Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Clerical Officers in Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

i got an email for top band, wouldnt hold my breathe though, I doubt there will be many jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Didn't get it either.I reckon there's a it of random selection going on there...they narrow down to a group that they reckon are ok, they select candidates at random.
    Personal opinion!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

I got an email too to say on Top band. I really want to get one of these jobs.

Anyone apply for it in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sburn

got the reserve 1 All e-mail for waterford area, read thread before applying, was economical with the truth, still no joy. time to hit last resort of FAS WPP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

As far as I can see the PS is a completely impenetrable operation....how can people get jobs in there (and no, I'm not holding out for only a job in there, any job would be nice, but I can't make head or tail of how they process applications, especially given the amount of information they require from you for every job)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Got an email calling me for interview in Dublin on Wednesday. Anyone else get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Monife wrote: »
    Got an email calling me for interview in Dublin on Wednesday. Anyone else get one?

No nothing yet here, did you apply for Swords by any chance? Not much notice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

nothing either! VERY short notice?! could be availability thing?

Mimojo wrote: »
    No nothing yet here, did you apply for Swords by any chance? Not much notice!!!

Swords and Dublin. Very short notice, got the email friday for interview tomorrow!

Think the application process for the temp job penalises those who are honest and haven't had the experience of knowing what publicjobs are looking for in your answers.

• Advertisement

Think the application process for the temp job penalises those who are honest and haven't had the experience of knowing what publicjobs are looking for in your answers.

I didn't know what publicjobs were looking for in the way of answers and I answered completely truthfully and got an interview, so I think you are off the mark there.

There are no certain answers, you are suppose to answer truthfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

I didn't know what publicjobs were looking for in the way of answers and I answered completely truthfully and got an interview, so I think you are off the mark there.

I completely second that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You are a matematical abberation. Either that or you genuinely 'love' 'and are good at' photocopying.

Bullshít. You are penalised for telling the truth. The labour market is the same everywhere, we're all supposed to be arrogant tools and we're supposed to overly 'sell ourselves' on our CVs and in interviews. If everyone told the truth at interviews; that they, like most people in the world, are mediocre and disinterested in most things, the world would be a much better place. Alas.

I find it hard to believe that you answered the questions 100% honestly instead of thinking what they might be looking for.

Denerick wrote: »
    You are a matematical abberation. Either that or you genuinely 'love' 'and are good at' photocopying.

Bullshít. You are penalised for telling the truth. The labour market is the same everywhere, we're all supposed to be arrogant tools and we're supposed to overly 'sell ourselves' on our CVs and in interviews. If everyone told the truth at interviews; that they, like most people in the world, are mediocre and disinterested in most things, the world would be a much better place. Alas.

There is no problem with selling yourself. When you have done a number of interviews, you will realise this is the only way to get the job. I am not talking about lying, but bigging up your achievements and telling them what you are good at. I actually do like office work. I love computers, I love excel and word and love challenging myself to see what else I can do with the above programmes (having done a course covering both at level 6). Now, as much as I like the above, I much prefer law and typing and legal secretarial work. But no one will even accept me for an interview there as I have no experience (even though I have certificates and think I could do the job no problem) so I am happy with "office work" at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Denerick wrote: »

I love photocopying, if the alternative is being unemployed and thus broke.

And I'm pretty damn fantastic at it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 labk

Applied for Dublin & Swords and completed the assesment. You have to say you are great at everything as I learned from previous assesments. Got ranked top on both and had interview which went well. Hope to hear in next few days. Can't wait to get back to work as haven't worked for last few years as I choose to stat at home with kids. Good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Got top band in Dublin, waiting to be called for interview. Labk what was the interview like? Can you divulge any info?

Interview was grand. They just go through your education and work experience that you put down on the application form and ask you a few questions about it.

Then they ask you about your personal qualities and organisation skills and ask you to explain an example of where you demonstrated your organisation skills in your last job. There were a few other examples they asked you to give but my mind has gone blank now.

Good luck to everyone else who have an interview, and for those who got in the top band, i'd say you will be called for interview soon. They said the marks of interview should be out in a week, so I would assume interviews will be all this week and possibly a day or 2 next week.

Thats brilliant feedback Monife! I got top band in Dublin but not for Swords so I'd say the Swords group are being done first by the sounds of things. Best of luck to all who were interviewed and fingers crossed I will be called for interview soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

My daughter applied for the swords based positions...does anyone know if EVERYBODY wil lat least hear back....

ourtrail wrote: »
    Thats brilliant feedback Monife! I got top band in Dublin but not for Swords so I'd say the Swords group are being done first by the sounds of things. Best of luck to all who were interviewed and fingers crossed I will be called for interview soon.

Yeah I think they are covering swords first. I am already working in the CSO in Swords and was advised to go for this competition because the panel may stay open for 3 years. I stupidly put Swords down even though I am already working there. Also put Dublin. I hope there isnt another interview for Dublin...

I know we are getting 31 new TCO's next week and some more the week after so these interviews are prob for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I wish I had been keeping an eye out on this thread! Sounds like I missed the deadline.

Yeah I guessed the Swords applications would be interviewed immediately wit the Census going on. When you say the panel may stay open for 3 years does that mean they do not plan to assess applicants again for 3 years but rather use people from this panel each year?

I have heard of people who achieved top band in two areas before having to attend two separate interviews.

Yeah I guessed the Swords applications would be interviewed immediately wit the Census going on. When you say the panel may stay open for 3 years does that mean they do not plan to assess applicants again for 3 years but rather use people from this panel each year?

I have heard of people who achieved top band in two areas before having to attend two separate interviews.

Aw no are ya serious? I hope it is not this month. Have no annual leave left (leave year starts April) :(

Panel's usually stay open for a year and whenever a vacancy arises in a government department they go to that panel. With the way the country is, and not knowing what the new government is going to do, the lady in PAS advised me to go for it anyway as the panel could stay open for 3 years.

Did any else hear anything about an interview that got Dublin but not Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Phantasos

So, have all the candidates for Swords been selected now? Can I rule it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Did any else hear anything about an interview that got Dublin but not Swords?

I got Kildare and only reserve for Swords & havent heard anything yet. I think they may be interviewing those for Swords first - Hopefully they will then come to us! Last year I was interviewed in Dublin for Kildare so asume the same this year

Yeah that is what I was thinking all right Mimojo. I got Dublin and reserve for Swords. Where was your interview last year held?

Phantasos you should have received an e-mail over a week ago letting you know the results of the assessment. Check your junk e-mail thats where my e-mail went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Phantasos

Phantasos you should have received an e-mail over a week ago letting you know the results of the assessment. Check your junk e-mail thats where my e-mail went.

I got a reply for another region (Top Band, yay!) but not for Swords. It just looks like the Swords candidates have been notified already. Maybe I'm being greedy, looking for another reply!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement