Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

kildareash wrote: »
    Ladies, I don't wish to sound smart, but I just think with the fruit and vegetables use your own common sense.
    I know from my own experience and similar to the stock cubes, it's not eating an extra few pieces of fruit every day that has me overweight.

Howdy, I just logged in to catch up with posts from the past couple of days and tend to respond to things as I see them rather than waiting until the end to see if they've been covered elsewhere. I see you and Kay are basically saying exactly the same as me...sorry for boring everyone to death....must try to wait before replying. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

amira wrote: »
    Hi S-L
    Are you sure about the salt & vinegar tesco rice cakes? I bought a packet the other day and i pointed them at 1pp each.. must multiply by 3 in the calculator see if comes up with 2 pp.. i could have had one extra yesterday.. i love them things.. :D

had the yellowfin sole with lemon&pepper from Aldi last nite and it was lovely.. someone said it was 5pp but i pointed it at 4.. can anybody confirm?
    Now i'm having doubts that i'm pointing things right!! :rolleyes:

LOL Amira, I think you are pointing things fine. I think there is some debate over the yellowfin sole from Aldi as Lady Lainy was saying she was having 2 for 8pp and others were querying that. It is of course possible the the nutitional info has changed slightly or some bags have a printing error. I wouldn't worry too much about the 1 pp to be honest, I am sure there are lots of things similar. For example on a cut soda bread loaf it has the nutri info for a "standard 38g serving" ie: a slice. Ok, so one slice = 2 pp, but 2 = 5pp. However, if you take a slice from the middle (which is bigger) and a slice from the end is it ok to judge that as 4pp........of course it is!!! You can't walk around with a weighing scales. You should know if you are doing things fundamentally wrong pretty quickly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Kay_80 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting what a ''portion size" is I would have been right on the fruit but would have thought a bit more on the veg 2 tablespoons seems small if talking about chopped veg for a stirfry as in pepper, sugar snaps etc but good to know all the same!

Edit: okay so is a dessertspoon much bigger than a tablespoon or are they the same? I get confused bu that!

It does seem very little...hope I haven't opened a whole new can of worms for people now!:rolleyes:
    I never know a desertspoon from a tablespoon either! Must go have a look in the drawer when I get home.
    kashmir wrote: »
    [

Howdy, I just logged in to catch up with posts from the past couple of days and tend to respond to things as I see them rather than waiting until the end to see if they've been covered elsewhere. I see you and Kay are basically saying exactly the same as me...sorry for boring everyone to death....must try to wait before replying. :)

Haha...your grand. I was afraid of a backlash, but I honestly don't think it's that big a deal.
    I think the fruit being free is fantastic because I have started eating more, and I wld imagine that is one of the reasons behind it.

Anyway, enough distractions. Must get back to work before the boss catches me!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Kashmir you're not boring anyone & to be honest it's nice to see other posters (yourself & Kildareash ) having a similar view point. With us newbies on pp it's easy to get into a flux & freak out at 1pp here or there or fruit or smoothies or whatever is the concern of the day it's great to read others opinions be they the same or of a differing viewpoint :) It gives a bit of confidence to other posters (or lurkers) who aren't so sure & can't ask at a meeting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

This thread is moving fast today :)
    Do you not eat any bread / rolls / wraps? Might fill you more so you wouldn't crave the chocolate??

No, Kashmir, I'm not a bread person. Sometimes I bring some WW bread with me, but I don't find that it fills me up.
    Hi S-L
    Are you sure about the salt & vinegar tesco rice cakes? I bought a packet the other day and i pointed them at 1pp each.. must multiply by 3 in the calculator see if comes up with 2 pp.. i could have had one extra yesterday.. i love them things.. :D

Yes, I'm sure because I pointed them again after I read in the blue book that 3 rice cakes are 2pp. The S&V ones are 3 for 2pp, but the Chilli ones are 2 for 2pp! :)

Just in relation to the fruit, does anyone know if the little tubs in fruit in juice are 0pp or if you have to point them? I thought they were zero but then I pointed it and it came out as 2pp. Going to bring the packet to my leader tonight to confirm. Haven't eaten them yet as wasn't sure and don't want to waste 2pp on a tiny thing that wouldn't fill a fly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Just in relation to the fruit, does anyone know if the little tubs in fruit in juice are 0pp or if you have to point them? I thought they were zero but then I pointed it and it came out as 2pp. Going to bring the packet to my leader tonight to confirm. Haven't eaten them yet as wasn't sure and don't want to waste 2pp on a tiny thing that wouldn't fill a fly!

If you drain the juice, they are 0PP. I have them at home too, the peach ones, and the juice is so minimal i'd say it would be no harm in having the juice aswell, especially if it is natural (like just water and the fruit flavour from the fruit).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dubgirlww

Hi S-L

had the yellowfin sole with lemon&pepper from Aldi last nite and it was lovely.. someone said it was 5pp but i pointed it at 4.. can anybody confirm?
    i pointed that fish at 4 too....sooo yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Is this never going to end about the fruit!! It's really bad the way different classes are being given different information. Don't point any fresh fruit or tinned or jarred fruit in it's own juice except for avocado and point only the veg that we know from our handbooks and experience needs to be pointed - potatoes, turnip etc. Just live like this and you will reach a balance. STOP WORRYING EVERYONE, the sky is not going to fall in if you eat a bit of extra fruit believe me.

could not have said it better my self kashmir! I think people are stressing out so much about fruit....that its the stress it self is causing the wonky weigh in,

fruit & veg (bar the ones we know about) are 0pp,

try switching your carb intake to wholegrain sources, stick to lean proteins, and watch the portion control, weight and track EVERYTHING.

potatoes, rice, pasta, mince should be weighed BEFORE cooking

I know i didn't get to be the size of a house from eating bananas and strawberries!

the principle of the new programme, is fruit takes effort from the body to digest, humans cant digest cellulose (which is a type of fiber in fruit) so the body has to work extra hard to pass that from the body....the harder the body works the less pp are in the food.

thats why whole grain foods work out slightly less than standard veriety, like brown bread Vs white bread....the white bread is SO processed the body has less work to do, so its s fraction higher in points than brown bread.

Dubgirlww wrote: »
    i pointed that fish at 4 too....sooo yummy!

I'm the one that found it :) and I point it as 4 too :D
    its only the yellow one is 4...the green box is higher, cant remember what pp it is but the yellow i point as 4,

I've always found it tricky point frozen stuff, never know do i point the cooked weight or frozen weight,

kildareash wrote: »
    It does seem very little...hope I haven't opened a whole new can of worms for people now!:rolleyes:
    I never know a desertspoon from a tablespoon either! Must go have a look in the drawer when I get home.

Haha...your grand. I was afraid of a backlash, but I honestly don't think it's that big a deal.
    I think the fruit being free is fantastic because I have started eating more, and I wld imagine that is one of the reasons behind it.

Anyway, enough distractions. Must get back to work before the boss catches me!

I got measuring spoons in tesco :D they are a god send! I would be lost with out them, and then in doubt....GOOGLE IT :) 1 tablespoon = grams, and you get the g amount so you can just weight it on on scales :D

1 table spoon,
    1/2 table spoon
    1/4 table spoon,
    tea spoon
    1/2 teaspoon
    1/4 tea spoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dubgirlww

dammitj wrote: »
    That made me laugh out loud dubgirl!!
    I made a pig of myself on Paddy's day and also on saturday when I had my sister and her family over for the night.
    Been exercising as much as possible since, but I don't think it's gonna make a dent in the damage done. :(

I've just had 2 rich teas, my last food of the day, and I feel like I could just eat everything that's in the house so I think I'll just have to go to bed.
    :(
    Hahaha glad to make you laugh....i think that was my breaking point and after being down 1 last(miracle and back to goal weight) i am determined to lose 2 this week!! having a challenge with a work friend as we both so bad lately that we have to lose 2 plus!! our competitive sides will drive us on!!

well done on your lose!!

sorry if i sounded out of line,

just mean people should try not to worry about fruit so much, your doing really great to be eating so much fruit and veg :) It is GOOD for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

Hi Amira, it was me, but mine was from Lidl, not Aldi,

Can someone check it for me: protein 16.4g, Carb 11.5g, Fat 7.1g Fibre 1.0g. I'm just afraid now that my calculator is wrong (or my fingers are too chubby lol)

It is a blue box each fillet is 125g.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Week 10 WI and I lost 1lb so thats 12.5 gone now and 7.5lbs to go so delighted with myself!

I love staying for the class cos you pick up great tips and my leader is really very good and motivational. She brought a lady to the top of the class and asked her to tell her story. She started last year in March and has lost 5st 8lbs. She was in a size 22 and is now in a size 10. Well I was nearly balling listening to her. She said she averaged approx 2lbs loss in the first few months then it slowed right down to sometimes 0.5 in a week but it was a great example of how doing it slowly and correctly is the right way.

Everyone has their own goal. I for instance want to loose 20lbs in total because that 20lbs was really getting me down, my confidence and self esteem were so low and along with being unemployed I just was not the same person. I have read here that some leaders seem to have their favorites or never show any interest in some people. I really would advise finding a class that you are happy with, it has done the world of good for me. €10 a week is changing my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi Amira, it was me, but mine was from Lidl, not Aldi,

Can someone check it for me: protein 16.4g, Carb 11.5g, Fat 7.1g Fibre 1.0g. I'm just afraid now that my calculator is wrong (or my fingers are too chubby lol)

It is a blue box each fillet is 125g.

That info comes out as 5PP. Prob because they are from different stores.

Monife wrote: »
    That info comes out as 5PP. Prob because they are from different stores.

the aldi one is lower (and alot tastier i think)

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    the aldi one is lower (and alot tastier i think)

Oh good to know Lady Lainy, I don't have an Aldi near me, but gonna take a trip to one over the weekend, what colour box are the Aldi yellow fins, also the Tuna is it a bag or a box, also can you recommend any other things in Aldi, I don't go there but the fact I'm gonna go this week, i'm gonna try and stock up big time...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

Hi S-L

I count it as four as well it is totaly delish so worth it:pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Just been to Dunnes to pick up my weekly goodies. Sorry if I am repeating anything that anyone has already said. Came across a couple of things:

2 pack large mushrooms filled with bacon, onion, cheddar and tomatoes 2pp each. Just had them with 2 dunnes waffles (2pp each) for my dinner. Total 8pp

For Pizza lovers like myself, green isle mini frozen cheese pizzas, 7pp each for €1.99. Add a loads of 0pp toppings, 100g oven bake chips 4pp and rocket salad. Yum!

Packed veg - fine beans or mange tout or mixed baby corn, mange tout and baby carrots - 2 packs for €3. Stir fry tomorrow!

Cully and Sully products were the tasters this week and the lady had 50c off coupons. Their chicken and veg soup is only 4pp for the carton. I would only use half of that with my lunch for 2pp. Haven't been bothered making soup this week.

Oh good to know Lady Lainy, I don't have an Aldi near me, but gonna take a trip to one over the weekend, what colour box are the Aldi yellow fins, also the Tuna is it a bag or a box, also can you recommend any other things in Aldi, I don't go there but the fact I'm gonna go this week, i'm gonna try and stock up big time...

ALDI
    Tuna is in a orange bag, Fishmongler is the brand, there prawns are so nice as well :)
    The Yellowfin Sole in Lemon&Pepper is Yellowbox

Satin Crunch Crisps, (same thing as Velvet Crunch) 2pp a bag for both flavours, Thai Sweet Chili, Cheese & Onion,

Ham Cubes Twin Packs (there are two types, one is Ham BITS) Ham cubes have no visible fat on them, the ham BITS do) Ham Cubes are 2pp per packet (150g) the Ham bits are like 6pp a packet...so stick to the ham cubes

Someone else was mentioning Sun rice things...havent been able to find them myself in aldi, i dont know what they look like....i'm prob walking past them all the time, I think they are like rice krispie bar things, 2pp each i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Trek1974

hi all , does anyone know how many points are in a 500ml can of miller (not pro points )

thanks

ALDI
    Tuna is in a orange bag, Fishmongler is the brand, there prawns are so nice as well :)

Satin Crunch Crisps, (same thing as Velvet Crunch) 2pp a bag for both flavours, Thai Sweet Chili, Cheese & Onion,

Ham Cubes Twin Packs (there are two types, one is Ham BITS) Ham cubes have no visible fat on them, the ham BITS do) Ham Cubes are 2pp per packet (150g) the Ham bits are like 6pp a packet...so stick to the ham cubes

Someone else was mentioning Sun rice things...havent been able to find them myself in aldi, i dont know what they look like....i'm prob walking past them all the time, I think they are like rice krispie bar things, 2pp each i think

Your an absolute star lady lainy, have written them all down for my day trip on Sat. Not a fan of prawns but will try the Tuna, normally just use a tin of tuna for my lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mcb81

Black cherry and cinnamon crumble 7pp/serving
    Serves 4

350g cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
    425g canned cherries in juice, stoned
    1 tbsp arrowroot

150g plain white four
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    75g polyunsaturated margarine
    50g Demerara sugar

• preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190C/Fan oven 170C
    • Place the apples in a large saucepan with the canned cherries and juice and heat until just boiling.
    • Mix the arrowroot with a little cold water to make a thin paste and stir this into the pan. Cook, stirring, until the juices thicken slightly. Spoon the fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish.
    • Sift the flour and cinnamon into a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine using your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and then scatter the crumble mixture over the top of the fruit.
    • Bake for 25 mins, until the crumble topping is crunchy and golden. Serve hot or cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Layla0509

ALDI

Hey Lainy they're beside all the biscuits in a yellow pk there's an orange pk too diff flavour I think

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

izzy24 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how many points in a large 99 cone with flake??
    .......don't know but would like to as i had one last sun!!! didn't affect me thank god i was down 1lb tonight!!

Layla0509 wrote: »
    Hey Lainy they're beside all the biscuits in a yellow pk there's an orange pk too diff flavour I think

just make sure you point the orange and green boxes...they are different pp i think, cos i pointed them all ages ago and the yellow box was the lowest

woops i think you were talking the sun rice things LOL my brain still on the yellow sole fin, cos that comes in different flavours too, but the other flavours are higher in pp than the Lemon & Pepper

WOOOOOOOOO! Just finished this massive project which has been a source of so much stress! WOOOOOOOO :D This calls for a muffin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Just made WW BLondies!!!

Had no choc chips but used malteasers! ;)

They are smelling amazing! Need them to cool down now so I can eat one, or two....

They're working out at about 1.5 old points too! They're about 4pp so not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BabyBlueJeans

Hi there, I started weightwatchers 2weeks ago and have lost 3lbs so far. This thread has been fantastic at keeping me motivated and for giving me loads of advice to get to know the new programme. I'm going 2 Mao restaurant tomorrow night and I'm wondering if anyone knows the pp value of Five Spice Chicken. Also, does any one know of a low/ no point garlic dressing? I've been using the Tesco light choices balsamic dressing (its ok) and I've tried the honey & mustard one but I dont like that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey all, I haven't drank much alcohol since starting with ww, but I will be tomorrow night!

Could anyone tell me how many pp are in a measure of vodka, and also how many is in a bottle of budweiser?
    I've very apprehensive about drinking on ww this time I have to say, I guess its because its so high in pp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Vodka is 3 pp per measure. Don't know about the Budweiser!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement