Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

angel01 wrote: »
    Is there an easy way of unrooting a galaxy s that is on 2.2.1?
    hi there angel try posting that question on this form http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192851&page=23

the lads there are pure genius when it comes to rooting and installing roms im sure you will get the answer you are after there

when you say unrooting you mean the phone is already rooted and you want to go back, if so why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Google Maps on the SGS, isn't it supposed to get your location from several sources?
    After I put Darkys ROM on it's not updating my location while just on the Data Connection (no GPS or WiFi), and I think it used to...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Makdoll

Not sure what phone to buy. I was iphone4 minded but I've been put off by friends

So my question is can you video call on Skype on the Samung Galaxy S or is it just talk time as I have heard?:confused:

Makdoll wrote: »
    Not sure what phone to buy. I was iphone4 minded but I've been put off by friends

So my question is can you video call on Skype on the Samung Galaxy S or is it just talk time as I have heard?:confused:

no they are really having a laugh wit skype but there are a couple of other apps you can use to video call like tango

there are a lot better phones out there than the iphone its just the iphone is the most pushed and everyone believes the media hype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Makdoll

Ah balls to that. I cant expect others to download other apps to suit me. That is annoying. That is very true about the iphone4 and i nearly followed like a lamb.

Can you recommend any other smart phones?

• Advertisement

Makdoll wrote: »
    Ah balls to that. I cant expect others to download other apps to suit me. That is annoying. That is very true about the iphone4 and i nearly followed like a lamb.

Can you recommend any other smart phones?

obviously since im using the samsung galaxy s thats what im going to recommend mine is flashed with darky rom and has lag fix app so its very fast another great phone is the htc desire hd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I have Kies ver.2.0.0.11032_12
    That's the one i have also. The one to download on on samsung apps is 2.0.0.11014_49_2. Assuming that's out of date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

What this phone needs is a hardware button for skipping music tracks. Hardly any hacks for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

budgemook wrote: »
    What this phone needs is a hardware button for skipping music tracks. Hardly any hacks for that?

There was talk somewhere of implementing somethign like that. Long press on volume buttons to go forward and back. Not sure if anyone has done it though. Search on XDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

superfish wrote: »
    hi there angel try posting that question on this form http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192851&page=23

the lads there are pure genius when it comes to rooting and installing roms im sure you will get the answer you are after there

when you say unrooting you mean the phone is already rooted and you want to go back, if so why ?

I was having issues with my phone, I didn't get to unroot it but I will leave it as it is now.. I reset it back to default (as was having issues with dolphin hd saving my settings..)

Working now.. panic over :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I finally got around to upgrading the the samsung beta gingerbread rom XXJVK a couple of days ago.

It's nice but there isn't really anything all that new.
    Memory management definitely seems improved though.

Will see how it fairs over the next few days but I'm looking forward to the official GB rom.

budgemook wrote: »

I discovered my old n900 headset will play,pause and skip tracks. This is it:
    http://www.allaboutmeego.com/gallery/item/Nokia_N900.php?phid=4035749116&page=1

No idea what the product code is.

When there is no music playing one click will start music. When playing it will pause then a dbl click will skip to next track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

I finally got around to upgrading the the samsung beta gingerbread rom XXJVK a couple of days ago.

It's nice but there isn't really anything all that new.
    Memory management definitely seems improved though.

Will see how it fairs over the next few days but I'm looking forward to the official GB rom.

Do you have to be rooted to do this? If not where did you get the beta?

Edit- searched the net, seems you have to be rooted. Any idea when the official one will be out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Raoul wrote: »
    Do you have to be rooted to do this? If not where did you get the beta?

Edit- searched the net, seems you have to be rooted. Any idea when the official one will be out?

Beta has been out for ages on samfirmware.com. You don't need root, you flash it with Odin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Beta has been out for ages on samfirmware.com. You don't need root, you flash it with Odin

Well even flashing, I am awfully afraid of ruining my phone as I seriously cannot afford a new one if I brick it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

Well even flashing, I am awfully afraid of ruining my phone as I seriously cannot afford a new one if I brick it.:(

I just don't know how anyone can stick with the Stock ROM on Galaxy S.........
    You don't know what you're missing

G1032 wrote: »
    I just don't know how anyone can stick with the Stock ROM on Galaxy S.........
    You don't know what you're missing

Really? I don't find it that slow at all. Like is the main upside to rooting not to make the phone faster. Also I my battery lasts comfortably for two days with screen brightness on about 70% and I text loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/07/gingerbread-update-for-samsung-galaxy-s-to-start-rolling-out-in/

Right then, new timeframe of mid- April for the official Gingerbread update, after the supposed "Before the end of March" timeframe has come and gone without a mention from Samsung!

Tbh, at this stage, if it came before the end of April, i think we'd be doing quite well. Bear in mind, a full 4 months has passed since the Gingerbread SDK was released! As of yet, not one manufacturer(Other than the Nexus phones, obviously) has released a gingerbread update for a device that was using Froyo... I think manufacturers are underestimating the draw to buy a phone off a company that gets its updates out quick..

Its up to you, but these phones are virtually impossible to brick. You never change the bootloader so download mode is always accessible. Even if something goes wrong its just a matter of flashing again in download mode. You can even flash back to an official Samsung firmware if you need to.

Its up to you, but these phones are virtually impossible to brick. You never change the bootloader so download mode is always accessible. Even if something goes wrong its just a matter of flashing again in download mode. You can even flash back to an official Samsung firmware if you need to.

Hmmm, ok. I may be convinced here! ha. So what do I need to do or know before I brick my phone, I mean flash :P.

Is there a certain way to do it depending on what version of froyo you are on?

What should I flash to?

Do I have to back up everything?

Sorry, these things have prob been asked about 100 times in this thread. But I just want to be sure. Also, when gb comes out do I have to flash back to stock to upgrade to it? And can I still use kies or should I use something else?

• Advertisement

Hmmm, ok. I may be convinced here! ha. So what do I need to do or know before I brick my phone, I mean flash :P.

Is there a certain way to do it depending on what version of froyo you are on?

What should I flash to?

Do I have to back up everything?

Sorry, these things have prob been asked about 100 times in this thread. But I just want to be sure.

Flash to Darkys, 9.5 is the latest
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231783

How do i back up my contacts? And can I use swype on Darkys?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Zonda999 wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/07/gingerbread-update-for-samsung-galaxy-s-to-start-rolling-out-in/

Right then, new timeframe of mid- April for the official Gingerbread update, after the supposed "Before the end of March" timeframe has come and gone without a mention from Samsung!

Tbh, at this stage, if it came before the end of April, i think we'd be doing quite well. Bear in mind, a full 4 months has passed since the Gingerbread SDK was released! As of yet, not one manufacturer(Other than the Nexus phones, obviously) has released a gingerbread update for a device that was using Froyo... I think manufacturers are underestimating the draw to buy a phone off a company that gets its updates out quick..

Anyone think this delay is to conicide with the delay of the Galaxy S II ?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi Raoul
    There is a very comprehensive thread here on boards on flashing to Darkys Rom
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056192851

I'm like you have not made the switch over yet for same reasons as you... getting good battery life, performance etc...
    Although its the situation that if you don't know what you are missing you won't miss it !!!!

Keep us posted if you make the change ;)

Ger.

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi Raoul
    There is a very comprehensive thread here on boards on flashing to Darkys Rom
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056192851

I'm like you have not made the switch over yet for same reasons as you... getting good battery life, performance etc...
    Although its the situation that if you don't know what you are missing you won't miss it !!!!

Keep us posted if you make the change ;)

Ger.
    Yeah read through a couple of the threads and found this:

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-installing-darkys-rom-on-2-2-2-2-1-i9000-i9000m-only.1041/

Looks like the best guide. Think I will make the change later on.

I just want to know first how to back up my contacts and if swype will work on darkys. Thats the only two things. Can't find anywhere that has a definite best way to back up contacts.

How do i back up my contacts? And can I use swype on Darkys?

Get all your contacts as Google contacts and then you'll never need to back them up and can edit them online in Google Mail. I don't use sim or phone contacts at all.

Yes, Darkys has 3 keyboards to chose from, Swype, Gingerbread and Samsung

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ste- wrote: »
    Anyone think this delay is to conicide with the delay of the Galaxy S II ?
    Perhaps, maybe they want the launches to coincide, although i cant see what that would achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Raoul, I downloaded JVK from samfirmware.com.

Just be careful what version you download - there is a few. One of them does contain new bootloaders. Search the xda-developers forum for more details.
    Be careful!

I recommend you stick to official 2.2.1 or as the lads suggest - give Darky's ROM a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Poor ole Roaul, does`nt know the world he`s getting himself into, lol

• Advertisement

lewis wrote: »
    Poor ole Roaul, does`nt know the world he`s getting himself into, lol

Haha, am I going to become addicted to flashing various roms??:eek:

Advertisement