Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

moggser wrote: »
    ah looks good but it seems that it took away me fav feature.... the scroll up in the app page like the nexus s... and that one looks like a side scroller

No its scroll up/down, app drawer also has its own wallpaper, for me I like the transparent one.
    G1032 wrote: »
    Battery life is great. I think it's better than with Darky's.
    I don't think I'll be going back to Darky's.
    I'm on Insanity 0.6.9. Not going to bother upgrading to 7.0. 0.6.9 is absolutely perfect.

I did`nt want to go to 7.0 either cause I found 6.9 very good, but I felt like I was missing something, now I`m on it, with all apps restored, I can say it is a bit more snappier and smooother

Jesus, Insanity is stirring up some interest, I was away far to long, all questions answered perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

New SGS arived today! Is there a thread around here of things to do (aside from new rom) or recommended apps to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

New SGS arived today! Is there a thread around here of things to do (aside from new rom) or recommended apps to install?

Well done :)

Good thread here on must have aps and games.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658304

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

First thing you need to do is flash Insanity.........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

G1032 wrote: »
    Flashing this will void the warranty.
    But to unvoid the warranty again just flash back to stock (if it needs to go back for repair)

Cheers,

How difficult is it to flash, and if anything goes wrong how hard would it be to flash back.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Cheers,

How difficult is it to flash, and if anything goes wrong how hard would it be to flash back.

Not difficult, but of course there is always a chance something could go wrong and you'll brick the phone. A small chance, but a chance none the less.

Here is the link to Insanity ROM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=843019

There are loads and loads of posts in the Android forum here about doing this type of stuff. Have a read and make sure you're comfortable with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Raoul wrote: »
    Cheers,

Don't, get used to the feel of Android first and most importantly get all your contacts imported in as google contacts, then you can turn off sim and phone contacts. Get the Samsung update through Kies first, its got lag fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

PMT,

I've been on Darky's 9.2 for a while and fairly happy with it. My only issues are a long delay populating the homescreen when disconnecting from a Samsung Charging dock. It takes about 30 seconds to pop up the icons on the home screen. Only happens with the official Samsung Docks (I have 2 of them) and not when charging directly from the power socket or via USB from my laptop.

Darky's has now moved onto 9.5 and I see people are singing the praises of Insanity v7 but what about Samsung's official 2.3. Is that out?

If I was to switch ROM now what would you (or others?) recommend I switch to and why? I don't want to go to the hassle of installing a new ROM, reinstalling all my apps etc and resetting up the phone the way I like it unless there is a tangible benefit such as much improved battery life, much improved GPS functionality or some other new functionality.

Ben

2.3.3 is out but its a Samsung beta firmware. Darky has prepared v10 beta 3 based on it, its buggy, is missing lots of stuff and memory management isn't as good as 2.2.1. I've not moved to insanity, its a stripped down rom, I prefer Darkys and am waiting for a more stable release of 2.3.3

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

"Contacts" list disappeared - If I press contacts it tells me there is no contacts in the list (though they were there yesterday).

However, they are there when I go to send a text message but not when I go directly to "contacts"

How do I get them back into "contacts"?

Help ! Please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey, I've been looking at this thread for awhile and hoping I didn't need to use it - but here I am!.

I understand I'm not alone in experiencing this problem - ie my phone connect connect to my PC.. Its showing up on its screen that its connected (and charging) via the USB cable however thats as far as I'm getting.

I also can't seem to locate the kies on the Samsung website.

HELP - SOS :o

Hey, I've been looking at this thread for awhile and hoping I didn't need to use it - but here I am!.

I understand I'm not alone in experiencing this problem - ie my phone connect connect to my PC.. Its showing up on its screen that its connected (and charging) via the USB cable however thats as far as I'm getting.

I also can't seem to locate the kies on the Samsung website.

HELP - SOS :o

Settings > Wireless and Network > USB Settings.
    Then pick your desired option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I also can't seem to locate the kies on the Samsung website

Its in Samsung apps

http://www.samsungapps.com/about/onPc.as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks guys, I'm just on the way out to work but I'll try those when I'm home later.

A message from kies popped up today when I turned on my laptop saying that a firmware upgrade was available for my phone but then when I opened kies it says absolutely nothing about it and that my phone is up to date.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Annoying little problem here. When I reboot my phone the icons on the home screen for apps that I've moved to the SD card disappear and I have to create shortcuts all over again. Its not a huge problem just very irritating. I have the SD card mounted and everything looks fine. Perhaps the SD card is mounting after the home screen is populated with icons or something? Could be talkin out my ass there though.

edit: I'm on Android 2.2, rooted and with ext4 tools installed if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ca110w

I've been reading through some pages on this thread, and suspect I know the answer to this question already, but I'll still ask. I got a Samsung Galaxy S last weekend, and am extremely unimpressed with the battery life. As an example, the other day, I unplugged the charger at eight in the morning and the battery was empty at four that afternoon. Wifi wasn't switched on, no voice calls were made or received, and I had little or no messing around with apps. Anytime I do make or take calls, 20 minutes will usually take care of the battery life. I brought it back to the phone shop, and they gave me a replacement battery, but the story is the same. I'm going back again tomorrow to demand a new phone. Surely battery life can't be that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

ca110w wrote: »
    I've been reading through some pages on this thread, and suspect I know the answer to this question already, but I'll still ask. I got a Samsung Galaxy S last weekend, and am extremely unimpressed with the battery life. As an example, the other day, I unplugged the charger at eight in the morning and the battery was empty at four that afternoon. Wifi wasn't switched on, no voice calls were made or received, and I had little or no messing around with apps. Anytime I do make or take calls, 20 minutes will usually take care of the battery life. I brought it back to the phone shop, and they gave me a replacement battery, but the story is the same. I'm going back again tomorrow to demand a new phone. Surely battery life can't be that bad?

What is the brightness like? is it syncing with apps? is bluetooth running?

Two things I would get.

Startup auditor and juice defender.

Startup auditor will prevent things from starting up themselves and using your battery, juice defender moderates a few different things.

I use my phone loads, playing games, internet and text. I charge every night but know that if I really wanted to I could make it last a two days.

FWIW, I can get 3 days out of my Galaxy S running Darkys 9.5 with average usage. You need to be careful which apps are continuously syncing, don't run many widgets and reduce the brightness on your screen as low as possible. The screen is the worst offender, avoid a live wallpaper and use a dark theme. Most of all update the phone to the latest firmware.

• Advertisement

Screen brightness and screen timeout are both at their absolute minimum. I don't have a live wallpaper. Bluetooth is not running. Yahoo mail, Twitter and Facebook are synced.

Screen brightness and screen timeout are both at their absolute minimum. I don't have a live wallpaper. Bluetooth is not running. Yahoo mail, Twitter and Facebook are synced.

Time to look into a custom rom then so, these have better themes and give longer battery life.

Have you tried juice defender? it stops lots of things running and greatly increased my battery life before I went the custom rom route

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Time to look into a custom rom then so, these have better themes and give longer battery life.

Have you tried juice defender? it stops lots of things running and greatly increased my battery life before I went the custom rom route

apparently advising people to use custom roms is the wrong thing to do according to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227933&page=3 lol im so glad I flashed mine with darky 9.5 il never go back now

superfish wrote: »
    apparently advising people to use custom roms is the wrong thing to do according to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056227933&page=3 lol im so glad I flashed mine with darky 9.5 il never go back now

Not if he's already used to the phone, I'd never advise someone new to android it to flash their phone, it needs some knowledge of the software for backing up before you do.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not if he's already used to the phone, I'd never advise someone new to android it to flash their phone, it needs some knowledge of the software for backing up before you do.

I totally agree with you as I had mine for a good 8 week before flash but in this case he stated that he was unimpressed by the phone in comparison to his Iphone hence me suggesting to flash it

Thanks guys. I've downloaded and installed Startup auditor and juice defender. Forgive my ignorance but what's a custom rom? And darky 9.5?

Thanks guys. I've downloaded and installed Startup auditor and juice defender. Forgive my ignorance but what's a custom rom? And darky 9.5?

In simple terms, the rom is what you see on the screen and the things behind it that make it run.

So a different rom will change whats on the screen and run it, hopefully more efficiently and there is various different roms that you can install to suit your own taste.

I have used the one that came on the phone and I am happy with it. Its whatever you like really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Dude read up on how to flash ROM`s and say hello to better battery life...

With most ROM`s now there`s no need for battery saver apps and such.
    If you know how apps and general battery saving ways go, you`ll get great battery life.

What`s a custom ROM, you might as well be asking what`s the meaning of life, lol.
    When you first got your phone, it comes with a default ROM, so to speak, the ROM`s we`re on about are better versions.
    Read up on them and you`ll get the idea.
    Darky`s 9.5 is old but good.

I`d just like to say I love Blue Screens of DEATH!!!

lewis wrote: »
    Dude read up on how to flash ROM`s and say hello to better battery life...

With most ROM`s now there`s no need for battery saver apps and such.
    If you know how apps and general battery saving ways go, you`ll get great battery life.

What`s a custom ROM, you might as well be asking what`s the meaning of life, lol.
    When you first got your phone, it comes with a default ROM, so to speak, the ROM`s we`re on about are better versions.
    Read up on them and you`ll get the idea.
    Darky`s 9.5 is old but good.

I`d just like to say I love Blue Screens of DEATH!!!

have to agree with lewis im getting 3 days battery life since I flashed my phone wit a different rom Ive also installed ultimate juice and set cpu

• Advertisement

The battery isn't faulty. You just need to refresh the battery stats. Google 'Refresh Battery Stats Galaxy S'

Advertisement