Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vivario

4 stars (good)
    As i said yesterday,
    http://newphotostyle.com/ Upload is still in progress. Finally should be 1.5k+
    2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    mine measured 26.46 and i ran the rcing line 90% of the race i noticed the distance jump out of the tunnel as expected but i think the distance was mostly gained in the first 3 miles before the field spread out.
    i was .1 out by the first mile it was busy in the 4hr section and couldnt get to the racing line much for the first three defo where i gained a bit of distance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Congrats to everybody on Cork. I've been reading the reports with interest. For anyone who has done both how would you think that Cork compares to Dublin in terms of the course? Is it faster/slower, flatter/hiller etc.? I'm considering it for next year.

P.S. Even forgetting about tunnels Garmin's aren't 100% accurate. They're plenty good enough for training though!

3 stars (average)
    I Really struggled with the steep down hill bit there at the end of the model farm road i think it was (22.5ish)!
    jarred my knee going down it trying to slow myself down had to go easy for 2 miles to make sure i finished before the crowd acted as a pain killer for the last mile.
    anyone else have trouble there? i was great untill there

any advice for those downhill steep bits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    I Really struggled with the steep down hill bit there at the end of the model farm road i think it was (22.5ish)!
    jarred my knee going down it trying to slow myself down had to go easy for 2 miles to make sure i finished before the crowd acted as a pain killer for the last mile.
    anyone else have trouble there? i was great untill there

any advice for those downhill steep bits?

Don't try to slow yourself down :D Let gravity do all the work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Clearlier wrote: »
    Congrats to everybody on Cork. I've been reading the reports with interest. For anyone who has done both how would you think that Cork compares to Dublin in terms of the course? Is it faster/slower, flatter/hiller etc.? I'm considering it for next year.

P.S. Even forgetting about tunnels Garmin's aren't 100% accurate. They're plenty good enough for training though!

I'd say that Cork is a bit flatter. We were blessed with the weather yesterday so there were plenty of crowds and support. That said there are still a lot more runners and support in Dublin. Overall they are pretty similar in terms of easiness in my Opinion.

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't try to slow yourself down :D Let gravity do all the work.

I wouldnt of made the bend at speed at that point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    Another vote for no bikes. People on the bikes that had never ran a race crossed my path a few times. I also saw one fool at the 1/2 start going full speed weaving in and out of people. Gardai should be instrusted to send the bikes back the way they came to stop it increasing next year. People thinking its ok to cycle fast (like they are in a race) through realy change-over points. I have no issue with bikes only that there is a few bad apples that don't understand that the runners take priority in the race and they should not intimidate them or cycle close to them in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

4 stars (good)
    Cork was my 4th marathon. Ran 3:03:38 in DCM 2010 so had aspirations of 3:00. Training went well enough maybe not as much mileage as DCM last year but still felt in good nick. Started off with the 3:00 pace group :eek: and held on until just before the halfway mark, 1st half 1:29:59!! Then the wheels fell off!! Last 10 miles were torturous but didn't stop just 'shuffled' on and finished in 3:18. Just wasn't firing.

Thought the crowds were great in Cork from the local support to the relay runners waiting for their leg.

Also have to give huge credit to the pacers, especially Mick Rice, the lone ranger at the end! Also to 3:15 pacers who tried to get me to hang on to their coat tails as they passed me around the 24 mile mark. Not to be but thanks anyways.

Well done to everyone, the pain in the legs will subside.....I hope!

All in all found the event very well organised. As I finished I was thinking never again but now I'm thinking what I should change for DCM '11!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks Meno.

Just had a look at the website and it seems that bikes were banned from the course. Sounds like it wasn't enforced though. Bad news is that the writer on the website perpetuates the dangerous myth about drinking. Odd that it goes from great advice about walking at water stations to ensure you can drink properly to suggesting that you drink even after your thirst is quenched.

Elnino - You could try practicing running downhill. There's a particular technique required. Best session for this is Kenyan hills (same effort up and down). I'm sure youtube will have some tips but if you've ever snowboarded it's the same principle about leaning forwards and down the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

4 stars (good)
    Bikes are banned and I have in previous years seen Gardai stopping people. But then how are you going to get them all to cycle responsiblely when half the cyclist I see on the street don't even wear helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

4 stars (good)
    Did it as my 1st marathon yesterday, 4'21" nothing special but considering my training wasn't quite what it could be I'm happy with that. I was disappointed though to see the 4 hour balloons with their followers slowly disappearing into the distance but thought better of trying to hang on.

Great day out, think the relay adds to it as it was nice to see familiar faces every few miles. We'd a lot of teams in from work so a big thumbs up to it, it got a lot of people out who wouldn't normally do a race.

Nice to see the crowds out, especially the people giving out oranges and haribo down near the Lough, nice gesture.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    Bikes are banned and I have in previous years seen Gardai stopping people. But then how are you going to get them all to cycle responsiblely when half the cyclist I see on the street don't even wear helmets.

not to drag this entire thread off topic but helmets are not a requirement by law so your comment is somewhat meaningless.

In fact a helmet would likely do more good and save more lives each year if motorists wore them when driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rich1982

3 stars (average)
    rich1982 wrote: »
    Good call on the Toenails. I forgot to do it on a long run a few weeks ago and my big Toenail turned nasty. Had to have it pulled off by the doctor this morning. On antibiotics now for that and a chest infection. Getting physio on my knee as it went from under me on mile 20 of my 20 mile run before the taper and painful to run any distance since. Just going to rest up and hope for the best.

Pretty crap preparation for my first marathon. All for a good cause though, so I'll be walking/crawling to the finish if it comes to it...

Managed to limp around in a very painful 4:22:59. Decided to wear a camelbak with lucozade sport at the last minute as I was sure I'd be on the course 7 or 8 hours hobbling. Also bought an IT band strap through devine inspiration the day before even though the physio ruled out ITBS. He must have been wrong though cause when the pain kicked in after mile 2 it was up towards my hip more than my knee.

I knew stopping would be a bad idea, but had to pee in the bushes around the Blackrock walkway - the antibiotics, neurofen, banana, jelly beans and lucozade were playing havok on my stomach and at the risk of being crude, it was a choice of relieve pressure through the front door or risk it coming out the back :-) When I started running again my knee was in excruciating pain for the next 2 miles until I got a rythem going and the pain shifted further up the leg again.

I was thrilled as I started to pass out a good few marathoners from 20 miles on even with all the odds against me. I tried to sprint for the finish but as soon as I changed pace the hamstring locked so you may have seen me squeezing my shorts as I hobbled over the line :-)

Thrilled on Monday evening that I finished under the circumstances, wouldn't have shown up on the day only for the funds raised. Since Tuesday morning though I can't help wondering how fast I could run a marathon if I wasn't injured and sick. This was my first race since primary school sports day so I'm not a runner, but I'm already tempted to have another go...

PS: The Half Marathoners gave fantastic encouragement as they passed by in the last 2 or 3 miles so huge thanks, it was a big help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    Are the chip times up anywhere yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Are the chip times up anywhere yet?

Only seems to be chiptimes up for the full, not the half or relay.

Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Half Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Half%20Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Team Relay provisional results (PDF)http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Relay%20provisional%20results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    Only seems to be chiptimes up for the full, not the half or relay.

Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Half Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Half%20Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Team Relay provisional results (PDF)http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Relay%20provisional%20results.pdf

Don't think they'll have chip times for the relay as its the last runner that has the chip so its gun to chip time.
    Not sure about the half marathon. Was there a mat at the start of half marathon in mahon. If there was then there should be a chip time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 justmark

out of all the photos of the Marathon there doesn't seem to be any photos taken of section B. I ran this section, and I can't find any photos in any of the websites between Silversprings and Mahon:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    justmark wrote: »
    out of all the photos of the Marathon there doesn't seem to be any photos taken of section B. I ran this section, and I can't find any photos in any of the websites between Silversprings and Mahon:(

Don't feel so bad. I ran the 1/2 and am yet to find a single photo of myself :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Have found one photo of myself so far, was really hoping on a finish line shot but no luck so far. Oh well

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Have found one photo of myself so far, was really hoping on a finish line shot but no luck so far. Oh well

There was a photographer at the finish and i heard the ccm official website is going to have photos up searchable by bib numbers soon
    plus i think they might have videos of the finish

I reckon they might take awhile to sort all of them tho, thats a ot of pics!

4 stars (good)
    Send me your numbers lads in PM. I will check my pictures , maybe that help.

3 stars (average)
    vivario wrote: »
    Send me your numbers lads in PM. I will check my pictures , maybe that help.

288 would love a finish shot if i dont look too in pain
    thanks

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    288 would love a finish shot if i dont look too in pain
    thanks
    9.jpg

I hope you can find more on www.newphotostyle.com

3 stars (average)
    wow that was quick thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Just back online now after the big day, I found the whole event very well run. Finished 3:36 which is a new pb so happy with that considering I didn't follow a training plan as such. Found myself in front of the 3:30 pacers by mistake as I was late getting to the start and just jumped the barriers after running from city hall! As a spur of the moment thing I decided to let them pass but stay with them for the first few miles as I felt good (possibly spurred on by adrenaline and excitement after nearly missing the start) Copped on to myself after about 4 miles that it was a bad idea to go with the sub 3:30 as I had run all my long runs with a sub 3:40 time in mind. slowed down 20 seconds per mile or so to planed pace and the race passed by without too much stress, and was actually regretting not going for the 3:30 but think the right decision was made. Really looking forward to going for the 3:2x with a proper training plan under my belt now.

Thanks to all who gave advise and tips on the run up to the race on this thread and indeed forum- a great source of info as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Haven't come across any photos either. Vivario, could you check yours for 981? Cheers.

Some vid clips up HERE now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    vivario wrote: »
    9.jpg

I hope you can find more on www.newphotostyle.com

Nice pics
    going to have a scan now for 3165.

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Haven't come across any photos either. Vivario, could you check yours for 981? Cheers.

Some vid clips up HERE now

Here you Go! Click...

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Nice pics
    going to have a scan now for 3165.

Sorry my friend. This man was so happy. (at front of you)

10.jpg

Advertisement