Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    corked wrote: »
    Did 10.5miles today and legs felt good but was pretty slow. :rolleyes:

Just been thinking about my race plan.
    I really want to break the sub 4 mark and perhaps come in at 3hr 50 - 3hr 55.

Would I be a fool to follow the sub 3h45 guys till about mile 13/14 and then fall back a bit?
    Works out 8min 35sec per min mile and that would bring me in at 1hr 52min at mile 13.
    That then allows me to fall back a bit on the last half using the sub 4 pacers as a backup plan. (it gives me an 7 min buffer which is about 30sec per mile).

Am I foolish to do this? :confused:
    Should I just stick with the sub 4 pacers at the start......

If you followed the 3'45 pacers and dropped off and were caught by the 4hour pacers, I can guarantee you you will not make 4hrs. Having done plenty of pacing gigs before, I cannot remember anyone who was slowing down managing to up the pace and hang on (except for people I have caught with less than a mile to go).

Your best options are either to go out at 4hr pace and speed up over the 2nd half. Or else just use the pace groups as a guide and go in between the two groups at a steady pace (8'45-8'50/mile) that you can hold onto for the whole race.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

For anyone doing the Half-Marathon, I have just put up some info about the start on the Running in Cork blog.....http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2011/05/looking-ahead-to-start-of-cork-city.html

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    Take your pick of:
    1. 17 degrees - plenty of sunshine. Winds from the NNW at 17 km/h.
    2. 17 degrees - More sun than clouds. Mild wind : 19 mph / NNE
    3. 8-14 degrees - cloudy with sunshine- Gentle breeze, 11 mph from north-northwest

Summary:
    Not cold, could be warm. Wind will be from north-ish. Low chance of rain.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Have my accommodation booked for Sunday night so all set for Monday, my last LSR done yesterday at just around 13miles and it was a fast enough pace.

Abit worried I didn't manage my third 20mile run before my first marathon but too late now :) Guess its just a case of sticking with the 4hour pacers and hoping for the best now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Dont know what the temp is out today but Im just back from a very short run and I'm sweating buckets. Please please dont be warm out next Monday from 9am- 1pm!!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Dont know what the temp is out today but Im just back from a very short run and I'm sweating buckets. Please please dont be warm out next Monday from 9am- 1pm!!

According to met.ie the current temp in Cork is 11 degrees. Rest of country seems to be in or around that figure too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

4 stars (good)
    Yikes:eek: is that all? Im going to melt so if its 17 degrees next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Abit worried I didn't manage my third 20mile run before my first marathon but too late now :) Guess its just a case of sticking with the 4hour pacers and hoping for the best now.

2 is plenty, don't worry, you'll be fine on the day. Meno will get you around!

3 stars (average)
    Folks, a few of us were discussing this morning (after Donore 5k) about booking a table for grub on Sunday night in Luigi Malone's for say 7.00pm.

All are most welcome

Confirmed for Dinner:
    Chinguetti
    Mr Slow
    Digger
    Menoscemo
    Claralara
    Rainbow Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

mrslow wrote: »
    Folks, a few of us were discussing this morning (after Donore 5k) about booking a table for grub on Sunday night in Luigi Malone's for say 7.00pm.

All are most welcome

Confirmed for Dinner:
    Chinguetti
    Mr Slow
    Digger
    Menoscemo
    Claralara
    Rainbow Kirby

Folks, as a local who also knows what it's like to be away the night before running a marathon I'd say you need to be careful with Luigi's. The service is not the fastest for groups so you'd need to book for closer to 6pm to be sure to be out reasonably early. A 7pm booking won't be clear of the place until closer to 10pm. Also, the pasta menu is limited enough. It's a good restaurant for a group - but not if you're running a marathon early the next morning.

If you're looking for a good Italian-style (i.e. good pasta choice) menu served reasonably promptly in a decent restaurant then you are probably better off to go for

Ristorante Rossini or Castelli Romani - both on Princes Street in the city centre. Rossini's highlighted on attached map - about 250m from the startline :)

160993.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Take your pick of:
    1. 17 degrees - plenty of sunshine. Winds from the NNW at 17 km/h.
    2. 17 degrees - More sun than clouds. Mild wind : 19 mph / NNE
    3. 8-14 degrees - cloudy with sunshine- Gentle breeze, 11 mph from north-northwest

Summary:
    Not cold, could be warm. Wind will be from north-ish. Low chance of rain.

If I was to choose a strong wind, I'd choose winds from the North. The most exposed part of the course are miles 12 & 13 so northerly winds would be with you at that point which would be a massive help. Miles 14 & 15 are very sheltered so you won't get the negative of then running into the same wind. Likewise, very advantageous to have the wind with you around miles 17/18. The majority of the route is running either easterly or westerly so wind less of a factor elsewhere on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

a few of us were discussing this morning (after Donore 5k) about booking a table for grub on Sunday night in Luigi Malone's for say 7.00pm.

All are most welcome

Confirmed for Dinner:
    Chinguetti
    Mr Slow
    Digger
    Menoscemo
    Claralara
    Rainbow Kirby
    Racheljev

Putting myself in, in the hope I get to Cork at a reasonable time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

4 stars (good)
    a few of us were discussing this morning (after Donore 5k) about booking a table for grub on Sunday night in Luigi Malone's for say 7.00pm.

All are most welcome

Confirmed for Dinner:
    Chinguetti
    Mr Slow
    Digger
    Menoscemo
    Claralara
    Rainbow Kirby
    Racheljev
    Vagga

It may be a good idea to trust KentuckyPete and go with the local knowledge, unless someone has shares in Luigis or something :)

4 stars (good)
    All are most welcome

Confirmed for Dinner:
    Chinguetti
    Mr Slow
    Digger
    Menoscemo
    Claralara
    Rainbow Kirby
    Racheljev
    Vagga
    TF Bubendorfer

I'll book something tomorrow at the latest. I'll probably go with Kentucky petes recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Just wondering what others are planning for the next week in terms of training? I know it very much depends on your training plan, ability etc but in general do people find it best to do the majority of this weeks milage over the first half of the week leading up to race day with consecutive rest days towards the end of the week or spread the milage out over the week with rest days interspersed throughout?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just wondering what others are planning for the next week in terms of training? I know it very much depends on your training plan, ability etc but in general do people find it best to do the majority of this weeks milage over the first half of the week leading up to race day with consecutive rest days towards the end of the week or spread the milage out over the week with rest days interspersed throughout?

What I do (just what works for me and based on a peak training mileage of about 60mpw) is the last long run was yesterday (14 m).
    Nothing today (monday).
    4 tomorrow - same as normal
    6 on wednesday - half a normal wednesday
    3 on thursday (maybe 4) - half a normal thursday
    2 or 3 on Friday
    Nothing on Saturday
    2 on Sunday - for the nerves - stops me freaking out.

All these runs are at an easy jog and no hero stuff that will lead to niggles and worries.

Most of next week is for the head and not the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    Done my last LSR on friday, a handy 13.1miles at 8.55 pace..

I like to run fresh so nothing till tuesday, then maybe do 5miles nice and easy, nothing wednesday and maybe 4 miles thursday and then round off with 3miles saturday morning, all very easy going....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)
    Mon: Cut Toenails
    Tue: 3 miles
    Wed: 4 miles + massage
    Thu: 3 miles + shave leg for Kinesio Tape
    Fri: Sleep + eat
    Sat: Sleep + eat
    Sun: 2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    That looks fine as long as it's not too windy.

As an aside, I'll be pacing 4 hours at the marathon and wearing a boards top. So any boardsies following the group, make sure to come up and say hello.

Will the pace sections be easy to find on the start line? its my first marathon and my plan is just under 4hrs so ill be joining you, altho im hoping to push on a bit after 20miles if i feel good, not guna chance pushing till then tho worried ill end up over 4 hr if i do and dont have the legs am i right in thinking that?

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    Will the pace sections be easy to find on the start line? its my first marathon and my plan is just under 4hrs so ill be joining you, altho im hoping to push on a bit after 20miles if i feel good, not guna chance pushing till then tho worried ill end up over 4 hr if i do and dont have the legs am i right in thinking that?

That's perfect thinking and sounds like a good race strategy.

There are no pace sections as such. The pacers will have balloons attatched and be standing in an appropriate place before the start. As such, you'll find the 4hr pacers around about the middle of the pack at the start line. We'll be pacing off chip time (the time when we actually cross the start line) so to get under 4 hours, start alongside or just behind us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    Perfect see you then, looking forward to it now was worried about my strategy but knowing youll be pacing will be a big help so thanks, its good of people to run as pacers hope you know we all appreciate it.

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    its good of people to run as pacers hope you know we all appreciate it.

Thanks. I really enjoy the pacing actually. Nice to be part of the big race atmosphere.

While we pacers do the races for pleassure rather than financial gain, we do accept payment in the form of pints after the race :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rich1982

3 stars (average)
    Mon: Cut Toenails
    Tue: 3 miles
    Wed: 4 miles + massage
    Thu: 3 miles + shave leg for Kinesio Tape
    Fri: Sleep + eat
    Sat: Sleep + eat
    Sun: 2 miles

Good call on the Toenails. I forgot to do it on a long run a few weeks ago and my big Toenail turned nasty. Had to have it pulled off by the doctor this morning. On antibiotics now for that and a chest infection. Getting physio on my knee as it went from under me on mile 20 of my 20 mile run before the taper and painful to run any distance since. Just going to rest up and hope for the best.

Pretty crap preparation for my first marathon. All for a good cause though, so I'll be walking/crawling to the finish if it comes to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »

My plan for this week is busier that I hoped but can't be helped:

Sun - half marathon distance LSR
    Mon - Laze around
    Tue - Run JB Sports 5k race with a friend (probably less than my PMP)
    Wed - 5m recovery
    Thu - Sonia O'Sullivan charity team pre-marathon run (no idea what this will be like)
    Fri - 7m with 2m@MP
    Sat - 5m recovery with strides
    Sun - 4m recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    My plan for this week is busier that I hoped but can't be helped:

Sun - half marathon distance LSR
    Mon - Laze around
    Tue - Run JB Sports 5k race with a friend (probably less than my PMP)
    Wed - 5m recovery
    Thu - Sonia O'Sullivan charity team pre-marathon run (no idea what this will be like)
    Fri - 7m with 2m@MP
    Sat - 5m recovery with strides
    Sun - 4m recovery

By god your keeping busy the week before a marathon, I'm getting tired looking at that itinerary...at least you'll be fully wound up for it:)

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    we do accept payment in the form of pints after the race :pac:

I wouldn't like to be settling that tab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

All are most welcome

Confirmed for Dinner:
    Chinguetti
    Mr Slow
    Digger
    Menoscemo
    Claralara
    Rainbow Kirby
    Racheljev
    Vagga
    TF Bubendorfer
    Shazkea

couldn't let the team down by not showing up for pre-race food!!

Eh so what's the plan for post-race hydration??

4 stars (good)
    Again, take your pick:
    1. 14 degrees, a couple of showers. Winds from the NW at 16 km/h
    2. 17 degrees, More sun than clouds. Mild. wind : 9 mph / WNW
    3. cloudy with possible showers. Temp 9-15 degrees. wind Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northwest

Summary: warm, might be a bit a rain. mild breeze from north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    shazkea wrote: »

couldn't let the team down by not showing up for pre-race food!!

Eh so what's the plan for post-race hydration??

Can't make the meal unfortunately but would certainly be interested in a beverage or two after the race.
    Again, take your pick:
    1. 14 degrees, a couple of showers. Winds from the NW at 16 km/h
    2. 17 degrees, More sun than clouds. Mild. wind : 9 mph / WNW
    3. cloudy with possible showers. Temp 9-15 degrees. wind Gentle breeze, 5 m/s from north-northwest

Summary: warm, might be a bit a rain. mild breeze from north west.

I'm still happy with the Norwegian's predictions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

3 stars (average)
    Weather.ie is saying: Partly Cloudy High: 15° Low: 9°

I'd be happy with that.

Advertisement