Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

lewis wrote: »
    No no, you don`t need to go near that muck, bloat ware is all that is, its ok, but gets boring after a while.
    Do you know what modem you have on your phone?

now I have the darky 9.5 default js8 or whatever it is. I had the problem long ago, possibly even before i found darky.

Allshare isnt entirely muck, because I found that it was able to connect to wifi networks when the phone was not able to normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Re; Alarm Clock ....i've set mine twice recently, and it failed to GO OFF?

Don't think I'm doing anything wrong? The little alarm clock symbol was on the home screen when I turned the phone off?

Any tips?

The alarm won't go off if the phone is off. It has to be left on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Re; Alarm Clock ....i've set mine twice recently, and it failed to GO OFF?

Don't think I'm doing anything wrong? The little alarm clock symbol was on the home screen when I turned the phone off?

Any tips?

Have you tried just to set it off while your looking a it, what happens?
    Craigels wrote: »
    ok my internet went today just wouldnt connect and now it grand all of a sudden still having the mms problem this is very annoying went into meteor and they tried and failed to fix it they even done a sim change and no luck

I think it will never be sorted, I had posted the problem up in XDA and people were like, nobody uses MMS any more, duh you can use you e-mail, so I left it.
    It kind puts a ? on the smart phone name, lol.
    now I have the darky 9.5 default js8 or whatever it is. I had the problem long ago, possibly even before i found darky.

Allshare isnt entirely muck, because I found that it was able to connect to wifi networks when the phone was not able to normally.

I used Allshare when I first got the phone it is good, I just got feed up with it when I could`nt view all my files and see thumbnails, no biggy.
    When I changed my modem it did help with internet and phone signal, Darky himself said that BUJP5 is the modem for Europe, I`ve been using that ever since, give it a go and see if it helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Have my Samsung Galaxy S for a few months now, had no problems since i got it but it wont connect to UPC WiFi at home. Nothing wrong with UPC cus PC and laptop connect fine... Did anyone else have this problem?

what about trying a different channel on your router?im no expert but thats what i did when i had the same problem.someone in here told me to try it.

Well at least with my router I have MAC filtering so I had to find out the MAC address of my phone, put it in the MAC list, enable/apply and it sorted it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

@dimple_smile

Get wifi analyser, login to the router with your pc and change your router to a channel with no other device overlapping it (only use channels 1-11). The ip of the router will be listed as the gateway when you "ipconfig /all" in command prompt on Windows

wifi_analyzer.jpg

On your phone, Open settings-->wireless and network-->wifi settings and under wifi networks long press and delete (forget) the settings for the network, then try to connect again, it'll ask for the key

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Sorry...:o
    Yes the phone can see my router... just downloaded WiFinder and it does the same thing "Obtaining IP address..." but i was able to drill into that and it says IP Address Error.
    What is MAC filtering? :confused::)

MAC Address filtering is an extra precaution whereby only devices with a specific list of MAC addresses will be allowed to connect to a router. This is configured in the router administration console.

The MAC address of your handset can be accessed as follows -

Settings -> Wireless and Network -> Wi-fi settings

Press menu button (left to home key) and go into advanced which should give you your MAC address for the handset. If MAC filtering is configured in the router, this MAC address has to be added to the include list in the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Originally Posted by vicwatson viewpost.gif
    Hi all,

This is a great thread and thanks to all thus far -

I'm a newbie to smartphones and Samsung Galaxy S so will be annoying you all over the coming weeks with questions !!smile.gif I'm going from a Nokia 6230 so......

2 to start -

1. How do I get my contacts over from my old Nokia phone, I've tried taking the sim card out and putting into the Galaxy S but it fails to entertain it ! Doesn't know it's there !

2. Can I set reminders like I could with my Nokia 6230? I used this a lot so could really do witha facility similar to it.

TIA y'all

You could try syncing them with gmail on your ahem Nokia, smile.gif then you`ll be able to get on your SGS.

You can detonate a nuclear warhead with this phone, of course you can set reminders, look for Remind me in the market, its nice and small and simple

You can detonate a nuclear warhead with this phone, of course you can set reminders, look for Remind me in the market, its nice and small and simple

I told you 4,000,000,000,000,000 times NOT to exaggerate :D!

Well I grabbed remind me and yes it will let me set a reminder but as a once off there is no "repeat" facility on it, any other apps you can think of that can allow me set a reminder for say, once a day, or weekly or indeed monthly on repeat, without me having to type a reminder in each and every day ??

TIA !

vicwatson wrote: »
    I told you 4,000,000,000,000,000 times NOT to exxagerate :D!

Well I grabbed remind me and yes it will let me set a reminder but as a once off there is no "repeat" facility on it, any other apps you can think of that can allow me set a reminder for say, once a day, or weekly or indeed monthly on repeat, without me having to type a reminder in each and every day ??

TIA !

I use Cal widget, its repetitions are, one time event,daily,every weekday,weekly,monthly,yearly and its very customisable :)

I use Cal widget, its repetitions are, one time event,daily,every weekday,weekly,monthly,yearly and its very customisable smile.gif

Cheers and is that off the market aswell or where would I find that? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ckl1

Taken from the "Samsung Galaxy S Force Closes/Freezes" Thread:

I had/have force close problems with the phone app as well as a significant lag problem.

To cut a long story shot, I flashed to Darkys v9.2 which made no difference so have now flashed back to stock. However, my kernel is still rooted (2.36.32.9 root@DELL105#1)

I want to bring the phone repair as my problems seem to be hardware issues, but can not do so whilst the kernel is evidence of having rooted the phone.

Can anyone advise as to how to sort this problem and remove this trace of rooting the kernel?

Cheers in advance

Cheers and is that off the market aswell or where would I find that? TIA

Sure is.
    ckl1 wrote: »

I had/have force close problems with the phone app as well as a significant lag problem.

To cut a long story shot, I flashed to Darkys v9.2 which made no difference so have now flashed back to stock. However, my kernel is still rooted (2.36.32.9 root@DELL105#1)

I want to bring the phone repair as my problems seem to be hardware issues, but can not do so whilst the kernel is evidence of having rooted the phone.

Can anyone advise as to how to sort this problem and remove this trace of rooting the kernel?

Cheers in advance

How did you go about flashing 9.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭G1032

Cheers in advance

Flash back to stock firmware. You'll find that at samfirmware.com

lewis wrote: »
    Sure is.

How did you go about flashing 9.2?

This is a really good tutorial of the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GreD6L4n64Q&feature=player_embedded

Thanks for your replies.

I followed Darkys instructions on flashing to 9.2 as per this link: http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-rom-darkys-resurrection-edition-9-2.895/

I have already flashed back to stock using the samfirmware firmware. I should say at this point that I had some difficulty doing so but eventually succeeded. The kernel is still rooted however. Does this mean I haven't flashed back correctly?

I have watched The Noobs Guide on Youtube. I'm probably missing something but I don't quite see how it helps me solve the kernel issue, but if I'm wrong, please forgive my ignorance - I'm not a techie- more a tinkerer!!!

I should also point out that since I flashed back to stock, I've had no data connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I should also point out that since I flashed back to stock, I've had no data connection.

You just need the O2.ie apn settings.

Can someone on stock please let ckl1 know what version the latest official from O2 in Ireland is so he can flash to an earlier one and then update through Kies. I've been following his other thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056218260

Fair play PMT. Just one thing - I'm on 02

Thanks again

EDIT
    Right, the data issue is sorted using this link which is buried on page 99 of this thread
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/detail/configurePhonePopup.do

Just the kernel to sort out now!

Fair play PMT. Just one thing - I'm on 02

Thanks again

EDIT
    Right, the data issue is sorted using this link which is buried on page 99 of this thread
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/detail/configurePhonePopup.do

Just the kernel to sort out now!

Here`s the first thing I found...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=850385

Then this one

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787501

I`m no expert but to me it looks like the wipe was`nt done successful, have you tried again?
    From these threads it should bring everything back to stock.

Edit: Did you apply any tweaks or change anything in Voodoo?
    If so you should revert back to default, everything.

Thanks for reply Lewis.

I am wondering if one can buy a mains operated battery charger.

I want to buy a spare battery but want the other to be charging whilst using the other battery, have checked amazon and to be honest I don't know the name of what I want, but I want to be able to charge the other battery from the mains but not in the phone, is there a "cradle" or something. Would love to know the correct term !! :)Thanks

Thanks for reply Lewis.

I want to buy a spare battery but want the other to be charging whilst using the other battery, have checked amazon and to be honest I don't know the name of what I want, but I want to be able to charge the other battery from the mains but not in the phone, is there a "cradle" or something. Would love to know the correct term !! :)Thanks

I never heard of something like that, could you not just charge it in the phone and then when one runs out use the other.

Can I ask why you want another battery for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Thanks for reply Lewis.

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks for your replies.

I followed Darkys instructions on flashing to 9.2 as per this link: http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-rom-darkys-resurrection-edition-9-2.895/

I have already flashed back to stock using the samfirmware firmware. I should say at this point that I had some difficulty doing so but eventually succeeded. The kernel is still rooted however. Does this mean I haven't flashed back correctly?

I have watched The Noobs Guide on Youtube. I'm probably missing something but I don't quite see how it helps me solve the kernel issue, but if I'm wrong, please forgive my ignorance - I'm not a techie- more a tinkerer!!!

I think if it was done correctly the phone should be unrooted. I had to send my phone back for repair a while ago and was on Darky's. Flashed back to stock and this unrooted the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just ordered SGS online there from meteor :D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vicwatson viewpost.gif
    Thanks for reply Lewis.

I want to buy a spare battery but want the other to be charging whilst using the other battery, have checked amazon and to be honest I don't know the name of what I want, but I want to be able to charge the other battery from the mains but not in the phone, is there a "cradle" or something. Would love to know the correct term !! smile.gifThanks

Here you go

Thanks Dr Zeuss
    I never heard of something like that, could you not just charge it in the phone and then when one runs out use the other.

Can I ask why you want another battery for?

Well if battery A is in the phone and I discharge it, then battery B goes in the phone - How else do I charge battery A when battery B is in the phone ?

Thanks Dr Zeuss

Well if battery A is in the phone and I discharge it, then battery B goes in the phone - How else do I charge battery A when battery B is in the phone ?

I still don`t understand why a second battery is needed, but do what ever makes you happy

I still don`t understand why a second battery is needed, but do what ever makes you happy

Well as you might or might not realise (yet) the battery life seems quite pathetic so good to have a back up (fully charged) battery to hand for when it's required "out in the field" so to speak

That one that was recommended off Amazon cannot be shipped to ireland, did search but no joy, there has to be this simple gadget out there? Somewhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Well as you might or might not realise (yet) the battery life seems quite pathetic so good to have a back up (fully charged) battery to hand for when it's required "out in the field" so to speak

That one that was recommended off Amazon cannot be shipped to ireland, did search but no joy, there has to be this simple gadget out there? Somewhere:)

Apologies, never checked the shipping

How about this one?

Deal extreme can take a while to delivery though.

Or this one looks bit better quality

or this one little more local

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Dont know if mobilefun.co.uk ship to Ireland but this extended battery case looks kinda funky for an add on battery, if you can find it on ebay:

Adds 1300mAh external battery
    Integrated micro USB port and battery charge level indicator too.
    Part No: EEB-U10BBUg
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-s-extended-battery-case-p25834.htm

mobilefun-image.gif25834.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EMARTBUY-SAMSUNG-COMPATIBLE-DESKTOP-DOCKING/dp/B0042TMEWW/ref=pd_sim_ce_9

Mentioned above ^^
    I have this, from Ebay. DO NOT BUY. It works but the battery is not official, the dock itself is too big for what you need, when plugged in there is a large LED that is always on, the charging part of it is a spiral usb that just about stretches to the top of the phone, but because of the strain from the side, tilts the phone.

There has to be something better out there.

but if you really want it, I'll sell you it...

I bought this >> http://store.yankodesign.com/all-products/mobile-tail Really cool, simple, small. I know it has a different purpose than charging, but allows for landscape viewing etc too, unlike all other docks.

• Advertisement

I don`t know what your idea of good battery life is, but you obviously have`nt done your research on ROM`s and such and the ways to get the best battery life possible.

Battery life depends on a lot of factors, BUT, the average "good" battery life, with medium/heavy use would be 1.5 - 2.5 days on most ROM`s.

You can trim this down if you turn off the usual ****, but most people seem to think that`s to much to do and expect god like battery life out of it and start to complain.

You might not realise (yet) but anyone who thinks they need a second battery, expects way to much from something that is already optimized for great battery life...you just have to find that something!

Advertisement