Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I don`t know what your idea of good battery life is, but you obviously have`nt done your research on ROM`s and such and the ways to get the best battery life possible.

Battery life depends on a lot of factors, BUT, the average "good" battery life, with medium/heavy use would be 1.5 - 2.5 days on most ROM`s.

You can trim this down if you turn off the usual ****, but most people seem to think that`s to much to do and expect god like battery life out of it and start to complain.

You might not realise (yet) but anyone who thinks they need a second battery, expects way to much from something that is already optimized for great battery life...you just have to find that something!

Thanks for the thoughts lewis

Thanks for the replies DrZeuss, god's toy and squeeonline, I'll look into them

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ckl1

Right,

Seeing as it looks like the flash back to stock didn't work out properly, I have flashed again to Darkys 9.2 with the intention of flashing back to stock (Hopefully correctly this time)

I have the JPY file. Is this the best firmware for me?

The JPY is a single .tar file. Am I right in saying that when flashing, I select this JYP tar file in the PSA, select repartition and that's it?

Do I need to disable Voodoo first?

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

On the topic of battery life, I can get 2 days out of my SGS darkys 9.5, and with minimal usage I could probably get 3. but unless I go to bed with >60% battery, I'll charge it over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭G1032

ckl1 wrote: »
    I have the JPY file. Is this the best firmware for me?

You'll have to find out what the stockfirmware version was.
    ckl1 wrote: »
    Do I need to disable Voodoo first?

Yes. Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Raoul

I heard murmurs that new firmware leaked for the sgs and it will be rolled out on kies in the next few days. Anyone else hear this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yeah, it leaked out over the weekend alright, its meant to be coming "before the end of March" so gives them... about 12 hours really! :)

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Yeah, it leaked out over the weekend alright, its meant to be coming "before the end of March" so gives them... about 12 hours really! :)

Will this be gingerbread. Also, as I have an unlocked phone, not rooted or anything, does this mean I can get it as soon as its out?

Raoul wrote: »
    Will this be gingerbread. Also, as I have an unlocked phone, not rooted or anything, does this mean I can get it as soon as its out?

What else could it be? 2.2.1 is out, Honeycomb is for tablets.

Why it take samsung so frickin' long to release updates is beyond me. Google released gingerbread back in October if memory serves. Should not take til April to release.

Yep! I'm in the same boat myself. Theres been a new version of Kiews available for a couple of days now so make sure you have that. I've been plugging my SGS into Kies the last couple of days but no sign yet, next 48 hours surely though! And yes, it'll be 2.3.3

In other news: http://www.gsmarena.com/14_ghz_samsung_i9001_galaxy_s_plus_with_gingerbread_surfaces-news-2467.php

Like the sound of that, slightly cheaper alternative to the SGS II, and a new metal back case. I kinda figured that they'd do this and take out the Amoled screen but they havent. The shortage of amoled screens must finally be abating.

Yep! I'm in the same boat myself. Theres been a new version of Kiews available for a couple of days now so make sure you have that. I've been plugging my SGS into Kies the last couple of days but no sign yet, next 48 hours surely though!

Good stuff, I'm a bit disappointed with myself at how eager and excited I am about getting gingerbread.:( ha

• Advertisement

It doesnt look to be as big a change as from 2.1 to 2.2 tbh, i came across a video of one with the new firmware yesterday(cant find it now for the life of me) and its nothing too major, bit of eye candy as far as i could see. This will probably be the last update for the SGS though, i cant see them releasing more when the SGS II has been released

It doesnt look to be as big a change as from 2.1 to 2.2 tbh, i came across a video of one with the new firmware yesterday(cant find it now for the life of me) and its nothing too major, bit of eye candy as far as i could see. This will probably be the last update for the SGS though, i cant see them releasing more when the SGS II has been released

There arent very many new features (hardware is the same so what do you expect). There is support for NFC but SGS doesnt have the chip.

A lot of the changes are in the back end where performance is greatly increased, as well as a reduced battery life. Cant wait for a final version to come out and for Darky to get his hands on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I have a problem with my SGS which is annoying me...

Every time I plug in or remove a usb adaptor the phone gives a 'buzz(pause), buzz-buzz-buzz' vibration. It is like some application is crashing but no indication on the screen.

Has anybody any ideas? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ckl1

I have JS3 ready to go which I understand is my stock.

That contains 3 files: a CSC file, a MODEM file and another which is REV03 -All-low-CL830616.tar.md5 which I presume if the PDA file yes?

So I select all of those 3, leave re-partition unclicked and that should see me right??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

degsie wrote: »
    I have a problem with my SGS which is annoying me...

Every time I plug in or remove a usb adaptor the phone gives a 'buzz(pause), buzz-buzz-buzz' vibration. It is like some application is crashing but no indication on the screen.

Has anybody any ideas? Ta.

mine buzzes when you plug in charger or usb and when you turn on or off.it just does it once though.its part of what it does though right?in other words it comes with the phone lol

Is gingerbread out on kies today? Im at work and forgot my cable but my kies did update today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Well I flashed Insanity 7.0 last night and its very good, fast smooth and solid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

right my ears perked up a bit there Lewis...

whats that ya flashed on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

moggser wrote: »
    right my ears perked up a bit there Lewis...

whats that ya flashed on there

This baby, no hassles, no bugs, no problems, done in about 20 minutes, including apps restored...**** I forgot to put the link in lol

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019&highlight=auto+rotation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

ah looks good but it seems that it took away me fav feature.... the scroll up in the app page like the nexus s... and that one looks like a side scroller

• Advertisement

lewis wrote: »
    This baby, no hassles, no bugs, no problems, done in about 20 minutes, including apps restored...**** I forgot to put the link in lol

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019&highlight=auto+rotation

Wait so this means that I won't have to root and lose the warranty?:eek:

Wait so this means that I won't have to root and lose the warranty?:eek:

Flashing this will void the warranty.
    But to unvoid the warranty again just flash back to stock (if it needs to go back for repair)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

lewis wrote: »
    Well I flashed Insanity 7.0 last night and its very good, fast smooth and solid

Lewis,

I was reading that loads of apps are missing from Insanity. Stuff like Email, Maps, Youtube, Talk

Now I know most of them can be gotten from the Market but not so sure about the stock Email app. I use that for my work account. What would I be able to do for this?

I also kind of like a couple of the apps in Samsung Apps. Very few of them really so I could live without them but is it possible to have them if I flash to Insanity?

budgemook wrote: »
    Lewis,

I was reading that loads of apps are missing from Insanity. Stuff like Email, Maps, Youtube, Talk

Now I know most of them can be gotten from the Market but not so sure about the stock Email app. I use that for my work account. What would I be able to do for this?

I also kind of like a couple of the apps in Samsung Apps. Very few of them really so I could live without them but is it possible to have them if I flash to Insanity?

Insanity has an app called Nitrality. From within nitrality you can install any of the stock apps you wish. Your email app is there. You can also install Samsung Apps from nitrality..........
    He strips everything down but you can get everything back if you want.

G1032 wrote: »
    Insanity has an app called Nitrality. From within nitrality you can install any of the stock apps you wish. Your email app is there. You can also install Samsung Apps from nitrality..........
    He strips everything down but you can get everything back if you want.

Cool,

I might give it a try. I'm very happy with Darkys 9.5 but I just like to tinker (like yourself I believe).

How's your battery life? I'm getting 2 days on Darkys. Was 1 day on stock / older Darkys.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

im on 9.5 at the mo but was looking round and this one seems quite good its called cyanogenmod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znvvhC6C7c has anyone tried it ?

Cool,

I might give it a try. I'm very happy with Darkys 9.5 but I just like to tinker (like yourself I believe).

How's your battery life? I'm getting 2 days on Darkys. Was 1 day on stock / older Darkys.

Battery life is great. I think it's better than with Darky's.
    I don't think I'll be going back to Darky's.
    I'm on Insanity 0.6.9. Not going to bother upgrading to 7.0. 0.6.9 is absolutely perfect.

G1032 wrote: »
    Battery life is great. I think it's better than with Darky's.
    I don't think I'll be going back to Darky's.
    I'm on Insanity 0.6.9. Not going to bother upgrading to 7.0. 0.6.9 is absolutely perfect.

what do you mean great?

what do you mean great?

I'd use it heavily. Wifi on from 4 in evening till 10 at night or so. 3G on for an hour or two during the day. Calls, mesaages, etc. Usual stuff.
    It'd be at about 55 - 60% by days end.
    I charge it every night though and sometimes when I'm at home and not using it I might connect it to charger.
    As long as I can get a full day I suppose it doesn't matter.
    At current usage I'd get 2 days out of it.
    But the experts reckon its best not to let it run low too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

ive been getting around 40 hours heavy usage with darky 9.5 but ive just installed ultimate juice and set cpu so il see if there is any improvement

Advertisement