Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

Hey everyone...
    Kinda went on a binge last nite... only used 3pp until dinner den i had pizza baguettes for 16pp and den i spent the rest on chocolate and crisps and even used 1 of my weeklies i dont no what happened me:(.. i no i wasn down this week but this is the point i always give up but this time i dont want to i so want to loose this weight i no i have alot to loose but im taking it one silver seven at a time.. im going shopping today and not buying any crisps or chocolate then at least if its not there i wont eat it well i hope anyway... i just dont want to give up now :(...

m'lady wrote: »
    I think those baguettes are about 10 pp,without any fillings, I could be wrong, but I know they are high enough.

I am just thinking could that nutritional info be Just for the chicken and the sauce and not include the roll?

With regards abrakebra i emailed then to ask what the story with nutritional info is and they never got back to me so they not getting my business anymore.. i emailed supermacs around the same time and i got evrything from them which i passed on so fair play to them:p

izzy24 wrote: »
    With regards abrakebra i emailed then to ask what the story with nutritional info is and they never got back to me so they not getting my business anymore.. i emailed supermacs around the same time and i got evrything from them which i passed on so fair play to them:p

Just emailed Abrakebra again so if i hear anything will let you no...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Just on the point about fruit, I have to say I am very annoyed that my leader has never mentioned pointing fruit at all, but also just thinking here, I always get the WW magazine,and it doesn't ever mention it there either? I'm thinking of calling WW Ireland to confirm, as I'm starting to think that the leaders are making up a lot of this as they go along!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mcb81

dammitj wrote: »
    Wow - 5 stone - that's amazing!!

I was down 1.5 last night so delighted with that - 8lbs to goal - bring it on!!!

8 pounds to go thats brilliant!!! you'll be at goal before you know it. Well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Kay_80 wrote: »
    Shoe lover I'd try swap out some of the treats you had for proper food 12pp is alot to use on treats In a day & with all the fruit & your breakfast cereal it seems like alot of sugar.

On the fruit & veg front that seems fine I probably have the same but maybe add some complex carb or extra protien for lunch? 40g of wholemeal pasta, brown rice or cous cous? Ryvita even

I find the days I eat noodles for dinner are my low point dinner days but it means I can have a higher point lunch or breakfast . One nest of m&s noodles is 2pp where as 60g of brown basmatti rice is 6pp so what I do if I get home & have lots of points left I swap out the noodles for rice or add extra protien. Another trick I do is make a bowl of porridge in the evening to satisfy hunger & a sweet tooth (some frozen berries or splenda)

I was finding it hard to eat my points too but the answer is not eating nearly a third on crappy (nutritionally speaking!) food while you may lose weight this way it's not really a good way to do it, it's easy to put back on & you don't want to be a skinny fat person ie someone who looks skinny on the outside but actually has high BP, high cholesterol, high blood sugar etc etc.

Maybe set aside 6pp max per day for treats? & maybe try to vary up your lunch by having chicken salad instead of smoked salmon.

Not trying to be preachy at all so hope that didn't come off as a lecture! I didn't mean it to if it did!! :)

thats what i do!have bowl of porridge in the evening, its great if im pulling a late night on assignments.

sometimes put a dab of jam in it, sometimes nutella, or golden syriup (left over from the pancakes few weeks ago) if we have strawberries, i'll squish them up and mircowave them and have home made strawberry jam for 0pp to put on top of the porridge.

Another favourite of mine is poached eggs on rice cakes...with lashings of chili flakes, black pepper, garlic,

Or you could just start having a 4th meal. like a light super in the evening after your dinner, with the new plan....its not just about staying within the points i feel....its about HOW you use your points. I use nearly all my weeklies nearly every single week and some weeks i'm down 2 or 3 sometimes.

if you know y our prone to snacking, have ww friendly stuff around :)

Tesco Mild Chili Rice Cakes......YUM! 1pp each
    (the chocolate and yoghurt rice cakes are really a rip off points wise)

Tesco Light Choices cake slices, (same idea as the ww cakes)

Cans of ww spaghetti,

Knorr Snack Soups (Pasta and mozzarella 3pp each 5pp for two sachets)

Lots of recipes for cookies and muffins on here too :) they always good to have around :) i'm making big batch of lemon muffins today after college cos i have a long weekend of assignemnts ahead of me....i'll need them

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

mcb81 wrote: »
    8 pounds to go thats brilliant!!! you'll be at goal before you know it. Well done :D

Thanks!

I've only lost 9.5lbs since start of January, so weight loss is DEFFO slowing down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Great losses McB81 & dammitj well done! How great a feeling is that having lost 5 stone on one hand & nearly at goal on the other! I salute ye both you're an inspiration to the rest of us :D

Lainey good call on the mushed up strawberries must give that a go, also like the egg on ricecakes! I usually put peanut butter or some cheese & salad.

I think bread is my big problem I love it too much & I'd pretty much cut it out since I started except maybe having a sambo once a week, until last weeks 6 days in a row of scrummy brown batch I found in Aldi! Gorgeous bread but the devil when it comes to weightloss even though I pointed it correctly & everything it just bloats me & makes me gain on the scales back to the odd nimble bread sambo me thinks just as well I like ryvitta & Melba toast! :P

I know we've had this discussion lots of times already BUT I just wanted to see other ppls take I'm drinking about 2 ltrs per day & have cut out diet coke & diet 7up except for mixers with alcohol & one can per week as a sweet treat.

I also have cut down on coffee & find myself drinking alot of peppermint tea (3 or 4 large mugs) this is caffeine free so I was wondering could/would you count the peppermint tea as some water intake much like drinking water with sugar free dilute? I don't like dilute & find just drinking plain water boring.

I know it's a weird Q but I'm finding I've enough water after dinner say about 8 o clock but I continue sipping away till 10 (go to bed at 11) & I'd rather swap back over to peppermint tea at this stage but am afraid it's a diuretic (sp??) like reg tea or coffee.... Any ideas? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

It's fine. Coffee and tea can be a bit of a diuretic, but not as much as was previously thought. Tea and coffee can contribute to your fluid intake for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    ProPoints® Value: 13

Looks yum, I'd rather tuna steak than beef anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

mcb81 wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted to lose 2.5 last night, bringing me to the 5 stone mark. :D My leader was really happy for me and has been very supportive. Aiming for a silver 7 for Easter now.

Well done. That's a great achievement & will motivate you towards that silver seven for Easter. Good luck.
    dammitj wrote: »
    I was down 1.5 last night so delighted with that - 8lbs to goal - bring it on!!!

You'll get there by the summer if you stick with it. Good luck.

Thanks DammitJ I want sure & I'm doing the at home plan so couldn't ask a leader :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

kay
    i agree with dammitj on this one. I'd say tea is definitely contributing to your water intake..
    I have my doubts when i put milk into it,, but i count it as fluid-water when it's just some herbal tea, like green tea or fruit tea.. i think is a healthier choice than diluted, although i like diluted better :p but i always have red berries tea around in case i want a hot, nice tasting, 0pp drink...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi guys. Went to the doctor yesterday, have a chest infection :(

Don't feel too bad today but still going to take tomorrow off work aswell so I can properly rest.

Dropped into WI on way home from doc, down 4.5lbs. I was in absolute shock, I thought I was going to be up from Paddys shenanigans (went approx 30PP over my dailies and weeklies and only exercised 3 days). I am thinking a good chunk of that is because I didnt eat much yesterday.

I would usually have had bowl of shreddies with lf milk, yoghurt and banana and for lunch chicken salad and a packet of 2PP crisps. Yesterday I just had some fruit salad and 1 slice of toast. I don't think the whole 4.5lbs was because I didnt eat as much as I normally would on WI day, what do you guys think? I'd say about half of it was down that...

I'll have to be careful this week as to not put it back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Right that's it! I'm going to stop into Tesco Extra on the way home tomorrow and stock up on WW friendly stuff! I'm defo going to buy some porridge for the evenings! That's a great idea, it's so filling but such a comfort food too!

I agree with Lainy, the Tesco Chilli rice cakes are delish! So are the Salt & Vingear ones and even better value - 3 for 2pp. I have them for lunch today with a Low Low Cheese Triangle and a bowl of Carrot and Coriander Soup!:D

Well done on the loss Monife :D !!! Brilliant news & I'd say this is the C25K kicking in if I remember correctly you had a small loss last wk & wk before??

Maybe 1/2 lb is to do with being Ill but the rest is all the hard work you've done I'm sure! :) it'll give you a great boost for nxt WI as well, feel better soon & lots of fluids & rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

izzy24 wrote: »
    according to supermacs a 99 cone is 5pp so i assume its for a small one and them add the flake???:P

Sounds delish, it's my favourite and I hardly ever have it. Not too bad points wise. Does a "99" not mean it has the flake so you probably don't have to add further.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭jakeypooh

After reading that about the fruit Im really worried...
    I think we really need some clarification as to whether we need to point it after a certain amount and how to do this??
    Ive never read it in the ww mag or on either the irish site or english site.

Did you ring the ww office here by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

God I am so hungry today. I've already had 21 out of my 33 points :o I always find if you start the day badly it just keeps going. I usually have fruit for breakfasts but my boss brought croissants in this morning and I couldn't resist having a plain one (6pp). Then I was starving by 11 and had an apple and a banana. Had to go out at lunch to buy a birthday present. On the way to the shops I had a bag of popcorn (4pp) and I had to grab something while out so got a Count on Us wrap from M&S (7pp...so worth it, I could have eaten two!) and I intended to get a pack of mango, my favourite, but they'd hardly any fruit so I ended up getting a pack of reduced fat crisps :o (4pp).

And I'm STILL not completely full! I know it's because I made bad choices with my lunch. I'll have to try and stay within my 12 remaining pp for the rest of the day as I don't want to go into my weeklies only 2 days into the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Well done on the loss Monife :D !!! Brilliant news & I'd say this is the C25K kicking in if I remember correctly you had a small loss last wk & wk before??

Maybe 1/2 lb is to do with being Ill but the rest is all the hard work you've done I'm sure! :) it'll give you a great boost for nxt WI as well, feel better soon & lots of fluids & rest.

Heya Kay. Thats what my mam said aswell, it is the good weeks catching up on me. Yeah had small losses for a while now. Still so shocked though seeing as I was rather bold last week, but just goes to show you think you are being bold but if you werent doing WW imagine what you would have chosen, for example I got a kids chicken nugget meal in the chipper on Paddys day, but before I would have got like a quarter pounder and garlic cheese chips or something equally as bold.

Re: the fruit. I dont think there is any point worrying about it unless you are eating more than 5 portions a day. A portion would be 1 small banana or apple or handful or grapes or strawberries. Our leader said you should eat 8 portions of fruit and veg a day and she says it should be 3 portions fruit 5 portions veg/salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

jakeypooh wrote: »
    After reading that about the fruit Im really worried...
    I think we really need some clarification as to whether we need to point it after a certain amount and how to do this??
    Ive never read it in the ww mag or on either the irish site or english site.

Did you ring the ww office here by any chance?

Ladies, I don't wish to sound smart, but I just think with the fruit and vegetables use your own common sense.
    I know from my own experience and similar to the stock cubes, it's not eating an extra few pieces of fruit every day that has me overweight.

Just pulled this off the Nutrition and Health Foundation website, because I was wondering the other what one portion was.

Choose at least 5 or more of the following each day:
    1 serving is equal to:
    1 small glass of fruit juice or
    1 medium sized fresh fruit e.g. apple, orange, banana
    2 small sized fresh fruit e.g. plums, mandarins, kiwi
    3 - 4 dessertspoons of cooked vegetables or salad, including peas and beans
    Small bowl of homemade vegetable soup
    3 dessertspoons cooked or tinned fruit (not in syrup)

God I am so hungry today. I've already had 21 out of my 33 points :o I always find if you start the day badly it just keeps going. I usually have fruit for breakfasts but my boss brought croissants in this morning and I couldn't resist having a plain one (6pp). Then I was starving by 11 and had an apple and a banana. Had to go out at lunch to buy a birthday present. On the way to the shops I had a bag of popcorn (4pp) and I had to grab something while out so got a Count on Us wrap from M&S (7pp...so worth it, I could have eaten two!) and I intended to get a pack of mango, my favourite, but they'd hardly any fruit so I ended up getting a pack of reduced fat crisps :o (4pp).

And I'm STILL not completely full! I know it's because I made bad choices with my lunch. I'll have to try and stay within my 12 remaining pp for the rest of the day as I don't want to go into my weeklies only 2 days into the week!

It's crazy how snacking just makes you more hungry. Even when you've had a normal lunch.

I remember starting a food blog here when I first re-joined WW last August, and someone advised me to start having porridge in the morning. I dismissed the advice, saying I didn't have time to make it, didn't like the taste or consistency. But have to say I'm converted now!
    Before I would have had a few ryvita as a mid-morning snack, but since I've started having porridge, I'm not hungry for that anymore.
    And I look forward to my lunch rather than feeling ravenous.
    Must try having it at night tho if I'm feeling picky.

Exactly Monife when we're 'bold' now it's a drop in the ocean to how bold we were in the past & the likelyhood is pre WW I'd have been bold Wednesday to Monday with zero exercise & would have eaten a shedloads of haribo to help with hangovers each day! :P

That's the same kind of mix I have for fruit & veg about 3:5 being 8 total but sometimes I have 4 fruit if I decide to put a handful of frozen berries on porridge in the evening

I think ppl need to stop freaking out on the fruit if you're eating shedloads & you're still getting losses well brilliant but if you're eating shedloads & not losing or are gaining maybe re evaluate the amount of fruit you are eating. Everyone is different & eating fruit is better than biscuits or those pink yokes!

I eat 3-4, 1 piece being a banana it works for me & I'm not giving it up :P there again though that doesn't mean I can eat unlimited all day every day moderation is the Key! ;)

m'lady wrote: »
    I think those baguettes are about 10 pp,without any fillings, I could be wrong, but I know they are high enough.

I am just thinking could that nutritional info be Just for the chicken and the sauce and not include the roll?

The half size cuisine de france baguette you buy in a Centra type shop is 8 pp according to my leader. The one you bake in the oven yourself is 7 according to the nuti info on the pack. It's possible that the one from Abrakebabra is smaller sized or it's not the same type of bread (you know the way sub-way bread 6in is much lighter) and they just call it baguette.

In any event I would say that the 5pp def doesn't include mayo or other sauces, would say it's just the chicken and salad ingredients. It does sound low though. If anyone has ever bought one can you let us know the size/type bread etc and we'll try figure it out to be sure. Thanks.

Exactly Kildarash it's not the extra fruit, stock cubes or bloody spray oil that has us here in the first place! As you say commen sense is the key! :)

Thanks for posting what a ''portion size" is I would have been right on the fruit but would have thought a bit more on the veg 2 tablespoons seems small if talking about chopped veg for a stirfry as in pepper, sugar snaps etc but good to know all the same!

Edit: okay so is a dessertspoon much bigger than a tablespoon or are they the same? I get confused bu that!

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Confession time ppl :(

Went home last night and had a total chocolate BINGE :( Don't know what is wrong with me, I'm struggling to eat my full 29pp a day, even though I feel like I'm eating LOADS. Last night after dinner, I had 12pp left, which I just wasted on chocolate. This is what I had yesterday:

Breakfast (4pp):
    Handful of Blueberries,
    30g Fruit & Fibre
    1/4 pint Skimmed Milk
    1 sliced banana

Tea-Break (0pp):
    1 Banana

Lunch(2pp):
    60g Smoked Salmon
    Lettuce
    5 slices cucumber
    5 cherry tomatoes
    5 slices Beetroot
    1/4 red pepper
    1/4 orange pepper

4pm Snack (1pp):
    1 diet yogurt

Dinner (9pp)
    Chicken Chow Mein
    Noodles

Snacks after dinner (12pp)
    1 Chilli Rice Cake
    1 WW Chocolate Biscuit
    1 WW Mini Roll
    1 WW Chocolate Bar
    1 Normal Size Crunchie

Milk for the Day (1pp)
    1/4 pint Skimmed Milk

I know my lunch was ridiculously low points, I normally add coleslaw to my salad but I'd none left. I have WI tonight and now feel like I've probably blown it even though I stuck to my points! Am trying to be good and have brought a higher pointed 4pp lunch with me today. I think I might be relying on the zero-pointed fruit & veg too much, what do ppl think?

Do you not eat any bread / rolls / wraps? Might fill you more so you wouldn't crave the chocolate??

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm something for me?

At my wife's meeting someone asked at what point do you point fruit?
    and the were told that once you go over 6pieces of fruit in a day you need to allow points for any addition fruit you eat.

Is this also the case for Veg/Salads?

I tend to eat 3/4 pieces of fruit a day, at least 1 salad(with 5/6 different items) and 2/3 different veg if I have cooked dinner( otherwise a second salead).

Is this never going to end about the fruit!! It's really bad the way different classes are being given different information. Don't point any fresh fruit or tinned or jarred fruit in it's own juice except for avocado and point only the veg that we know from our handbooks and experience needs to be pointed - potatoes, turnip etc. Just live like this and you will reach a balance. STOP WORRYING EVERYONE, the sky is not going to fall in if you eat a bit of extra fruit believe me.

Exactly Kildarash it's not the extra fruit, stock cubes or bloody spray oil that has us here in the first place! As you say commen sense is the key! :)

Thanks for posting what a ''portion size" is I would have been right on the fruit but would have thought a bit more on the veg 2 tablespoons seems small if talking about chopped veg for a stirfry as in pepper, sugar snaps etc but good to know all the same!

Edit: okay so is a dessertspoon much bigger than a tablespoon or are they the same? I get confused bu that!

Kay - 2 dessertspoon = 1 tablespoon.

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Can someone confirm something for me?

At my wife's meeting someone asked at what point do you point fruit?
    and the were told that once you go over 6pieces of fruit in a day you need to allow points for any addition fruit you eat.

Is this also the case for Veg/Salads?

I tend to eat 3/4 pieces of fruit a day, at least 1 salad(with 5/6 different items) and 2/3 different veg if I have cooked dinner( otherwise a second salead).

Hiya! You are doing really well on this plan because I saw your losses for the past few weeks in an earlier post. What you are eating and the way you are eating it is obviously working for you so why would what was said at your wife's meeting give you any doubt? The whole point of this plan is to learn to eat to live. Different things will work for different people but in general the plan works, every one just has to find their own balance. Keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Right that's it! I'm going to stop into Tesco Extra on the way home tomorrow and stock up on WW friendly stuff! I'm defo going to buy some porridge for the evenings! That's a great idea, it's so filling but such a comfort food too!

I agree with Lainy, the Tesco Chilli rice cakes are delish! So are the Salt & Vingear ones and even better value - 3 for 2pp. I have them for lunch today with a Low Low Cheese Triangle and a bowl of Carrot and Coriander Soup!:D

Hi S-L
    Are you sure about the salt & vinegar tesco rice cakes? I bought a packet the other day and i pointed them at 1pp each.. must multiply by 3 in the calculator see if comes up with 2 pp.. i could have had one extra yesterday.. i love them things.. :D

had the yellowfin sole with lemon&pepper from Aldi last nite and it was lovely.. someone said it was 5pp but i pointed it at 4.. can anybody confirm?
    Now i'm having doubts that i'm pointing things right!! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement