Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imma gonna be an Emo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Don't be silly, you'd win now. You're just greedy and want to win by a greater margin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Friday 1st April

Bench
    2x3@50kg
    2x3@55kg
    2x3@60kg

Clean+Squat(s)+Jerk
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Sled Pulls
    25kg x 2
    35kg x 2
    45kg x 2

Bench mystery solved although I had an idea that's what it was. They are kept light so chest/shoulders don't get tight which would affect the oly lifts.

Clean+Squat(s)+Jerk: What ya do here on say a triple is clean it, then squat it twice, then jerk. On a double clean it, squat it, jerk it. The idea I think is to be able to jerk when legs are taxed.

Sled Pulls to give a break from squatting plus they are fun. I was a bit nippier on them than the last time I did them.

Saturday 2nd April

Chins
    3x10

Rest period was clean garage for newly acquired oly bar & bumpers. It was a nice day so I decided to christen the weights with some power clean & power jerks outside on the patio. Which was a mistake I put a crack in the patio after dumping 80kg. Oops. It's a bit rough dropping it in the garage too as everything shakes like mad. A platform would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

token wrote: »
    Saturday 2nd April

Chins
    3x10

Rest period was clean garage for newly acquired oly bar & bumpers. It was a nice day so I decided to christen the weights with some power clean & power jerks outside on the patio. Which was a mistake I put a crack in the patio after dumping 80kg. Oops. It's a bit rough dropping it in the garage too as everything shakes like mad. A platform would be nice!

Thats pretty awesome!I'd say the bar and bumper plates were pricey enough?

Remmy wrote: »
    Thats pretty awesome!I'd say the bar and bumper plates were pricey enough?

Tom Gannon from CFI put in a order for a few us getting equipment. He managed to get us the VAT off and free delivery so it wasn't too bad but still it's still a big dent of change. Here's the bar I got http://www.jordanfreeweights.com/store/item/38ecx/Steel_Series/7ft_Elite_Steel_Series_High_Performance_Bar.html. Very decent for a home setup. I got 2x20,2x10,2x5kg bumpers also. Jordan don't have the best bumpers but for the vat/delivery off I'll take it. Plus I'm only going to be using this stuff occasionally anyway.

I've put in a order of some metal plates with Mick from Irish Lifting to round it out if I ever decide to do Low Bar Squats or Deadlifts again :pac: A friend is also building me a squat rack which I should have in 1-2 weeks as well.

• Advertisement

Monday 4th April

Snatch
    2x3@46kg
    2x3@50kg
    3x3@54kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@47kg
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Front Squat
    3x2@60kg
    3x2@70kg
    3x2@80kg (belt from here)

Core
    3-way Plank: 30s each side
    Oblique Crunches: 2x20 each side
    Swiss Ball Pray: 3x15

Snatches were really good tonight with lots of speed. Clean&Jerks were pretty good too apart from one or two. Front squats fine, still relying on the belt for the heavier ones but core strength gains are narrowing the gap between wearing it and not wearing it.

Wednesday 6th April

Snatch
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg
    1x3@52kg
    1x2@58kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Back Squat
    1x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    2x5@80kg
    2x5@90kg (belt)

Core

Legs felt fairly dead after Monday but everything went fine. Back squats were actually far better than last week. First of all I stopped being a wuss and left the belt off for 80kg sets. The 90kg sets then were pretty solid especially the first set. I was coming up with alot of speed and very little slow down. Squats are on the rise (from mediocrity).

Core work also is easy now where it was killing me when I first started it. Abz of steel.

Friday 8th April

Trained at home as heading off for the weekend and would miss usual ECB time.

Clean+Squat(s)+Jerk
    3x3@40kg
    3x3@50kg
    3x3@60kg
    3x2@70kg

Push Presses
    3x5@70kg

Chins
    3x10

Sprints
    6x60m @ 90s rest

I don't have smaller plates at home yet so roughly trying to hit what was on my program for the clean+squat+jerks.

I supersetted Push Presses and Chins. I've never done Push Presses much outside of metcons so interesting trying them out for strength. They got better as the sets went along I was using a bit too much legs on the first two sets and some of the reps were turning into semi push jerks. By that I mean my feet were leaving the ground. Push Presses should be smooth and legs are just used to get momentum going not do all the work. I'll redo 70kg next time. Last set was good.

The first 60m I'm pretty sure is the fastest I've ever sprinted. Never had acceleration like that before. Who knew weightlifting would make you faster :rolleyes: Sled pulls no doubt helping too.

Monday 11th April

Snatch
    2x3@46kg
    2x3@50kg
    3x3@54kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@47kg
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2@67kg
    2@70kg
    1@75kg
    1@80kg

Front Squat
    2x2@60kg
    2x2@70kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x1@87kg

Core
    Oblique Crunches: 2x20

Felt like ass after the weekend once lifting heavy things begun. I'm off the hooch between now and Nationals or down to only a few social ones anyway. Everything felt slow and heavy and the session was a grind. In kinda good news I can still hit everything when feeling ****. I also left the belt off for front squats. Core still a little soft and elbows dropping a tad but I'm improving.

Proper sleep, food and plenty of stretching between now the oly meet at CFI on Saturday. Currently planning to open at 70kg snatch and 90kg clean & jerk.

Wednesday 13th April

Snatch
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg
    1x3@52kg
    1x2@58kg
    1x2@65kg

Clean&Jerk
    2x2@60kg
    1x1@65kg
    1x1@70kg
    1x1@75kg
    1x1@80kg
    1x1@85kg

Back Squat
    1x2@60kg
    1x2@70kg
    1x2@80kg
    1x2@90kg
    2x2@100kg (belt)

Snatches not brilliant legs a bit dead but never any doubt on not making them. Got the double @ 65kg on video below. I've gotten into the habit of rolling the bar on heavier attempts kinda of a nervous thing which I'll have to stop doing.

Did less volume on cleans & squats so I've a bit more energy for CFI comp on Saturday, saving proper taper for nationals. 85kg is actually a full clean & jerk PR. Powercleans still significantly ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Good job on the Snatches, What are your attempts for the CFI total going to be? Why is your Power Clean higher than your normal clean.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Snatches looked great dude. Really fast under the bar.

Molly wrote: »
    Good job on the Snatches, What are your attempts for the CFI total going to be? Why is your Power Clean higher than your normal clean.?

I'm gonna open at 70kg snatch and 90kg C&J. My goals are to hit 75+ Snatch and 100kg C&J. My clean is lower because I've very weak legs but I am relatively explosive. I was powersnatching more than I was full snatching until I switched to weightlifting. It'll take another few months for my clean to eventually pass it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Based on the double at 65 your snatch opener should be easy. Best of luck in the comp!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Where'd you get that speed from? Can I have some?

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Where'd you get that speed from? Can I have some?

I needed to develop it as a measure against lack of quads. Lose quads get fast!

Saturday 16th April

CFI Oly Total

Snatch
    70x,70x,70x :(

Clean & Jerk
    90,95,100x

Bad day at the office. Gimped up the snatches. I should have got the first one I had it held at the bottom of the snatch but my right foot started buckling in and I couldn't recover. Gimped the last two missing forward. It's a weight that should be 90% grgr but just wasn't feeling it today ah well better now than at Nationals. I'm still confident about hitting decent numbers there.

Clean & Jerks went better. I got 100kg powerclean at the last attempt but the jerk was a no go. At least I got a 5kg Powerclean PR out of the day. Something is better than nothing.

For nationals I'll stick with 90,95,100 attempts for clean and jerk. Very confident Ill get the jerk in 3 weeks. For snatches I think I need a bit more exposure to heavy singles. I think I'll be working up to openers the Monday before Nationals. I'll see how 70kg goes again then. I can probably feckin' powersnatch 70kg grgrgrgrgrgr :mad:

On reflection I'm pretty ****ing happy about powercleaning 100kg tbh. It's a goal I had for 2010. Better late than never :cool:

Saturday 18th April

Snatch
    2x3@46kg
    2x3@50kg
    3x3@54kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@47kg
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Front Squat
    3x2@60kg
    3x2@70kg
    3x2@80kg

Core

Laboured session. Factors relating to recovery were poor past few days. At least I didn't fail any ****ing snatches though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

On reflection I'm pretty ****ing happy about powercleaning 100kg tbh. It's a goal I had for 2010. Better late than never :cool:
    Powercleaning 100kg is the manliest thing you've done in your short life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Saturday 18th April

Laboured session. Spent the weekend passed out in a bin. At least I didn't fail any ****ing snatches though!

fyp hoss

Wednesday 20th April

Snatch
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg
    1x3@52kg
    1x2@58kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Back Squat
    1x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    2x5@80kg
    2x5@90kg (belt)

Core

Went alright but squats felt heavier than they did two weeks ago. This shall not stand!

Friday 22th April

Trained with Colm O'Reilly today so went a bit off my program by adding in snatching.

Snatch
    2x3@40kg
    3@50kg
    2@55kg
    1@60kg
    1@65kg
    1@67kg
    1@70kg fail
    1@70kg

Clean+Squat(s)+Jerk
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    3x2@65kg
    3x2@70kg

Sled Pulls
    2x25kg
    2x40kg
    2x55kg

Felt pretty good today good speed. Decided to work up to the 70kg I missed last Saturday. Landed the first one but was slighty out of position and after 3 seconds of trying to correct it I lost it behind me. Since I got up and under the first 70kg no problem with a nervy semi-half assed effort I fearlessly launched the hips into the 2nd attempt. I was under it like a f'ing bullet then the heavy squat up to equal PR*. Left it there saving PR's for belfast :D

*Need to grow some mutha****in' quads. Pull is so easy and squat is so hard.

Saturday 23rd April

Was out in Ironside today to have a gawk. Trained with boards celebrities columok, Dead Ed, supposedly and non boards celebrity the garvanator. They have a great setup there, the indoor sprint track is particulary cool.

I was massively hungover but playing with new stuff distracted me. We did light strongman'esque circuit involving yoke walks, farmer walks, keg loading, tyre jumps, sledge swings to tire, log clean and press, car deadlifts.

Outside of circuit we also did powerstairs, two man tire flips, overhead yolk walks, stone loading. I wasn't very good at the stone loading but managed the 60kg one. If I'm out there again I'll try man up and get the 80kg stone.

Monday 25th April

Snatch
    2x3@46kg
    2x3@50kg missed one of these
    3x3@54kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@47kg
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2@67kg
    2@70kg
    1@75kg
    1@80kg

Front Squat
    2x2@60kg
    2x2@70kg
    2x2@80kg
    2x1@87kg

Worst session eva! well since being in ECB. Today I learned that doing 2 hour strongman circuits is not a suitable recovery method following a heavy nights drinking. The fact I havent done any conditioning in the last two months probably contributed.

Snatches all felt icky partly to do with being too lazy to stretch after Saturday and arriving too late to have time to do any today either. Missed a rep at 50kg and al most had a miss or two on 54kg also. Clean&Jerks were a complete grind. Front Squats werent too bad though suprisingly.

No more shenanigans between now and Belfast.

Wednesday 27th April

Snatch
    2x3@45kg
    2x3@50kg
    1x3@52kg
    1x2@58kg
    1x2@65kg

Clean&Jerk
    3@52kg
    3@57kg
    2@62kg
    2x2@67kg
    2x2@70kg

Back Squat
    1x6@60kg
    1x6@70kg
    1x3@80kg
    1x3@90kg
    2x2@100kg (belt)

Core

Was bollixed again during this session. Started a new job in City Centre while living in Kildare and training in Bray so it's a bit ****! Looking for a place on daft atm. I got all my lifts though. The 2nd snatch felt exceptionally heavy, heavier than all the 70kg lifts I've done by a good margin. I didn't pull it very high but I got under it quick and made it after a really hard squat up. Squats were good though, strange!

I went to train at home this Saturday morning but threw the towel in after warmup still wrecked but should be fully recovered and ready to hit it Monday. I got an hour of rolling and stretching in instead so feeling limber at least!

Monday 2nd May

Snatch
    2x3@46kg
    2x3@50kg
    3x3@54kg

Powerclean&Jerk
    3@60kg
    3@65kg
    3@70kg
    2@75kg
    2x2@80kg pressed out one of these
    2x2@83kg pressed out one of these

Front Squat
    3x2@60kg
    3x2@70kg
    3x2@80kg

Core
    Some medicine ball thing that I don't know the name of

A better session than ones recent. Snatches pretty solid and snappy. Pressed out two jerks though but I know what I did wrong* and fixed it on last set. Squats felt heavy though, due to being a bit lazy on food over weekend I reckon.

*being a wussbag

Wednesday 4th May

Snatch
    2x3@40
    2@50
    1@55
    1@60

Powerclean & Jerk
    2@60
    2@70
    1@80

Back Squat
    3@60
    1@80
    1@90
    1@100

Taperin' like a mofo

Currently planning on opening at 68kg on Snatch and 92kg on C&J but may change on the day.

EDIT: at Nationals in Belfast this Saturday.

Saturday 7th May

Irish Senior Weightlifting Championships

Weighin: 75.0kg (need to get swoler)

Snatch
    68,71(pr +1kg), 74x

Clean & Jerk
    92,96(pr +1kg), 100x

No fireworks but a reasonbly successful competition and a good base to build on with sneaky 1kg pr's on my 2nd attempts.

I felt really strong on the snatches and was unlucky not to hit 74kg I lost it behind me. I was feeling really good on the C&J warmup too, pity I started it about 20 minutes too soon and had to stop. When I came back to warmup again I seemed to have lost momentum and didn't have much punch when I finally got on to the platform and I failed the 100kg powerclean which I made fairly decently three weeks ago.

Pretty happy overall though. I'm looking forward to Leinsters now in two months time and adding a significant amount to my total.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th May

Since the CFI Invitational is only 1 week after nationals I figure I'm only losing a week of training by doing it.

Cram Fitness Day 1

Run 400m to start
    5 rounds of:
    5 Squat Clean Thrusters @50kg
    7 Burpees
    Run 400m to finish

13:19

Taken from CFI site today. I did this in 11:42 as my last metcon about 10 weeks ago but I was sandbagging like crazy that day. Slow as hell today but all things considered i.e. not doing a metcon in 10 weeks it's not that bad really. I'm mostly just trying to get the shock to the system over with early this week so I don't completely die on Saturday.

Advertisement