ahead so.:(

We have a couple of very good U-16 hurlers this year tbf. Even if the structures are bad we'll always produce a few good hurlers as the clubs largely seem to know what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

We have a couple of very good U-16 hurlers this year tbf. Even if the structures are bad we'll always produce a few good hurlers as the clubs largely seem to know what they are doing.
    One good club team in place and then you are in with a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Indie. wrote: »
    The Cork U21 Hurling team to play Tipperary on Friday night will line out as follows:

1. Darren Mc Carthy
    Ballymartle

2. Christopher Joyce 3. Eddie Finn 4. Seamus Corry
    Na Piarsaigh Ballinhassig Ballymartle

5. James Nagle 6. William Egan 7. Mark Ellis
    Midleton Kilbrin Millstreet

8. Seamus O'Farrell 9. Daniel Roche
    Midleton Sarsfields

10. Dean Brosnan 11. Conor Lehane 12. Aidan Walsh
    Glen Rovers Midleton Kanturk

13. Luke O Farrell 14. Michael O'Sullivan 15. Jamie Coughlan
    Midleton Tracton Newtownshandrum

Subs:

16. Michael O'Neill Bishopstown
    17. Brendan Withers Banteer
    18. Brian Collins Killeagh
    19. Damien Cahalane St. Finbarrs
    20. Maurice Sexton Kilbrittain
    21. David Drake Carrigaline
    22. Eoin O'Sullivan Sarsfields
    23. Seamus Harnedy St. Itas
    24. Simon O'Brien Carrigaline

Anybody else agree that it doesn't make sense how Maurice Sexton can start for Cork Intermediates but not the u21's?

Carthy303 wrote: »
    Anybody else agree that it doesn't make sense how Maurice Sexton can start for Cork Intermediates but not the u21's?

Not really as there are 11 lads who play senior hurling who are on the starting team. This would make them illegible for the intermediates. It also has to be taken in to account that some lads would not make themselves available to the intermediates so they might not have their strongest 15 out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

[QUOTE=Indie.;73291504]Not really as there are 11 lads who play senior hurling who are on the starting team. This would make them illegible for the intermediates. It also has to be taken in to account that some lads would not make themselves available to the intermediates so they might not have their strongest 15 out.[/QUOTE]

Rule was changed this year so that definetly has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Rule was changed this year so that definetly has nothing to do with it.

Has'nt changed for Cork and KK, Tipp used to be included in that rule but over the last few years we removed relegation from Senior and now have a redicilous 32 senior club teams, thats why it was removed in Tipp, but with other restrictions in place.

• Advertisement

Not really, U-21s is a decent bit better then Intermediates. I like Sexton but he seems to carry a bit of weight and is pretty inconsistent.

I like Sexton but he seems to carry a bit of weight and is pretty inconsistent.

In fairness he has been plagued with injuries for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Has'nt changed for Cork and KK, Tipp used to be included in that rule but over the last few years we removed relegation from Senior and now have a redicilous 32 senior club teams, thats why it was removed in Tipp, but with other restrictions in place.

Seems harsh on Kilkenny. I mean the population there isn't huge like. Apologies for my ignorance by the way to the previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Cork under 15's are taking on Dublin this weekend and Kilkenny the weekend after.

Seems harsh on Kilkenny. I mean the population there isn't huge like. Apologies for my ignorance by the way to the previous poster.

No hassle.

The problem lies with the amount of senior teams in Tipp(32 i think).Killkenny only have 12 and Cork 16 so this invariably puts Tipp at a disadvantage in regards to players being eligible.Even with the rule change they still lost the first round to Cork.

A crazy situation is after arising for young Cork dual player Aidan Walsh. The Duhallow board are after fixing his local team Kanturk's junior football championship game against Dromtarrife on Sunday night,2 nights after his appearance with Cork under 21 hurlers and 6 days before a probable appearance with Cork in an All Ireland football qualifier!

Surely the CCC will force the Duhallow board to cancel the Kanturk game? Mind you the Duhallow board have a habit of making howlers of decisions,last year they gave Kanturk footballers a bye straight to the semi final of the Duhallow championship despite them losing 1 of their round robin games using the excuse that Aidan been involved with Cork left them with no alternative but to promote Kanturk to the semis so the championship could be played off in time!

No hassle.

The problem lies with the amount of senior teams in Tipp(32 i think).Killkenny only have 12 and Cork 16 so this invariably puts Tipp at a disadvantage in regards to players being eligible.Even with the rule change they still lost the first round to Cork.

Yeah 32 is right and also Tipp are only allowed play plyers who are aged between 21-27 and that are not part of any other Tipperary intercounty panel

The divisional boards are only interested in running off games.Sure two days after last years All-Ireland final Ciaran Sheehan had to play a u21 club game

The divisional boards are only interested in running off games.Sure two days after last years All-Ireland final Ciaran Sheehan had to play a u21 club game
    I forgot that. Unbelievable is all it can be described as!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Yeah 32 is right and also Tipp are only allowed play plyers who are aged between 21-27 and that are not part of any other Tipperary intercounty panel

Really? Thats crazy

• Advertisement

sendit wrote: »
    Really? Thats crazy

I think whats crazy is 32 senior clubs when in reality only 20 max can be considereded anywhere near senior standard, the stipulations re. age and not been part of any other Tipp panel were actually imposed by our own county board so as to give the effect that the Tipp intermediate team would become a development squad for the senior panel, for those not quite ready at 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

dartbhoy wrote: »
    A crazy situation is after arising for young Cork dual player Aidan Walsh. The Duhallow board are after fixing his local team Kanturk's junior football championship game against Dromtarrife on Sunday night,2 nights after his appearance with Cork under 21 hurlers and 6 days before a probable appearance with Cork in an All Ireland football qualifier!

Surely the CCC will force the Duhallow board to cancel the Kanturk game? Mind you the Duhallow board have a habit of making howlers of decisions,last year they gave Kanturk footballers a bye straight to the semi final of the Duhallow championship despite them losing 1 of their round robin games using the excuse that Aidan been involved with Cork left them with no alternative but to promote Kanturk to the semis so the championship could be played off in time!

Any update on this? We are supposed to be playing Kanturk in a challenge game on Sunday!

Not really as there are 11 lads who play senior hurling who are on the starting team. This would make them illegible for the intermediates. It also has to be taken in to account that some lads would not make themselves available to the intermediates so they might not have their strongest 15 out.

I think you'll find your mistaken.Brian Corry and Darren Mccarthy from Ballymartle,a senior club,played intermediate for Cork this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

I think you'll find your mistaken.Brian Corry and Darren Mccarthy from Ballymartle,a senior club,played intermediate for Cork this year!

It goes on the previous year; in 2010 ballymartle were intermediate therefore the players in question are eligible to play intermediate for cork in 2011

Basically if you have NOT played senior hurling the year before you can play intermediate

dartbhoy wrote: »

Seems that these situations are never dealt with properly in Duhallow!seem to remember a similar story before a cork u21 football game this year!

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    It goes on the previous year; in 2010 ballymartle were intermediate therefore the players in question are eligible to play intermediate for cork in 2011

Basically if you have NOT played senior hurling the year before you can play intermediate

Ah right my mistake then!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Great win tonight, some excellent performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

PREMIERSTONE, and you said Aidan Walsh couldn't play senior hurling, apologies on a postcard please!!! He won some some great ball tonight and only for some wayward shooting we would've won by alot more. That humble pie is defrosting as we speak! ;)

Rebel Fan wrote: »
    PREMIERSTONE, and you said Aidan Walsh couldn't play senior hurling, apologies on a postcard please!!! He won some some great ball tonight and only for some wayward shooting we would've won by alot more. That humble pie is defrosting as we speak! ;)

Sorry Rebel, I did not say that try sticking to the facts, you claimed he would walk on to any senior team in the country which of course I laughed at as it is a redicilous claim, he was excellent if not a little errant tonight, but trust me them 6 backs from Tipp wouldnt get anywhere near a senior team.

• Advertisement

slingerz wrote: »
    Any update on this? We are supposed to be playing Kanturk in a challenge game on Sunday!
    Common sense has prevailed in Duhallow and the game between Kanturk and Dromtarrife has been postponed. Someone told me today that Kanturk are playing a challenge game Saturday evening in their home pitch?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement