Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

Lady Lainy.......thanks for your lovely welcome!!! I already feel part of a cyber team now!!!haha!!! A charity walk is a good idea and at least that d be more easy going than joing a club!!!
    It is very difficult when you dont know anyone!! I have a dog though and go for short walks with her!! I guess its also down to living in a small city then moving to the big smoke....it sure is big and intimidating!!!lol!!! Even my confidence gone down, but hey, hopefully after my wi in the morning, Ill cop on and at least now I know about this forum , I feel as though not doing it on my own between weigh ins. Thanks for the pep tlk!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Question, what are these BNS chips??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I have noticed since staring my grocery shopping online with tesco...my grocery bill has halved! No more impulse buying....i can take my time going thru all the special offers..and point them with the nutritional info....and have a running total of how much i'm spending...so i can really look for value for money...

my average grocery bill now is about 25 quid a week, I do a shop every 2nd week online of about 40 euro....the only thing my mum gets for me is milk and chicken breasts...

The kinda things i'm buying are
    Quorn, porridge, Tesco Chili Rice Cakes, Low fat coconut milk, and some of the ww products like pitta breads, cooking sauces, Pretty much any brand name items

Genaric things like baby potatoes, peas, corn, garlic, ginger, herbs, spices, paasta, tomato concentrate, pasta, rice, eggs, fruit, i get in aldi/lidl!!!!

Eating healthy is way cheaper! I try to make as much as i can my self...my own sauces, potato salad, wedges, cottage pies, that way i can tweak recipes to suit me...based on what i have available.

Spices, herbs, marinates, stock cubes (knorr stock gel pots), seasonings are a must!

Maggi So juicy!!
    Schwatz for Spuds,
    Aldi meal maker mixes, for spag bols and shepards pie,
    Knorr Beef Stock Gel Pots (28g) are AMAZING for cooking quorn mince!
    Blue Dragon Sweet Chili....instant zing to any dish!
    Thai Fish Sauce,
    Worcestershire Sauce
    Dojion Mustard (Lovely on chicken before grilling)
    Apple Sauce (lovely in porridge)

javagal wrote: »

ButterNut Squash Chips, I've never made them, but a few the gals swear by them and i'm sure they'll explain how to make them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

15 people's weights received for the 'league', keep em coming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Mine will be with you tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

Off to bed now WI in the morning hopefully I am down though i went about 10 pp over due to having to eat a small meal at night to take medication......

I have serious pain in my Jaw neck area and neither dentist or doctor can find cause of it going on 17 days now am really p****d off with it as i cant exercise and was just on to 5km in 50min on the crosstrainer five times a week...which is not bad for someone who thought walking to the car was a chore......

i do however have a lovely bag of prescription goodies which must be playing havoc with my system
    2 types of anti biotics...2 different pain killers and a week on valium down in case it was musclar now on some type of depressant in case its nerves a tablet to stop me getting sick from all the meds and my normal anti histimine if i fall over i will rattle

sorry for the rant but need to get it out as it is really annoying me
    :mad:

aspie mum wrote: »
    Off to bed now WI in the morning hopefully I am down though i went about 10 pp over due to having to eat a small meal at night to take medication......

I have serious pain in my Jaw neck area and neither dentist or doctor can find cause of it going on 17 days now am really p****d off with it as i cant exercise and was just on to 5km in 50min on the crosstrainer five times a week...which is not bad for someone who thought walking to the car was a chore......

i do however have a lovely bag of prescription goodies which must be playing havoc with my system
    2 types of anti biotics...2 different pain killers and a week on valium down in case it was musclar now on some type of depressant in case its nerves a tablet to stop me getting sick from all the meds and my normal anti histimine if i fall over i will rattle

sorry for the rant but need to get it out as it is really annoying me
    :mad:

Rattle off to be bed with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

mine will be with you tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 shazza_90

kc83 wrote: »
    Went to my first wi last week and lost 5.5lbs. I was soooo delighted!! I have ALWAYS been 9 stone 6-9lbs!! A year ago I was racing, running evry day...etc!!Its taken me only a yr to jump to 11stone 13lbs, its emotional eating as moved away from home town to a place I dnt know anyone except bf so findin hard to motivate myself......God only in my 2nd wk and Ive been sooooooooooooo bad......on Sun ALONE ate, pouch of Minstrels,popcorn,dairymilk!!I felt SICK!!! I get very bad cravings around TOM!!What I find very difficult is....I have NO MOTIVATION since moving!!! It gets me reallllyyy down some days....even my bf says Im not as outgoing anymore!!! When I was at home I was part of a climbing club, cycling club and Tri club. Easier said than done to join something here as I feel like I should be fitter to join in first place!!! My first step was joining ww but I feel like Ill never see undr 11 stone!!!! I know alot in same boat, I just feel like having a moan!!! I feel like ww is very difficult when doing it on your own between meetings.You have to change your mind to change your ways!!Im just finding it difficult!!Ive 2 pants that fit me!Im going to Africa in Aug and thought that would be my goal but that is creepin up fast (like my weight)
    Just wondering where have you moved to, I'm sure there is someone on this that would meet up with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ShindyB

Weigh in tomorrow and I'm dreading it :( Went a bit mad at the weekend to celebrate exam results and also had a First Holy Communion. I've honestly never seen so many gorgeous deserts in one place and yes, I tried them all! Was doing great since Sunday until I put my back out in the gym today. Physio has told me no more gym for at least a fortnight. Was so annoyed I came home and ate half a tub of ice cream, which of course I'm totally peed off with myself for doing now. Getting really frustrated. Every time things start going to plan something throws me off. Sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Thanks for all that Monife.
    That sounds like a very good idea with the meal planning. I work shift work & find it very hard to make dinners now. I think its also down to being lazy & very unorganised & it has definitely contributed to my weight gain. I think I will definitely benefit from being organised & taking a day to make a few meals & freezing them for the week ahead!

The way you describe yourself before you started exercising sounds just like me! I'm constantly using my car for short journeys & constantly making excuses to avoid exercise! I think if I start off like you said with the walking & build on that then I will more than likely stick with it. I'll definitely check out the couch to 5km!

Thanks for all the tips! :)

Your welcome. I would recommend starting with the walking, if you were anything like me, and once you have built up a comfortable decent distance, then start the couch to 5k. I started it in March, so that was 4 months after I started the walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

javagal wrote: »

BNS Chips are AMAZING!!! A few ppl have different ways of making them but this is how I do it - crank up the oven as far as it will go (250 on mine), half the BNS and put in, skin side up, while the oven is warming up. This will loosen up the skin. Take out, let it cool for a min, then skin it, chop into wedges. Spray a baking tray with a bit of oil, load them on, then spray the top of them with a little oil and bung them in for about 40 mins, turning once. Nom nom, would actually love some now and it's only 7.50am :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: Since I discovered these in Jan, I have not made normal chips at home at all! Haven't wanted them :D

WI tonight :( Fully expect to be up because of the weekend :(:( I know that was an exception but I think I will ask my leader if I can bring my tracker in next week to see if she can give me any pointers. I'm trying to use more points during the day so I don't end up eating crap in the evening but in spite of eating loads yest, I still ended up with 5pp left by 9pm!

Oh and just on the ppl posting up what they have eaten during the day - I don't know that it would be considered a food diary? I have done it before (this week, I think), but I don't do it as a "Look, how good I've been", I do it more as a "this is what I've had, how can I improve it" both from a WW pov and a nutritional pov. That's just my opinion! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Muffin recipe.....this is my own tweaked concoction

125g white self raising flour
    40g Light brown sugar
    30g odlums wheat bran (dunnes stores)
    1 whole egg
    table spoon of low fat natural yoghurt
    100 skimmed milk
    Fruit of your choice (strawberries, blueberries, rasperries, banana all work great)
    15g splenda
    1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Soak the bran wheat in the milk for few mins,

Cream the sugar/splenda/egg together,

Sift the flour/baking powder/bicarbonate at least twice to get it nice a fluffy.

Combine all of the above ingredents. taking care not to work it too much or they will sink and go flat. just at the end fold in the fruit.

(if using bananas have them thouroughly mashed with fork before folding into mixture)

This recipe makes six decent muffins at 4pp each! High fibre, really filling, with slow releasing carb energy. to make them even better again you can also use self raising brown flour (i've only seen that in super valu)

Oven should be pre heated to about 180 - 200 degrees, and they only need about 20 mins....leave them in the oven until cold if you can...if you open the door too quickly they can fall...so you could even get away with turning off the oven at about 16 mintues

(Took me ages to learn all the knacks...trial and error)

Hi Lainy,

I was just reading this recipe this morning and you have mentioned Natural Yogurt in the ingredients but no mention of it in the method. Where does it go in?

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

WI this morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hey folks,

After talking about this with the other Mods we've decided that we're going to keep a WW thread but it's going to start over from scratch: new thread, new start.

This thread will be locked but not deleted, so you can just keep a link to it in case you want to read over some things in it.

There's a few things to bear in mind here:

WW is a business. Boards.ie is not obliged to support and advertise any business for free and it's easily arguable that the thread is breaking a number of rules that the Mdoerators are duty bound to uphold, but by virtue of this being such a hugely popular topic and the volume of posts that it generates it will stay.

The thread is also bound by the forum rules, and this includes maintaining a healthy eating theme. If any posts are deemed to be going against that theme they'll be deleted, simple as.

While it's a fantastic idea to have a group of people all supporting each other in their goals please bear in mind that there is a whole other forum out there to be explored. While there may be people out there who don't agree with WW they are perfectly entitled to that opinion. You may find their disagreements not to your taste (no pun intended :p) but that doesn't mean that what they are saying is invalid. Don't be afraid to think outside the WW box.

Finally, please, please use the report button if you see something that you don't like - that's the surest way to get a Moderator's attention. Don't take things into your own hands because that will more than likely end up in you getting negative attention.

I'll leave this open for a bit and will start a new thread later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Well that's very disappointing I have to say. The traffic in the new thread will probably reduce now,I hope not though. I think people are probably feeling like they can't be themselves, which obviously they can't be. I'm really gutted, so many people have got such support off this,and now they'll get disheartened.

Let's just try and keep it together I guess :(

I really feel I'd love to suggest we move to a certain networking site, where at least we can be ourselves,and not feel like we are being watched and fear we will be quoted on other threads,which is also against the sites rules,but has not been respected. I certainly will be wary of posting on this new thread, in case I get in trouble.

m'lady wrote: »
    I really feel I'd love to suggest we move to a certain networking site, where at least we can be ourselves,and not feel like we are being watched and fear we will be quoted on other threads,which is also against the sites rules,but has not been respected. I certainly will be wary of posting on this new thread, in case I get go trouble.

m'lady I'm a little at a loss to see where you're being told you can't "be yourself"? :confused:

I've already said a number of times that quoting from one thread to another is not allowed, this has been apologised for, and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm asking people to report to bring to Mods' attention.

g'em wrote: »
    m'lady I'm a little at a loss to see where you're being told you can't "be yourself"? :confused:

I've already said a number of times that quoting from one thread to another is not allowed, this has been apologised for, and that's exactly the kind of thing I'm asking people to report to bring to Mods' attention.
    Well I guess I'm thinking in this new thread that we won't be able to say we had a bad day etc, or we ate a load of chocolate and feel annoyed with ourselves, in fear that we are breaking guidelines. Maybe I've taken you up wrong,and if I have I apologise. I'm sure you can see since all this trouble started people have been afraid to say what they would have said before?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I have to say I agree to some extent with m'lady - I will be very unsure of where the line is drawn between "healthy eating" and "ww promotion" and will be nervous of making any comment, whereas up to now I haven't felt the need to be nervous. I will feel that if I comment on anything other than lettuce leaves and water I will be told I'm promoting unhealthy habits. I have always felt I could comment freely here without feeling that a moderator was looking over my shoulder, ready to tell me off - even though I understand why that can be necessary.
    G'em - I understand the concept of the new thread but I think in reality it will be difficult to make it work but I hope it does. :)

• Advertisement

Well I guess I'm thinking in this new thread that we won't be able to say we had a bad day etc, or we ate a load of chocolate and feel annoyed with ourselves, in fear that we are breaking guidelines. Maybe I've taken you up wrong,and if I have I apologise. I'm sure you can see since all this trouble started people have been afraid to say what they would have said before?

I had a really bad day on Monday and spent the evening with a friend who fed me tea and a Whispa bar. It was absolutely bloody delicious :D On both a personal and a Moderating level I don't feel that's unhealthy as an isolated incident. So no, if you've had a bad day and you want to rant or vent about it then that's cool.

But the problem is when people start to use food as a crutch, and that's where the Mods will start to get a little edgy. We can't in good faith allow a thread that supports that kind of behaviour. So can you see why it's difficult for us to have the thread at all? We have to put faith in the thread users to not support that, and I will, in all honesty, be keeping an eye on that. It's part of the reasons why the Food Diaries were closed down.

Similarly anything like "I'm going to a party tonight so I'm only eating a bowl of zero-point soup all day to save my points" or "I want a take-away today so I'm starving msyelf from 6am onwards" - that's just not healthy, it's sacrificng good eating for the sake of points.

Does that make more sense?

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I have to say I agree to some extent with m'lady - I will be very unsure of where the line is drawn between "healthy eating" and "ww promotion" and will be nervous of making any comment, whereas up to now I haven't felt the need to be nervous. I will feel that if I comment on anything other than lettuce leaves and water I will be told I'm promoting unhealthy habits. I have always felt I could comment freely here without feeling that a moderator was looking over my shoulder, ready to tell me off - even though I understand why that can be necessary.
    G'em - I understand the concept of the new thread but I think in reality it will be difficult to make it work but I hope it does. :)

You put it better than I did,thanks! I'm doing this off my phone and racing for work,so can't think straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

G'em thanks for taking the time to post and let us know where things stand. I honestly don't mind a new thread this one is too big & makes searching cumbersome at least the new thread will just be pp oriented & not 700 pages of old points too.

M'lady we can still make a new thread work don't lose hope! We're still here to support each other. If the anti WW want to read the new thread they will but they've been reprimanded & apologised their attack took a very personal turn & there was no call for it & for the record I'm not an emotional tubby saying that! :P

G'em not to put words in mladys mouth, it's not you who has made us feel unwelcome more so the comments in the other thread where a couple of posters actually said the WW thread had no place here, it's put posters off & some feel they were unfairly judged by the anti WW crowd.

Are we still okay to post recipes pro point values of items etc? Lastly I was having a discussion with Lady Lainy yesterday if someone posts up what they ate in a particular day & the pp value is that considered a food diary? I don't do it but some posters do & my fear was that would be perceived as a food diary & would get the thread into hot water so could you maybe but the dos & donts in the first post of the new thread so there is no ambiguity going forward? Thanks :)

I had a really bad day on Monday and spent the evening with a friend who fed me tea and a Whispa bar. It was absolutely bloody delicious :D On both a personal and a Moderating level I don't feel that's unhealthy as an isolated incident. So no, if you've had a bad day and you want to rant or vent about it then that's cool.

But the problem is when people start to use food as a crutch, and that's where the Mods will start to get a little edgy. We can't in good faith allow a thread that supports that kind of behaviour. So can you see why it's difficult for us to have the thread at all? We have to put faith in the thread users to not support that, and I will, in all honesty, be keeping an eye on that. It's part of the reasons why the Food Diaries were closed down.

Similarly anything like "I'm going to a party tonight so I'm only eating a bowl of zero-point soup all day to save my points" or "I want a take-away today so I'm starving msyelf from 6am onwards" - that's just not healthy, it's sacrificng good eating for the sake of points.

Does that make more sense?

Yes it makes more sense, but there is such a fine line there, that comments will be taken wrong etc,I'm just afraid people will be too afraid to just chat, and that will ruin the supportive atmosphere that we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Sorry for all the hassel my little mars bar cake caused:(:o...

Kay_80 wrote: »
    Are we still okay to post recipes pro point values of items etc? Lastly I was having a discussion with Lady Lainy yesterday if someone posts up what they ate in a particular day & the pp value is that considered a food diary? I don't do it but some posters do & my fear was that would be perceived as a food diary & would get the thread into hot water so could you maybe but the dos & donts in the first post of the new thread so there is no ambiguity going forward? Thanks :)
    recipes and pro-points are fine, but daily postings of point intakes is a little too diary-ish unfortuantely. I'll make a note of that in the OP of the new thread, great idea :)
    Yes it makes more sense, but there is such a fine line there, that comments will be taken wrong etc,I'm just afraid people will be too afraid to just chat, and that will ruin the supportive atmosphere that we have had.
    It's a very fine line alright, and we'll just have to play it by ear for a while. I guess my biggest concern is that support is great, but support of unhealthy behaviours is where we get into trouble - and in all honesty it does the dieter no good either in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 velleity

g'em, thanks for taking so much time to answer questions and clarify. It's much appreciated. Am I right in thinking that it's not so much unhealthy foods but unhealthy ways of eating that you are more concerned about?

Like, Kay_80,I think a new thread, new start might be good. This thread is crazy long as it is, and a lot of it is to do with the old system which makes it difficult for newer people like me to catch up.

And I think a do's and don't's might be useful at first just while we all get used to things.

velleity wrote: »
    g'em, thanks for taking so much time to answer questions and clarify. It's much appreciated. Am I right in thinking that it's not so much unhealthy foods but unhealthy ways of eating that you are more concerned about?

exactly :) I was only thinking that I may not have made that very clear first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I think a new thread could be good, while I love the one we are in and it is a HUGE support network for me and many others, I understand where G'em is coming from.

I definitely think there should be a list of do's and don'ts in the first post of the new thread, which will help any newbies or people who have only joined us recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

izzy24 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the hassel my little mars bar cake caused:(:o...

Izzy - don't be silly. This had to come about at some stage. There was bad feeling between the two groups long before your mars bar cake was mentioned. At least now we all know where we stand and we can start afresh in a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement